In Praise of RBW

Steve Cole

May 14, 2020, 11:58:07 AM5/14/20
to RBW Owners Bunch

Everyone I know knows what I think about Rivendell Bikes – I have three and my wife has (had) one.  When I first learned about these bikes and Grant’s philosophy, it was as if I had found my cycling home.  No other bikes every seemed as wonderful.

As a daily reader and occasional contributor to RBW Owners Bunch, I know there are many others who share my affection for Riv Bikes.  I have never taken the time, however, to talk about  R BW and the staff.  An event of this week makes me want now more than ever to sing RBW’s praises.

Over the years, I’ve had many occasions to interact with RBW staff, mostly over the phone.  Once, while visiting my daughter and her family in the Bay Area, I went out to Walnut Creek, a kind of pilgrimage.  Grant gave me the kind of personal attention I am certain he – and Will, and Mark, and Vince and all the staff – gives every visitor whether a first-timer like myself or a regular.

This week.  My grandson is just beginning to cycle – he’s been practicing on the flat top of a parking garage.  On Monday, I loaded my wife’s Betty Foy onto the roof of our car and headed over to the parking garage where she planned to ride with my grandson.  The entrance to the garage is on the top level and we drove in – or tried to.  Regrettably, there is a bar over the entrance that restricts the height of vehicles entering.  There was no sign and I did not notice the bar.  I ran into it and Betty was knocked off the roof.  Initially, it seemed like the most serious damage was to the stem.  It was bent pretty badly.  Otherwise, everything seemed like it could be put back together.

After replacing the headset, I went to install the fork.  Ughh!  The top of the threaded section on the steerer had broken off.  My first thought was to reach out to Bilenky to see whether they could remove the steerer tube from the fork and weld on a new one.  A lightbulb went off and some dim memories of RBW selling just forks suggested I reach out to see whether they might have a spare.  I called and spoke with Vince.  I took the measurements he asked for.  Within 10 minutes, he called to let me know they had a replacement – and to cushion the blow and lessen my guilt, it was already painted in Betty Foy blue with the red mustache on the fork crown.  Vince sent it out the same day.

What can I say.  What other company would even have spare forks for a nearly 10-year old bike, much less one that is already painted and will fit perfectly?

RBW – and especially Vince – I remain a devoted follower!

ANDREW ERMAN

May 14, 2020, 12:25:45 PM5/14/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I agree Steve.  My experiences in person and on the phone have been uniformly great.  Andy

Patrick Moore

May 14, 2020, 6:24:39 PM5/14/20
to rbw-owners-bunch
+1. I've had instances when email went unanswered because they got lost and staff was very busy, but calls were always handled quickly, professionally, and in a very friendly manner.

Patrick Moore

Philip Williamson

May 14, 2020, 8:30:24 PM5/14/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Wow! That's a great end to a gut-wrenching story.
Many happy years on the new fork, I hope!

Philip
Santa Rosa, CA

Jason Fuller

May 15, 2020, 4:10:34 PM5/15/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Wow, that's great!  I have to imagine some luck went into that as well, but needless to say RBW doesn't treat obsolescence the way most bike makers do. I'm more of an email than a call kind of person, which doesn't really jive with RBW's preferences, and I find I sometimes don't get responses, or they're slow.  But I know it's a dedicated group there so no hard feelings about it.

Nathan Mattia

May 17, 2020, 4:19:42 PM5/17/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
All this is soooooo true!
I called a month ago for a Large Royal Trunksack, after hearing crickets here on the forum for a month when I put out a WTB notice.
Turns out they never actually put Large Royal Trunksack into circulation.  They don’t really exist.
But you know what, they had one at RivHQ in the back.  It even had a missing rivet, so Will sold it to me at a significant discount.
I am loyal for life now.

Joe Bernard

May 17, 2020, 5:48:37 PM5/17/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Nathan: It worked! I remember telling you I wasn't sure they even existed but to give Will a holler. So I was kinda right and the advice worked anyway. Nice! 😁