Does anyone have any knobby tire suggestions for a 52 Clem H?

Matthew Naftis

Jul 4, 2019, 3:01:09 PM7/4/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm travelling to Colorado in a couple of weeks, and think I may need something more than the stock Kendas that have, so far, been perfectly suitable for paved and gravel bike paths of Dallas.

But maybe I'm wrong?  Although I've ridden bikes my whole life, putting much thought into what and how I'm riding is a fairly new thing for me.

Thank you.

Deacon Patrick

Jul 4, 2019, 4:05:47 PM7/4/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Matthew, it all depends on what you're riding here. I'd recommend learning on "easy" singletrack if you're hitting trails. There is a big difference between singletrack on the front range and foothills vs into the mountains. Where are you going and what type of riding will you be doing? I live on Pike Peak, so am familiar with stuff around here.

Schwalbe Racing Ralph and Nobby Nic (I ride both year round here and love them, mine are with tubes, as light as I can get) are great all-round tires for whatever CO tosses your way. Rocks, roots, wet, loose, steep up, steep down, with obstacles and turns, without, you'll have a blast learning!

With abandon,
Patrick

Deacon Patrick

Jul 4, 2019, 4:08:16 PM7/4/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Your Kendas will be find for most easy trails, but as soon as you get into much up/down rock/root and wet, they slip rather than grip well. Knobbies matter, but moreso a grippy rubber matters, and Schwalbe or Rene Herse have that nailed over others (including Maxxis).

With abandon,
Patrick

John McBurney

Jul 4, 2019, 4:11:11 PM7/4/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I don’t know if they are available since he recently passed, but what about Bruce Gordon Rock ‘n Roads?

John

Brett Callahan

Jul 4, 2019, 4:11:16 PM7/4/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I absolutely love Schwalbe Thunderburts if your bike will fit them. Soma's cazaderos also give nice traction with minimal drag. I leave the caz on my Atlantis year round.

esoterica etc

Jul 4, 2019, 4:34:33 PM7/4/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

You didn’t mention what bike/wheel size you’re using, and more than likely you’re looking for something wider, but I second the Soma Cazaderos (650b x 42mmm) on my Atlantis as well. For a mixed terrain tire, it has a surprising amount of bite off-road and on singletrack, and rolls really smooth and relatively quiet on the road. I’ve only had them for a few months, but they’ll definitely be my year-round tires on the Atlantis.

~Mark
Raleigh, NC

> On Jul 4, 2019, at 16:11, Brett Callahan <brettjc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I absolutely love Schwalbe Thunderburts if your bike will fit them. Soma's cazaderos also give nice traction with minimal drag. I leave the caz on my Atlantis year round.

LBleriot

Jul 4, 2019, 5:33:38 PM7/4/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Check out Soma Cazaderos. I run them on my Clem from the path to the trail.

Garth

Jul 4, 2019, 5:37:33 PM7/4/19
to RBW Owners Bunch

Frankly, the joy of riding is in not putting any thought into it at all, otherwise you'e just "going through the motions" like a computer, a machine. Lifeless.   Intuition, for lack of a better word, is waaaaay more intelligent, ingenious, capable, confident and fun than you could possibly imagine beforehand :)

Matthew Naftis

Jul 4, 2019, 8:04:17 PM7/4/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks to everyone for the quick and helpful replies. You’ve given me quite a lot of options to consider! And thanks to Garth for reminding me to trust my instincts.

Deacon Patrick, our family will mostly be riding the easiest trails we can find around Breckinridge, although I may try to find some (slightly) more challenging terrain with my oldest two children.

Esoterica, I’m riding a 52 Clem H with the stock tubed 27.5 wheels it came with.

tc

Jul 5, 2019, 3:40:32 PM7/5/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Check out the Vittoria Mezcal.  I had some on a 59 Clem and really liked them.  They do come in 27.5 as well as 29.  Grippy offroad, but oddly, nicely, quiet on the road due to center tread pattern.  And they don't break the bank.  See my post about them, which links to a video review.

Tom

Deacon Patrick

Jul 5, 2019, 4:37:39 PM7/5/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Matthew,

From what you've described, I see a few options that make sense, and you could easily get there and play it by ear, getting whatever tires the LBS has if you decide you want more tire. Just don't let them talk you into "needing" the latest tech. 2.1-2.3" tires with tubes are perfect.

1. Breckenridge has a fairly good paved MUP following the valley and highway 24, and then connects with the Vail Pass bike path that follows I-70. Your Kenda's are perfect for this. You'll always be in sight and sound of highways though.
2. Boreas Pass SE of Breckenridge is an old railroad grade road/pass that is wonderful to ride and has trails off it (Trails Illustrated maps are great!). Gentle grade, amazing views and gets you above treeline. Snow should be melted enough by then to be a non-issue up top. Kenda's fine for this. You could even make a day ride out of Breck to Como to Breck, but that's likely a challenge for altitude and distance.
3. There is a good network of trails on the east side, some on the west. Get a map from the LBS as these can change year to year. These are the trails that will need more tire to be fun and make learning to ride them easier. It destroys confidence on the bike when tires skip/slide/swim in the loose, rocks, roots. I was reminded of this when I shifted from Maxxis to Schwalbe and breathed a sigh of relief on wet rocks and roots for the solid connection.
4. If you go nuts, the Colorado Trail goes SE (to Georgia Pass) and NW (Miner's Creek) out of Breckenridge. Excellent riding, some of it humbling. Grin.

Loads of options. You'll have a fantastic time, and you're timed perfectly for amazing wildflowers! Enjoy, with abandon! Grin.

With abandon,
Patrick

Deacon Patrick

Jul 5, 2019, 5:15:03 PM7/5/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Looking at Trails Illustrated maps, Breckenridge falls as a confluence of three maps (108, 109, 104), so there may well be a better local map solution if you don't want to buy $40 of maps. Grin. The advantage of TI's maps is they give enough detail to actually navigate by them, vs. most maps that are too far out to be much help.

With abandon,
Patrick

Matthew Naftis

Jul 8, 2019, 12:05:28 PM7/8/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Deacon Patrick,

Please don't take my delayed response to your last set of replies as a sign of lack of appreciation.  We were out of town visiting family over the long weekend and I didn't have the technological means to reply.  That being said, thank you very much for your insight!  You saved me hours of research and gave me something perfectly tailored to our capabilities.  I am literally counting down the days (29 days from today) until I can explore these trails with my family (and maybe for a few hours without them).

Thank you,
Matt

Adam Leibow

Jul 8, 2019, 12:29:24 PM7/8/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
i have a set of WTB beeline 2.2 and WTB nano 2.1 (both 27.5/650b & wire bead version) for sale if either of those treads looks like it could be good.

Deacon Patrick

Jul 8, 2019, 3:28:44 PM7/8/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Och, nae apology needed, Matthew. Enjoy the ride getting to the rides! Grin.

With abandon,
Patrick

Matthew Naftis

Sep 10, 2019, 10:35:42 AM9/10/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Deacon Patrick,

I want to thank you again for the trail suggestions.  Our family had a wonderful time on the MUP riding from Breckenridge to Frisco and Lake Dillon and I scouted the Boreas Pass road for a family ride on our next trip to Colorado, which we've already planned for next summer.

Thank you,
Matt

masmojo

Sep 11, 2019, 10:51:00 AM9/11/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Well, I guess I'm late to the party, but I have a 52 Clementine so I'll throw this out there anywayz, for future reference.
I've used a couple "knobby" tires on my Clementine. At first I tried some Kendas (2.3ish Slant six I think?), but while great offroad, they made the Clementine feel sluggish around town (a little heavy).
Currently I run a 2.1 Kenda Knobby up front & a Schwalbe similar to the stock Kenda on the back. I really like this combination. Kenda's are good & cheap.
A little more expensive, but a really good choice is the Continental Race Kings (or Mountain Kings). I have these on my Ogre and they are great! Wide, not too heavy and they roll really good on pavement. When the current tires go, that's probably the direction I'll go.

Deacon Patrick

Sep 11, 2019, 8:55:27 PM9/11/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Delighted your trip went well, Matt!

With abandon,
Patrick

Matthew Naftis

Sep 12, 2019, 6:20:51 PM9/12/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks, Masmojo!

John McBurney

Sep 12, 2019, 6:43:50 PM9/12/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
What about the compass knobby tires?

If you are worried about sidewall cuts get the endurance or endurance plus casing.

John

Coconutbill

Sep 13, 2019, 7:39:37 AM9/13/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Ultradynamico.

Mark Roland

Mark Roland

Sep 13, 2019, 7:23:59 PM9/13/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Also, on a 52 Clem you would be looking at the 650B offerings. The Hurricane equivalent width would be Pumpkin Ridge, but if you want RH knobby rubber on a Clem 52 I would go with Juniper:

Just be aware the knobs will wear rather quickly if you do much riding on pavement with them, as the compound is fairly soft. Makes for a great handling tire, but the rear  center knobs will wear quickly on hard surfaces.

[...]

Mark Roland

Sep 13, 2019, 7:30:41 PM9/13/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yes, but make sure you get the Race version for your Clem!

On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 7:39:37 AM UTC-4, Coconutbill wrote:
Ultradynamico.