New Bike Day - 2002 Size 60 Rambouillet

Michael Ullmer

Dec 16, 2022, 8:19:24 AM12/16/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I haven't had a proper Riv for about 5 years and had been itching for a simple, rackless bike to take out on mid-day rides with no destination in mind. I picked this up from a seller on Pinkbike. Aside from the wheels/drivetrain, I've switched up everything else about the build. I especially like the aesthetic of the lugged stem/seatpost with the lugs of the frame, so many lugs! Frame has the expected paint rubs and an unexpected small dent in the top tube, but hey, beausage! Now I don't have to be so precious with it. I'm very curious how it will ride compared with my 650b Rando Fitz.

It's currently kitted out with 48 Noodles, but may switch to Mustache which I'm finding I like more and more. I've got 35mm Bon Jon Pass tires in there now with very little fender room to spare. I may go with 32mm tires and fender it up for the winter and put 35s back on for the summer. I think the wheels are stock Dura Ace 9sp era hubs. The TA cranks are gorgeous, though I'll likely switch them out for WI Road Cranks. I also haven't used DT shifters in at least 10 years, so am excited to try out the Silver Shifters on here.

My ultimate plan is to build up a 700c SS wheelset with WI ENO Eccentric hub. After seeing Will's blog post yesterday about his SS Roadini, my plans solidified. Minneapolis is currently under 6" of fresh snow with single digit temps in the forecast, so haven't gotten this out for a test ride yet.

Mike in Minneapolis

Steven Sweedler

Dec 16, 2022, 8:40:49 AM12/16/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Very nice bike, I also am a big fan of Nitto’s lugged seatpost and stem. Steve

Steven Sweedler
Plymouth, New Hampshire

maxcr

Dec 16, 2022, 9:14:19 AM12/16/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Beautiful bike Michael, congrats!

I must say I felt a bit of deja vu because I also recently bought a 60 Ram frame on ebay and I just finished building up. I used all the components from my custom road (which I sold last year) which were also inherited from other builds.

I love this: "rackless bike to take out on mid-day rides with no destination in mind" - I have similar hopes for mine.

This is the first bike I've built myself from the frame up, but I feel like I cheated because most of the components from the custom just worked, ie. bottom bracket, chain length, etc... otherwise those might have tricked me up. There is still life in my jack browns, but I can't wait to try some RH tires on it, I will stay with 32mm ish tires though, they feel fast and I have other bikes with wider tires for other types of riding.

I still have to figure out a better / more elegant solution for the downtube bosses, I just didn't use ferrules because they didn't fit but there must be something I'm missing - the shifting is fine though. I ordered new 4mm ferrules (I think that's what Garth suggested on my other thread) to see if that'll do it.

The sad part is that I got sick right after building it, so I haven't ridden it more than around the block. My first impression is that I want a longer stem, we'll see. I hope the temperatures don't drop too fast so I can ride before winter gets bad in Boston.

IMG_8925.jpeg
*The saddle isn't tilted up as much anymore and the handlebars came down a bit.

Max

MoVelo

Dec 16, 2022, 10:00:59 AM12/16/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Max & Mike - those are both very nice. Orange is the fastest color!

Joel S

Dec 16, 2022, 10:47:22 AM12/16/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Beautiful, enjoy it, these older Rivendell bikes are my preferred models.

Mike Godwin

Dec 16, 2022, 11:06:36 AM12/16/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Nice Michael. I have the same crank that is on my Roadeo. Picked it up long ago at the Cow Palace bike swap meet for 30 bucks.
Mike SLO CA

John Dewey

Dec 16, 2022, 11:59:57 AM12/16/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Beautiful score, Mike! Really decent original shape, too. Somebody took wonderful care of it.

Here's another one, blue came along right after creamsicle. I think these bikes were created during Grant's Holy Days :  )

BEST/ Jock Dewey

PS: BTW, if you don't want that beautiful TA crankset, you can list it here and it will be gone in less than five seconds.

Michael Ullmer

Dec 16, 2022, 4:49:45 PM12/16/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks all. This era of Riv's definitely appeal to me the most. Looking forward to many happy miles on this one.

ascpgh

Dec 17, 2022, 5:22:22 AM12/17/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Sweet, Mike! You've joined the subset of RBW OG riders and yes, orange is the fastest color.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh

Patrick Moore

Dec 20, 2022, 3:17:49 PM12/20/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Those 2 Orange Rams make me nostalgic for my blue one from some 10 years ago; yes a very nice bike for aimless afternoon rides and with just enough room for 32s and fenders. I rode mine with 1.35" Kojaks; it would have been transformed with extralight RH tires. Actually, it was transformed with Paris Roubaix open tubulars. Please (both of you) show more photos and describe the feel of the bike after you ride it more.

Also, I'll be interested to hear more of others' opinions on the Ram (and Roadeo, Roadini, RoadUno, Quickbeam, Simpleone, Road Standard, and Longlow) versus Legolas.

Michael Ullmer

Feb 14, 2024, 12:43:57 PMFeb 14
to RBW Owners Bunch
Long overdue update to this post. The Ram has taken on a new configuration as of a couple weeks back, thanks in part to a counter-bored WI inner ring from one our very own Bill Lindsay.

I switched the wheels on here from 700c to 650b with the help of Tektro Long-Reach brakes. After a brief experiment with 48mm Switchback Hill tires which DID fit (sans fenders), I've settled on 42mm Pumpkin Ridge tires with SKS Fenders. Thanks to the counter-bored inner WI ring, I was able to use a narrow 108mm WI Stainless Steel Bottom Bracket. It currently has 48mm Noodles, though I may go to Albastache in the near future. Gearing is SRAM 10speed with bar end shifters. As always, I'm continually impressed with the versatility of this bike. With my former camper/basket 26" Fitz up for sale, I'm planning on fitting this out with a rear saddlebag and front basket to see how it handles commuting duty. Long-term, if I can acquire a Riv more suited to the job, this will go back to a rackless adventure bike.

eddietheflay

Feb 14, 2024, 12:57:47 PMFeb 14
to RBW Owners Bunch
Opinion. Maybe after the Atlantis, I think the orange Rambouillet is the most iconic Riv of all time.