Soma leftside chainstay clamp-on kickstand: Reviews?

Patrick Moore

Aug 14, 2020, 11:03:53 PM8/14/20
to rbw-owners-bunch

If anyone has used this, I'd be interested to hear how well it stays in place without clamping it to the point of creasing the metal. I considered this or one like it for my erstwhile Dahon Hon Solo, since I like rear-of-stay stands because they let you walk a fixed-gear bike without raising the stand -- scenario: you walk quietly through the grocery store aisles with your stand down and your cranks revolving, and simply set the bike down whenever you need two hands to grab your merchandise. It makes a big difference compared to a bb-area stand or to no stand.

I've used the old-fashion Greenfield version on another grocery fixie, but that one has a clamp that fits over both rearward chainstay and lower seatstay, providing lever resistance to untoward rotation.

So, again, can you clamp this in place, using some sort of stay protector if need be, securely enough that it doesn't rotate around the stay?

Patrick Moore

Eric Daume

Aug 15, 2020, 6:43:50 AM8/15/20
to Patrick Moore, rbw-owners-bunch
I tried it on my Jones, clamping it as hard as I dared, and it quickly collapsed:

IIRC, the mounting bolts use a tiny wrench, maybe 3mm, so you don't overtorque it.

It's junk; stay far far away. I'm disappointed that Rivendell is selling crap like this.

Eric

Fullylugged

Aug 15, 2020, 7:30:44 AM8/15/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I just added a kickstand to a bike (Raleigh C30 hybrid) for a local rider. This one worked great and the action was smooth. Looked and felt like it was well made. 1/2 the cost of the SOMA.

https://www.amazon.com/BV-Bike-Kickstand-Adjustable-Mountain/dp/B00LNM79CQ/ref=sr_1_3?crid=QGNIH6LGDSH9&dchild=1&keywords=bicycle%20kickstand%20rear%20mount&qid=1596759231&sprefix=bicycle%20kickstand%20rear%2Caps%2C174&sr=8-3

Patrick Moore

Aug 15, 2020, 11:28:00 AM8/15/20
to rbw-owners-bunch
Pawel and Eric: That is what I feared. The other similar ones I looked at last year had similar reviews.

Lim: I've thought myself of having a kickstand bracket attached just forward of the leftside dropout. I didn't use a Greenfield on the Dahon because it would have interfered with the folding.

Bruce: Those look like they might work well, but would probably interfere with a fixed wheel crank while you were wheeling it around. I wanted something that could be put in the "down" position and still allow the bike to be wheeled around.

Robb

Aug 20, 2020, 10:16:48 AM8/20/20
to RBW Owners Bunch

Soma-BuenaVista-kickstand_02.JPG

Soma-BuenaVista-kickstand_01.JPG

I installed them on both my wife's and mine Buena Vista "Sunday in the Park/Picnic" bikes.  They would not stay in place and the both bikes would fall over frequently. Replace the bolts with one's longer so I could add a lock nut on the inside and that accept a 4mm hex wrench to tighten. Big improvement, but would not buy again. Also heal strike issues, if you move the kickstand further aft the tube is too small to tighten it.