What size seatpost for new Appaloosa and Atlantis

Joel Stern

Jul 16, 2020, 10:19:40 AM7/16/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
27.2 or 26.8?

Joel Stern

Jul 16, 2020, 10:46:25 AM7/16/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I found it

On Thursday, July 16, 2020 at 10:19:40 AM UTC-4 Joel Stern wrote:
27.2 or 26.8?

Dave Johnston

Jul 16, 2020, 11:24:21 AM7/16/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
26.8, but they come shipped with a Kalloy seapost. I found the post it shipped with fit best and a different identical looking 26.8 Kalloy was so loose it could rattle. A Nitto was better than that but still loose enough to fall right in all the way to the saddle by gravity alone, but it seemed to tighten down securely.

-Dave

Joel Stern

Jul 16, 2020, 11:25:40 AM7/16/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Dave

Nick Payne

Jul 16, 2020, 4:57:58 PM7/16/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
On Friday, 17 July 2020 01:24:21 UTC+10, Dave Johnston wrote:
26.8, but they come shipped with a Kalloy seapost. I found the post it shipped with fit best and a different identical looking 26.8 Kalloy was so loose it could rattle. A Nitto was better than that but still loose enough to fall right in all the way to the saddle by gravity alone, but it seemed to tighten down securely.

On my Appaloosa, I had a nice NOS Suntour Superbe Pro 26.8 seatpost that I wanted to use (I put the provided Kalloy aside), but it was similarly a slightly loose fit, plus I also noticed that the inside of the seat tube wasn't completely round - before the seatpost clamp was completely tightened down, there was a slight gap on one side where the post entered the seat tube. As I also had a 27.0 Nitto seatpost, I got out my expanding 23.75-27.0 reamer and reamed the seattube to take the 27.0 Nitto post, which a) got rid of the looseness, and b) got rid of the non-roundness.

Nick

Joel Stern

Jul 16, 2020, 7:01:02 PM7/16/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Not great on a $1500 frame

Chris Birkenmaier

Jul 16, 2020, 7:59:16 PM7/16/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
When I bought my Joe A the seat post size spec didn’t come close. I needed to up the size of the post so that it would fit. I emailed Riv to let them know how far Off the size was.

Joe Bernard

Jul 16, 2020, 8:23:03 PM7/16/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I had this issue with several MIT Rivs and it seemed to be a problem with the stock 26.8 post. In every case that size Nitto fit perfect.
Message has been deleted