Also ISO/WTT/WTB Shimano type 10 sp cassette with 14 small cog and 25, 26, 27, 28 big cog

Patrick Moore

Feb 22, 2024, 3:06:11 PMFeb 22
to internet-bob, rbw-owners-bunch
I know that Shimano makes 14-20-something 10 speed cassettes; I want something I can modify to, say (need not be exactly so) 14-15-16-17-18-19-20-22-24-27 or ... 21-23-27 or ... 28. Will use no cog larger than a 28.

Please reply offlist.

Thanks.

--

Patrick Moore

Executive resumes, LinkedIn profiles, bios, letters, and other writing services

When thou didst not, savage, know thine own meaning,

But wouldst gabble like a thing most brutish,

I endowed thy purposes with words that made them known.

R. Alexis

Feb 23, 2024, 12:07:17 AMFeb 23
to RBW Owners Bunch
PM sent.

I have two SRAM PG 1070 10 speed cassettes. One 12-25 and one 12-27.

12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19, 21, 24, 27

12, 13, 14, 15, 15, 17, 19, 21, 23, 25

Last 3 cogs on each are attached to a spider.

Let me know if you are interested. I may have some individual cogs I can dig through.

Thanks,

Reginald Alexis

Patrick Moore

Feb 23, 2024, 12:12:23 AMFeb 23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Reginald, but I'm looking for a 10 sp cassette with a 14-tooth small cog and close ratios and a big cog under 30 teeth. I'm pretty sure Shimano makes these -- for junior racing? -- including a close ratio 14-something [and even a close ratio 15-something] but I'd have to modify it in any event so I'd need one with separate "big" cogs, ie not attached to a spider.

I'll probably just order from a Miche cog smorgasbord so that I can choose those that I need.

Russell Duncan

Feb 23, 2024, 10:32:00 AMFeb 23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Patrick,

Like you, I’m also a fan of Miche cassettes because of the ability to customize their gear ratios with all 10 cogs being loose. They make a good product, and I also look for a high gear of no less than 14 teeth.

Russell Duncan
Leverett, MA

Patrick Moore

Feb 23, 2024, 10:42:31 AMFeb 23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
This is what I have in mind. I can't find a 14-25 or so ready-made cassette online, but I've seen them listed somewhere before; can anyone point me to "Junior racing" cassettes?

Thanks.

60 MM 29.5"
 4428
1493
1587
1681
177649
187246
196843
216239
235636
255233
284630

Patrick Moore

Feb 23, 2024, 10:55:48 AMFeb 23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I see that PJ White has Ultegra14-25 10 speed cassettes but they're $120. For that price I'll try getting Miche cogs to order plus spacers. He also sells a 9 speed Tiagra for $32 [14-15-16-17-18-19-21-23-25].

That might work with the addition of a 28. Am I right in assuming that with such close-ratio cassettes all the cogs are hub-mounted instead of spider-mounted?

Can anyone say how well Tiagra cogs wear compared to higher-end ones?

PJW sells the same 9 sp cassette [14-15-16-17-18-19-21-23-25] in the Ultegra flavor, but it's $100: what do you get for the additional $68? More mileage?

Thanks.

Bill Lindsay

Feb 23, 2024, 11:06:14 AMFeb 23
to RBW Owners Bunch
I run an Ultegra 14-25 on Bambi and have one spare also Ultegra, in the box.  I bought a spare because I perceived them as having gone out of production.  Because of your post I went to eBay to find a nice used one.  I found one listed for $29 or best offer.  I offered $25 and it was accepted.  So now I'll have a new 14-25, a new spare as well as a used spare.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

Patrick Moore

Feb 23, 2024, 11:15:38 AMFeb 23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Ebay. Why yes, I've shopped there before. Will look; thanks.

[A few minutes later.] Scolled through several dozen but all either priced higher than PJW's Tiagras or "pre-owned."

Do you (all) know what makes the Ultegra better than the Tiagra?

Patrick Moore, who hates scrolling through too many choices.

Patrick Moore

Feb 23, 2024, 11:16:32 AMFeb 23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Here's one for $11.48:

100% Hits Volume 14 in Volume.25 Case CASSETTE TAPE
Opens in a new window or tab
Pre-Owned
C $11.48
Top Rated SellerTop Rated Seller
Buy It Now
handheldfun2009 (18,055) 99.7%
+C $26.51 shipping
from Australia

Bill Lindsay

Feb 23, 2024, 12:11:09 PMFeb 23
to RBW Owners Bunch
100% hits!  That sounds perfect

BL in EC

Patrick Moore

Feb 23, 2024, 2:36:14 PMFeb 23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I just ordered 3 of the Tiagras at $32.99; Peter has 3 left so here's you chance! Note: he also has 9 (and10?) sp Ultegra and 10 sp (??) DA 14-25s but for a lot more money.

Apparently the advantage of the Tiagras is that Shimano doesn't bother with a spider so yes, you can drill them out and replace the spacers with 10 speed ones.

I'll order the spacers and a Miche 28 from the LBS who are building the wheel; also have XT hub from Universal and a SP from a private source on-way.

Thanks all.