Show Me Your Atlantis!

Hugh Smitham

Oct 9, 2021, 1:40:49 PM10/9/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Rivy Peps,

There's a lotta love for many of the Riv models out there and rightly so but I think the flagship model born from the original all-rounder needs some attention. So in that spirit let's see you Atlantis. Extra points for close-up pictures of your cockpit and other details like wheels, but we of course want to see a nice portrait too!

Let's have some fun!

Hugh Smiitham
Los Angeles, CA

nus...@gmail.com

Oct 9, 2021, 2:07:38 PM10/9/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Here's my early-run Toyo Atlantis on some recent rides. It is, IMO, the Platonic form of bike,

Drw

Oct 9, 2021, 5:04:47 PM10/9/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Here's my 650b waterford in hunq green with a fitz disc fork. photo is from a mid pandemic rebuild and not everything was dialed in at this point. IMG_6226.jpgIMG_6227.jpg

Hugh Smitham

Oct 9, 2021, 9:41:56 PM10/9/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Nus,

Whom ever you are that's a great Atlantis build and custom color. From here it looks like a powder blue?
Is it a powder coat? What bars and shift mech are you using.

Hugh

Hugh Smitham

Oct 9, 2021, 9:51:27 PM10/9/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Drw,

I love it! I like the custom Fitz disc fork, looks like he couldn't quite match the color, nonetheless I dig the customization.
What a great start to this thread. I'd love to read about both of your stories. For instance, how are you came by the framework? What vintage it is? What made you to do the customization? And why you love your Atlantis? It would also be great to know people's names, where they live and the type of terrain you like riding?

Thanks for the submission.

Hugh

lucky...@gmail.com

Oct 9, 2021, 10:59:31 PM10/9/21
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Here’s mine, bought in 2003-4. It’s been through many cockpits, racks, baskets etc.
A keeper.

On Oct 9, 2021, at 10:40, Hugh Smitham <hughs...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Rivy Peps,

Drw

Oct 10, 2021, 1:57:02 AM10/10/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hey Hugh,
I bonked the original fork doing something stupid.  It needs to be bent back at the steerer tube a bit, but somehow i convinced myself that i should get a disc fork replacement also/instead. The color not matching isn't fitz's fault. It's a powdercoat color that I chose (wet paint cost almost as much as the fork itself.)
The Atlantis is MY only bike. I have another bike with a crust cargo fork and a child seat on the back that gets ridden more, for errands, bike paths, parks etc. but rarely gets above 10mph. Though i dont get to trails or fire roads that often, i like having the atlantis ready to go for that or an overnighter. Also after riding the kid bike around, even the atlantis feels super fast on roads.

-Drew

Drw

Oct 10, 2021, 2:00:19 AM10/10/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Oh also, we've met a couple of times. I used to live in Atwater village, and i think i ran into you at golden saddle once or twice.

Steve Cole

Oct 10, 2021, 7:42:46 AM10/10/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Here's my 2020 MIT Atlantis. Build was planned with the help and the work was done by James at Analog Cycles.  Some details include: Rene Herse Antelope Hill tires (55 mm) on Velocity Quill rims, Middleburn cranks (U.K.) on SKF bottom bracket, Shimano Deore XT drive train, SON Widebody front hub, Bitex rear hub, Paul Motolite brakes.
IMG_7442.jpeg

frankie garcia

Bill Fulford

Oct 10, 2021, 2:05:21 PM10/10/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I bought my Atlantis in 2007. It’s a Toyo built. Originally it was set up for touring. 700 by 35 tires, fenders etc. Since then it’s gone through several changes. I’m on the second set of wheels, now Atlas, and the second crank. It’s pretty much a basic build. I’ve always kept the nitto drops. They are comfortable although not good when I take the Atlantis off road.
This winter I’m planning on a partial rebuild. I don’t know exactly what my plans are but a change in handlebars, shifters, brakes are probable. It’s fun thinking about the changes. I’ve decided not to have it repainted, those scars have been well earned.
6764CC65-A04A-4E6A-B3E4-3D0E246E0377.jpeg
DF79BC33-94C7-4A13-9BE5-8E25D2E04901.jpeg
F6BDF3DD-D533-4A83-9821-91165CCF3998.jpeg

Bill Fulford

Oct 10, 2021, 2:10:12 PM10/10/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Another shot.
730DD5EC-C7BE-459D-9BB2-4943E98B2877.jpeg

Benz Ouyang, Sunnyvale, CA

Oct 10, 2021, 4:32:04 PM10/10/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'll play.

I present my 53cm Toyo Atlantis that has been through more versions than I care to remember; at one time, it even had Campagnolo Ergopower levers on mustache handlebars. It's currently outfitted for commuter/all-purpose duty. That's why there's a heavy Abus Bordo Granit X-plus permanently fixtured and Pitlock skewers (plus other security implementations).

All images are embiggenable – right click > Open image in new window.

Some standard profiles to start…
Atlantis Left.jpg
Atlantis Right.jpg

Here's the cockpit. I'm running a wide (48cm?) Nitto M151 handlebar with TRP RRL levers. I've standardized on Spurcycle bells and (unfortunately discontinued) Cateye Adventure cyclo-computers. Yes, cotton tape with cork on one end and twine on the other, plus shellack to make it Riv-approved…
Atlantis Cockpit.jpg

Here's the drivetrain. It's 1st gen Shimano XTR with Dura Ace SL-7700 downtube shifters, with a 9-speed "Sheldon's Century Special" 13-30 cassette. Wheels are Velocity Synergy rims (OC rear), laced to a Schmidt dynamo front and a White Industries rear (because they're visually matching). Here's an solicited plug for Rene Herse Naches Pass tires. Although expensive, they are quite transformative, and are pretty much what I've been using on the Atlantis exclusively since the tires came out years ago.
Atlantis Drivetrain.jpg

The sharp-eyed probably noticed the Bridgestone style "Partypace" sticker on the toptube, but there's also a limited edition "Old Man Petersen downtube sticker some Riv fan made years ago...
Atlantis Old Man Petersen.jpg

I also have a big safety triangle and plenty of red reflective tape all over the rear...
Atlantis Rear Right.jpg

Some may have spotted the PDW Radbot 1000 on the right, but do you know what's hiding on the left? Yes, it's a second dynamo-powered Magnic rear light. Despite the Schmidt dynamo hub up front, I went to the trouble of doing this to avoid running an unsightly wire to the rear. The Magnic light works well for a "be seen" light and I recommend it for this purpose. I'm a lot less convinced of the Magnic front light's efficacy as a "to see" light.
Atlantis Double Dynamo.jpg

Finally, what's a bike pictorial without some action shots. Here are a couple. A pano from the peak of Black Mountain, and another on the trail that I used to descend from the peak. Both are from today's morning ride.
Atlantis Pano on Black Mtn.jpg
Atlantis Mixed Terrain.jpg

nus...@gmail.com

Oct 10, 2021, 5:53:04 PM10/10/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hey Hugh,

It's grey, not blue. I'm the third owner, but I think the grey was the original color for this frameset. My sense is in the early runs of atlantises, there was some color variations? Bars are albatross, and shifting is Microsoft nine speed thumbie.

Such a good bike!

Andrew in Denver.

dougP

Oct 10, 2021, 6:29:57 PM10/10/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Here goes:

dougP

Atlantis likes the bridge too.JPG

dougP

Oct 10, 2021, 6:31:45 PM10/10/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Lots of pics but it only allows me to post one at a time.  Sorry.

dougP

On Sunday, October 10, 2021 at 3:29:57 PM UTC-7 dougP wrote:
Here goes:

dougP

the Trans Canada Hwy, BC.JPG

Hugh Smitham

Oct 11, 2021, 12:04:03 AM10/11/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Lucky,

Your an original OG rocking that '03. Thanks for showing us your beauty.

Hugh

Hugh Smitham

Oct 11, 2021, 12:30:24 AM10/11/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Drew,

Hey buddy of course I know you. You live in Atwater and I sold you a set of tires a long while ago. IIRC you teach art which I enjoy seeing when you post to your IG account and you have a getaway property in the Southern Sierra.

I like the story on the fork or at least the part of cost and the decision to powder coat rather than wet paint. Often the cost to do something so small like wet paint a fork is absurdly high and makes no sense, at least to me. I just did CicLAvia today and am always surprised in a largely car centric city just how many bikes people have, I think it's great that you have a cargo rig to get stuff done locally rather than hop in a car, but your area kind of lends itself to that mode of travel with narrow streets and probably minimal parking spots.

Yeah I bet the Atlantis feels sprightly after lugging around a child and grocery's. Thanks for sharing Drew.

Best Regards,

Hugh

Hugh Smitham

Oct 11, 2021, 12:47:22 AM10/11/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Steve,

Love this build!! I have appreciated Jame's details on some other builds he's done. What's the contraption that is mounted between the top tube and stem?
Great choice on tires really fills out the Atlantis and the fenders look amazing! Who makes the fenders?

I have like you landed on the Quill Rims for my next build. Not a ton of wide (rim brake) rims these days that strike a balance between
light weight and strength. I don't know much about the Middleburn Cranks? Maybe give us a drive side shot to see the bulk of the crank? The non-drive crank arm has some nice fluting. What's the deal with the SKF BB is it superior to the Shimano or Tange bottom brackets?

Your using Shimano Trigger shifters with the Paul Love levers, how do you like the shifters? Looks like your rocking the Jones bars using a threadless stem and the nitto threaded to threadless adapter. How's the stability and the bar comfort? Do the Bitex hubs roll fast? I love the Paul Motolite brakes in fact I plan on using them again for this new build.

Anyway, thanks for showing us your beauty.

Best Regards,

Hugh

Hugh Smitham

Oct 11, 2021, 12:54:36 AM10/11/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Frankie,

I love all the iterations but I particularly like the first two. On the first I love the green tires that match, not a fan of the  Albastache tried it and moved on. My current favorite is the Choco bar. Looks like the BullMoose bars in I assume the most recent, they look really comfortable. Is that and Aspin saddle in #2 and #3?

Thanks for sharing your versatile all rounder Atlantis with us.

Best Regards,

Hugh

Hugh Smitham

Oct 11, 2021, 1:29:12 AM10/11/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Bill,

Nothing wrong with a original build, testament to a build that has served you well or your stubborn /s

I look forward to see what kind of changes you make? Please repost on this thread so we can see what you landed on? I can't disagree with you I get a ton of joy thinking about a build
bits and pieces.

I know Grant IIRC coined the term Beausage and he's got something there. A well used bike but mechanically maintained equates to bike love for me. Although, a new fresh bike is pretty sweet.

I remember hearing this Japanese term on this list serve or maybe one of Grant's posts Wabi Sabi.

From WikiPedia: In traditional Japanese aestheticswabi-sabi () is a world view centered on the acceptance of transience and imperfection.[2] The aesthetic is sometimes described as one of appreciating beauty that is "imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete" in nature.[3] It is a concept derived from the Buddhist teaching of the three marks of existence (三法印, sanbōin), specifically impermanence (無常, mujō), suffering (苦, ku) and emptiness or absence of self-nature (空, ).

Characteristics of wabi-sabi aesthetics and principles include asymmetry, roughness, simplicity, economy, austerity, modesty, intimacy, and the appreciation of both natural objects and the forces of nature.

I like this very much.

Best Regards,

Hugh

Hugh Smitham

Oct 11, 2021, 1:42:01 AM10/11/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Benz,

I guess that's you name? What a well thought out build. I absolutely love that 1st gen XTR drive. Pretty sweet older hubs the polished silver looks so good. I like the be seen friction (I presume) dyno rear light. I don't like dyno wiring running to the rear just ugly and a pain. I had a campee front rack like that but it doesn't play well with v-brakes so it was a no go.

I like all the shots but a Atlantis in the wild is special.

I think you played pretty well Sir.

Best Regards,

Hugh

Hugh Smitham

Oct 11, 2021, 1:47:49 AM10/11/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Andrew,

Good to meet you. Ah grey. I wasn't aware that the early one's came in any other color that the russian sub green?? I didn't know Microsoft was doing bike shifting these days ;)

Honestly, I love the Atlantis color but these repainted and in your case possibly early color runs are always welcome sights.

Just my humble opinion but I think it's the very best Rivendell. The other's are great but the original seed for this bike was an All-Rounder and I think it's design has been proven time and time again.

Best Regards,

Hugh

Hugh Smitham

Oct 11, 2021, 1:52:50 AM10/11/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hey I know this guy!!

Doug do you remember doing that ride in the San Gabriel's (Mendehall Divide Jeep Trail) and I was on my 2012 A. Homer Hilsen and I keep saying I should have bought an Atlantis. Well now I'll have two!!

Thanks for showing us your faithful conveyor of so many years. I can't recall but didn't you have some total mileage figured out and it was pretty significant.

Best Regards,

Hugh

Message has been deleted

Steve Cole

Oct 11, 2021, 10:08:10 AM10/11/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hugh,

I appreciate this thread very much and your follow up questions.  I've attached photos in partial response.  To start:

1.  The contraption mounted between the top tube and the stem is a Steer Stopper.  It's an excellent way to hold the front wheel stable.  I use it in two applications.  First, I store my bikes from ceiling hooks.  It's so much easier to hang them when the front wheel is fixed.  Second, I transport my bikes on a roof rack on my car.  Lifting them is also much easier with a fixed wheel.  This is not what I would call inexpensive.

2.  The fenders are Simworks by Honjo.  I think they are 65 mm.

3.  Photos of the cranks are attached.  James recommended them.  They are strong, lighter weight than many and silver, which I insisted upon.

4.  SKF BBs are sold by Rene Herse among others.  They are highly thought of and supposedly will outlast most other sealed BBs. Given the level of build, they seemed to be worth the expense to me.

5.  Trigger shifters.  I grew up on friction shifters and have never struggled with them. At the same time, for me, I love that these trigger shifters make shifting automatic in the sense that when I shift, the gear is precisely changed.  I now ride only upright and would not go back to friction shifters.

6.  I'm also attaching photos of my cockpit.  The bars Nitto Bullmoose.  They are partially lugged and the stem is built in.  The headset is a Cane Creek 100 EC30 threaded.  Cockpits are very personal.  They play a central role in rider comfort.  For me, the slight sweep (30 degrees) of these bars is perfect.  They also provide a couple of different places for my hands and several places to locate things I attach to the bars.

7.  The Bitex rear hub, which James recommended, roles very smoothly and, important to me, very quietly.  It's Taiwan made and has been problem free.  It's also available in silver.

8.  Paul Motolite brakes were essential given the wheel/tire/fender combination I chose.

Happy to answer any other questions.
Steve
IMG_7842.jpeg
IMG_7843.jpeg
IMG_7844.jpeg
IMG_7845.jpeg
IMG_7846.jpeg

Ben Mihovk

Oct 11, 2021, 4:49:35 PM10/11/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Here's my Atlantis in its second home, my classroom! It's a 2019 MIT frame that I purchased with a very standard build up from Rivendell about a year ago.
  • 59cm
  • Choco bars with an amateurishly wrap and twine job, shellac'd cork grips
  • Microshift thumbies in the flipped Riv style working a Deore M591 in the rear and IRD Sub-C on the front
  • Clipper wide/low 42/26 with 11-32 cassette
  • Wheels are the standard Rivendell Atlas design built by Velocity with 42mm Shikoros
  • SKS P50s

I've added...
  • The cheap (and very light!) rear rack
  • Mark's rack
  • Fun green valve caps
  • Yokozuna salmon brake pads
  • Iris bottle cage
  • X-Small saddle bag up front carries flat fix stuff and trail passes
  • Slimsucker is laptop, books, layers, etc...

What I'm thinking about doing...
  • Changing out the SV19 with the SV17...I'm not a weight weenie, but the bike would drop a half pound just with different tubes
  • I love the Shikoros...no punctures on over a year of commuting on city streets. I might try an endurance casing RH or the Supple Vitesse EX next, though...
  • Toying with converting to drops, but I can't find a shifting solution I like as much as what I have...I don't like the look of bar end shifters, I like the stem

Ben in Omaha
1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

Hugh Smitham

Oct 11, 2021, 6:28:29 PM10/11/21
to RBW Owners Bunch

On Mon, Oct 11, 2021, 7:08 AM Steve Cole <cole...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hugh,

I appreciate this thread very much and your follow up questions.  I've attached photos in partial response.  To start:

Steve, glad you like the thread. The responses have been great and an inspiration. I love who folks really personalize their bikes.

1.  The contraption mounted between the top tube and the stem is a Steer Stopper.  It's an excellent way to hold the front wheel stable.  I use it in two applications.  First, I store my bikes from ceiling hooks.  It's so much easier to hang them when the front wheel is fixed.  Second, I transport my bikes on a roof rack on my car.  Lifting them is also much easier with a fixed wheel.  This is not what I would call inexpensive.

Wheel flop is a huge annoyance, especially with a front load. Perhaps you can let us know what the product name is and where we might purchase one for ourselves?

2.  The fenders are Simworks by Honjo.  I think they are 65 mm.

Gorgeous fenders I love metal fenders. I'll check out Simworks to get a set for mine.

3.  Photos of the cranks are attached.  James recommended them.  They are strong, lighter weight than many and silver, which I insisted upon.

Do you know where James sources these cranks? Although I am partial to the white industries myself.

4.  SKF BBs are sold by Rene Herse among others.  They are highly thought of and supposedly will outlast most other sealed BBs. Given the level of build, they seemed to be worth the expense to me.

Thank you I've heard of SKF bottom brackets but I haven't heard of them a lot.

5.  Trigger shifters.  I grew up on friction shifters and have never struggled with them. At the same time, for me, I love that these trigger shifters make shifting automatic in the sense that when I shift, the gear is precisely changed.  I now ride only upright and would not go back to friction shifters.

When I started mountain biking in the mid-80s I got used to using the early trigger shifters and I really like them a lot, not so much for aesthetics. These days I've become more comfortable with friction, however I've been considering trigger shifters for my next build.

6.  I'm also attaching photos of my cockpit.  The bars Nitto Bullmoose.  They are partially lugged and the stem is built in.  The headset is a Cane Creek 100 EC30 threaded.  Cockpits are very personal.  They play a central role in rider comfort.  For me, the slight sweep (30 degrees) of these bars is perfect.  They also provide a couple of different places for my hands and several places to locate things I attach to the bars.

Totally agree with your thoughts on cockpits. I've been curious about the bullmoose bars, but have been unsure of their fixed nature. Meaning you can't feather the bars downward. I'm really Bosco curious, I plan on trying the Ultraromance idea to bend a set of chromo wider.

7.  The Bitex rear hub, which James recommended, roles very smoothly and, important to me, very quietly.  It's Taiwan made and has been problem free.  It's also available in silver.

Good to know I've know very little about these hubs. I'm getting ready to build a wheel set, I tend to gravitate towards white industry rear hubs but it is noisy. Probably going to go with a shutter precision or Son 28 Dyno hub.

8.  Paul Motolite brakes were essential given the wheel/tire/fender combination I chose.

Is that because the Motolites give you more room?

Happy to answer any other questions.

Thank you,

Hugh in LA

Hugh Smitham

Oct 11, 2021, 6:55:11 PM10/11/21
to RBW Owners Bunch

On Mon, Oct 11, 2021, 1:49 PM Ben Mihovk <bjmi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Here's my Atlantis in its second home, my classroom! It's a 2019 MIT frame that I purchased with a very standard build up from Rivendell about a year ago.

Ben,

Great looking Atlantis.
    • 59cm
    • Choco bars with an amateurishly wrap and twine job, shellac'd cork grips
    • Microshift thumbies in the flipped Riv style working a Deore M591 in the rear and IRD Sub-C on the front
    • Clipper wide/low 42/26 with 11-32 cassette
    • Wheels are the standard Rivendell Atlas design built by Velocity with 42mm Shikoros
    • SKS P50sBen
    I love my Choco bars, I've toyed with wrapping them like you have in the curves but I love the polished aluminum. By the way it doesn't look that amateurish to me, looks great!

    I know nothing about these Shikoro's, I presume they are from Japan?

    What is a clipper wide low? I know it's a crank set but I've never heard of the clipper brand?

    Regarding the Deore M591, is 32 it's max cog? Or can it go to 36?

    I've added...
    • The cheap (and very light!) rear rack
    • Mark's rack
    • Fun green valve caps
    • Yokozuna salmon brake pads
    • Iris bottle cage
    • X-Small saddle bag up front carries flat fix stuff and trail passes
    • Slimsucker is laptop, books, layers, etc...

    What I'm thinking about doing...
    • Changing out the SV19 with the SV17...I'm not a weight weenie, but the bike would drop a half pound just with different tubes
    I went tubeless, never looking back.
    • I love the Shikoros...no punctures on over a year of commuting on city streets. I might try an endurance casing RH or the Supple Vitesse EX next, though...
    I'm personally going with the RH 27.5″ x 2.2″ (650B x 55) Umtanum Ridge TC Tire with endurance casing on my dirt centric Atlantis.
    • Toying with converting to drops, but I can't find a shifting solution I like as much as what I have...I don't like the look of bar end shifters, I like the stem.

    This is an option.

    Ben Thanks for sharing your Atlantis, I really appreciate the build, remember to let us see your changes and what led you to make them and whether they worked to your satisfaction?

    Best Regards,

    Hugh in LA

    Ben in Omaha
    1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg
    On Saturday, October 9, 2021 at 12:40:49 PM UTC-5 Hugh Smitham wrote:
    Hi Rivy Peps,

    There's a lotta love for many of the Riv models out there and rightly so but I think the flagship model born from the original all-rounder needs some attention. So in that spirit let's see you Atlantis. Extra points for close-up pictures of your cockpit and other details like wheels, but we of course want to see a nice portrait too!

    Let's have some fun!

    Hugh Smiitham
    Los Angeles, CA

    dougP

    Oct 11, 2021, 9:16:31 PM10/11/21
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    Hugh:

    Yes, of course I remember the Mendehall ride.  Who could forget David taking us along the Abyss of Death?  As to the mileage question, a while back I did a decently conservative calc on total miles that came to 70,000.  I kinda-sorta keep a log of maintenance, and the consumables such as BBs, chainrings, tires, etc. are the basis for my calc.  I've pretty much always used the same stuff & ride in the same conditions, so stuff wears out in similar lengths of time & mileage.  One thing I've never replaced is the hubs.  Every couple of years I grease the bearings & pump Phil's oil into the freehub.  I have gone thru a few rims, and the shop that I use told me last time that that was it, they wouldn't build another wheelset with those hubs. I bought the bike to go touring & did a lot of longer trips after I retired.  It's been a lot of places.

    I've got to learn something about posting pics.  Others seem to get multiples & I can only get 1 per e-mail.  Here's one of my favorites:

    doug
    Day 2 leaving Ventura.JPG

    Ben Mihovk

    Oct 11, 2021, 9:19:56 PM10/11/21
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    Hugh,
    The Clipper crank is the non-Silver brand that Rivendell sells. It's arms are made in the same factory is Sugino. The Clipper wide/low is a great choice for fairly flat riding where you may need to climb now and then...the 26t granny gear a life saver on some hills around where I live, but I am almost always on the big 42 ring.

    On the Deore's max, it can go to 34.

    The Shikoros are VERY tough while not being stupid heavy. I'm a big PathLessPedaled fan, and Russ has me thinking about tubeless as well...and I would if I was going to ride tires that were not as armored. I'd rather keep tough tires and get the tubes as light as I can. But ya never know!

    Those brake levers with the shifters on them are dope and I signed up to be notified when they get more in stock of the long-pull with shifters. Holy Moses, that's the solution I've been looking for! I realized in my post I trailed off when I was talking about shifters. I like the stem mount Riv has to put downtube shifters on, but I think the front bag I use would not play well with the cable housing.

    I will certainly post changes...they'll be a while out. I'm still only a year on this bike and I don't see making big changes for a while.

    Ben

    dougP

    Oct 11, 2021, 9:27:46 PM10/11/21
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    Couldn't resist slipping the mini-Lantis into the thread.  Wife's 47cm Atlantis.  Bought used & she now has over 10 yeas on it.  Weighs nothing compared to my 58.

    dougP
    IMG_20160527_164347.jpg

    Steve Cole

    Oct 12, 2021, 10:42:19 AM10/12/21
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    Hugh,
    1.  The wheel flop stopper is a Steer Stopper, available at https://steerstopper.com
    2.  The Middleburn cranks, I believe, are sourced by James directly from the manufacturer in the UK.
    3.  Trigger shifters.  I know that there is a preference for friction shifters in the Rivendell community.  Using feel is a seemingly more natural approach to shifting.  For me, the trigger shifters free me to simply enjoy the ride without needing to make any minute adjustments to the gearing.  To each his or her own.
    4.  Bullmoose vs Bosco.  Again, to each his or her own.  At the same time, I think that handlebars are best when the hands/wrists rest in a close to normal position.  Boscos (and Albatrosses, which I have owned) are more of a handshake position.  Bullmoose bars and similarly nearly or completely flat bars for me provide better mechanics and pain-free riding.  Again, the Rivendell community seems to have settled on handshake style bars.  I'm the outlier here.
    5.  Motolite brakes.  Motolites were essential to provide the width needed to handle the 700c x 55 tires.  In addition, when changing flats, which I very rarely do as they I use tubeless tires, the Motolites make this pretty easy without deflating the tire.  By the way, I only inflate the tires to 30/35 lbs. front/rear.  I weigh about 200#. With the length of the chain stays, the low pressure tires, and the geometry, It's like riding in a 1962 Chevy Impala and for me, that's really good.
    Best,
    Steve

    lconley

    Oct 12, 2021, 12:10:17 PM10/12/21
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    I must agree on the handlebars. I have tried Boscos, Boscomooses, and Albatrosses, but didn't like any of them. What I ride are drops, Bullmooses and Wavies.

    Laing

    Hugh Smitham

    Oct 12, 2021, 12:34:21 PM10/12/21
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    On Tue, Oct 12, 2021, 7:42 AM Steve Cole <cole...@gmail.com> wrote:
    Hugh,
    1.  The wheel flop stopper is a Steer Stopper, available at https://steerstopper.com

    Thank you Steve.

    2.  The Middleburn cranks, I believe, are sourced by James directly from the manufacturer in the UK.

    Good to know.

    3.  Trigger shifters.  I know that there is a preference for friction shifters in the Rivendell community.  Using feel is a seemingly more natural approach to shifting.  For me, the trigger shifters free me to simply enjoy the ride without needing to make any minute adjustments to the gearing.  To each his or her own.

    Excellent points on the merits of trigger shifters. I'm definitely not against them.

    4.  Bullmoose vs Bosco.  Again, to each his or her own.  At the same time, I think that handlebars are best when the hands/wrists rest in a close to normal position.  Boscos (and Albatrosses, which I have owned) are more of a handshake position.  Bullmoose bars and similarly nearly or completely flat bars for me provide better mechanics and pain-free riding.  Again, the Rivendell community seems to have settled on handshake style bars.  I'm the outlier here.

    If you're an outlier then you must be a Rivster :) I think you make excellent points,  I've ridden Albatache, Albatross, Drops, Jones and a ton of MTB bars and am currently using Choco's on my road centric Atlantis.

    I've been wary of the Bosco's and other similar bar types for the very reasons you bring up, principally the handshake angle and lack of other hand positions. I'm including a picture attached of the reason I want to try the Bosco. This guy Fabio, Ron whatever name he's currently using says that you can take a Bosco bar and spread them out to achieve a similar bar. I think the one in this picture is a prototype, but I have no idea when it will be available on the Crust site?

    5.  Motolite brakes.  Motolites were essential to provide the width needed to handle the 700c x 55 tires.  In addition, when changing flats, which I very rarely do as they I use tubeless tires, the Motolites make this pretty easy without deflating the tire.

    I love my Motolites, infinite ability to set them up, easy to get your wheel out, like you say no deflation. They have great stopping power and look great. The only issue I have with them is that they interfere with fork crown mounting of a fixed campee rack. I had a 32F campy rack with detachable lowrider pannier mounts I had to return. Obviously a Mark's rack will work.

     By the way, I only inflate the tires to 30/35 lbs. front/rear.  I weigh about 200#. With the length of the chain stays, the low pressure tires, and the geometry, It's like riding in a 1962 Chevy Impala and for me, that's really good.

    My first car was a '62 Impala. Wish I never sold it.

    Thanks for the response,

    Hugh

    Hugh Smitham

    Oct 12, 2021, 12:37:01 PM10/12/21
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    Sorry forgot the attached pictures. The second one is the rack.

    Hugh

    Screenshot_20211012-091248.png
    Screenshot_20211012-093518.png

    Hugh Smitham

    Oct 12, 2021, 12:43:25 PM10/12/21
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    Doug,

    Always nice to see the diminutive frame sets :)

    Hugh

    Hugh Smitham

    Oct 12, 2021, 12:44:45 PM10/12/21
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    Thanks for your input. Personally done with drops.

    Best Regards,

    Hugh

    Gabriel Bruguier

    Oct 12, 2021, 1:10:57 PM10/12/21
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    Hello Hugh and Andrew, I thought I might chime in here because I was one of the previous owners of the grey Atlantis.  The original owner, the Brand Manager of a certain well-known MPLS bike brand named Surly, had it powder coated sometime before 2017.  He retained the two-toned paint scheme with a cream head tube, but went with a darkish grey with a hint of metallic flake in it for the rest of the frame.  It is a great color for the bike, and I'm so happy to see Andrew's build photos of it since it left my stable!!!
    -Gabe

    Hugh Smitham

    Oct 12, 2021, 1:27:03 PM10/12/21
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    Gabriel,

    This is awesome, I love a good provenance story. I haven't had the opportunity to touch base with my Rivendell historian friend about the early Atlantis color schemes. My understanding was that they have always been that Russian sub interior color. But hey, I wasn't absolutely certain because I'm not that much of a Rivendell nerd. Well not yet:)

    Best Regards,

    Hugh

    nus...@gmail.com

    Oct 12, 2021, 2:13:17 PM10/12/21
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    Thanks for the info, Gabe. I knew you'd purchased it from Minneapolis but cool to know it was from a higher-up at Surly. The grey powder coat looks fantastic in the sun. Hope your Steve Potts trail-bike has served as a good replacement!

    nus...@gmail.com

    Oct 12, 2021, 2:14:07 PM10/12/21
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    I believe I've seen a lilac early-run Atlantis which is where I got the idea from. Would love confirmation one way or the other!

    Joe Bernard

    Oct 12, 2021, 3:49:17 PM10/12/21
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    Yes, all Atlantis runs have been in that celeste-ish color, but there was - probably still is - an option to order a custom color on any Riv. Most of them were/are done by Rick Stefani (D&D Painting) in the Bay Area, plus it's possible some Waterford frames were done at Waterford.

    Hugh Smitham

    Oct 12, 2021, 3:53:08 PM10/12/21
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    Joe,

    Thanks for lurking and weighing in cuz I know you know some history there buddy. I mean no disrespect on the lurking,  more of an affectionate jab.

    Best,

    Hugh

    Joe Bernard

    Oct 12, 2021, 4:00:34 PM10/12/21
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    Hugh,

    No worries, I'm always reading, I just don't own an Atlantis and hadn't had anything to say. This is my new thing, only talk when I have something to talk about! 😂

    Rusty Click

    Oct 12, 2021, 5:08:36 PM10/12/21
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    Here is my 2019 62 Waterford Atlantis in its bare travel mode at RAGBRAI 2021, and loaded down for a four day ride on Greenbriar River Trail just last month.
    The original Riv cockpit was replaced with a Jones bar configuration which I just could not get comfortable with and replaced that with the current, Analog suggested Spank Flare bars with new V brake levers and brakes to replace the canti's.  The pedals are now Deity Deftrap because I couldn't afford another penny for the Black Kats!

    I'll try to send one at a time.
    IMG_4256.jpeg

    Rusty Click

    Oct 12, 2021, 5:09:15 PM10/12/21
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    and the other one.

    IMG_4395.jpeg

    Benz Ouyang, Sunnyvale, CA

    Oct 12, 2021, 11:20:05 PM10/12/21
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    On Sunday, October 10, 2021 at 10:42:01 PM UTC-7 Hugh Smitham wrote:

    I guess that's you name? What a well thought out build. I absolutely love that 1st gen XTR drive. Pretty sweet older hubs the polished silver looks so good. I like the be seen friction (I presume) dyno rear light. I don't like dyno wiring running to the rear just ugly and a pain. I had a campee front rack like that but it doesn't play well with v-brakes so it was a no go.

    Hugh, that Magnic rear dynamo light is contactless. You have to run it about as close as your brake pads, so good wheel trueness is needed to make it work.

    Hugh Smitham

    Oct 13, 2021, 2:33:38 AM10/13/21
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    Rusty,

    That's a handsome Atlantis you have there. I need to take a look at  Spank Flare bar. The second picture is great, the river trail sounds fun. Your using your Atlantis for what it was intended a great all-rounder rig.
    Black Kats are a good looking pedal but twice as much as the  Deity Deftrap pedals, I see why you passed.

    Thanks for sharing and many happy miles to you and that steed.

    Best Regards,

    Hugh

    John Rinker

    Oct 13, 2021, 5:23:25 AM10/13/21
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    Hey Hugh,

    Here's my Toyo Atlantis (maybe 2005). New to me last Summer, and a really enjoyable bike to ride. Cheers.
    DSCN3374.jpeg

    Jim S.

    Oct 13, 2021, 12:08:59 PM10/13/21
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    Hi all, I'm really enjoying this thread. Here's my repainted Atlantis getting the obligatory Bixby Creek Bridge photo.
    IMG_20191231_153552.jpg

    Hugh Smitham

    Oct 13, 2021, 12:20:58 PM10/13/21
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    Jim,

    Looks to be a root beer color? Looks great! Love that route. A used Atlantis is a happy Atlantis :)

    Best,

    Hugh

    Hugh Smitham

    Oct 13, 2021, 12:22:13 PM10/13/21
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    Hey John,

    Thanks for showing us your beauty. It is indeed an enjoyable ride.

    Best,

    Hugh

    dougP

    Oct 13, 2021, 7:09:02 PM10/13/21
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    Have a couple of bridges to share.

    dougP

    Bixby Bridge.JPG

    dougP

    Oct 13, 2021, 7:09:55 PM10/13/21
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    Atlantis, NB at Rocky Creek, Hwy 1.JPG

    Hugh Smitham

    Oct 13, 2021, 7:56:10 PM10/13/21
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    That second one is iconic, especially with the fog. Nice capture Doug!

    Hugh

    Drurad (Sacramento)

    Oct 16, 2021, 12:06:51 PM10/16/21
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    2003 TOYO, I believe.  Bought from a list member a few years back.  I think the majority of parts have also been bought over the years from this list.  Possibly all minus the wheels. Fun bike.  Searching for a used nitto campee if anyone has one laying around.  Lots of weird issues came up during the build.  Difficult to get Herse double on such wide chainstays.  I think I ended up with 118mm BB.  Also, broke my left campy shifter, but realized it's actually much better for me to have those kind of shifts done from downtube lever, since they don't happen that often.  I think I'm running the weird 10 Campy shifter on 9 Shimano combo.  Works pretty well for me.  Can't get anymore pics up.  Warning message says my message is too long.

    -Andrew

    IMG_6709.JPG

    Guy LeVan

    Eric Marth

    Oct 16, 2021, 7:25:37 PM10/16/21
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    Jim. S -- I've never seen a Sackville with a zippered pocket across the back like that. Neat iteration!

    Joe Bernard

    Oct 16, 2021, 7:49:40 PM10/16/21
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    Indeed that's the recently departed Large Saddlesack, if memory serves it's actually two separate pockets on either front-side. And I'm just now realizing the current Baggabond doesn't have them.

    Joe Bernard

    Coal Bee Rye Anne

    Oct 18, 2021, 6:59:28 AM10/18/21
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    I do not own an Atlantis but have otherwise been greatly enjoying this thread and all the different builds, so thank you all!
    I do own a 65cm Clem H which had started as a stock complete and has since received various changes/customizations with a few more on the horizon.  Eventually, I hope to better document it's evolution but I've been mostly an inactive observer on the forum as of late.

    Hugh, unless I've overlooked prior discussion on the Nitto rack or a post was deleted... are there any other details you'd be able to provide the the rack you've attached a photo?  It appears to be based off an F32 mini with removable side rails/supports and lowrider rails.  I think I've seen this once before (maybe your original IG post or elsewhere... I did/do follow you in IG but had removed the app from my phone as part of a personal media moratorium so kind of intentionally living under a rock these days.)

    I have an f32 on another bike as a top rack along with a Tubus Tara lowrider and no immediate reason to change, but I'm admittedly intrigued at the idea of a couple F32's mounted to different bikes with ability to move the added rails/supports to either one.  It seems these rails are likely sized for a specific wheel size or fork length but curious to find out more info if available (i.e. model # for the entire set? or whether the bolt on parts are the same as from other racks or may be acquired a la carte? are the triangulated side rails meant to attach at an upper eyelet?)

    I have one F32 on a 650b sized fork but running 700x33 and the theoretical 2nd F32 would go on the much larger Clem H so guessing the fork sizes would rule out swapping for the non-adjustable pieces but guess I'm equally curious what size wheel/fork this exact rack might fit?

    I've previously considered saving for a Pass and Stow but obviously curious about the potential to expand on an F32 as a base/minimalist rack with add-ons, allowing one bike to be more stripped down but still able to carry a bag or something while the other could take heavier loads and front panniers for bigger grocery or errand runs.

    Best,
    Brian Cole
    Lawrence NJ

    Coal Bee Rye Anne

    Oct 18, 2021, 9:17:55 AM10/18/21
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    Apologies for the self reply, but upon further review I now see where you mentioned the rack:
    'I love my Motolites, infinite ability to set them up, easy to get your wheel out, like you say no deflation. They have great stopping power and look great. The only issue I have with them is that they interfere with fork crown mounting of a fixed campee rack. I had a 32F campy rack with detachable lowrider pannier mounts I had to return. Obviously a Mark's rack will work.'

    I still have some of the same questions posed above, and you obviously may not have details or responses since it appears you no longer have the rack at this time.  It's funny, the exact issue you describe with the Motolites interfering with the 32f (and note correction to my above usage of F32 vs 32F!) are the same that had me set the 32f aside since my Clem H has the stock v-brakes and the noodle/cable passed directly in front of the crown bolt hole and in the patch of the center strut of the 32f rack.

    I eventually found an alternate use for the 32f Campee rack on a disc 650b fork project but have some CX70 canti's in reserve for the Clem if/whenever I decide to do some additional parts swapping and would then reconsider another 32f for the Clem at that point, hence my curiosity regarding this model with detachable lowriders.

    I'll likely want the convenience of a basket and therefore the wider platform of something like the Pass & Stow for the Clem, but still considering all options.  I also have an R14 left over from a prior project that I'm more likely to use in the interim for a front basket support on the Clem using the two top of crown bolts and upper dropout mounts.

    reynoldslugs

    Oct 18, 2021, 10:10:28 AM10/18/21
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    Here you go, Hugh - flickr album of my Atlantis:

    https://www.flickr.com/photos/41563482@N06/albums/72157696979339224

    Max Beach
    Santa Rosa CA

    maxcr

    Oct 18, 2021, 10:27:32 AM10/18/21
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    Here's mine - soon to undergo cockpit overhaul... the Albatross and cork grips aren't working for me (hand/wrist pain), so I'm going to try a dropbar, back to Nitto Noodles. (I might put it up for sale in case someone is interested)

    For history, I bought this off the list a couple of years ago, had it electrified with a Copenhagen Wheel for a bit, I worked with James at Analog who installed the cockpit, racks, Edeluxe front light, etc.

    Max

    PS. I recently installed the lugged seatpost looking to get further back but was surprised that it doesn't allow for much adjustment in terms of angle. I still like it though.

    IMG_5373.jpeg

    Ron Frazelle

    Oct 18, 2021, 10:44:35 AM10/18/21
    to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
    Great build and a total 'beaut, Max!

    Ron Frazelle
    Anaheim, Ca.

    Hugh Smitham

    Oct 18, 2021, 12:59:26 PM10/18/21
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    Good looker you have there Max. Thanks for sharing.

    ~Hugh

    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

    Erik

    Oct 18, 2021, 10:05:30 PM10/18/21
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    Photos from this evening's inaugural ride on a new-to-me 56cm 650b Atlantis.  This replaced my 53cm.  The fit is much, much better but the build is pretty much the same as the previous bike.
    Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at 6.54.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at 6.54.00 PM.png

    Hugh Smitham

    Oct 18, 2021, 10:20:56 PM10/18/21
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    That was quick! Looks good Erik. Nice backdrop too

    Hugh

    On Mon, Oct 18, 2021, 7:05 PM Erik <litho...@gmail.com> wrote:
    Photos from this evening's inaugural ride on a new-to-me 56cm 650b Atlantis.  This replaced my 53cm.  The fit is much, much better but the build is pretty much the same as the previous bike.

    Matthew P

    Oct 19, 2021, 1:50:58 PM10/19/21
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    I love the russian submarine green paint of the atlantis and i also love seeing them in other colors.
    That gray one is great. I think the dull bronze pieces match wonderfully.
    Fantastic root beer paint. Maybe my favorite bike color, or brown in general.
    I too saw that lilac one hanging in rafters in a garage/workspace post.

    Here's my 58 cm Toyo. I love it for the curved chainstays. I think I was emailing with Doug P and he pointed that out to me. Doug, I'm finally riding it.
    2 x 11 drivetrain. I could probably do without the 11 speed cassette. I stupidly thought it needed to match the clutch rear derailer, but derailers aren't indexed.
    Favorite part: the clearance. Its why I got the bike. I wish it had more and wheelsize was 650b.
    I also really love the Simworks Stealth seatpost. Traded a friend for it. He is generous.

    I need to fine tune the cables/housing, put on the dyno lights, the put up a post. A bag up front too ...
    So far I like the Bullmoose bars. I think they are very appropriate for the Atlantis.
    I just remounted the 29 x 2.2" Maxxis Ikons on it yesterday and I hope thats it. Tubeless.
    I was riding it with 42 mm Soma Shikoros and it felt zippy. But it didn't feel right to not have wider tires on this bike.
    Maybe a 2"/50cm commuter tire/wheelset for would be nice.

    -Matthew P
    San Diego, CA. Kumeyaay Land.

    IMG_20211013_181057.jpg

    Mike Godwin

    Oct 22, 2021, 2:40:38 PM10/22/21
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    Howdy
    here are a few of mine, a side view riding locally, and two from El Paso Mts, with a flat repair at Sheep Springs. My first foot down from the bike to fix the flat was right next to a rattlesnake. I have a habit of finding them that way.

    Mike SLO CA
    atlantis-61r.jpg
    L1080756r.jpg
    L1080734r.jpg

    Hugh Smitham

    Oct 22, 2021, 5:00:02 PM10/22/21
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    Mike,

    I love these images! Your Atlantis is such a great build. I'd really like to see a .gpx track of your route or any way you can share.

    ~Hugh

    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

    dougP

    Oct 22, 2021, 7:46:43 PM10/22/21
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    Mike:

    Was it a "snakebite puncture"?

    Looks like a couple of other Atlantis' I've seen in SLO.

    DougP

    Mike Godwin

    Oct 24, 2021, 12:46:01 AM10/24/21
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    ar, ar Doug. No, IIRC it was slipping rim tape. I got two flats on the ride, none from rocks.

    Just got back from their, cut trip a day short. The wind was horrendous.

    Mike SLO CA

    Hugh Smitham

    Oct 24, 2021, 1:04:02 AM10/24/21
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    Mike,

    You just got back from El Paso Mtn?

    ~Hugh

    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

    CapNMike

    Oct 24, 2021, 1:04:35 PM10/24/21
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    Mike, I love the photos and your Atlantis build. I have a Waterford Atlantis and hoping to add metal fenders. Can you share the size of your fenders and tires?  I'm currently running 700x55 tires and clearance doesn't allow fenders.

    Cheers,

    Mike

    esoterica etc

    Oct 24, 2021, 1:36:48 PM10/24/21
    to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

    I've been fortunate enough to have owned two Atlantises - a 700c Atlantis during the mid-late 2000's (first pic), and a 650b Atlantis for the last 2 1/2 years (last two pics). They were both truly amazing bikes and I had some wonderful adventures on both of them. Different life circumstances necessitated the sale of each, but I will always have a place in my heart for the Atlantis. Truly an incredible machine in any iteration.

    ~Mark
    Raleigh, NC

    On Oct 24, 2021, at 13:04, CapNMike <mike.l...@gmail.com> wrote:

    Mike, I love the photos and your Atlantis build. I have a Waterford Atlantis and hoping to add metal fenders. Can you share the size of your fenders and tires?  I'm currently running 700x55 tires and clearance doesn't allow fenders.
    To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/4bafad9c-278f-47d7-b5e1-abe1dc506220n%40googlegroups.com.

    CapNMike

    Oct 24, 2021, 2:27:38 PM10/24/21
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    A side shot of my Atlantis in the woods. This bike is perfect for rough roads and trails.
    -Mike

    Atlantis.jpg

    Mike Godwin

    Oct 29, 2021, 1:22:19 AM10/29/21
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    Hi Capt

    The fenders are VO Zeppelin, they measure 56 mm across. Current ones show them at 52 or 63 mm.  Tires, I think they were 700x48 Supple Vittesse, they were too squishy for me for mostly road riding, but man they are comfy. El Paso Mts I was using Continental Speed Ride, marked as 42 but measure 38 on DT 540 rims. I'm currently running Supple Vittesse 700x38 because of sticks wedging between the front tire and fender. Yikes!  For Hugh and others, a couple of kmz files. One is Mesquite Cyn, up the middle of the canyon on EP100 from Garlock Randsburg Rd to the camp site, the second file is camp site to Sheep Springs, an out and back about 9 mi RT. Once you drop down on the north side of Mesquite Cyn you head for EP15, you are in Copper Basin. Head left and you will meander over to Burro Schmidt Tunnel. The road to Sheep Springs skirts the easterly side of Black Mt Wilderness.

    Turn off to Mesquite Cyn is about 11 miles from Hwy 14/Garlock Randsburg Rd intersection. If you pass by the agglomeration of buildings that is Garlock, you have gone too far, though the map shows a road from Garlock to Mesquite Cyn.

    camp to sheep springs.kmz
    Mesquite Cyn to camp.kmz
    El Paso Mts-Mesquite Cyn Sheep Springs.PNG

    Richard Borneman

    Nov 6, 2021, 3:11:51 PM11/6/21
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    IMG_2894.jpg
    Here's mine. Bought new in 2001 from College Park Cycles. Using it for my daily commuter to work. 9 miles each way.
    Richard Borneman
    Don't eat the yellow snow

    Bill Schairer

    Dec 3, 2021, 8:52:59 AM12/3/21
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    IMG_0195.JPG
    My 2013 Waterford Atlantis, more or less as acquired in 2017

    atlantis 2018.jpg
    2018 prepping for GDMBR, Banff to Whitefish

    2018gdmbr.jpg
    on GDMBR 2018

    atlantis 2019.jpg
    On GDMBR 2019, Helena to Whitefish. Ditched "handlebar" bag to save weight.

    IMG_1268.JPG
    Set up for riding around home 2020-21

    P1010185.JPG
    Prepping for Missoula to Denali in 2022 (fingers crossed - COVID variants, borders etc)

    P1010188.JPG
    to look something like this bagged.  Going back to handlebar bag as I think I'll take a real camera on this trip.  Plenty of time yet for changes though.  Electronics wiring needs to be cleaned up now that I know it all works - I think I'll go with co-ax with a Y junction to a sinewave charger which may get me close to energy independence. Rear wheel likely to be replaced with a 40h White Ind hub laced to a Velocity rim (probably overkill but hub hasn't been getting use on the tandem and just spins too nicely to sit unused).  Had to swap back in the Shimano front brake as I couldn't mount the VO decaleur rack on the Paul brake even with Paul's rack mounting replacement bolts. Expecting to weigh in at 75-85 lbs.

    Bill
    San Diego

    Steven Sweedler

    Dec 3, 2021, 12:15:59 PM12/3/21
    to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
    Nice bike with BG racks

    To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/6fe2b3c8-2a5a-44ab-8107-4e59c2cad1b5n%40googlegroups.com.
    --
    Steven Sweedler
    Plymouth, New Hampshire

    Hugh Smitham

    Mar 12, 2022, 9:28:56 PM3/12/22
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    Howdy Atlantis Folks,

    Been a while but I'm finally ready to show my Orange'Lantis off. Finished the build last night and took it for a spin on the LA River MUP today and did a little photo shoot. Beautiful day all and all. Not sure the Map Ahearn bars will stay but here it is in all it's Orangey glory.

    Hugh

    Jon Dukeman

    Mar 12, 2022, 10:39:10 PM3/12/22
    to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
    That's a beautiful build Hugh!!!

    Hugh Smitham

    Mar 13, 2022, 4:23:49 AM3/13/22
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    Thanks Jon!

    To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/CAMO8PLh7DqkDPAXK%2B%3DGMfr_kUG8Tro0MM8v5h8dm40kF3O6StA%40mail.gmail.com.

    Bill Fulford

    Mar 13, 2022, 7:48:19 AM3/13/22
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    I’ve been waiting for this bike to show up and it’s been worth the wait! Very impressive. I like the Atlantis with big tires, what size? It appears maxed. I never would have thought that orange and purple would work. But it certainly has. That looks like a very fun bike to ride!

    scott minor

    Mar 13, 2022, 10:26:51 AM3/13/22
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    Hugh that is a beauty!  I finally got mine together recently and have been riding it for the last few weeks.  It's another non-traditional color Atlantis, bought it from a nice semi-local group member last year.  I am using an XT rapid rise RD with 11 speed cassette/chain and the shifting is sublime.  I'm enjoying it very much.  Bars are the wide Toscos with Riv 135mm face-plater stem.  Also of note but not seen is an Onyx rear hub.  I've never enjoyed freewheeling as much as with this hub.  I'm hooked!

    atlantis.jpg

    Matt Beecher

    Mar 13, 2022, 11:20:23 AM3/13/22
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    Neat bike.  Orange and purple always reminds me of the Joker, though I am not a big fan of the character.  I've thought about getting a bike repainted in purple and orange for a few years, though I have not decided on which shades to use.

    Best regards,
    Matt in Oswego, IL

    Hugh Smitham

    Mar 13, 2022, 1:12:38 PM3/13/22
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    Morning Bill,

    And happy spring. Life's been busy these days so the final push to build was constantly delayed,  once I peeled some time off it went pretty quick. I spent some time prepping the frame previously with frame saver and helicopter tape in the vulnerable areas since it will see dirt and rocks.

    Regarding tire size, it is maxed out. Especially in the rear and particularly because of the motolites, they're a great brake but the noodle and straddle cable sit pretty low. The tires are 650b x2.2.

    I appreciate the praise,  orange, purple and green are favorites colors of mine and yeah it does work.  I have only ridden it 9 miles on a MUP  But it is very fun to ride. Maybe because of the tire choice but it rides completely different from my road Atlantis.

    Cheers!

    Hugh

    stoker

    Mar 13, 2022, 5:27:10 PM3/13/22
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    My 58cm from the first run. Pretty sure it was the end of 2000?
    Great to see all the terrific builds!

    Hugh Smitham

    Mar 13, 2022, 9:59:01 PM3/13/22
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    Scott,

    Thank you Sir.

    That's a robust green 'lantis, love it!

    I'm rapid rise curious, for years I've heard about it but till Grant recently on Russ's YouTube channel explained the upsides to it I was dubious. Pretty happy with my M952 XTR rear mech so probably won't search for one anytime soon.

    I've heard about those Oynx hubs 💰💰 but sublime to roll on. I put my old M950 XTR rear hub back in service after years on my 1998 Salsa Ala carte, I was pleased with how quiet and seemingly frictionless it rode.

    Lol, I'm stuck on 9 speed I feel like it's the sweet spot in the Shimano line, less expensive and more durable. I wouldn't mind trying the Toscos but honestly I really want to try the Crust Orthopedic Back Bars.

    Love a face-plater stem. So much easier to deal with.

    Cheers,

    Hugh

    Hugh Smitham

    Mar 13, 2022, 10:02:18 PM3/13/22
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    Matt,

    Didn't even consider the Joker connection. Fortunately,  it's mostly orange with a bit of purple and a hint of green. I would definitely get a bike frame in Purple, maybe the next one? Although the Grey and Kidney bean Hungapillar is epic.

    Hugh

    Hugh Smitham

    Mar 13, 2022, 10:05:04 PM3/13/22
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    Stoker,

    Is that a recent picture? It looks pristine. I dig the Ibis stem..

    Hugh

    stoker

    Mar 13, 2022, 10:46:24 PM3/13/22
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    Hi Hugh - it’s not a recent pic - it was taken around 2005 or 06, so it was a few years old. Really dig your new Atlantis. Great parts pick and love the orange!

    Bob

    Hugh Smitham

    Mar 13, 2022, 10:55:04 PM3/13/22
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    Bob,

    Thank you Sir. It was a fun parts picking process. My favorite bits are the vintage XTR bits and the Cerakote Nitto Seatpost and stem adapter.

    Hugh

    David Person

    Mar 14, 2022, 4:09:58 PM3/14/22
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    Yeehaw!

    Hugh Smitham

    Mar 14, 2022, 6:27:38 PM3/14/22
    to RBW Owners Bunch

    ascpgh

    Mar 15, 2022, 8:00:42 AM3/15/22
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    Nice hue, Hugh! That's an Atlantis advertising genetics it shares with an early stablemate in that color. Not creamsicle, but it doesn't take much to conjure Rambouillet.

    Nice build, I'm sure eager for your impressions of the Onyx hubs, especially after you've ridden some miles and several sets of tires. I love the good news of parts that are really worthy and hope those live up to your feelings for your XTR RD.

    Andy Cheatham

    Hugh Smitham

    Mar 15, 2022, 12:48:52 PM3/15/22
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    Haha, good one Andy. This hue has been a desire since I saw Dave riding a Masi in said hue on the big screen way back yonder. Not creamsicle but burnt Appaloosa orange, Rambouillet's are the bees knees :)

    I'm unsure a Onyx hub is in my future?

    Seems you have some (less than ideal) experience with the xtr rear mechanical?

    Cheers,

    Hugh

    vernon brooks

    Mar 22, 2022, 1:55:50 AM3/22/22
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    Here is a photo from a recent weekend trip I took to the Pt Reyes lighthouse.IMG_3756 (1).JPG
    Hope y'all enjoy!
    Vern

    Todd G

    Mar 22, 2022, 11:44:49 AM3/22/22
    to RBW Owners Bunch
    Beautiful Atlantis and beautiful shot, Vern. Prior to reading, I thought that looked like the North Beach. Hoping to make it out there myself within the next couple of weeks.
    It is loading more messages.