Anyone Fender a Romulus?

Tommy Love

Mar 23, 2024, 2:36:00 PMMar 23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Looking to not buy multiple sized fenders and tires, never fendered a bike before, hoping to receive some wisdom. Riv claimed fenders with tires as wide as 35.  SomaFabShop is running a sale this weekend and would like to pick up some Honjos.  If I were to go with 33 or 35 wide tires, would a 43mm or 45mm fender work?  I read that 8mm wider than tire is the min, 10-12 is more ideal.  Have Tektro 559 Long reach side pulls on.  Here is link to Riv description for sizes
Tommy
SoCal

nlerner

Mar 23, 2024, 2:50:23 PMMar 23
to RBW Owners Bunch
I installed fenders on my now-departed Romulus: https://flic.kr/p/2eiGU18

I believe those are Planet Bike fenders and 32mm Pasela tires.

Neal Lerner
Brookline MA

Joe Bernard

Mar 23, 2024, 10:25:29 PMMar 23
to RBW Owners Bunch
This is 20-year-old memory now but my experience says 35 with fenders is optimistic. I'm fairly certain I tried that size Pasela with SKS fenders and I got up to some serious fender cutting around the (stock) brakes to make it work; I'm not convinced 559 brakes will make much difference at the top and sides, they're just longer arms. Add that - in my understanding - metal fenders need more room than plastic and I'm going to advise 32mm as the fattest tire a Romulus can run with fenders.

Joe Bernard

Nick Payne

Mar 24, 2024, 12:04:41 AMMar 24
to RBW Owners Bunch
On Sunday 24 March 2024 at 1:25:29 pm UTC+11 Joe Bernard wrote:
This is 20-year-old memory now but my experience says 35 with fenders is optimistic.

I would agree. I have Berthoud 40mm wide mudguards on my Romulus, and 32mm is the max tyre size I can use. And even there, there is rather minimal clearance above the tyre to the guard. I usually run it with 28mm tyres - here it is with Panaracer Roly Poly 28mm under the guards.
DSC05831.jpg

Nick Payne

Tommy Love

Mar 24, 2024, 2:42:48 PMMar 24
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks to everyone for the input, super helpful and sincerely appreciate it.
Tommy