Plus Rims for GBW

Deacon Patrick

Mar 30, 2019, 7:37:34 PM3/30/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I thought a thread for folks to post plus size rims that work with rim brakes would be helpful for prospective Gus Boots Willsen riders.

Velocity’s Cliffhanger:
Interior width of 25mm

Will mentioned Alex Rims has an option, but their site isn’t playing nicely with my iPad, so I can’t see any specifics:

George Rosselle asked about these in a previous Boots thread:
Halo Wheels SAS:
Interior width of 30mm?

More specifics and other options others have found?

Ed Fausto

Mar 30, 2019, 8:14:39 PM3/30/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Nice thread Deacon :-)
I will be following this discussion.....

tc

Mar 30, 2019, 9:52:37 PM3/30/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Has anyone called Velocity to get their recommendation?

Tom

Deacon Patrick

Mar 30, 2019, 10:24:01 PM3/30/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Velocity’s recommendation is on their website. 45-65mm, so 71mm (2.8”) exceeds that by 12%. I find this about as helpful as tire inflation recommendations on the sidewall (which is to say, not very). Grin. I’ve ridden greater difference without detriment other than a slighly compressed tire. Riv recommends it. I’m good with that.

With abandon,
Patrick

Ed Carolipio

Mar 31, 2019, 3:19:24 PM3/31/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Best reference I could find on "safe" rim/tire combos was DT Swiss, and a 25mm inner width rim is right at the border for a 2.8" tire. Sadly, DT Swiss doesn't offer too many 650b non-disc rims.

--Ed C.
Message has been deleted

Ed Fausto

Feb 3, 2020, 10:08:53 PM2/3/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I have been patiently waiting for new rims for my Susie ever since I read the news that Rivendell is working with Velocity for a new rim for their Hillibikes.

I sent Velocity an email to check if they are still doing this project with Rivendell and this is the reply I got.

-------------------------------------
Hello!

Thanks for taking the time to contact us via our webform. We are working on a rim with Rivendell for their new hilly bike, but the details and timeline are yet to be figured out. Unfortunately I don’t have more details for you.

Thanks for riding with Velocity USA! Please let me know if I can help in any other way.
-------------------------------------

Ed Carolipio

Feb 4, 2020, 1:27:06 AM2/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks for update.

Coincidentally I was window shopping tires today at Maxxis for my proto-Gus. SoCal riders really like the DHF + DHR combo for our "loose over hard" trails. The Maxxis 2020 catalog has some recommendations on tire width vs rim width. Here's the link to catalog, see p.6. Short version: 25 to 30mm for 2.2"-2.4"; 35-40mm for 2.6"; 40-45mm for 2.8"-3.0". For reference, the Cliffhangers have a 25mm internal width. In addition, the Maxxis "Wide Trail" (WT) casing is for tires 2.4" and up and optimized for wider rims: min inner width of 35mm but "can work over 30-35mm".

Would be really nice to run a high volume, aggressive tire on the Gus/Susie when running it as a dedicated trail bike.

--Ed  C.

Ed Fausto

Feb 4, 2020, 1:36:52 AM2/4/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ed,
Thanks for the link.
I am hoping that Velocity will build the widest practical rim for Grant's planned V-brakes.
Same here, I want to have my Susie as a dedicated trail bike :-)

By the way, could you send a picture and specs of your proto Gus?  :-)
Ed F.

masmojo

Feb 4, 2020, 5:48:40 AM2/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
There are plenty of 19mm width rims and though not ideal they would probably work. The Cliff hanger is the most ideal rim available at this time that I am aware of.
The Alex website is wonky it's not your iPad. I have some 26" Alex rims on a bike that were they available in a 27.5" rim brake interation would be ideal, but they don't even appear to produce them in 26" any longer (sadly because I would love another set) Alex like most other rim manufacturers have migrated almost exclusively to disc brake wheels.

Deacon Patrick

Feb 4, 2020, 7:16:50 AM2/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Having ridden my Gus with Cliffhanger rims and Schwalbe 2.8" Nobby Nic tires in all conditions, I find them to be an excellent combination and have no issues whatsoever with rim width. I would caution anyone that Maxxis' rubber compound is not grippy on wet rocks and roots while the Nics grip beautifully and are a more supple, smooth ride. See here for my initial review, which has remained true. https://deaconpatrick.org/i-get-a-grip-while-the-aspen-bloom . My riding includes technical trails, asphalt, and dirt roads, bikepacking, day rides, grocery getting, et al.

As Jan has pointed out on his blog recently, rim width ain't what folks think. https://www.renehersecycles.com/myth-18-wide-tires-need-wide-rims/

With abandon,
Patrick

masmojo

Feb 4, 2020, 7:50:59 AM2/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yes, rim width isn't as big a deal as one might think, but there is a cut off. It's going to depend somewhat on just how wide a tire you are trying to fit.
I don't know if I'd want to fit a 3" wide tire on a 19mm rim. Running on a narrow rim with a wide tire will have a possibly adverse effect on the shape and width of the tire. Most likely would complicate mounting tires as well.

Garth

Feb 4, 2020, 9:26:49 AM2/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch

The reason I was told from a Riv employee the potential new rim is essentially about Velocity making a tubeless capable rim that was easier to mount/dismount tires than the Cliffhanger, namely the shape of the inside rim. There was no mention about that width(i25mm) being an issue.

It's a bummer the rim won't be for sale before the frames are delivered, I'm leaning towards the 700c Alex DM24 for the moment.  https://alexrims.com/product-category/bmx/

With Firefox desktop to view Alex's website well make sure the "content blocking" is off.

Deacon Patrick

Feb 5, 2020, 4:50:17 PM2/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Huh. That went far easier than I'd imagined. Didn't even need Bill's #8 shimmy to the left maneuver. Grin. Eveidently I was far from getting it into the blood groove, and that is all that was required. Thanks, all!

Set-up: Cliffhanger rims and Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.1" liteskin tires.

With abandon,
Patrick