Test Ride Opportunities in the Midwest (Madison, WI)

Camden Powell

Jul 3, 2023, 3:42:42 PM7/3/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hey folks,

I've been fascinated by Rivendell's designs for a while and as of recently have been very tempted to order myself a frame. Thing is, I still have never ridden one, and it seems like quite a big move (for me, at least) to place an order without riding around a bit first. Is there anywhere to go in Southern WI to test a bike out? Dealer shops in Chicago or the Twin Cities that have demo bikes? I've been mainly looking at the Clem Smith Jr.

Has anyone else gotten an opportunity to test a certain model prior to buying, or is a leap of faith the usual procedure? Would love to hear of others' experiences.

-Camden

Richard Rose

Jul 3, 2023, 4:27:01 PM7/3/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
For me it has been a leap of faith. Although, I was at least able to ride my Clem for about 3 minutes on a very cold January morning. That was all I needed. And after spending a full year with it I had few doubts regarding my Gus purchase. Perhaps you can find someone here that is close enough that you can get a test ride in. I know I would be able to accommodate that but I am in Toledo, Ohio.

Sent from my iPhone

Danny

Jul 3, 2023, 6:25:37 PM7/3/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hey Camden,

I'm local to Madison. What size frame are you looking to ride?

-Danny

Camden Powell

Jul 3, 2023, 7:56:21 PM7/3/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'd be interested in buying either a 52 or maybe a 59, but I figure these bikes are so unique that any test ride would do me good, even if it's not my size.

Bicycle Belle Ding Ding!

Jul 4, 2023, 8:24:01 AM7/4/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Camden,

There is a Riv dealer in Chicagoland called Mack’s Bikes and Goods. They have (what appears to be from Instagram) a beautiful and quality shop. They do a lot of business selling Rivs and since they are only 2.5 hours from me, I plan to get there one day. Anyway, I’m guessing you could test ride something there. If not a demo bike, the owners have several Rivs that I’d bet they would be willing to let you test ride. I live in Southwest Michigan and have a 52 Clem as well as 2 55 Platypuses. You are welcome to try any of my bikes.

That said, I have never been able to test ride my Rivs before I bought them and I haven’t ever been disappointed. As long as you get the right size (and that’s pretty easy on a Clem, which has no stand over nonsense) I think you’ll be delighted. All the parts can be swapped or customized and will allow you to curate a perfect Clem for your needs and your liking.

Leah
Richland, Michigan

Danny

Jul 4, 2023, 12:27:48 PM7/4/23