Looking for in house bike stand/holder

Joel

Sep 24, 2020, 1:36:28 PM9/24/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Cross posted on Bob.

I have the very old stands that Rivendell sold years ago, not very stable.  I’d like either 1 double or 2 single bike holders, floor style to keep my bikes safe. Recommendations appreciated.  I’ve seen a few on eBay and Amazon but thought it wise to check here before buying.

Thanks

David

Sep 24, 2020, 1:59:50 PM9/24/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joel
Are you talking a work stand or display stand. I have a couple of Nitto display stands that are quite nice but designed for 120 or 126 rear hubs so a bit of a wrestle to install. I also picked up a couple of Minoura stands that are newer so more readily fit modern bikes. More convenient but certainly a trade off on aesthetics.

David

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 24, 2020, at 1:36 PM, Joel <JRSt...@gmail.com> wrote:

Cross posted on Bob.

I have the very old stands that Rivendell sold years ago, not very stable.  I’d like either 1 double or 2 single bike holders, floor style to keep my bikes safe. Recommendations appreciated.  I’ve seen a few on eBay and Amazon but thought it wise to check here before buying.

Thanks

Ed Carolipio

Sep 24, 2020, 2:15:35 PM9/24/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have the Feedback Velo Cache configured to carry 4 bikes: https://www.feedbacksports.com/product/velo-cache-black/

Good points:
  • Free standing so no need to attach to anything, and from my experience very stable
  • Lightweight
  • Fit and finish are excellent
  • Rubber "grips" are sturdy and protect the paint finish on the top tube
Downsides:
  • Pricey
  • (Potential) Unknown how well it'll work with double top tube Rivs
  • Need a top tube frame adapter for swoopy top tube frames(Clem L, Cheviot, Gus/Suzie)

--Ed C.

Joel Stern

Sep 24, 2020, 2:20:00 PM9/24/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
David, not a work stand, not yet anyway. I want the bikes to be secure in my sunroom which is where I leave them during cycling season but the stands I have now are not at all secure, either too loose or too tight, I can adjust but they seem to not be good for either 42mm or 48mm tires. These use the front tire.

Joel

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/018172EC-9E9B-499E-A711-37196E4413D5%40gmail.com.

Joel Stern

Sep 24, 2020, 2:21:24 PM9/24/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ed, I was thinking of something like this or a floor stand. I will take a look in a bit. I appreciate your input.

Joel

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/e87487d0-3944-4173-a6f3-1b35414492c4n%40googlegroups.com.

James Valiensi

Sep 24, 2020, 2:33:21 PM9/24/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Feedback sports has nice floor stands for storage. I use them.

The Snag

Sep 24, 2020, 4:25:21 PM9/24/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Somafab has some nice looking stands by Kogu that are currently on sale....

Joel Stern

Sep 24, 2020, 4:40:34 PM9/24/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks James, I’ll look.

--
~IMPORTANT~ Note to all~~ EMAIL ETIQUETTE
If you forward this email, please highlight and delete the forwarding history, which includes my email address and maybe others. It is a courtesy to me and others who may not wish to have their email addresses sent all over the world. Erasing the history helps prevent Spammers from obtaining addresses, prevents viruses from being propagated, and limits the proliferation of spam. Also, please use the “BCC” area instead of “TO” and “CC” when forwarding to several people at once.

Robert Hakim

Sep 25, 2020, 10:39:04 PM9/25/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I know you stated that you prefer a floor stand but I believe these Velo hinges are worth consideration if you are able to lift your bike up.

I live in a moderate size apartment and keep 6 bicycles reasonably accessible between a floor stand and 2 hinges. I was concerned with the weight of my off-road touring bike and was comforted by installing it so the hook would flex and allow the rear wheel to rest on the floor, while still able to pivot easily.

I do recommend mounting hook for the rear wheel to a small piece of wood to protect the paint from tire marks.

Robert,
SLC, Ut

Joel Stern

Sep 25, 2020, 10:44:18 PM9/25/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Robert.  I’d love to use a wall but I don’t have a clear one.  I do have floor space.

James / Analog Cycles

Sep 26, 2020, 9:55:37 AM9/26/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Best I've used (and I have used Delta, Minoura, Feedback):  https://uniorusa.com/products/floor-stand-1693h?_pos=1&_sid=57a1e46ee&_ss=r

Here's our test:  we elevate expensive bikes on pedestals in the shop.  They need to stay upright, more or less no matter what.  Kids, dogs, bikes bump into them.  These Unior stands are heavy, stable, easy to use, pretty affordable.  Highly adaptable: fat bikes, thru axles, it doesn't matter, that fork thing just works.   Stable without screwing it down, really insanely stable if you screw it to the floor or a board.

-James / Analog Cycles

Nathan F

Sep 26, 2020, 11:57:14 AM9/26/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
What we use at my shop: https://designbydelta.com/collections/bike-racks/products/adjustable-floor-stand

I love the adaptability of it, literally and bike will work. We've used them for road and (increasingly) full suspension e-mtbs, which are extremely heavy. I've also found it to be the easiest rack to take bikes out of and correspondingly put bikes into, it only takes a second. You can also chain them together with an optional attachment to make a custom rack that'll fit all of your bikes.

-Nathan in pdx

Joel Stern

Sep 26, 2020, 1:04:04 PM9/26/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Nathan, those look great, thank you.

Joel

Sep 26, 2020, 2:28:30 PM9/26/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Nathan, I looked at it a bit more, I like the flexibility of being able to bring the rack closer to the tires, and move further for bigger ones. This and the Feedback look great.

Roberta

Sep 27, 2020, 1:40:48 PM9/27/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Snag,

I've seen a few like this, from your link, that hold the bike vertical, but this is the first one I saw that one can use with a rack on the back.  When I get home, I'm going to look to see if it will also work with my fenders, as the sides of the stand come up a bit.

Thanks for the link!

Roberta

PS In college I had a bungee cord in a corner near the ceiling  of my dorm room. I tipped my bike vertical and hooked the front tire to the bungee cord. The bike leaned on the side wall.    Worked well since the dorm walls were cinder block.

Patrick Moore

Sep 27, 2020, 3:04:47 PM9/27/20
to rbw-owners-bunch
Roberta: Thanks for that link. I've been thinking of a stand or 2 and this has the advantage of taking less floor area.

If you try this, particularly with fenders, will you please report how well it works?

In other news, 15 years ago or so I scavenged one of those old-fashioned parking lot bike stands from my place of work(*) made with closely spaced vertical tubes to hold bikes by their front tires. This one could hold oh, perhaps 10 bikes, so I had one of the janitors cut it for 4 and drove it home in my van. It worked well, but the bikes stuck out rearward and took up close to half the width of the garage, so I sold it on Craigslist. But someone somewhere makes small ones, for a couple of bikes, and a neighbor has one; I've been unsuccessful so far in seeing him out and about to ask if he wants to sell it.

* I was the goy Administrator for the local Conservative Jewish synagogue for a couple of years, which was a rather, well, interesting experience ... When I told them I was an Orthodox Christian -- upper case "O" as in Russia or Greece or Syria -- they looked at me askance; pogroms? But I reassured them that "Jesus was a Jew" and they were mollified. Funny, all the administrators and department heads were goyim.

Patrick Moore

Sean Kline

Sep 27, 2020, 5:16:57 PM9/27/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Has anyone tried this:

I've not had great luck with Etsy items generally, but appreciate the ethos. Does this rather pricey item's function match it's minimalist form? I'm looking for a stand for garage where I installed a few of these: https://lockitt.com/xena-xga03-anchor.html

Sean

Hetchins52

Sep 28, 2020, 1:57:11 AM9/28/20
to RBW Owners Bunch

10% Off Anything in the Shop
Friday, 9/25 thru Monday, 9/28, midnight
MUST use Promo Code: fall2020

Melanie

Sep 28, 2020, 8:16:36 AM9/28/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Roberta/Patrick - I’m using what looks like exactly the same rack, but branded Minoura. But it doesn’t work for my bikes with fenders.
Melanie

Patrick Moore

Sep 28, 2020, 3:03:57 PM9/28/20
to rbw-owners-bunch
Thanks for the heads-up, Melanie.

I may look at those little stands that hold the bike up by the crank arm; we used those at a shop I worked at during 1 summer and they seemed to be more stable, and even less obtrusive, than the ones with 2 hooks on a post that hold the bike by chain and seat stays, as long as your bikes don't have especially bulbous cranks.

S. Greco

Sep 29, 2020, 12:06:57 PM9/29/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I bought a Nitto one recently and really love it. It is strong enough and also floats the rear wheel high enough to do simple drivetrain work.

Joel Stern

Sep 29, 2020, 12:46:33 PM9/29/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Those look nice.  Where did you find one?  I only see Ben’s and Rene Herse.

Message has been deleted

S. Greco

Sep 29, 2020, 6:09:44 PM9/29/20
to RBW Owners Bunch

I got mine from Rene Herse. I got the non-folding variety. I have never tried the folding one. I rarely need a full repair stand at home and I really wish I had bought this Nitto one years ago - it's super nice to be able to rotate the pedals/rear wheel while tuning a derailleur. It's sorta not compatible with old campy style skews though, because of the way it pinches the skewer, It works fantastic with most though, especially the Paul skewers.

Joel Stern

Sep 29, 2020, 6:21:21 PM9/29/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Well I need to stance and I ordered another one from a company that was recommended in this thread. But I’m going to have to look at this Nitto one because it does look good it just takes up a little more space it seems but probably not too much and I do like the idea of being able to spin the wheels while the bike is in the house and I’ll try to get upside down.  Please forgive my grammar as I dictated this

On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 6:09 PM S. Greco <steven...@gmail.com> wrote:
I ordered mine from Rene Herse - the non folding variety. I've never tried the folding one, but I wish I had bought this Nitto stand years ago. I rarely need a full work stand, but it's excellent to be able to adjust a derailleur while spinning the pedals/wheels securely and that stand fits just about anywhere, or just holds your bike up and looks nice.

Patrick Moore

Sep 29, 2020, 6:21:58 PM9/29/20
to rbw-owners-bunch
This is the one presently at the top of my short list.

Has anyone else besides James used these, and can it-er-she-er-he-er-she-er-it report on their (1) stability and (2) ease of use?

The Nitto stands look nice, but I wonder if they're not more fiddley than this one?

James: These went to the top of my list because I am inclined to trust your judgment, so don't be offended if I ask for backup opinion.

On Saturday, September 26, 2020 at 9:55:37 AM UTC-4 James / Analog Cycles wrote:
Best I've used (and I have used Delta, Minoura, Feedback):  https://uniorusa.com/products/floor-stand-1693h?_pos=1&_sid=57a1e46ee&_ss=r

Patrick Moore

Sep 29, 2020, 6:23:23 PM9/29/20
to rbw-owners-bunch
And (3): report, please, on how well this serves as a stand for minor drivetrain tuneups and cleaning.