WTB 650B Dynamo Wheel & Question About Alex Rims

Dennis Wong

Feb 24, 2024, 11:51:21 AMFeb 24
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hello,

Purchased my first Riv, a mustard colored Clem Jr H!

I think the bike has the original 650B wheels marked Alex Rims.  The are about 31mm wide.  I'd was thinking of having someone build a new, matching front wheel with a dynamo.  I looked at the Velocity and Alex Rim sites.  Other than the Rivendell Site (650B/27.5/584 x DM18 x Shimano hubs) I don't see much on the web about these rims.  (What does the 584 and DM18 mean?)

Thank you.

Tire.jpg

Patrick Moore

Feb 24, 2024, 12:15:12 PMFeb 24
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Congrats on the new Clem. That's the model that I've most thought about recently. Perhaps one day ...

I've ridden Alex rims on 2 Redline Monocog 29ers and based on those I'd say that Redline makes good, workmanlike modestly priced rims that are really all that most of us need. 584 (millimeters) is the "bead seat diameter," the diameter of the rim where the tire bead sits, thus a measure of the inner tire bead diameter, and thus further a quick-reference for tire height (which of course varies almost infinetly according to tire width); the 650B designation is an ancient French and nowadays confusing name for precisely that bead seat diameter, so that 650B = 584 mm bsd. 650B/584 bsd tires and rims are sortof kindof halfway between "road wheels/tires" or 700c/622 bsd and "twenty six inch wheels", of which there are too many varieties to enumerate here but which commonly refers to the most common mountain bike wheel 20 and 30 years ago with a 559 mm bsd.

DM 18? I don't know but I'd guess that 18 mm is the inner width of the rim. Others can correct as necessary.

Josh C

Feb 24, 2024, 1:14:37 PMFeb 24
to RBW Owners Bunch
Maybe just have someone lace a dyno hub into that existing wheel. I just did this for my wife's platy and, other than buying a dyno hub, the work only cost me $50. Beats buying another wheel just to have the original hanging in my garage.

Jingy

Feb 25, 2024, 10:42:50 AMFeb 25
to RBW Owners Bunch
DM18 is the Alex rim model-https://alexrims.com/products/dm18/

Jim in Mpls

tio ryan

Feb 26, 2024, 11:22:46 AMFeb 26
to RBW Owners Bunch
I appreciate that info, Josh! I'm in a similar situation with my Platypus — I'd like to add a dynamo, but I don't necessarily want to have mismatched rims, nor do I want my original front wheel just hanging on the wall. I had no idea what it'd cost to have the hub swapped on the existing wheel.

Dennis Wong

Mar 2, 2024, 1:59:52 PMMar 2
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks all for the info. I believe this is actually an Alex DM24, not a DM18.

I am going to try to find a local wheel builder that can take this wheel apart and rebuild it with a Shimano dynamo - that way I don't have another set of wheels (or a spart front wheel) lying around as Josh mentions.  I cleaned up the wheel and there is some discoloration/oxidation around some of the spoke holes - doesn't look like a real crack.

Anybody know of a wheel builder in Southern California (LA/OC)?  Golden Saddle closed.

Thank you.

aeroperf

Mar 2, 2024, 4:34:08 PMMar 2
to RBW Owners Bunch
Do it yourself!  Have your LBS order a matching dynamo and the required spokes (and the correct spoke wrench) and have at it with a little help from YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUqul03hbZ8

Then take it back to your LBS and have them tighten and true it for $20.

It only takes an evening, and nothing beats rolling on a wheel or set of wheels that YOU laced.

Patrick Moore

Mar 2, 2024, 4:57:26 PMMar 2
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I think my erstwhile Monocog 29er came with DM 24 rims; perfectly fine rims; they gave me no problems.

--

Patrick Moore

Executive resumes, LinkedIn profiles, bios, letters, and other writing services

When thou didst not, savage, know thine own meaning,

But wouldst gabble like a thing most brutish,

I endowed thy purposes with words that made them known.