GP chats with Paul of Paul Components

Mark Roland

Feb 22, 2020, 6:18:33 PM2/22/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Lots of unracer stuff that most here know about, but also some fun stuff. Plus a nice gratuitous shot of an X0-1

Check it out and come back and take this reading comprehension quiz:

1. In the late 60s early 70s, Grant was into

A. Soap-making
B. Hitchhiking
C. Beekeeping
E. Studying Whole Earth Catalogs
D. All of the above

2. The product manager at Bridgestone who helped Grant with the X0-1 was

A.Yoshi
B. Ogawa
C.Isayama
D. Masa
E. All of the above

3. Grant and his Dad favored what type of shotgun?

A. Double barrel
B. Pump
C. Semi-automatic
D. None of the above; they used a sling-shot

Which snacks does Grant enjoy on an ideal bicycle ride?

A. dried apricots and sardines
B. salmon and kale chips
C. salmon and blueberry basil kombucha
D. sardines and Costco energy bars

ascpgh

Feb 23, 2020, 7:49:11 AM2/23/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks for posting that Mark.

Two of my favorite bike people. I've talked with both on subjects that were barely cycling related. I love that much more than conversations that never leave cycling or cycling hardware confines. They have the sort of life context in their cycling pursuits that are interesting after a ride or away from the shop and their products.

Bikes and riding are a part of my world, not a compartmentalized subject for periodic immersion at the exclusion of all else. Grant and Paul are examples of the compatibility of the same outlook and a productive life pursuit. Racer-ism drove me off the roads, into the woods on my RockHopper, until racers got their MTBs and infiltrated trail rides. Then I rode my RB-1 where none of them would go on their 700 x 23s and rode my purple XO-2 farther in the woods and forests than they could with their MTBs. Thinking like that lead to long rides and overnights out along vast networks of Forest Service roads, thirty years ago. My sister stillforwards me event notices of rides/races now held in those places, asking  "isn't that where you used to ride?"

Not to say it's an objective, but wouldn't we all do well to carry on as if we'd have a quiz over a conversation someone notable had with any of us? B., E., A., D.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh

Steve Palincsar

Feb 23, 2020, 8:21:35 AM2/23/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Now what was that about leaving bandannas under rocks?  I always have the scrag end of a toilet roll in my handlebar bag for those times of need when they haven't restocked the portolet, and I'm not even doing trips out in the wilderness.  I thought Grant was a bit of a Boy Scout.  What ever happened to Be Prepared...?

Steve Palincsar
Alexandria, Virginia
USA

in Dallas nick

Feb 23, 2020, 1:02:45 PM2/23/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

I enjoyed reading that.

Thanks for posting Mark.

I'll have to try the Costco Chocolate Energy bars.

Paul in Dallas
with at least 30 bandanas,
Never leave home without one or two
but never wiped the end zone with one.

Mainly for sweat bands for me or an occasional bank job.

Just kidding about the 2nd one.

in Dallas nick

Feb 23, 2020, 3:29:47 PM2/23/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

I forgot to mention bandanas are also useful on the occasion cattle drive.

I'm am in Texas after all.

Paul in Dallas

Patrick Moore

Feb 23, 2020, 5:16:55 PM2/23/20
to rbw-owners-bunch
+ 1 for bandanas -- I might as well add, +1 for the article; thanks for posting it.

I've got a pile of those bandanas, and always carry 1 in a rear pocket -- jersey, jacket, pants -- while riding to wipe sweat, glasses, and nose, not necessarily in that order. I also keep others, old ones, in each of my (currently 3) bike kit bags, where they have been invaluable in wiping up errant sealant from the inside of tires during roadside tube replacements. Brow, nose, glasses (shades, no prescr), tires, and sometimes greasy bits -- in no particular order.

But ... forgive me for asking: isn't the "bandana under rock" reference to bandanas used trailside when you didn't bring your roll of Scott? (No, I don't use my bandanas for that purpose, even after wiping nose.)

Patrick Moore

Steve Palincsar

Feb 23, 2020, 5:21:19 PM2/23/20

On 2/23/20 5:16 PM, Patrick Moore wrote:
+ 1 for bandanas -- I might as well add, +1 for the article; thanks for posting it.

I've got a pile of those bandanas, and always carry 1 in a rear pocket -- jersey, jacket, pants -- while riding to wipe sweat, glasses, and nose, not necessarily in that order. I also keep others, old ones, in each of my (currently 3) bike kit bags, where they have been invaluable in wiping up errant sealant from the inside of tires during roadside tube replacements. Brow, nose, glasses (shades, no prescr), tires, and sometimes greasy bits -- in no particular order.

But ... forgive me for asking: isn't the "bandana under rock" reference to bandanas used trailside when you didn't bring your roll of Scott? (No, I don't use my bandanas for that purpose, even after wiping nose.)

What else could it possibly be?  Hence my comment about carrying the scrag end of a toilet roll in my handlebar bag.

--
Steve Palincsar
Alexandria, Virginia

Patrick Moore