Rec's for trailer hitch bike rack for 5 bikes

Deacon Patrick

Jun 7, 2020, 3:39:58 PM6/7/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Is there such a beastie? Needs to fit Clementine wheelbase. My wife and daughters would ride much more if they didn't have to ride to where it is kid friendly to ride.

Clayton Scott

Jun 7, 2020, 4:46:02 PM6/7/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
They do exist. However, even my 4 bike hitch rack (Thule) is really more of a 2 bike rack. Stacking 5 bikes on 5 bike rack might be quite a challenge if it is spaced similarly to mine. In addition the bikes tend to rub against each other unless you really "pack" them well which is time consuming. If I was in the market for a bike transport solution for 5 bikes I'd probably start looking at trailers instead. Or get a roof rack in addition.

Clayton Scott
HBG, CA

Robert Tilley

Jun 7, 2020, 4:51:52 PM6/7/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Recon racks make them. Not cheap but a friend of mine has their 4 bike rack and he loves it. Bikes with fenders could be an issue.

Robert Tilley
San Diego, CA

Sent from my BlackBerry - the most secure mobile device
Sent: June 7, 2020 12:39 PM
Subject: [RBW] Rec's for trailer hitch bike rack for 5 bikes

Bicycle Belle Ding Ding!

Jun 7, 2020, 5:00:48 PM6/7/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
DP: Can you fit one bike in the back of the vehicle and then put the other four on the rack? If so, Saris makes a bike rack (Freedom is the model name, I think) that holds 4 bikes and you can buy long wheelbase bars to fit the LWB of the Clementines. I have the 2019 version with a 50 inch WB and it fits great with the new bar. If you have WB shorter than 48, you don’t need the bar.

I load this rack by myself all the time, and it’s a challenge with 3 sets of Boscos and the racks and baskets but we make it work. It also tilts so you can access the trunk when the rack is loaded with your bikes. I love it!

Clayton Scott

Jun 7, 2020, 5:56:34 PM6/7/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
That Recon actually looks like it would have none of the issues I mentioned. Went through 3 rack purchases over the years and somehow this company never made it on my radar.

Clayton Scott

Deacon Patrick

Jun 7, 2020, 6:03:03 PM6/7/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks, all! The trailer idea may be the winner to consider, especially as they would be easily found used. The Recon Rack is intriguing too.

To paint a fuller picture: we've had a rear mount rack (not trailer hitch) for 3 bikes, and we have a 2 bike roof rack, but I'm the only one who can load it, and that can be iffy with my vertigo. Even an extended Dodge Caravan fills rapidly to capacity with 5 people and their stuff, so no room inside for the bigger bikes. That worked until this spring's shift up in size, and even then some ingrates found it uncomfortable to have pedals and handlebars in neck and ribs. Grin.

With abandon,
Patrick

Robert Tilley

Jun 7, 2020, 6:47:19 PM6/7/20
to rbw-owners-bunch
I've been trying to decide on a rack but my "quiver" of bikes is odd enough that getting a rack that works with them all is difficult. Plus the vehicles I need to put the rack on add complexity.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Draftmaster since I do need to transport a tandem in addition to single bikes. They aren't cheap and require the front wheels to be removed which is one thing about them I really don't like. I am also considering a 1Up hitch rack with their tandem extension. This would work ok on my camper van but would stick out too far for comfort on my Jeep. On the van the tandem would still be within the width of the side mirrors.

http://www.atoc.com/draftmastermain.php

Robert Tilley
San Diego, CA

Sent from my BlackBerry - the most secure mobile device

Jun 7, 2020, 10:29:38 PM6/7/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Good folks in your neighboring Utah make this fiver-
https://www.altaracks.com/product/alta-six-gpr-five-pack/
-Kai

Keith Weaver

Jun 8, 2020, 11:26:14 AM6/8/20