Fender size for a Rambouiller

Jon Richardson

Oct 17, 2022, 6:22:14 PM10/17/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I am looking to add a set of fenders to ride in wet weather, what size fits this frame?

Thanks for the assist!
Jon

Joe Bernard

Oct 18, 2022, 12:58:43 AM10/18/22
to RBW Owners Bunch

RICHARD BORNEMAN

Oct 18, 2022, 6:08:52 AM10/18/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I have 43mm Honjo's on my Ram. They look and work great.
Richard

I am looking to add a set of fenders to ride in wet weather, what size fits this frame?

Thanks for the assist!
Jon

jonrich55

Oct 18, 2022, 8:17:52 AM10/18/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Joe!  The description says for 20-28c tires, however I run the 33.3 Jack Bs, do I need a wider set of fenders?

Jon

George Schick

Oct 18, 2022, 8:58:56 AM10/18/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I use the SKS fenders on my Ram along with 32mm Paselas and it's a shoe horn fit.

Rambouillet-2.jpg

jonrich55

Oct 18, 2022, 11:29:54 AM10/18/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Richard,
Thanks for providing the size you have installed.  What size tire are you running?  ,

I want to use my Jack B 33.3s under the fenders.

Jon

Joe Bernard

Oct 18, 2022, 2:10:20 PM10/18/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Jon,

You would probably need wider fenders for 33.3 and I'm not comfortable recommending it. These frames weren't designed for a fender/tire combination like that and the minimal  clearance is begging for a bike-stopping branch to get stuck in there.

jonrich55

Oct 18, 2022, 2:47:54 PM10/18/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Joe,

Thanks again for your input.  I thought the sales brochure that came out with this bike had said 38c without fender and 35c with, one of the reasons I figured this frame would be ideal.

Another person said they have 45mm fenders...I assume you would advise against that?

RICHARD BORNEMAN

Oct 18, 2022, 3:10:20 PM10/18/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I have 700x28 tires under my fenders. Tried Jack Brown 33’s but too tight.
I think 28’s are the biggest tire that will fit with fenders.
Richard

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 18, 2022, at 2:10 PM, Joe Bernard <joer...@gmail.com> wrote:

Jon,

Joe Bernard

Oct 18, 2022, 3:42:47 PM10/18/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Jon,

This screengrab of that brochure mentions 38mm clearance without fenders, nothing about fendering. Can a tight fit be done? Probably and lots of people will tell you it's fine but you won't hear it from me.

Screenshot_20221018_123822.jpg

Peter White

Oct 18, 2022, 3:42:57 PM10/18/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I'm firmly in Joe's camp.

I use Challenge Paris Roubaix tires on my Rambouillet. They are labelled 27mm but measure 29.5mm. My fenders are Berthoud carbon fiber, only 25mm wide, but then this is my good weather bike. I would not recommend anything wider than these tires with any fender on the Rambouillet. 33.3mm would be very dangerous, in my opinion. If this were my bad weather bike, I'd be using the same tires but with the 41mm Stronglight anodized aluminum fenders.

Peter Jon White

Joe Bernard

Oct 18, 2022, 3:51:28 PM10/18/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
You could put some Woody's Chop Chorts on it, or the plastic clip-ons Riv sells now. They won't save your hide in a downpour but at that point you're gonna be soaked anyway!

jonrich55

Oct 18, 2022, 4:12:47 PM10/18/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Those look cool!

My 28s are lightweights on lightweight rims and not the ones I would chose for rain or off road.  Was hoping the 33s would work, thought might look for a more offroad 28 or 30 to go with fenders.

Appreciate all the help...kept me from doing something unwise :)

jonrich55

Oct 18, 2022, 7:28:22 PM10/18/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Peter!

Appreciate everyone's help and advice.  Looks like 28 or maybe 30s if they are true to size and 41 to 45mm fenders should work.  Guess the Jack Browns are nice weather gravel for the Ram.

Oct 18, 2022, 8:20:13 PM10/18/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
IF you can get those wider fenders inside those brakes. My memory of messing with this on my Romulus is pretty vague now but it wasn't the easiest project I've ever embarked on.

John Dewey

Oct 19, 2022, 1:18:08 AM10/19/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Ah, Rambouillet.

Here's mine, vintage 2004. I'm the only caretaker, day-by-day for all its 18 years:

This one happens to fit 32 mm under mudguards quite well—shod with RH 32mm Stampede Pass, Supple Vitesse @ 33mm, and now Conti 5000S also @ 32. BTW, rims are Mavic Open Pro. So steady and true ever since Day One.

BEST / Jock Dewey / San Anselmo

PS:  SKS P45

John Dewey

Oct 19, 2022, 1:26:21 AM10/19/22
to RBW Owners Bunch

RICHARD BORNEMAN

Oct 19, 2022, 5:49:19 AM10/19/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Here is a photo of mine. 700x28 Ruffy Tuffy tires on Open Pro rims under the Honjo 43 fenders. Room for a little more tire but not much. Jack Brown's were way too tight.
I would like to try some tires that are a true 30mm.
The sizes vary by a couple mm depending on the tire rim combo.
Richard

Oct 19, 2022, 7:57:43 AM10/19/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
The chainstay clearance is about 41mm. So if you use something wider, you'll just need to trim the fender just behind the BB.

Peter Jon White

--
Peter White

Jon Richardson

Oct 19, 2022, 10:35:29 AM10/19/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Sweet ride...I wish my Ram was the Orange paint version (mine is the second version in Blue).  Thanks for the picture, that certainly gives me a great perspective of the Fender/Tire arrangement.  I haven't used fenders since I was a kid (long long time ago :)), so this is my first setup with them on the Ram.

Jon Richardson

Oct 19, 2022, 10:46:24 AM10/19/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Richard - Sweet ride...I wish my Ram was the Orange paint version (mine is the second version in Blue).  Thanks for the picture, that certainly gives me a great perspective of the Fender/Tire arrangement.  I haven't used fenders since I was a kid (long long time ago :)), so this is my first setup with them on the Ram.  I also love to see Campy equipped bikes, I am running the Chorus 10spd groupset on mine (the last of the silver alloy versions).

Jon Richardson

Oct 19, 2022, 10:59:04 AM10/19/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
John - Did you order this with a custom color?  That is a really nice light blue color you picked!  Thanks for the first hand account of tires/rims and fender setups...added to the other responses and pictures, this gives me a great first hand view of my options.  While I am not a person who enjoys cold weather, I am trying to set my Ram up for either type of riding...as well as use my trainer when preferred.

RichS

Oct 19, 2022, 12:38:15 PM10/19/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Jon,

Which fenders you choose can make a difference. John's exquisite light blue Ram uses SKS fenders so there is no rolled edge between the tire and inside edge of the fender, hence a touch more space. If you go with a Berthoud, VO, or Honjo you will lose the little bit of wiggle room non-metal fenders can provide.
Joe Bell could paint your Ram in a nice multi-stage orange too:-)

Best,
Rich in ATL

George Schick

Oct 19, 2022, 1:07:10 PM10/19/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Rich, yes.  And another thing about the SKS fenders (because of the material they're made from) is that they can be heated a little and then bent with indents in certain places to allow the use of items such as short reach brakes.  This is exactly what I had to do with the front Shimano brake on my Ram in order be able to pull the lever without the brake arms squeezing and shifting the fender around.

Jon Richardson

Oct 19, 2022, 1:34:57 PM10/19/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Rich - very good points!  initially I was thinking of a curved set, however look at the various versions out in the market (including some nice wooden ones), I am leaning towards a flat set.

George - wow, another perspective thing to think about, and I guess might not be 100% known until the time the fenders are mounted if they are on the larger side.  I am using the standard Shimano brakes that came with the bike when new, so I will measure the opening with my micrometer when I have the brake engaged.

I appreciate everyone jumping in and providing their experiences, thoughts, pictures and all the factors one should consider!  This is a great group of folks!

Jon

ascpgh

Oct 19, 2022, 2:27:47 PM10/19/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I finally settled on RH stampede Pass tires on Velocity Synergy rims under Honjo H-45 fenders and Paul center mount Racer brakes. Been riding that Rambouillet on all roads that way for years.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh

MoVelo

Oct 20, 2022, 1:52:14 PM10/20/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Im running 50mm SKS plastic fenders on my Ramboulliet when it's in fender mode. I switch back and forth between 700x32s and 650Bx42s so it's good to have a fender wide enough for both of those.

It works really well given the location of the brake bridge in back and fork crown in front. Using Tektro 559s I simply slide the brake shoes to the bottom of the slot for 650B and then at the top of the slot for 700c. I did have to file the rear brake slot a bit to get the brake shoe low enough.

It's almost as simple and operation as with disc brakes. Takes me maybe 20 mins to make the switch.

I can't think of a more versatile bike than this Rambo.

JP

jonrich55

Oct 20, 2022, 8:03:55 PM10/20/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
JP - I have wondered about having this setup as a 650b ride.  To hear how you made this a convertible is very intriguing!  I have mostly race type road bikes and am moving into a more useful all-round bike as I have had too many injuries.

Will M

Oct 21, 2022, 9:32:05 AM10/21/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
@Jon: I see you've had some good info about maximum fender/tire clearances. For what it's worth, I ran my Ram 100% on paved roads with the standard Rivendell Roll-y Pol-y 700x28c tires and SKS P35 fenders (which max out at 28mm tires?).  Worked great with Ultegra side-pull brakes.

Will M

MoVelo

Oct 24, 2022, 12:20:11 PM10/24/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
@Jon-the clearance for true 650x42s is about 3mm. I say true because my experience with three different brands has yielded two different widths. Rene Herse 650x42s actually measure 40mm in width while both Panaracer Pari Motos and Gravel Kings measure a true 42mm, all on Velocity A23's.

Obviously the Rene Herse will give you close to 5mm clearance which to many is better. I prefer the 5 mm clearance myself but really like the Pari-Motos. I currently am running the Herse's on another bike, and since the clearance issues are with the chain stays and not the front fork, I may trying running the Pari-Motos on the front of both bikes and the Horses on the rear.

You would not expect a 2mm width difference to matter much but it does add just a bit extra cush and on gravel adds additional stability and confidence.

Also, a part of the discussion for your consideration should be brakes. There has been a lot of discussion on this, bob and 650b groups about the lack of stopping power of Tektro 559s, particularly when the brake shoes are at the end of the slot as is required for 650b conversion. I have not personally experienced lack of stopping power. I try to avoid riding in the rain, do not have long decents and perhaps my big mitts are strong enough to compensate for the lack of leverage. YMMV.

Patrick Moore

Oct 28, 2022, 11:15:16 AM10/28/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I'm pretty sure that the second gen blue Rams were built with more clearance, so the original poster will have to take that into account.

Nice fender line, btw.

Patrick Moore

Patrick Moore

Oct 28, 2022, 11:15:50 AM10/28/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
That depend on the model. My blue Ram took 1.35” — 32 mm actual — tires under fenders. Close fit but entirely acceptable; no rubbing or other problems. 29 mm Paris Roubaix tires had very ample clearance.

Patrick Moore
iPhone

On Oct 18, 2022, at 1:10 PM, RICHARD BORNEMAN <rsb...@msn.com> wrote:

 I have 700x28 tires under my fenders. Tried Jack Brown 33’s but too tight.

Patrick Moore

Oct 28, 2022, 11:15:50 AM10/28/22
to Patrick Moore, rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
And the fenders were SKS; Honjos or VOs would have given a bit more room.

Patrick Moore
iPhone

On Oct 18, 2022, at 1:26 PM, Patrick Moore <bert...@gmail.com> wrote:

That depend on the model. My blue Ram took 1.35” — 32 mm actual — tires under fenders. Close fit but entirely acceptable; no rubbing or other problems. 29 mm Paris Roubaix tires had very ample clearance.

Patrick Moore

Oct 28, 2022, 11:15:50 AM10/28/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Agree that 32s + fenders worked fine. My setup was much like yours, and worked fine with SKS Longboards and 622X1.35" (32 mm actual) Kojaks; Open Pros, too. Sure, a bit more space would have been desirable, but there was sufficient clearance at the tight points at crown and brake bridge, and I never had any problems. I'd not want to ride like this off road, but mine at least was a pavement bike.

Chris Dresden

Mar 29, 2023, 12:07:20 PM3/29/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm looking at the Herse Chinook (28C) for my 2003 Rambouillet. Right now I'm running 25C with plastic fenders. It look like it could be a little tight with anything over 25C. Anybody tried the Chinook? Another Herse choice is the Cayuse Pass (26C)

Chris