One Rivendell to rule them all

Alexander Chalmers

Aug 11, 2022, 8:29:44 PM8/11/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi all,

I'm a new group member but long time Riv fan. I recently came the closest I've come to actually buying Rivendell, having only recently reached a point where it has not felt out of reach financially. Anyway, it got me wondering - what is the one model you would choose, current or discontinued, if you could only have one?

Alternately, what is your favorite Rivendell you have owned?

Asking in part because I am wondering where to start myself - I've wanted a Hunqapillar for a long time, and recently have become a bit obsessed with the Quickbeam as well - but every model seems great in its own way. Mostly just curious what you all find yourself riding the most though!

Richard Rose

Aug 11, 2022, 8:44:50 PM8/11/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
If memory serves, I think Rivendell themselves asked this same question on their Instagram page. There were quite a few responses.
As for me, got to be my Clem L.
The long wheelbase with room for big tires are available on several models, but only one is a step through. Game changer. Well actually the Platy is a step through also but I’ve not had the pleasure.

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 11, 2022, at 8:29 PM, Alexander Chalmers <alexander...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi all,

I'm a new group member but long time Riv fan. I recently came the closest I've come to actually buying Rivendell, having only recently reached a point where it has not felt out of reach financially. Anyway, it got me wondering - what is the one model you would choose, current or discontinued, if you could only have one?

Alternately, what is your favorite Rivendell you have owned?

Asking in part because I am wondering where to start myself - I've wanted a Hunqapillar for a long time, and recently have become a bit obsessed with the Quickbeam as well - but every model seems great in its own way. Mostly just curious what you all find yourself riding the most though!

Joe Bernard

Aug 12, 2022, 1:20:32 AM8/12/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Welcome Alexander!

My answer is a cheat because I'd pick my custom but it kinda translates to a production model which would also be my pick, Platypus. Lugged frame, low stepover, beautiful paint (I love the Mermaid ones, and Leah Bicycle Belle Ding Ding's Raspberry), semi-light tubing for a lively road ride, maybe not the first choice for heavy loads or hardcore trails.

But that's my 'light for pavement' bias; models like Atlantis, Appaloosa, Hunqapillar, Bombadil and Clem H/L are better choices for heavier duty stuff.

Joe Bernard

Screenshot_20220811-221945_Gallery.jpg

Emily Guise

Aug 12, 2022, 2:05:13 AM8/12/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
My Platypus for sure. For the mostly in-town riding I've been doing for the last year, it's been a dream. Such a smooth ride! So gorgeous! She garners fans wherever she goes.

I actually felt very guilty about spending so much money on a bike (even though some of it was Uncle Sam's stimulus $$), but the Platy really is a functional work of art, so I got over the guilt eventually. If you ever have a chance to get a Riv, Alexander, I don't think you'd regret it. I hope it happens for you!

-Emily
cherry blossom platypus.JPG

Joe Bernard

Aug 12, 2022, 2:26:26 AM8/12/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
So pretty, Emily! I haven't seen a LimeOlive Platy in a while and kinda forgot how striking they are. Love the grips, too!

larson....@gmail.com

Aug 12, 2022, 6:25:35 AM8/12/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
88F89E5D-1121-4AD1-AC00-C5A58B086C8B.jpegI’m in my first year of Rivendell ownership and love my Appaloosa!

Ryan M.

Aug 12, 2022, 6:39:47 AM8/12/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have owned the following Rivs:

Canti Sam Hillborne
Toyo built Atlantis
Roadeo
Appaloosa
Frank Jones Sr.

I always wanted a Hunqapillar but never got around to getting one. lol

Right now I own the Appaloosa and Frank Jones Sr. but only really ride the Frank, but that is because my current recreational life is very limited and when I do go for a bike ride I just ride the greenway, which is better suited to a single speed.  The Appaloosa is the most versatile Riv I have owned probably, with the Atlantis coming in second. It's probably the bike that makes the most logical sense to keep if I could only choose one...but honestly, I would probably keep the Frank over the Appaloosa with my life today.

ascpgh

Aug 12, 2022, 6:57:18 AM8/12/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Welcome Alexander, Rivendell is like a garage party with a band that's a more humbling experience with talent, better than a huge show at a big forum.

Back in my shop days Bridgestone was our bread and butter. Grant earned the ability to design the US market product and they were so much better riding bikes that even an average rider would return smiling after a fifteen minute test ride. Not the highest volume bikes, Grant even told us they would be the hardest to sell since folks want to believe what they already do, even if presented with examples otherwise.

I called Grant several years into Rivendell after Bridgestone when I needed a bike more specific for longer rides, farther from home than my RB-1 (which didn't really fit me-my legs are too long for my height). From the Rivendell Reader and catalog I was thinking I needed a custom but he told me about the Rambouillet. It was the next "stock" model, stablemate of the already in production Atlantis and checked the boxes of my list, adding some I hadn't considered.

I rode my Rambouillet across the country and on every ride I took since including some things less than fire trails, having long been an underbiker and gone miles on forest service "roads" on bikes not apparent to that use. We were riding gravel before its current adherents were born and I used my XO-2 and RB-1. Rivendell marketed the model name as the useful, dependable sheep that provided much utility to those keeping flocks of them.

My Rambouillet shines in it's smoothness of ride and predictable handling. Much of that is because of how well it fits me, something random other riders have noted to me on rides. A the Five Boros ride in NYC my wife tired of how frequently folks approached and remarked on my Rambouillet and was who pointed out how sour those around us on what she called modern bikes looked. The bike continues to be a bike people comment on regardless of how expensive proximate modern bikes are.

It's a bike that can be used in many ways that rewards my uses. Sort of where the brand and Grant position themselves.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgg

Richard Rose

Aug 12, 2022, 9:27:44 AM8/12/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Beautiful! What are those water bottle cages?
Sent from my iPhone

Joel S

Aug 12, 2022, 10:10:31 AM8/12/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I still prefer the shorter chains models, a Hillborne would fit the bill nicely.

amill...@gmail.com

Aug 12, 2022, 10:35:55 AM8/12/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Rivendell has changed so much over the years. When I started admiring their bikes they were strong advocates for lugs, brooks, comfort and practicality.

Any Rivendell I owned would need lugs. I don’t think their tig frames are competitively priced compared to their competitors, and they lose the Rivendell character. I’ve had long and short chain stayed Rivs and have come to the conclusion that I don’t notice any difference. Of course, lugs don’t change the ride either, but I sure do admire them every time I see my bike. It’s very cool that Riv has been around long enough to have “classic” models.

I would have to go with a Quickbeam. I miss my Coleman green first gen with albatross bars. It just had piles of character and quirk.

Best,

Aaron in El Paso

Philip Barrett

Aug 12, 2022, 11:06:29 AM8/12/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've ridden the Clem and have a Platypus so can only comment on those 2. To my mind the Clem felt heavy & reluctant, the Platypus is a much more lively ride & surprisingly quick once you get her up to speed.

PXL_20220118_000558974.jpg

Matt Beecher

Aug 12, 2022, 11:12:01 AM8/12/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've ridden several, but the Saluki is my favorite.

Models that I have tried: Toyo Atlantis, Waterford Atlantis, Taiwan Atlantis, Waterford Road Standard, Taiwan AHH, Quickbeam, & custom singlespeed.

Olivier Chételat

Aug 12, 2022, 11:26:47 AM8/12/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
59 Atlantis for life!
It's truly magical. I'm lucky to own a Cheviot, Betty Foy, 64 Toyo Atlantis. I sold my Hunqapillar last year and test rode every model produced from 2010.
But that 59 Atlantis....

Oli in SF

Image 7-1-20 at 6.47 PM.jpg49551373227_ab22993674_k.jpg

Paul Choi

Aug 12, 2022, 11:39:10 AM8/12/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Bravo! Great shot of your bike with the city in the background :)

Alexander Chalmers

Aug 12, 2022, 11:41:51 AM8/12/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I'm envious of all your bikes!

Lots of love for the platypus it seems. I do love the look of the curved tubes on it. I've also never had a step through and the utility seems great for a daily rider.

I'm surprised the Atlantis took as long as it did to get a mention, I expected that to be a clear frontrunner. I do love the rainbow tube on the 59, I'd definitely size a little big just for that!

My daily rider for the past few years has been a Miyata Valley Runner built up with more modern components and drop bars (though i did just swap them to Crust Juan Martin bars). Definitely a Crust/Riv inspired build. Part of my thinking was to eventually replace it with something similar from rivendell like and Atlantis, Hunq, or maybe an Appaloosa or Gus. But maybe I should just keep it instead and get something a bit more road-ish like the platypus!

Coal Bee Rye Anne

Aug 12, 2022, 11:47:17 AM8/12/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Welcome Alexander!

Favorite?  Easy!  65cm Clem Smith, Jr. H-Style - but this is more by default as my one and only Rivendell!

But I was once in similar shoes and guess I had gone about 5+ years after first discovering Rivendell until finally buying my first and only Rivendell in 2016 when they eventually released the XXL Clem in the 65cm size.  The first model of theirs that really piqued my interest, however, was the SimpleOne but I held off on buying for various reasons at the time.  First, I could not yet fathom ever owning or needing more than one bike nor ever spending as much on a new bike as I'd eventually spend on the Clem.  I was also still trying to make an old and too small frame fit while updating worn out parts here and there while increasing ride frequency/duration/mileage on weekends.  There's a ton of irony around the fact that I likely spent much more on parts swaps and fit experiments on various bikes over the years than I'd have spent on a new 62cm SimpleOne had I just taken the plunge back in 2010 or 11 or 12 or whenever it was when I was most tempted but all those experiences and personal lessons on parts swapping and DIY mechanics and articles I'd end up reading would far exceed in value the $$$ I spent here or there and made me even more informed when I did eventually make the somewhat unexpected and opportunistic pre-order once I discovered they were adding a 65cm size to the incoming Clem batch.

I now own 4 complete, ready-to-ride bikes but just the one Rivendell.  The remaining 3 are each built as different single speeds and all mostly obtained opportunistically based on their size and built somewhat with inspiration from various SimpleOne/Quickbeam/Countrybike builds.  They were not all initially intended to be single speeds but this is how they evolved based on a combination of circumstance and my more recent riding trends/local terrain.  I now have 3 different build concepts I could easily transfer over to a Roaduno (the forthcoming single speed) if I could manage to position myself to obtain one whenever they become available.

There are many details I've admired on several other Riv models and I've leaned this way and that regarding their leaner road or country vs. burlier and more rugged models compared to my actual vs. theoretical usage but one thing I've absolutely come to appreciate with my Clem is the rare opportunity at my height to be on the small or low side of the fit or PBH range for a given size (my 97-ish PBH on the 65cm H which had something like a 95-100+ pbh range, iirc.)  The Clem development also hit the nail on the head for me with it's more affordable nature (vs. fully lugged models) and it's basis/inspiration/early description of sorts as something like an answer for those looking to otherwise spruce up or Riv-ify their old, vintage MTB's... which is exactly what I was essentially doing at the time I first discovered Riv, albeit with a too small 26" wheeled MTB (which I've happily just begun to rebuild for the umpteenth time but this time as a hand me down dad bike for an in-law and nephew and with the help of my 5 year old!)

Best of luck and happy riding, wherever this path leads!

Brian Cole
Lawrence NJ

greenteadrinkers

Aug 12, 2022, 11:58:03 AM8/12/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have a Sam Hillborne and a SimpleOne, if I did it all over again, I'd go for a Hunqapillar, but, I'd totally be happy with a Appaloosa. I also own a Trek 620, Tanglefoot Moonshiner, and a Kogswell PR II.

Hillborne.png

J J

Aug 12, 2022, 12:42:29 PM8/12/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm with Joel in that I prefer shorter-wheelbase, shorter-chain stay Rivendell models, though shorter is relative. I favor fully lugged models, though it makes sense for Rivendell to have more accessible offerings (accessible is also relative).

For me it's the Hunqapillar all the way. It excels at everything I do with it, whether unloaded and tossing it around on skinny (haha) 42s or hauling 75 pounds of stuff rolling on 55s. It doesn't break a sweat and always feels incredibly stable and ready for more.

For my partner it's the Wilbury/Glorius, from the era preceding super long wheelbase step-through models. (Her previous bike had a much longer wheelbase, which she found cumbersome and clunky after she road the Wilbury.) She loved the Wilbury ride and lovely construction so much that she got a companion Glorius in raw metal.

Leah is not the only one to double down on a step-through she loves!! :)

Hunqapillar 1.jpeg
Wilbury 1.jpeg
Glorius 1.jpeg

Alexander Chalmers

Aug 12, 2022, 12:49:15 PM8/12/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Love that Hunqapillar! I've never heard of the Wilburt/Glorius but looks nice - the raw metal is awesome. Looks like the Platypus may be similar, albeit with a longer wheelbase?

Joe Bernard

Aug 12, 2022, 2:04:55 PM8/12/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yes, Wilbury/Glorius-Betty Foy/Yves Gomez-Cheviot-Platypus. We got here from there.

Bicycle Belle Ding Ding!

Aug 12, 2022, 3:27:08 PM8/12/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Oh, how I am loving this thread. JJ’s wife takes the cake with her Wilbury/Glorius pair. Love it, love it. See? It’s a perfectly good idea to have two of the same bike, and she knows it too! I am so enjoying everyone’s photos and descriptions of what they like about their Rivendells, keep them coming.

My vote - big surprise - goes to the elegant Rivendell Platypus as well. There is no downside to a Platypus. I could not get enough of my raspberry Platy so I searched until I found another Platy frame and then built that one up to haul. Never be without your Platypus, that’s my motto! I find it a great comfort to have a 2nd Platypus; I used to have one bike, a Betty Foy, and had a recurring nightmare that it got stolen. My subconscious was so distressed over the loss of the bike that by the end of the dream I would always miraculously find a spare Betty Foy frame in a box in my garage, this making it all ok.

I love the Rivendell mixtes; Rivendell puts the best of what they are into their mixte line, I have always thought. And like the product page says, all Rivendells are beautiful, but the Platypus is the *most* beautiful Rivendell. Not that it suffers practicality on account of its looks - it is dead useful and supremely comfortable. I use mine for club rides, errand-running, shopping, and pleasure rides. Smart AND beautiful. That’s why it’s my favorite.
EE18ED41-0DDB-4CDD-BFAA-D549DE450256.jpeg
21B144D9-3F7A-4D4F-B8DF-CE440072C345.jpeg

Alexander Chalmers

Aug 12, 2022, 3:40:45 PM8/12/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Nice pair of platypuses (platypi?)!

Are you running ultradynamico tires? How do you like them? I've been considering some Cavas for my CX bike

Leah Peterson

Aug 12, 2022, 3:51:49 PM8/12/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hey, thanks! Yes, I am running Ultradynamico on the raspberry bike. I do like them, a lot, actually. Though I hear they wear out quick (maybe 1k miles) when you run them tubeless, which I do.

Edwin W

Aug 12, 2022, 4:45:16 PM8/12/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
#1 model to choose: the one you have/could easily get. For me that is the Appaloosa which I have now.
If I were starting all over...
#1 dream, but I cannot get it right now is the original Atlantis 64cm with one top tube.
**Let me know if you are getting rid of one**
#2 Appaloosa
#3 Original Hunq
But they are all so good I do not want to rank them and would be happy with any model from any year.

Edwin

J J

Aug 12, 2022, 5:01:36 PM8/12/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hahaha. Leah, I think you already took the cake! You having a pair of Platypuses has always seemed perfectly reasonable, natural, and sensible.
Now if I can only find another 58 Hunqapillar I'll be all set. (I suppose I'd settle for a Bombadil...)
This thread is great.

Toshi Takeuchi

Aug 12, 2022, 7:05:28 PM8/12/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
The one bike probably depends upon which uses you are straddling.  I tend to be on the road/touring and road/light off-trail use mix, so my one bike would probably be my A Homer Hilson (AHH)/Sam HIllborne bike.  (I have the AHH, but am lucky enough not to need to choose one bike.)  (If I were strictly road/club riding, then I would go with the Roadeo/Roadini).

My other do-almost everything bike is my Cheviot, which I use for commuting/light touring/light off trail (only no fast road rides)--Platypus would be the current production equivalent.

So, 1 bike: AHH, 2 bikes: Roadeo/Cheviot (It's always fun to think about bike N and N+1 :-)

Welcome to the group.

Toshi in Oakland

EricP

Aug 12, 2022, 8:35:35 PM8/12/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Depends on your planned use. So far have owned -
Toyo Atlantis (too small, but nice ride anyway)
Green Sam Hillborne (sidepulls)
SimpleOne
Blue Sam Hillborne double top tube (sidepulls)
59 Clem Smith Jr. L

Still own the last two. But since getting the Clem it gets most of the riding time. Mainly use the SH when riding where I need to put the bike on a vehicle rack. Also the Hillborne needs new tires and I haven't taken the time to go to a store to buy a set of Marathon Racers. Or even regular Marathons.

The Clem is just fun to ride. Now, it could be because I am very overweight the heavier bike doesn't seem slower. Or maybe it's the wider tires that make it more fun on our local paths.

However, when I was commuting to work a couple times a month, the Hillborne was the ticket. And I used to do some longer rides on it. So there is nothing wrong with the bike. It's quite nice. Just that the Clem is even nicer. At least for me and where I am as a cyclist.

Also think that the Clem is probably triggering memories of my first "good" bike, a 1984 Specalized Stumpjumper with the long chainstays. Raced, commuted and just rode that one quite a lot until it was stolen.

Eric Platt
St. Paul, MN

Steven Sweedler

Aug 12, 2022, 9:10:54 PM8/12/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I had 4 Rivs, a Riv Road custom, a 700c All Rounder, a Hunquapillar, and a Atlantis, and still I would love to find a 26” All Rounder. Grant convinced me that 26” whees were lighter and stronger, and have never been able to shake it. Steve

Steven Sweedler
Plymouth, New Hampshire

Nick Payne

Aug 12, 2022, 9:57:16 PM8/12/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
So far as Rivendell models go, I have:

A Riv custom frame from late last century
A Romulus
A Bleriot
An Appaloosa

If I could only keep one, it would probably be the Bleriot, as the closest thing to an all-round bike.

Nick

Corwin Zechar

Aug 13, 2022, 2:15:36 AM8/13/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
My answer is much like Joe Bernard's. I would choose my custom. Either the first one (stolen April 2021) or the second one - currently at Joe Bell's awaiting paint. My frame (especially the first one) is/was much like a Roadeo. So much so, that Mark suggested a Roadeo instead of a custom. I decided against it based on a preference for custom paint from Joe Bell and the decals associated with the custom.

This time around, the replacement custom is a carbon copy except for cantilever posts for Tektro short-pull V-brakes. Same color even. And now I also have a Roadeo at Joe Bell's waiting for paint.

Regards,

Corwin

Ryan

Aug 13, 2022, 7:58:32 AM8/13/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Well, Corwin,I hope you'll post pictures of this lovely bike once you get it...long wait for customs but they're worth the wait. It's a bummer that your first one was stolen and I hope you had good insurance to ease some of the pain.

3 Rivendells and 1 93 X0-1 which was my gateway drug

1998 26" all-rounder - Sherwood Forest green
2001 Curt Goodrich custom road - Harvest Gold (like some of the earlier Clems)
2016 Mark Nobilette custom mixte

Probably either the all-rounder or road if I was forced to pick. Since I like riding my old 70's PX10 as a singlespeed so much I probably would have liked to own a Quickbeam or SimpleOne...but not really into acquiring more bikes at this stage of the game

Conway Bennett

Aug 13, 2022, 9:47:18 AM8/13/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Last run of Hunqapillars designed for 650b is the bike I will never sellIMG_20220511_084953_1.jpg.  My wife's Roscoe Bubbaloosa mountain mixte is great too.

Bob

Aug 13, 2022, 10:16:45 AM8/13/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Owned one Riv, a 2014 Homer. I sold it to fund a custom Bantam. Love the Bantam, and wouldn't want to be without it, but I sure miss the Homer. It appears I'm not alone in my regret at missing out on a Hunq. Someday, one of you lovely people will decide to sell their 650B 53cm or 56cm Hunq, and I will simultaneously have the money to buy it.

--
Bob

Karl

Aug 13, 2022, 11:22:43 AM8/13/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Alexander,

I have always found myself coming back to a Quickbeam even though I don’t own one now. My Saluki will be with me for a while. It rides much like the Quickbeam. Where are you located and what is your PBH? I bet there are some kind people on the list that will let you try out some fun bicycles!

Karl
Nashville, TN

RichS

Aug 13, 2022, 1:02:51 PM8/13/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Olivier,

Magic indeed if you can make your Atlantis levitate! Never could accomplish it with mine LOL!

Best,
Rich in ATL

RichS

Aug 13, 2022, 1:24:19 PM8/13/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Alexander,

Welcome to the group! Terrific collection of Rivendells on this thread.

Not an easy decision to select your first Rivendell. I went through this exercise years ago and landed on a Waterford built Atlantis. There is a common feeling running through Riv owners that says you can't have just one Rivendell. True enough I discovered. A Sam Hillborne followed shortly after acquiring the Atlantis. Others followed: Clem H, Roadeo, and a Taiwan built Homer. All except the Sam have moved on. Pic shows it in commuter mode; it's done everything well for me including brevets.

My advice is to take your best shot at what you think works for your needs now and dive in. It's likely you won't be disappointed. As a bonus, the customer service rendered by Grant and the crew is outstanding!

Best,
Rich in ATL

SamH.jpg

Alexander Chalmers

Aug 13, 2022, 1:39:19 PM8/13/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Karl, I am in Chicago and PBH is 88. If anyone is local and would be willing to let me try something out I'd be grateful! I also think there is a shop not to far from me that carries them, I've been meaning to go see what they have for a while.

Rich, I suspect once I get one more will follow! I think the first will likely be something used, so it may just come down to what pops up in my size/budget. But who knows, the orange color of the Appaloosa is calling to me as well, so if they make more that could end up being it as well. That Hillborne looks super fun, love that color and bag setup. Looks very capable for Atlanta's hills and potholes - I grew up there and my family is all still in the city

Roberta

Aug 13, 2022, 2:38:49 PM8/13/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
How do you ride— touring, long distance club rides, commuting, errands, mountain rides?  These bikes can do multiple duty.

I ride almost exclusively on roads and MUPs for  just for fun and health, and commuting . Yet my first Riv was an Appaloosa and I loved that bike for three years. I got an a Homer hilsen for a second location. Sold the Appaloosa  to get platypus . I could be giddiously happy with any of those.  My favorite is the AHoner Hilsen but if I had to pick one for the rest of my life it would be Platy. I love the step thru.

Corwin Zechar

Aug 13, 2022, 2:56:40 PM8/13/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Ryan -

Pictures you say? I have no pictures of the new custom yet. But I do have a few pictures of the original. If you don't look too closely, you can see my new custom in these pictures. Coincidentally, the new custom will be the same color as the original. Mark Nobilette originally sent a threaded fork (a fork for threadless headset was spec'ed), and the fork got painted before anyone realized the error. Instead of getting cranky about the faux-pas, I seized an opportunity for a back-up fork. Mark and I agreed to split the cost of a new fork. So, when the time came to specify the color for Joe Bell, I pulled out the threaded fork (still it's box after 13 years) and shot a photo.

The new custom will differ from the old in the following ways:

1) Albastache bars instead of drops.
2) Onyx hubs instead of the Chris King and Schmidt dynohub.
3) A custom covered Fizik Aliante saddle by Mick Peele embossed with the Rivendell logo instead of the Berthoud and red Fizik.
4) 1x SRAM drivetrain with R2C bar end shifters instead of the 2x Shimano utilizing downtube shifters
5) Tektro CX 8.4 V-brakes instead of the R539s.

Check out photos of my original custom here.

Regards,

Corwin

R Shannon

Aug 13, 2022, 3:03:53 PM8/13/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Alexander,

Thanks for the compliment. The Sam is a really good bike. When the black and cream color scheme was introduced on the Sams I gave serious thought to getting one and having a two Sam family. Didn’t happen but after seeing one in the wild it was tempting!

The orange paint on the Appaloosa is a very nice color. Super comfortable bike. One of my riding friends has one and did a month long solo tour from Atlanta to the Florida Keys and back. No flats or other issues.
Navigates potholes and hills with aplomb:-)

Best,
Rich in ATL

Corwin Zechar

Aug 13, 2022, 3:33:12 PM8/13/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
...forgot a subtle difference - the new custom has hand carved lugs. Mark gave me a set of Roadeo lugs and I marked them up for Nobilette to work some magic on.

Corwin

Conway Bennett

Aug 13, 2022, 4:42:17 PM8/13/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Alex,

 I'm in Chicagoland, I have an 88 PBH, and I have a 58 cm first generation Quickbeam I am passively selling.

Alexander Chalmers

Aug 13, 2022, 5:04:28 PM8/13/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Conway, I am potentially interested! Would you send me some pictures/details?

Chris Halasz

Aug 13, 2022, 7:31:32 PM8/13/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I can't say it rules them all, but I consider my Sam the great in-between bike: Not so off-road as an Appaloosa, not so road-oriented as a Roadeo or Roadini, not so load-bearing as a Bombadil or Atlantis, not so around town as the Cheviot or Platypus - you get it. I don't see it as a compromise so much as it being situated somewhere near the center of the Rivendell evolutionary tree.

It's my one bike now, after having a Road Standard, Long Low, Bleriot, Bombadil, and Platypus. I don't go to its tire width extreme, staying more in the 35-40mm width range, and only use a rear rack. I'd consider migrating to a Roadini or Roadeo, but someone recently posted those feel a little stiffer in the ride. I like the double top tube as well!

Cheers,

Chris

Jason

Aug 13, 2022, 7:46:33 PM8/13/22
to RBW Owners Bunch

Hi Alexander,

I’m also new-ish to Riv, having joined this list about a year back and having gotten my first Riv, a 2015 Sam Hillborne, last November. The bike has been everything I hoped it would be - comfortable, beautiful, dependable, and capable. My riding is 90% as a commuter (around 10 miles each way). Other rides are with my little ones in tow, or on mixed terrain local trails (Salt Creek Trail and DPRT). Sam’s been great for all this stuff. I’ll probably end up exploring a Roadeo and Atlantis at some point, but it’s hard to imagine a better bike for my main uses. I guess that puts me in the Sam camp with Chris and Rich.

My PBH is similar to yours (87.5) and I’m local to Chicago (live in Oak Park, work in River North). I’d be happy to let you ride my Sam sometime if you’re interested. Just shoot me a PM.

Best,

Jason

Oak Park, IL

E8B94AFF-7480-446A-BEAF-A2C0DDCF2FC4.jpeg

Karl Worley

Aug 13, 2022, 7:57:35 PM8/13/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
This is one of the many reasons I love this list! Alexander, I hope you find your Rivendell! Let me know if you end up with the Quickbeam. I believe I still have a brand new set of wheels for one.

Karl
Nash, TN

Sent from my iPhone

Alexander Chalmers

Aug 13, 2022, 8:13:30 PM8/13/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Jason - thank you so much for the offer! I'd love to try it some time - that's a beautiful bike. My riding sounds similar to yours (though no kids yet!). I do have a cross bike that I use for most road riding i do as well though, which is why I'm leaning towards something less road-ish like an Appaloosa or Hunq. Feels like there might be too much overlap otherwise, though when the CX bike is aluminum and carbon there's probably not too much danger of that.

Karl - thank you, I'm sure I'll find the right one! Really blown away by the group so far. Good to know about the wheels, I will keep it in mind if I do end up with the Quickbeam!

E8B94AFF-7480-446A-BEAF-A2C0DDCF2FC4.jpeg
E8B94AFF-7480-446A-BEAF-A2C0DDCF2FC4.jpeg

Leah Peterson

Aug 13, 2022, 8:29:43 PM8/13/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Toshi, I don’t think I knew you had a Cheviot! I think this is where I badger you for a photo. 😊

Like Rich says, many of us end up with more than one Rivendell. It likely seems unimaginable to you now, but chances are, you’ll want another. I remember the sticker shock of buying my Betty Foy; I swore it was all I’d ever need and I’d die with that bike. Just look at my now, yikes.

Alexander, if you want to try out allllllll the Rivs, come to the Grand Rapids Rivendell Ride we’re putting on this October. I expect a good turnout (we had 10 at our first ride here in Kalamazoo) and it’s only a 2 hr 45 min drive from Chicago. Could be worth it!

Ryan

Aug 13, 2022, 10:34:24 PM8/13/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Well  your stolen Riv is a beautiful blue; I bet you can hardly wait for its replacement. Hopefully a secure spot for it too. I don't even lock mine up in my garage; they're in my somewhat messy bedroom...if thieves want 'em , they'll have to kill me first...(a little dark humor)

Lots of other wonderful Rivendells on this thread; lots of fun. It's surprising and reassuring that the brand has remained so durable because I think the bike business for a niche company is a tough one...but the recent presales experience suggests that the bikes are flying out of Riv HQ. Which is awesome..and Leah Peterson is a killer salesperson, no?

brizbarn

Aug 13, 2022, 11:35:56 PM8/13/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
My 60cm 2021 Orange Appaloosa is my first Riv, but I'd rather have this than any other (although I love the old Appaloosa sparkly blue).  I'd say it's one Riv to rule them all.  Definitely couldn't throw it in the fire like Frodo did the ring tho.  I love the way it looks and rides, great to glance at while eating breakfast, then go for a fun ride and feel my money was well spent.  Mostly do local rides on road and gravel in the woods.  I have not done a long tour on it yet, but overnighter was great on all gravel roads.  I have 29x2.2 Terravail tires on it, they are pretty great.  I doubt I'll ever do a club ride, but can this bike can haul ass if your feeling up to it.  I launch curb cuts and roots on occasion (the BMXer in me) and its handles it well.  Definitely could make it lighter with less rubber and water, and no front bag/rack, but those things all make it more useful.  Riv has lighter bikes, but if you only have one, might as well be more useful.  I tried Billie Bars (pictured here), didn't really like them (too chill?).  Put my flat mtb style Sim Works Little Nicks back on, might try a taller stem (Nitto Dirt drop perhaps).  I often find myself riding with finger tips rather than full hand on the grips, not cause I can't reach the bars, just cause I like being a bit more upright.  Anyway, good luck on your search, I doubt you'll be disappointed with any Riv.
IMG_9084.JPG

brizbarn

Aug 14, 2022, 12:01:57 AM8/14/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
IMG_9084.JPG

Joe Bernard

Aug 14, 2022, 12:24:23 AM8/14/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I would quibble a bit with the Cheviot and Platypus being pegged as 'around town bikes', I think the droptube mixte style tags them (and my custom) that way unfairly and probably always will. I owned a Cheviot and rode a prototype Platy, they both felt like what my brain understands as a lugged steel road bike you could ride all day with not-too-crazy loads. My reference is Romulus, Rambouillet and Roadini with slightly longer chainstays and a dropped toptube.

Which of course also makes a great around town bike, all Rivs do!

Joe Bernard

Aug 14, 2022, 12:26:31 AM8/14/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Adding: My comments are intended as conversational about Riv models, not argumentative. Cuz I think I sound argumentative 😬

Fullylugged

Alexander Chalmers

Aug 14, 2022, 11:18:37 AM8/14/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Joe, I haven't ridden one, but the rivendell step throughs all seem extremely capable. Actually for a while i thought my first Riv would either be a Clem L or a Gus - still might be! I love the idea of a really robust step though for off road use

lconley

Aug 14, 2022, 2:23:12 PM8/14/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I currently own 12 Rivendells and have owned 3 others.
I am going to go with the 52cm Bombadil as the One Rivendell to Rule Them All:
1. It is the Rivendell that I have owned the longest.
2. It is the only Rivendell that I own that has a name from the Tolkien books.
3. It can do anything, my Custom is kind of specialized in nature. My goal in building the bike was "What bike would I build to ride around the world?" It has 40 spoke wheels, a 7 speed freewheel Phil Wood rear hub - almost zero offset - very strong. Front and rear Nitto racks, aged Brooks B-68, SON front dyno hub, matching tweed Nigel Smyth. Shimano Altus RD
4. Made in USA - Waterford built the frame, Nobilette added the rear tentacles.
3. It is the Rivendell that I have done the longest ride on - 2 day Cross Florida Ride - 170 miles.
It is in the middle of a parts swap, and installing fenders, - incomplete but here it is:

bomb2s.jpg

Laing
Delray Beach FL

Addison Wilhite

Aug 14, 2022, 2:58:52 PM8/14/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
The Bombadil has always seemed like a Grail bike to me.  Beautiful!

My one Riv is my Allrounder...which is just as wonderful some 24 years on since I got it.  It has drop bars and DT shifters on it now.

Regards,

Addison Wilhite, M.A.

Academy of Arts, Careers and Technology

“Blazing the Trail to College and Career Success”

Portfolio and Blog

img-4376_orig.jpg

Alexander Chalmers

Aug 14, 2022, 3:04:36 PM8/14/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Love that bombadill, and those reasons make a lot of sense to me. I will admit part of the draw of the Quickbeam (over the Simpleone and Roaduno) is the Tolkien name!

Joe Bernard

Aug 14, 2022, 3:17:58 PM8/14/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Quickbeam remains my favorite model name and I didn't even know at the time it was a Tolkien reference. I was at Riv looking at the original prototype and mentioned to Mark Abele that I loved the tree on the headbadge, he told me Quickbeam is an Ent. A talking tree! Love it.
Message has been deleted

Fred Marsh

Aug 15, 2022, 12:29:22 PM8/15/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thinking of getting canti-studs brazed on my Bleriot. Then the answer would be my Bleriot:

#1 model to choose: the one you have/could easily get. For me that is the Appaloosa which I have now.
If I were starting all over...
#1 dream, but I cannot get it right now is the original Atlantis 64cm with one top tube.
**Let me know if you are getting rid of one**
#2 Appaloosa
#3 Original Hunq
But they are all so good I do not want to rank them and would be happy with any model from any year.

Edwin

Patrick Moore

Aug 15, 2022, 12:29:29 PM8/15/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Me, I never get tired of replying to this question with this bike, my 1999 26" wheel custom road gofast. Others are sick to death of seeing it, but I'm not!

I've owned 5 Rivendells (3 26" wheel custom roads of which the '99 is the sole remnant, a first gen Sam, and a 2nd gen Ram; again, the '99 is the sole remnant. But my 2020 Matthews 26" wheel road bike is a near-geometrical clone of the '99, and the 2015 Matthews "road bike for dirt" used the Riv roads as a sort of general direction for the handling qualities.

But I'd keep the '99, Riv #2, if I could only keep 1 bike.

image.png

Benjamin Goldberg

Aug 15, 2022, 12:30:33 PM8/15/22
to RBW Owners Bunch

Bucking the current Rivendell trends, I still absolutely love my 1999 66cm Rivendell custom (Joe Starck) road bike, with relatively skinny tires (28mm), integrated brakes/shifters, and clipless pedals.  It was comfortable in my late 30s and is still comfortable in my early 60s.

Ben Goldberg
NYC

Rivendell right side small.jpeg

Jim Kofron

Aug 15, 2022, 12:30:39 PM8/15/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Alexander, I'm out in the western burbs (Downers Grove) with a big Platypus--if you're interested, give me a shout. I love mine, but my last bike was a Sanwa from the mid 80's--and that's the last time I rode it... so I'm not a good resource for comparisons.

As Emily said, I was a bit mortified that I spent this much on a bike, but it is a ridable piece of art... and it makes me very happy.

On Saturday, August 13, 2022 at 12:24:19 PM UTC-5 RichS wrote:
[...]

Matt Maceda

Aug 15, 2022, 6:12:22 PM8/15/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hands down it's gotta be my Clem L. After buying it in spring 2021 I bought Rambouillet and recently a Homer to chase the high but they don't excite me in the same way the Clem L does. It's a stand-out bike from the many I've owned; it looks different, feels different, and is highly versatile depending on how you set up the cockpit. Clem L really shines with a short stem and "flat" bars and it feels pretty fast considering it's a bike that looks like a beach cruiser.
51072446766_87e1535345_k.jpg
51109066685_02458f2cc6_k.jpg
51004500870_8c29b68c73_k.jpg
52283682710_05e6f39f22_k.jpg
51274416243_55e01c7d25_k.jpg

Bill Lindsay

Aug 15, 2022, 8:24:18 PM8/15/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
The OP asked the classic "which Riv if you could only have one?"  It's not clear to me whether the OP realizes how little that question has to do with bicycles or Rivendells and how much that question has to do with people.  There have been a good spectrum of replies, not directly because there's a broad spectrum of Rivendells, but because there is a broad spectrum of people who ride these bicycles.

One category of people is the "versatility" group, who would choose a particular Rivendell model because they can set it up with different cockpits, different tires, different rack and luggage configurations and make one bike into many bikes over its life.  Another subset of the versatility group are those with a single Riv build and it does everything they need to do on a bike.  It's a grab and go machine that is down for whatever.  Others have a much more surgical approach to their stable, having a particular bike optimized for a particular kind of use-case.  For those people, many would first choose "one type of cycling" and then choose the perfect bike for that one limited use-case.

I'm one of those many-bikes people, and I have several Rivendells.  As of now, I've got a Legolas, Quickbeam, Hillborne, and HubbaHubbaH.  I've also had a Bombadil, Hilsen, two Atlantis', two Rosco Bubbes and a Roadeo.  I have another Roadeo on the way.  If I had to limit down to one Rivendell, and got to fully stock the rest of my stable with other things, maybe I'd keep the Quickbeam.  If I had to limit my stable down to a single bicycle and it had to be a Rivendell, I'd likely stick with the Hillborne.  If I had to limit my cycling down to a single particular use case, and then pick an optimized bike for that use case, and it had to be a Rivendell, then I'd probably choose my forthcoming Roadeo.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

Roberta

Aug 15, 2022, 8:34:19 PM8/15/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Jim,

Like you and Emily (three happy Platy riders--mine is 55 Mermaid) at first I was taken aback by the prices, but I got to test ride the Chev, Appaloosa, Sam and Atlantis all in my size at the shop before I bought in 2017.  For me, it was that one run around the parking on the Appaloosa that that clinched it (I loved the Atlantis, too, but at that time, it was MUSA and way out of my budget).  So, how much is it worth to me to have NO NECK PAIN (vs wanting to cry after each ride with my previous bike)?

The joy of being comfortable on a bike and to bike more often and longer without any pain than I could ever do before is nearly priceless.  I bought the bike for exercise, but it's brought me so much joy than I ever thought an inanimate object could!   Worth every penny!

Roberta

Ben Mihovk

Aug 16, 2022, 11:45:52 AM8/16/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
In keeping with what Bill said, I'll answer but I'll say which type of person I am before doing so...

I'm a two-bike person...

I have my Atlantis that is set up for commuting and carrying a lot if necessary. Upright and swept back bars, front rack and rear rack, fenders, 700x44 all road tires. Slimsuker on the saddle, X-Small saddle sack on handlebars. Great for urban rides and getting to and from work on days I ride.

I have my Sam set up for fun mixed-surface rides. Noodle drops, 38mm Gravelking Slicks, no racks, x-small saddle sack on the saddle for tool kit and snacks. I need to get a shorter stem...I'd like the hoods to be a touch closer and I already have the bars as high as they'll go, but still a fun bike for long rides where there's not really an agenda.

If I had to keep one of the two, I'd keep the Atlantis just because most of my riding is to and from work. I've taken the Sam to work and it's fine, but I like the v-brakes on the Atlantis (no canti posts on my Sam to convert) for riding on streets, and though I love the drops for long stretches of cruising, I'm way more comfortable and nimble with the Choco bars...especially with using a helmet mirror, I need to stay in one position to get a sense of what's going on behind me. Finally, with the Sams being a less stout in tubing and fork, the Atlantis works better for me. I meet the recommended weight for a Sam, but I'd be in the 230-240 pound range of rider weight + cargo with all my work  stuff and stopping for a few things at the store on the way home. I love my Sam, but I only carry the necessities when I ride it.

Ben in Omaha

Toshi Takeuchi

Aug 16, 2022, 4:00:36 PM8/16/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I'm definitely part of the Riv mixte club!  I think my Cheviot is my most ridden Riv right now as it serves as my daily commuter.  Here's a pic with it loaded up with an early pandemic grocery run.

Toshi in Oakland

cheviot.jpg

Joe Bernard

Aug 16, 2022, 4:30:27 PM8/16/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Oooh, that's cool. Albastache Bars with orange gives it a mixte XO-1 vibe!

Dave Redmon

Joe Bernard

Aug 16, 2022, 10:30:12 PM8/16/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
"Hey Joe, what's that saddle?"

Brooks B17 aged or soft or whatever they're calling them these days, it's had a few different names. I like the look and it takes me forever to break in standard Brookses so I popped for this.  Super comfy right away, will probably wear our sooner but I may be too old to ride by then anyway 😂

Dave Redmon

Aug 16, 2022, 11:10:36 PM8/16/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Is the top carved on that B17?
My standard B17 is nearing 25 years of use now. Still going strong and well shaped to my derriere

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/6bdc3778-01bf-4575-98ef-881e95d6362en%40googlegroups.com.

--
Dave Redmon

"Either the United States will destroy ignorance or ignorance will destroy the United States"--noted scholar W. E. B. DuBois, 1905

Does democracy mean that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge?--from a quote attributed to Isaac Asimov

A person who knows that enough is enough will always have enough.
  --LAO TZU  (6th century B.C.E.)

To perceive the world and our life in it as gifts originating in sanctity is to see our human economy as a continuing moral crisis. --WENDELL BERRY “The Agrarian Standard”

Joe Bernard

Aug 16, 2022, 11:21:24 PM8/16/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
No but I think you can get these in a carved version. Not my thing, I tried carved once and I could feel the edges of the cutout. NOPE.

Philip Williamson

Aug 17, 2022, 3:02:16 AM8/17/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Bill laid out a good summary of the different ways people approach this question.
I've only ever owned a single Rivendell - my 2004 Quickbeam.
  • As an answer to "what one Riv would you have among other bikes," it would be my Quickbeam. I have this. If I had TWO bikes, the Quickbeam would be one.
  • As an answer to "what one Riv would you have as your only bike," 10 years ago it would be the Quickbeam, but today it would probably be an Atlantis or some well-used 1993 Allrounder. I'm older, fatter, slower, and I do longer rides and bike camp with other people. They do not ride fixed gears in that way, even those with Quickbeams. When you're riding with people it's more fun if you're rolling with similar equipment and rhythm. "You do pretty good on that thing" gets tiresome.
  • As an answer to "what one Riv would be perfectly optimized for a kind riding you love," it would probably be a Legolas.
Philip
Sonoma County, Calif

Joe Bernard

Aug 17, 2022, 3:53:29 AM8/17/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
[  "You do pretty good on that thing" gets tiresome. ]

That's you on the Riv Ride up Mt. Diablo around 2006. Everyone gathered around after you rode a singlespeed to the ranger station muttering "that's impressive, but he's CRAZY." 😂

Chris Balaschak

Aug 24, 2022, 8:53:39 PM8/24/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm the owner of three Rivs, and have generally always enjoyed 'road' bikes; that is, a less upright geometry, and drop bars.

2014 Sam Hillborne
The Sam is my go-to for just about everything: commuting, exploring, getting lost, etc. I have never had a bike fit so comfortably. While the berthoud saddle definitely helps, the general uprightness of the bike works so well. Having ridden many road bikes (including a Nobilette I sorely miss) the Sam has made me a full convert to just wearing sandals and loose-fitting clothes for rides.

2006 Legolas
The Legolas is aggressive and nimble by Riv standards (would we expect less from Legolas?), and is super fun for what the kids call 'gravel' riding. It is road bike geometry, built by Nobilette, lightweight, and fast. As a CX bike it doesn't fit big tires by today's standards, maxing out at about 33-35, but on hardpacked forest roads, it is so agile.

2006 Rambouillet
The Ram fits somewhere in-between - a bit more roadey than the Sam, while more laid back than the Legolas. I like it for long days in the saddle, and when I don't want/need to carry anything.

End of the day, though, Sam would be "the one."

PXL_20211218_190214864.jpg

Alexander Chalmers

Aug 24, 2022, 9:34:41 PM8/24/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Chris, i think a Sam would probably be the best option for my riding as well, if i could only have a single bike.

Bill, to your point, i am a multiple bike person. The rivendells i am interested in reflect that i think - not necessarily the most versatile, but they would fill out my selection better. I do realize this variance (among other things) from person to person means that the answers are a bit skewed. Still, it's fun to hear what everyone rides most or enjoys most for whatever reason!

Chris Halasz

Aug 25, 2022, 2:32:33 PM8/25/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
It appears Rivendell declared "ONE BIKE TO RULE THEM ALL" some time ago with the introduction of the Sam Hillborne:

IMG-4527.jpg

And, clearly, without evidence of a similar statement for the introduction of a subsequent model, they too must be subservient to the Sam.

Kidding aside, the wonderful thing about Rivendell bikes is how versatile they are, and the wonderful thing about their owners is how creative and unique are their builds and applications of their preferred models.

Cheers

Chris
Ketchum ID

Chris L

Aug 28, 2022, 10:39:50 AM8/28/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've only ridden one Riv and it's hard to imagine there is a better bike for me than my first run 54cm Hunqapillar.

Out of the existing Rivendell models, a Bombadil or the 56cm 650B Hunqapillar might be preferable, only because I like fat tires but on smaller wheels.  If I ever have my Hunqapillar painted, which would mean I know I'll keep it until I die, I will probably have disc brake tabs added so I can go 650B.  I've run the numbers and BB height and trail wouldn't be anything unusual.

My ultimate hypothetical Rivendell would be the original 56cm 26" wheeled Atlantis with an extra 5cm of top-tube length.

54 Hunqapillar half size.jpg

Ryan Frahm

Aug 28, 2022, 10:54:24 AM8/28/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Great looking bike Chris! Have you thought about the Paul Motolite? You could go 650b without all the extra work!

Chris L

Aug 28, 2022, 11:59:00 AM8/28/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Unfortunately, the Motolite only works for increasing wheel size and not in the other direction.   I e-mailed Paul when I first read about people using it for the purpose of running different wheel sizes and he confirmed it only works in one direction.

Ryan Frahm

Aug 28, 2022, 12:41:37 PM8/28/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Sorry, I thought it had 26” and wanted to go up. Whoops!
Message has been deleted

Johnny Burrell

Sep 16, 2022, 7:53:23 PM9/16/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Sorry bout that. If I could  only have one Rivendell it would be a Hunqapillar. If I could only have one bike that wouldn't be it though. I live in Portland Oregon, I need disc brakes for winter commuting. I did rim brakes for many years and rebuilding wheels gets old.