Need inspiration: Show me your wrapped handlebars, please?

Sofie C

Oct 23, 2021, 8:39:40 AM10/23/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've enjoyed the newbaum cotton wrapped handlebars on my platy so much that I am going get them on my riv blue clem! Anyone care to share pics of yours? Looking for some color inspo (i.e. wavering between something elegant and subdued like dark blue, grey, or brown -- to something more striking like orange or even hot pink).

lconley

Oct 23, 2021, 8:50:20 AM10/23/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
My two tone blue on drops - my first attempt at harlequin wrapping. Not the best picture, but the only one that I have.

IMG_1754 (2).JPG
Laing

Sofie C

Oct 23, 2021, 9:36:17 AM10/23/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Laing, what a beautiful job! I am impressed. Was it difficult to do yourself?

lucky...@gmail.com

Oct 23, 2021, 9:40:49 AM10/23/21
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I don’t currently have any taped bars, but the next ones I do will definitely be tie dye. The inspiration is Blue Lug’s tie dye tape and this page from Velo Orange. Maybe a nice ombre.

On Oct 23, 2021, at 06:36, Sofie C <sof...@gmail.com> wrote:

Laing, what a beautiful job! I am impressed. Was it difficult to do yourself?

lconley

Oct 23, 2021, 10:23:02 AM10/23/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
It requires a lot of patience, not necessarily hard - I had to redo parts of it several times - trying to keep it even and symmetrical - obviously something that becomes easier with practice. I tried to do it off of the bike at first, but I think it was actually easier on the bike. The two tone blue the two roll style. There is also a four roll style that actually looks easier to do. There are videos on Youtube that show how. The real trick is learning how to make it follow curves, which i did not manage to do. It reminds me of lacing lanyards when I was in the Boy Scouts many years ago.
I have a (Hunqapillar Green) Bombadil that I am putting Crust Towel Rack bars on that I intend to try the 4 roll method on. Celeste Green, Forest Green and orange - two rolls of one of the greens, and one roll of the other green and one of orange. The below is a two rolls of tan, one black roll and one white roll, obviously done by some one who has done a few. Go ahead and experiment, handlebar tape is fairly inexpensive compared to other bike parts.
Harlequin.JPG

Laing

Karl Wilcox

Oct 23, 2021, 6:34:14 PM10/23/21
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
How do you guys keep the bar tape so clean?

Tom M

Oct 23, 2021, 7:25:08 PM10/23/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
65076308421__991D1118-34A0-4AB4-BB1D-ED920F9167B7.jpeg
Velo Orange tape on my single speed. Very cushy and pretty easy to wrap.
Tom in Alexandria, VA

Pancake

Oct 24, 2021, 10:15:02 AM10/24/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I’m planning to do the four color wrap, but it wasn’t too easy to find directions online, here are my notes from a search last month:

The best directions:

1 White
1 Black
2 Orange

Yes; just tried it. The two same-colored strands (orange in this case) go parallel, and the accent colors (white and black here) go antiparallel to the orange (and parallel to each other). It's an over-under-over-under weave--each strand takes that course.

Actually believe it or not, it's simpler to make look good than the normal 2-strand 2-color variety, because since each strand does not wrap next to itself on the next revolution, you can use more of an angle to the bar, producing a nicer diamond shape, and all colors have nice even diamonds. I think it doesn't even cost as much more as one might think (assuming you get a roll size of at least 8 or 9 feet) because each strand covers almost twice the bar as on the two-strand variety, so you only have to buy *1* of each color and then you cut the main color (orange here) in half to obtain the necessary two strands per side.

In fact this weave is so much nicer than the 2-strand variety, I would recommend using it even for a two-color harlequin, using two strands of each color. AND, for a sparser (perhaps less garish) look, you can do 3 strands of one color and 1 strand of the accent, producing few more widely spaced accent diamonds.

Erik

Oct 24, 2021, 1:17:00 PM10/24/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
These aren't complicated wrapping patterns at all, but I like to mess around with new color combinations and wraps on a regular basis.  A good source of interesting color combinations are plaid patterns.  You can find a lot of interesting color combinations / harmonies / contrasts in those patterns.

These are the current iterations on my Rivs.  First photo is my orange Appaloosa - light gray, yellow, lime green with a custom mix of amber and clear shellac, also Campandgoslow western diamondback tape on Jones H-loop. Second photo is my Susie / Wolbis: light gray and yellow with clear shellac on Persuader bars.  Third is my Atlantis: chocolate, yellow, burnt orange, dark gray with mostly clear shellac on Albatross bars.

I'm also starting to mess around with colored shellac.  I discovered that I can use shellac-based drawing inks to successfully color clear shellac into whatever color or hue my heart desires.  It opens up a lot of interesting possibilities.  I should probably be putting this time and effort into my actual artwork!

Erik

steve bishop

Oct 24, 2021, 3:22:51 PM10/24/21
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hi Erik

Love all those bars...and need that stem!
Is that the 710 Jones? I'm looking for anyone with experience of the 610.
Below are my Nitto "Commuter Bars". Heat-treated nonetheless. Just grey tape and Amber shellac...but ODI BMX grips that I love.

Happy wrapping!

Steve

Erik

Oct 24, 2021, 4:00:05 PM10/24/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
ODI grips!  Oh, man...that takes me waaaay back to my early BMX bikes.  I can feel them just looking at your photo.

And yes, those are the 710 Jones bars.  I've not tried the narrower version, but love these bars on the Appaloosa in its current configuration.  I was dubious about the width initially, but have come to appreciate the longer grip area.  And I really like the Discord w(Right) stems.  I have a 50mm on the Appaloosa and a 30mm on the Susie, both in the clear coat finish.  It looks particularly good with the clear coat Persuader bar.  Lots of raw steel!

Erik

On Sunday, October 24, 2021 at 12:22:51 PM UTC-7 :

steve bishop

Oct 25, 2021, 12:10:09 AM10/25/21
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for replying Erik.
Glad as a noob that I came up with something on the relative "rad-scale"!

Steve

Ted Durant

Oct 25, 2021, 11:11:52 AM10/25/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Okay, here are a few, all drop bars, mostly 2-color weave, one 3-color (4 strands), and one experiment with 2-color overlap on the drops. The colors on the Bleriot aren't quite right in the photo - the tape is brown and tan, and the frame is "root beer" and cream.

_MG_0234.jpgIMG_0044.JPGIMG_0904.JPGIMG_1731.JPGIMG_1783.JPGIMG_2381.JPGPhoto Nov 17, 10 34 18 AM.jpg

George Schick

Oct 25, 2021, 11:52:43 AM10/25/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I prefer the two-color "splash" tape, though I realize it's not to everyone's liking.  Here's a pic of Noodle bars on the Ram wrapped up in orange/white.  This tape has become heavily "beausaged" over the years, but unfortunately Cinelli no longer offers that color combo.  So I keep patching it up as best as possible with contact cement, etc. and live with it.

DSCN0174.JPG

Mike Packard

Oct 25, 2021, 11:56:54 AM10/25/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm pretty happy with how my first time doing harlequin turned out. 100% re-used wrap. Dirty but kinda cool. Things I learned:

- Newbaums can be re-used if you keep it intact when unwrapping from an existing bar, even if it was shellecked. The sticky still works. Part of it even ripped but once I wrapped it it stayed in place.
- The colors fade pretty quickly so I wouldn't worry about anything you choose being too loud. Maybe shellac might keep the colors brighter longer?
- It was tedious but not particularly difficult. As others have said the hard part is keeping the criss cross straight oriented. I didn't worry about it because, well, just look at it. :)
- I was happy with how the faded/unfaded parts of the green & blue tape almost created an extra color combo.

Mike
IMG_7933.jpeg
IMG_7936.jpeg

Max S

Oct 25, 2021, 3:27:53 PM10/25/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Wow, Ted, really hitting it out of the park with those wraps!

Here's a couple simpler ones... Fun, though.

- Max "no further comment" in A2

Fuji Supreme 700c Frencophile winter mode.jpg

Ebisu All Arounder 700c tie dye bars.jpg

Mike Blackwell

Oct 27, 2021, 3:08:31 PM10/27/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Wow, those multiple-roll tape jobs look super nice, definitely keeping it in mind for the future!

For simpler single roll applications BTP (Bar Tape Products, a Taiwanese company) has a lot of nice patterns in various materials and thickness. This one turned out well on my gravel bike:
IMG_3791.jpg

maxcr

Nov 21, 2021, 5:07:45 PM11/21/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi All,

I just found this old video on wrapping harlequin handlebars, I searched and it was posted once before in 2013, but I think it's still relevant and it features a hunqa!

Enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le43Tm6neVo

Max currently wrapping his Atlantis which is going back to noodle dropbars

dylan green

Nov 29, 2021, 12:37:11 PM11/29/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
love the Velox wrap!