Stem-in-Steerer worry

Patrick Moore

Dec 17, 2019, 12:02:49 PM12/17/19
to rbw-owners-bunch
I recently installed a nice Tech Deluxe (thank you, David!) on the
2003 Road to replace a princess-and-pea-too-long Pearl. The 2003 has
an upsloping tt, a high head tube, and a long steerer, so I don't need
but a fraction of the Tech Deluxe's long quill above the waterline.
This means that there is a heckofalot (English unit) of quill shoved
down tight into the steerer. The quill is well lubed with Pep Boys
grease, but do I need to worry about it bonding with the steerer?
After how long?

I actually cut the quill on the other Tech Deluxe on the 1999 Road of
similar build, but that was (he said, blushing) to accommodate a
weight saving titanium binder bolt.

Patrick Moore

Joe Bernard

Dec 17, 2019, 12:27:37 PM12/17/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
It couldn't hurt to lift and twist a couple times a year. The bigger concern is that it's not wedged in the butted section at the bottom, it needs to sit just above that.

Patrick Moore

Dec 17, 2019, 12:49:52 PM12/17/19
to rbw-owners-bunch
Given the miles-long length of the steerer -- 58 c-c frame with upsloping tt, and sub 25" wheels -- the steerer butt is way, way down there.

We'll see. I do have a second titanium binder bolt ...

Funny, and I don't know if this was raised on the RBW list, but the long-quilled Tech Deluxe weighs about the same as, or even a bit less than, the Pearl with its much shorter quill but much thicker walls.