MIT AHH vs Canti Sam

Drew Henson

Jan 16, 2020, 3:40:47 PM1/16/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've had an MIT AHH for about a year now. Really like the ride, perfect commuter for me. But I was wondering if I might prefer the slightly burlier sam. I think I also prefer the sam aesthetics over the MIT AHH. But I know Riv lumps them into the same category for 95% of the cases so I was wondering if anyone had ridden both and could comment on the differences/similarities?

I did a search and couldn't find an old thread so apologies if this has been discussed before.

aeroperf

Jan 16, 2020, 4:36:48 PM1/16/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I’ve had a Sam since 2015.  I got one of the MIT AHH frames in July and built it up and rode it for 200 miles.
I prefer the Sam.  Specifically, it feels stiffer and, for me, corners quicker.  I like that.  You may not.  It does, indeed, feel “burlier” to me.  The AHH feels “looser”, or rather, “springier”.
I can only compare it to cars - the AHH feels like a 1999 Buick LeSabre, the Sam feels like an MGB.
If you like the soft ride (and look at the “chain stay thread” regarding ride), stick with the AHH.  If you like a “goes where you point it but vibrates a little more on the road” ride, go with the Sam.
Your Mileage May Vary.

Adam Leibow

Jan 16, 2020, 5:15:56 PM1/16/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
i have the Sam and do find it to be stiff and it rides like a touring bike. i'd think the homer might be more appropriate for a brevet or something with less of a load. what size do you ride and where are you located? if in the bay area you can ride my 58 canti sam.

Drew Henson

Jan 16, 2020, 7:52:06 PM1/16/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm in Seattle, but I appreciate it. Of course the fact that they found a couple 55cm Sams laying in the back room, that would be my size, rehashed the internal debate I went through when I got the homer.

I like the ride of the homer for my commute (9 miles each way) but it's also not my preferred choice for sportier rides. It also wouldn't be my choice for 1-2 night camping trip or gravel ride. This could be limited by my imagination as I just don't see people using the AHH for that, but I have seen people use the sam for it. So the homer, for me at least, it kinda stuck in the commuter zone which is totally fine, I just wonder if the sam might be a little more versatile overall by providing some beef for the tougher stuff (NOT adventure riding or long touring, note) while also hitting the commuter zone.

Eamon Nordquist

Jan 16, 2020, 9:59:45 PM1/16/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
If I had a Homer, I wouldn’t hesitate to use it for 1-2 night camping trips and/or gravel rides. I think that falls right in with the “country bike” description. A Sam is probably capable of heavier loads, but I think they’re probably two sides of the same coin.

Eamon
Seattle

ted

Jan 16, 2020, 10:17:44 PM1/16/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have an early AHH (56 so 650b).
I regularly take it on group rides where everybody else is riding a MCFRB. Works great. Ive also done plenty of rides with it that those folks think need a mtn bike. Also works great. My wife has a Sam. I believe that build choices make a much bigger difference than the functional differences between those two frames.
Now the new extra long chainstay MIT homers may well be somewhat different critters (see other thread).

Drew Henson

Jan 17, 2020, 12:28:38 AM1/17/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
ted - that's a solid point about the build choices. my plan, until I saw the canti sams in the garage section, was to try some 42mm knobbies or something on the homer this summer and give it a go. still think that's what i'll do but you know, the mind wonders.

RichS

Jan 17, 2020, 11:32:46 AM1/17/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Drew:

Your observation about the MIT Homer is one I've had as well. I've ridden my recently built Homer for a couple of months; longest ride being 60 miles. What aeroperf says about the MIT Homer and Sam mirrors my experiences as well. I've owned my Sam since 2015 and have thought many times about having a second one (especially a canti version). I do love this bike!

Both bikes are set up identically: bars, racks, saddles, drive train, wheels/tires (650b/38mm), 51cm size. I can't say the 2cm or so longer chainstays on the Homer make a difference in the ride.

For sure the Homer is a bit less stout (tubing is a "smidge" lighter as the Riv catalog says). I agree with you that the Sam has a weightier feel and I think I prefer that bit of difference myself. That doesn't take anything away from the Homer. The ride is refined and comfortable; fabrication and paint is excellent (note on the paint: in sunlight a metallic glow emerges) - everything one would expect in a Rivendell.

Best,
Rich in ATL

phil k

Jan 17, 2020, 4:31:47 PM1/17/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've had both MIT AHH and Sam. I think the AHH is the ticket if you're going to be mostly on roads.

If you're going to do some week long tours, or go off road, then a Sam will do well.

I personally preferred the MIT AHH before selling it to REC, due to a custom Grand Bois coming in.

tc

Jan 17, 2020, 5:20:17 PM1/17/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Some commenters who have owned both MIT AHH and Sam prefer the Sam.  Count me in that group.  I used to have a 61.6 MIT AHH and a 2016 58 sidepull Sam.  I now have a 2016 62 sidepull Sam, my fav of all 3.  The Sam oddly feels more maneuverable, yet stouter to me, but not not slow (chainstays?  trail?).   I haven't tried the canti Sam.  The sidepull version works fine for me with 44 Snoq Pass -- plenty of tire for that bike, though no fenders.  I believe the sidepull version has the shortest chainstays, if that makes a diff to you.  You might be able to find a bargain on a sidepull Sam these days.

Tom

Roberta

Jan 18, 2020, 4:09:51 AM1/18/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I bought Phil's AHH, and only riding change I made to it was to add saddle and pedals. I test rode a Sam and a Joe Appaloosa years ago; The Joe A. was my preferred choice and I purchased it. It had an undescribable dreamy ride.

I have used the words 'springy' and 'refined' to describe th AHH. Aeroperf describes its ride as a Buick Le Sabre, so that explains to me why I preferred both my bikes to the Sam. Not that I thought the Sam ride was bad.

Also, and I think this has much to do with it--I'm in the middle of the size for both my bikes, so they fit perfectly. With an 83 pbh, I was at the top end for "my size" Sam. It might just have been the size issue, my bikes just fit better, and therefore, feel better.
Roberta (REC)

John G.

Jan 19, 2020, 10:26:18 AM1/19/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Anyone with a 90 PBH riding a 62 Sam?

tom coppedge

Jan 19, 2020, 12:17:19 PM1/19/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
90.5 pbh and absolutely thrilled with my 62. 130 reach stem with albatross bar.

Tom

On Sun, Jan 19, 2020 at 10:26 AM John G. <jpg...@gmail.com> wrote:
Anyone with a 90 PBH riding a 62 Sam?

John G.

Jan 19, 2020, 1:19:15 PM1/19/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Would you mind posting a pic? Sorry, I tried to DM but I’m on mobile.

tc

Jan 19, 2020, 5:04:56 PM1/19/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hey John, I have a few pic's here.  Saddle height 79.5.

maxcr

Jan 20, 2020, 7:44:31 PM1/20/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I did for a while (2016 Sam) - the stand over was tight but doable, however after playing with stems -always with a drop bar - decided that I felt too stretched out. If it doesn’t sell I might try to put some albatross or Billie bars to try it out again... I loved the bike other than feeling stretched.
Max