Many Things Cages with 64oz Klean Kanteen Bottles

Deacon Patrick

May 13, 2019, 5:16:20 PM5/13/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Beorn of the Gus Boots Willsen family is now outfitted with three King Cage Many Things Cages (and one iris cage), bringing my frame carry water carrying capacity to 3 x 64oz + 27oz = 219oz (6.2 liters). This is a challenge I've had in the dry bits bikepacking, and since I'll be attempting (hopefully) some more I am excited to be able to carry water low and central on my frame for the longer stretches (I'll carry empty when not needed).

Test rode the Klean Kanteen 64oz. bottle on the lowest cage today and it rode the whole way snug and silent. Andrew at King Cage said the 64oz works great and also is the largest he would recommend. I used his universal support bolts to augment the bottle bosses as needed, and add the Iris cage behind the seat tube.

John Rinker

May 13, 2019, 9:32:46 PM5/13/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Cool! I love my King Cage/64ozKanteen; mostly because it makes an excellent growler when one happens upon a brewery here or there. Though, it's best to have a friend along to finish it off. Phew!

Cheers, John

Wally Estrella

May 19, 2019, 12:26:01 PM5/19/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Patrick,

Two: topside of the downtube
One: underside of the downtube
Equals three mounts for water bottle cages.  Where's the fourth? Is it on the seattube?

CHEERS!
Wally

Deacon Patrick

May 19, 2019, 2:40:33 PM5/19/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Exactly, Wally! King Cages USB mounts work fantastically. Cotton bar tap on the tube to protect it, snug them up, and mount the cage. I could put a Many Things cage there and put a 40 oz bottle (a 64 oz might squeeze, but it would be snug, at least on my prototype). But I just have an Iris there with a 27 oz bottle (better for day rides and easy access vs. working the straps, though I don't find them cumbersome save for the undertube mount that requires defying gravity. Grin.

With abandon,
Patrick

Wally Estrella

May 20, 2019, 8:04:29 AM5/20/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Ahhhhh, yes! The USB!  I use the Many Thing Cages on my fat bike.  When I get a GBW a few will be mounted on that also.

Deacon Patrick

May 21, 2019, 2:19:23 PM5/21/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Right, Wally. The USB's turn the two sets of two bosses on the downtube into three each and the Many Things cages love it. https://snap.as/me/photos/LAhO7FN