10/23 BLAGH regarding the Roaduno

Bill Lindsay

Oct 5, 2023, 6:58:06 PM10/5/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
The latest BLAGH and Riv Instagram show the rear end of the Roaduno:

Seems like it's official that the rear ends will not have the gangster lean of the Quickbeam, Simple One, Frank Jones Señor.  To me, that narrows the drivetrain concepts to three:

1. True single speed.  One ring, one cog, one God.
2. Single chain length.  aka a DOS ENO kind of setup
3. a 2x1 or 3x1 FD bike with a tensioner

I'm pretty heavily invested in all three of these drivetrain concepts, and endorse them all, but I'm a weirdo who likes to search for things about which to be happy, rather than things about which to gripe.  Anyway, Winter 2023 is coming, so the Roaduno should be around soonish.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

Patrick Moore

Oct 6, 2023, 2:21:13 PM10/6/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I laughed; you've got a good memory.

This was one slogan/design my brother put on T shirts (and sold online and in at least 1 ABQ LBS) 20+ years ago as part of his now defunct and always very part time "Two Wheel Fetish" bike business. The design had the "O's" in the form of an old Campy track ring. I recall my mother asking, puzzled: "Ne cog, ne ring, ne God: what does that mean?"

Rick Reisemberg declined to carry the T-shirt because he thought it was proselytizing, but it was only being flippant.

I wish I still had one or two.

On Thu, Oct 5, 2023 at 4:58 PM Bill Lindsay <tape...@gmail.com> wrote:
... One ring, one cog, one God.

Paul Richardson

Oct 6, 2023, 7:26:50 PM10/6/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
hi bill

perhaps a dumb question BUT i wonder if you'd mind shedding light on how this dropout vs. quickbeam (/s.o./f.j.sr.) dropout changes the setup options.  i'm not clear on the effect of the horizontal dropout as opposed to the slanted one.

i too find many reasons to be very excited about the pending roaduno DROP.

thanks!
paul
takoma park, md.

Eric Daume

Oct 6, 2023, 8:55:52 PM10/6/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Angled dropouts allow the rear rim to track the brake pad as you move the wheel back and forth in the dropouts. The upshot of this is that if you are performing manual gear changes (for instance, a 42t ring up front, and a 16/18 White Industries dos cog in the rear), you can change gears (by moving the wheel in the dropout) and the brakes will still hit the rim.

If the slot is horizontal, the brake pads will lose contact with the rim as you move the wheel. It's an all around worse system.

The best system for this kind of nerdiness is a forward facing slanted dropout (for example, the recently departed Surly Cross Check). That still allows manual gear change tomfoolery, but it makes wheel removal, especially with fenders, much easier.

Eric

Eric Norris

Oct 7, 2023, 12:34:09 AM10/7/23
to Eric Norris
As a longtime Quickbeam owner, I’ll add my observation that the brake pad alignment trick with angled dropouts only works with very short brake pads. The longer pads that many of us have on our bikes will tend to extend over the rim and hit the tire when the wheel is moved forward if you’re changing more than a couple of teeth on the rear cog. The pad moves rearward in relation to the wheel, and eventually moves off the rim.

Making the big jumps possible with dual chainrings tended to bring up the pad/tire overlap.

I converted my QB to a three-speed after riding it fixed for a few years. Now, the rear wheel stays in the same position all the time, and I can use modern, long pads without any problems.

--Eric Norris
campyo...@me.com
Insta: @CampyOnlyGuy
YouTube: YouTube.com/CampyOnlyGuy

Bill Lindsay

Oct 7, 2023, 12:09:38 PM10/7/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Three speed IGH Quickbeam!  Cool.  Do you wish your QB had different rear dropouts now?  If you could wave a magic wand at them, would you leave them the way they are?

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

Paul Richardson

Oct 7, 2023, 4:22:39 PM10/7/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
thanks erics for the responses.  having never used one, i didn't consider that switching cogs on a DOS would affect the brakepads, but that does make a lotta sense.

hoping to see lots of different builds on the UNO.

paul
takoma park, md.