Orange Ram touchup paint

Chris Dresden

Dec 20, 2022, 3:14:57 PM12/20/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Checked some older postings and cyclofriend who recommended Boyds Roadser Florida Orange Pearl but appears to be out of stock. Anyone tried Boyd's Orange Pearl Enamel?

Cyclofiend Jim

Dec 22, 2022, 12:53:12 PM12/22/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Not sure on that one.

Note that the orange Ram was a layered paint job. Very tough to actually "match".

Jim

John Dewey

Dec 22, 2022, 7:31:27 PM12/22/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
That is all very true. Matching metallic / pearl formulas is nearly impossible but you never know…maybe you get lucky. Keep at it ; )

And the TESTORS Boyd’s paints go way way back to the nineties. Probably impossible to get your brush in.

But good luck! BTW, that’s Boyd Coddington, one of the great old hot rod designers. TESTORS made a collection of his trademark colors.

BEST / Jock Dewey / xTESTORS

ascpgh

Dec 23, 2022, 5:29:45 AM12/23/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Small blems on an orange Rambouillet may be cosmetically reduced from attracting attention using nail enamel in a good color match. As others have said, the pearlescent orange finish was a three layer build to achieve the result and is a harrowing repair to execute with continuity to the surrounding original finish.

That complexity of finish is why my Ram and its beausavage (when things get beyond Grant's "beausage") has not been renewed and the sum quoted to do so by JB and others was put toward a new frame and fork.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh
(where the 30-40 mph wind gusts and temperature drop just happened like a switch was thrown)

Chris Dresden

Dec 26, 2022, 1:33:58 AM12/26/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I should have mentioned that a few years ago the rd dropout cracked and I took it back to Riv who had it re-brazed in Sacto and then sent to
a paint matcher to repaint the repaired area who was obviously really good at this and I could not see any change in the color.

Chris
Boise

ascpgh

Dec 26, 2022, 10:11:28 AM12/26/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
RDS rear dropout snapped on mine too.
F14219F9-AF5B-4249-9A4B-266ACC20D2DC.jpeg
Grainy thumbnail pic, file acuity lost in software updates, you get the idea though. Both sides replaced by Rivendell, JB reshot the paint.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh