Leah Peterson Takes A Stand

Bicycle Belle Ding Ding!

Jan 19, 2021, 10:04:27 PM1/19/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Ok, that got your attention.

I’m not actually taking a stand so much as BUYING a stand. I have had it with trying to work on a bike on its kickstand. Tonight I tried to put sealant in my tire and the tire deflated and my Clementine tipped over. Hopping mad...that would be an apt description of me in the garage tonight. I’m sick and tired of wrecking my back and fed up with the awkwardness of working on a bike that is always threatening to tip over. I’m taking a stand against not having a stand.

I know Rivendell sells a stand but last I checked, it is sold out and also $$$. Is there anything that makes their stand worth waiting for?

I don’t have many preferences, save two: I don’t want something that takes up a bunch of room, and I want the clamp to be on the seat post. (Not the frame.)

You’re the best!
Leah

rlti...@gmail.com

Jan 19, 2021, 10:21:54 PM1/19/21
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I have an older version of this stand. It collapses down into a bag so it is easy to store. It is stable and you can definitely clamp the seat post with it. If you have the Grant approved fistful of seat post you may need to raise the saddle a bit to fit the clamp.

https://www.rei.com/product/729321/feedback-sports-pro-elite-bike-repair-stand-with-tote-bag

Robert Tilley
San Diego, CA

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 19, 2021, at 7:04 PM, Bicycle Belle Ding Ding! <jonasa...@gmail.com> wrote:

Ok, that got your attention.

Eric Norris

Jan 19, 2021, 10:26:44 PM1/19/21
to RBW
I have a Park Tool stand similar to this one:

I’ve had mine for a few years. Folds up easily, holds the bike very steady. The clamp rotates to hold via the seat post (my preferred location) or the top tube.

Mine differs from the stands on the Park web site in the way the legs fold up and in the way the clamp works. Otherwise very much the same. I can highly recommend it.

--Eric Norris
campyo...@me.com
Insta: @CampyOnlyGuy
YouTube: YouTube.com/CampyOnlyGuy

Ian A

Jan 20, 2021, 12:13:40 AM1/20/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Another option to consider: my friend has two rubber coated hooks on ropes dropping from the roof beam which hold the bicycle at the right height and surprisingly securely. Not as secure as a stand, but the rope/hooks were inexpensive, fold completely our of the way when not in use and don't mar stickers or paintwork (if poor stand clamping technique is used).

The main advantage is not having a stand being in the way when not in use. Even folded up, they take up room.

IanA Alberta Canada

Philip Williamson

Jan 20, 2021, 12:44:01 AM1/20/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
That Park stand is the standard.
I am so cheap, I built and rebuilt bikes for years and years until i got a stand as a present. Life changing.

Philip
Santa Rosa,CA

Hetchins52

Jan 20, 2021, 2:21:22 AM1/20/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
The Park is a good value and solid. I have an Ultimate from many years ago -- Resembles the Feedback Sports and folds smaller and is lighter than the Park. But it does cost more. The Feedback tool tray is a significant accessory to add to the package.
Being able to change height and rotate your bike while it is in the stand is a big advantage over the hooks suspended from ceiling joist method where the bike is always swinging away from you as you try to work on it.

David Lipsky
Berkeley, CA

Roberta

Jan 20, 2021, 7:18:31 AM1/20/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Feedback Sfports has a less expensive version too. Anyone have feedback on that one?

Garth

Jan 20, 2021, 8:21:13 AM1/20/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have the Feedback Pro-Elite stand. Prior to this I had the original Park home repair stand, the PCS-1 from the early 90's. Prior to that I used Park shop stands working at a bike shop. Accordingly, the shop ones are the best clamps and stability. If I had a home shop I'd buy one, but I don't so I won't. The original welded one piece grey Park PCS-1 stand had a rotating clamp but no height adjustment, the 2 dog-legs could collapse on each other. While the base of the legs could have been more stable, the overall stability of the bike in the stand was excellent, more stable than my current Feedback Elite stand that collapses into a vertical tripod that can fit into the included bag. I simply store it upright with the 3 legs slightly open. It can be placed anywhere. I like the spring-loaded clamp design and function on it very much, it would be very difficult to clamp anything too much by design. Height adjustability is great. I'll call the stability "adequate", since my gold standard is a shop stand. It's really a by-product of the lighweight and foldable design though and not a defect. Just make sure all the clamps and bolts are properly tight ! I have the nice tool tray for it but seem to forget to use as it has to come off to store it. For quick and easy use as intended I'd recommend the Elite, or at least go to a bike shop that sells them and try one out first. I believe REI store carry these in most stores. That'd be best, to go somewhere that had different brands/models to try them out with your bike !

Comically though, would it be nice to just have a "big dummy" that had the grip and stability of a rock to just lift/hold the bike while you do what you intend to do ?  A good "thank you very much" , when finished and we all go our merry way !

Tom Palmer

Jan 20, 2021, 8:24:14 AM1/20/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Leah,
I have a Bontrager (Trek) branded stand that has a built in place to rest the seat nose (and the weight of the bike) while you tighten the clamp. It is helpful with heavier bikes. I even had a Surly big dummy on it.
I applaud your "go after it" attitude.

Tom Palmer
Twin Lake MI

Garth

Jan 20, 2021, 8:27:36 AM1/20/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Or best yet, never needing to ever touch the bike.... yes that's right .... that which no "human-non-sense" could ever realize. For which there is no word ..... (  (  (          )   )   ) .

Julian Westerhout

Jan 20, 2021, 8:32:27 AM1/20/21
to RBW Owners Bunch

Roberta,

I have an older Ultimate/Feedback Pro rack, and I have a friend who has the current Sport model, which is their more affordable version.

We've also both used the Park deluxe home stand a fair amount while volunteering at our local bike co-op.

The clamp mechanism and adjustability on both of the Feedback models is far better than the Park, IMHO. The three leg design of the Feedback models is also more stable and tip resistant if you set it up to balance a heavy bike.

The major difference I see between the two Feedback models is beefiness and a bit better clamp. If you are using it for typical home use then the Feedback Sport model is fine -- about the same cost as the Park Deluxe and I think it is a better design.

Julian Westerhout
Bloomington, IL

ascpgh

Jan 20, 2021, 9:06:44 AM1/20/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm with Ian from Alberta for expediency and cost effectiveness. Instead of hooks I make loops of rope. Rear goes over a support, length through the show end's loop and cinched around the beam with the long loop end having down to catch the saddle nose. A second loop of rope goes over a beam/joist/heavy nail in wood at its middle, each loop holding a handlebar end. The front end won't pivot freely (corking you in the head with a swinging end of the handlebar). Used in all sorts of improvised work stations including using a 2 x 4 sitting on the rungs of two ladders. Life and bike repair in a construction site.

Robert T.'s Feedback Sports stand is an excellent suggestion too. Bought them for the shop from the original owners (Ultimate) who modified a guitar stand concept to create them. The clamp jaw is pretty compact compared to others.

Andy Cheatham
(Not working on anything for a while)
Pittsburgh

Joel S

Jan 20, 2021, 9:31:50 AM1/20/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
If you have a workbench you could use something like this for under $100.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011NJ3P5I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
711609A3-C778-4934-8048-38A9A719040C.jpeg
B25FDA6A-83C0-405F-AC36-6F267FB642F5.jpeg

aeroperf

Jan 20, 2021, 10:43:51 AM1/20/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
This one works for me, is inexpensive, sturdy, folds up for storage.

Ana Candela

Jan 20, 2021, 11:00:58 AM1/20/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Leah,

I am currently selling my two bike stands: one is the one Riv sells (about 2 years old); the other, a Feedback mid range model (about 6-8 years old?). I'm selling them locally because shipping would be a downside (I would think at least $40),  but I'm open to negotiation. They're both great, but I'm selling because I need a third hand to set my bike on them, and that's something you may want to consider when getting a. stand, whatever model you choose. I can't carry my bike with one hand while affixing the clamp with the other. I've hurt my bike and myself in the process, and I'm looking for a different kind of stand, but apparently it doesn't exist yet, unless I want a huge hydraulic stand for e-bikes. Why can't they make a version of a car/moped jack for bikes? Way cheaper and even way less cumbersome.

Anyway, if you're interested, I can send pics.

-Ana

velomann

Jan 20, 2021, 11:13:56 AM1/20/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have 2 stands - a Park and an old Blackburn. Currently each has a bike in it, and that's true more often than not. But I also have 2 short loops of sewn webbing (rock climbing slings, actually) hanging from eye bolts in my basement ceiling joists that get as much use as my stands. I use 2 other slings, each with a carabiner attached. loop a sling around the top of the seat stays behind the seat, the other at front of toptube, use slings to lift the bike and clip carabiners to ceiling slings. works great for getting to both sides of the bike to clean it and lube chain without having to stoop over.
If you have a garage or basement with exposed joists where you can attach a couple slings, I recommend this even if just as a backup, or when you don't feel like raising the seat to get enough seatpost to clamp in the stand (the drawback to "almost a fistful of seatpost" is it's usually not quite enough to get in the clamp. Ditto if you already have something attached to the seatpost.)  I wrecked the decal on a Bridgestone MB-3 years ago when I got lazy and clamped the seat tube. Won't make that mistake again.

Mike M

lconley

Jan 20, 2021, 11:22:39 AM1/20/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Efficient Velo Tools makes a stand with a pulley and counterweight that allows you to put the clamp on the bike while it is on the floor, then raise it. Down sides - $2750, eight month wait, and NOT portable.

I want one, but will have to "make do" with the Park Shop Stand. Previously, I worked on bikes on the floor or one of these for over 40 years .

s-l300.jpg

Laing

Eric Marth

Jan 20, 2021, 1:53:44 PM1/20/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Nitto C2 display stand. Riv used to sell it (or something similar). Gets the back end elevated. Doesn't solve the problem of getting your bike up to a comfortable working height, though.

Here it is in a page from Catalog No. 6, Spring-Summer 2000.

IMG_2AF05D436B61-1.jpeg

Eric Marth

Jan 20, 2021, 2:31:19 PM1/20/21
to RBW Owners Bunch

Leah Peterson

Jan 20, 2021, 5:39:00 PM1/20/21
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much, everyone! I’m set, and it feels so good.

I went to REI today and got the Feedback Sports Sport Mechanic Repair Stand. It’s quality, as best I can tell. Got home, ripped it out of the box and set it up so do a tubeless sealant refresh. This was what went disastrously for me yesterday, because Leah Peterson had not taken a stand. But today...today was a great day.

I made a video of my sealant refresh so you can see the 99 things I certainly did wrong. It won’t go through here, but you can see it on IG or I’ll email you if you want.
Warmly,
Leah

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 20, 2021, at 11:31 AM, Eric Marth <eric...@gmail.com> wrote:

Available from Rene Herse

Joe Bernard

Jan 21, 2021, 2:33:13 AM1/21/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yesterday you didn't have a repair stand or a way to keep air in that tire. Today there's a video of you with a repair stand showing people how to properly add sealant and air to a tubeless tire. Nice work! 👏👏👏🙂

Joe Bernard

Nick Payne

Jan 21, 2021, 4:17:09 AM1/21/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have the same Feedback Sports stand that someone else has mentioned, and I use it sometimes and it works well, but my preferred method of working on bikes is to hang them from a pair of widely spaced ropes fastened to eyebolts in the wall each side of my garage:

IMG_20190403_073415.jpg

Nick

Fullylugged

Jan 21, 2021, 6:04:43 AM1/21/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Leah:

I have used the Minoura RS-5000 for years.  Similar to the Park, but includes a tray that is handy to put tolls and especially small bits you remove and need to re install.  The head rotates to clamp a top tube or seat post.  When working on a bike like a Clem L, a TT carry bar is very handy. That way, you don't have to un do saddle bags or pull out the seat post. I also have a little bar that goes in the clamp and lets me hang the bike by the saddle, which is very quick and easy for simple things.  There is a less expensive saddle only stand too.

Ben Mihovk

Jan 21, 2021, 7:35:29 AM1/21/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm inspired to take a stand as well, Leah. I've always worked on my bikes "Pasadena style" and I hate it because everything's flipped backwards, I have a tendency to drop tools (and one of them took a healthy chip out of the paint on the underside of my top tube/head tube lug), and it's hard to test shifting with inboard thumbies when the bike is upside down, and sitting on the ground to work on my bike KILLS my back. I haven't done a deep clean/lube on my drivetrain yet...and I"m just dreading doing it with the bike upside down. I've been tempted to take the Atlantis to a bike shop to have them do a full tune up when winter is over here. I'm thinking you have inspired me to take that money and put it towards a stand instead.

Ben

Leah Peterson

Jan 21, 2021, 12:10:18 PM1/21/21
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Joe - thanks. I figure why put off the inevitable. I needed sealant, time to stop dreading and start doing.

Ben - for heaven’s sake go get a stand! I can’t imagine you doing all that maintenance upside down and backwards! Your back!!! And then report back here. You will be in heaven, and you deserve this more than I do with my limited capabilities. Think of the gas money, time and labor fees you will save since you won’t be tempted to haul your bike to the shop. Yes, this one’s easy.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 21, 2021, at 4:35 AM, Ben Mihovk <bjmi...@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm inspired to take a stand as well, Leah. I've always worked on my bikes "Pasadena style" and I hate it because everything's flipped backwards, I have a tendency to drop tools (and one of them took a healthy chip out of the paint on the underside of my top tube/head tube lug), and it's hard to test shifting with inboard thumbies when the bike is upside down, and sitting on the ground to work on my bike KILLS my back. I haven't done a deep clean/lube on my drivetrain yet...and I"m just dreading doing it with the bike upside down. I've been tempted to take the Atlantis to a bike shop to have them do a full tune up when winter is over here. I'm thinking you have inspired me to take that money and put it towards a stand instead.

dougP

Jan 21, 2021, 7:54:11 PM1/21/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I also used to do the eye bolt & strap set-up.  Simple & no storage issues.  My wife called it "bicycles in bondage".

The downside to this is the bicycle swinging side to side as you work on it.  I'm now a firm believer in work stands.

dougP

Linda G

Jan 25, 2021, 11:49:16 AM1/25/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Ana,
    I'm sure you are not the only one who has difficulty manipulating a 25 (or more) pound bike with one hand while working a seatpost clamp with the other. I can do it but my back does not like it. I have an older Ultimate Support  stand with a clamp that is at a fixed height but it does rotate. I turn over a tall plastic bucket and place it under where the front wheel will be when it is in the stand. Then I place the front wheel of the bike on the bucket and lift the rear of the bike up to the clamp and tighten it. Then I take out the bucket and rotate the clamp to level the bike. When I'm done working I rotate it again so that the front wheel is at bucket height. It's not a perfect system but it does make the lifting easier and stabilize the bike while I work the clamp .
Linda

masmojo

Jan 25, 2021, 12:38:40 PM1/25/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Leah, I know I'm a day late, et al. . . . .
But, in case someone else has this same issue, I also have an older version of the Minoura Stand (mine is steel & not nearly as easily collapsible, but it works very well
The new fancy one below is aluminum and folds down more completely.

In all actuality I am pretty sure I chose the less portable Steel one on purpose for 3 reasons: it was cheaper, I didn't plan on moving it around too much, and because it was heavier, I envisaged it to be more stable.

True a park shop stand would be my ideal, but sort of a road block, speed bump, hurdle when not being used

George Schick

Jan 25, 2021, 12:44:08 PM1/25/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yes, that's true - I have a problem lifting bikes like that, too.  If I'm working on one of my road bikes it's not as much of an issue because I clamp around the top tube and all I have to do is lift the bike up onto the clamp.  But if I'm doing maintenance on the dual-boinger Trek MTB literally the only place it can be clamped is around the seat post.  I have a Park PCS-4 work stand so I can easily lift the upper part of it out of the lower support, which enables me to place the clamp around the seat post and adjust it to the right amount of tension.  Then, I put it back, swivel the clamp around so it's pointed down at an angle where I'm lifting the bike up with the front wheel still on the ground in order to clamp the post.  Having done that, I can lift the front of the bike with one hand and swivel it back toward level and tighten the swivel clamp with the other.  It's still a PITA, though, compared to clamping around the top tube.

Bruce Herbitter

Jan 25, 2021, 3:29:00 PM1/25/21
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
George:

 I got a rack bar to carry my wife’s step through bike on our car trunk rack.  It also works great. To put her bike in my stand, acting like a top tube.  Under $20 iirc.

Bruce

Sent from my iPad

On Jan 25, 2021, at 11:44 AM, George Schick <bhi...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

George Schick

Jan 25, 2021, 5:13:16 PM1/25/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Bruce - a "rack bar"?  Not sure what you mean.  Got a pic?  This might help solve the problem that a number of posters on this thread are having.
TX, George

Roberta

Jan 25, 2021, 6:07:41 PM1/25/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Linda, That is a GREAT idea!

Bruce, Currently I put my bike on my car's bike carrier, which is a "hang it from the tube" type vs "tires in the tray type."  Is this what you mean (George's question)?

Aeroperf, I'll probably be getting the one you recommend because I'm tired of fixing my car in the parking lot.   I won't be a heavy duty user.

Roberta

Bruce Herbitter

Jan 25, 2021, 6:23:26 PM1/25/21
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Roberta:

Yes, I think we mean the same thing. Here is Sharon’s step through TREK Pure (crank forward design) using the travel bar in my work. Stand.

Sent from my iPad

Doug H.

Jan 26, 2021, 1:54:26 PM1/26/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I like my Bike Hand stand but it's my first so no point of reference with other stands. I agree it is a pain to work on a bike on the ground. The Bike Hand isn't great at rotating the position of the bike but it holds a heavy bike well.
Doug

Bicycle Belle Ding Ding!

Feb 9, 2021, 11:00:09 PM2/9/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Tomorrow I am doing a new thing because Leah Peterson Took A Stand and now has no excuses.

The crappy electrical tape the LBS used to tape my dyno wire under my fender is (predictably) falling off...again. I need to remove the rear wheel, which I have never ever done - and clean the fender (I’m thinking with alcohol) and then try to secure the wire until the good tape arrives from Analog. I’m afraid that this will all go south on me and I will have a unicycle.

I’m going to watch like 15 YouTubes tonight. Wish me luck.

Darn this new stand,
Leah

Tom Wyland

Feb 10, 2021, 9:50:21 AM2/10/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Good for you, Leah!  I serviced my first headset and bottom bracket last fall.  It felt good.
I have a fender-mounted taillight but always wound the wire under the bottom bracket, out the non-driveside chainstay and out the fender support.  Aesthetics aside, I never understood the under-fender approach.  It seems like it it would leave the wire open to damage by rocks or ice chunks getting kicked up under the fender.  I guess that's not too different from under-bottom bracket damage potential.

Joe Bernard

Feb 10, 2021, 7:55:58 PM2/10/21
to RBW Owners Bunch

I saw the video Leah posted of her wheel removal and reinstall - which she nailed first try - and man oh man this reminds me how much of a bugger that job is no matter how many times I've done it. I didn't nail it first try all those years ago!

Joe Bernard

Doug H.

Feb 10, 2021, 8:28:04 PM2/10/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I never enjoy removing the rear wheel on a geared bike, the derailleur just doesn't play well for me. On my single speed it's easy peazy!
Doug

dougP

Feb 10, 2021, 8:29:56 PM2/10/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Watched that also; well done.  Reminds me that I rarely get the wheel in perfectly straight & the brake nearly always drags.  I drop it out of the work stand & re-set the quick release when the rear wheel has weight on it.  The wheel only has to be a tiny bit off at the drop out & that makes the rim way out of position.

dougP
Message has been deleted