Jobst Brandt photo archive on instagram

Eric Marth

Aug 3, 2022, 1:13:52 PM8/3/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
There's a new instagram account with photos from Jobst Brandt's riding and touring, sanctioned by his family.

I've really enjoyed reading his archived alpine tour diaries. Worthwhile if you haven't dug in.

Garth

Aug 3, 2022, 1:35:55 PM8/3/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
It looks like facecrook in that you have log in/register to view anything with instascam ?  Anyone know of simple viewer anonymously ?

Garth

Aug 3, 2022, 1:39:24 PM8/3/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Or is it just the three photos ?

Addison Wilhite

Aug 3, 2022, 2:01:39 PM8/3/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Looks like only 3 photos so far but they only just started posting on July 25th.  Nice that the account is set up with family permission to share photos.  I've always find them pretty breathtaking images.

Addison Wilhite, M.A.

Academy of Arts, Careers and Technology

“Blazing the Trail to College and Career Success”

Portfolio and Blog

Eric Marth

Aug 3, 2022, 3:07:14 PM8/3/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm glad they're sharing some of his ride photos, for sure!

There are some online but mostly hard to get to on the Internet Archive.

Eric Marth

Aug 3, 2022, 3:45:20 PM8/3/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Garth, I understand your are "Meta-averse" and I can't blame you. Rather than access the instagram link check out my Trento Bike link above for plenty of photos and great ride reports. Here it is again: https://www.trentobike.org/byauthor/JobstBrandt.html

There's also an archived view of some of Brandt's pictures from the Palo Alto bike shop here:

f_digital1.jpg

Eric Marth

Aug 3, 2022, 4:29:45 PM8/3/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Well I went ahead and scraped that old Palo Alto page of 90 pictures. It's everything I could get to load for me. Now on Google Drive, easier to browse, easier to enjoy. More to love.

amill...@gmail.com

Aug 3, 2022, 4:42:02 PM8/3/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Eric!

Great inspiration.

Best,

Aaron

On Aug 3, 2022, at 14:29, Eric Marth <eric...@gmail.com> wrote:

Well I went ahead and scraped that old Palo Alto page of 90 pictures. It's everything I could get to load for me. Now on Google Drive, easier to browse, easier to enjoy. More to love.

Garth

Aug 3, 2022, 6:19:02 PM8/3/22
to RBW Owners Bunch

Those links are perfect Eric, thank you !  The Palo Alto photos take me way back to when I'd get their catalogs.

brendonoid

Aug 3, 2022, 10:54:29 PM8/3/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Wow Eric, what a resource.
Thank you so much.

RichS

Aug 4, 2022, 11:05:34 AM8/4/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Eric,

Thank you for the photo archive. For more stories and pics -- specifically about the Bay Area rides Jobst and his pals did check out
Ray Hosler's recent book "Once Upon a Ride".

Best,
Rich in ATL

Eric Marth

Aug 4, 2022, 2:26:47 PM8/4/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks for the tip, Rich, that sounds really cool.

Corwin Zechar

Aug 4, 2022, 5:35:57 PM8/4/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Wow Eric! Those photos are fantastic. I tried to read Jobst' reports, but came up short.

Thanks very much.

Corwin

Eric Marth

Aug 4, 2022, 6:58:02 PM8/4/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm glad everyone who has said so is digging the pictures and reports. The guy definitely tackled some beautiful and stunning rides, not to mention mileage. I tallied one of his tours and it was something like 1,800 miles and over 100,000 feet of climbing. I think he was in his 70s at the time!

Eric Marth

Aug 8, 2022, 7:16:04 AM8/8/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks again, Rich, for recommending Ray Hosler's book. I've been enjoying reading the ride reports, sounds beautiful, fun, exhausting. Hard to imagine these guys were running such narrow tires in rough country.

I only wish that stats on mileage and elevation were included :)

poster2.jpg

Bob Ehrenbeck

Aug 8, 2022, 12:39:02 PM8/8/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks for putting in the work to load these photos, Eric! These are spectacular -- so very RSF-ish!

Bob E
Cranford, NJ

RichS

Aug 8, 2022, 1:02:24 PM8/8/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Eric,

You're welcome. Under biking to be sure but ride what you've got! For me, the pictures of the rides he did in the Alps as well as the Sierras carrying only a Carradice bag
are the essence of light touring; all the better for those big climbs.

Best,
Rich in ATL

Message has been deleted

Eric Marth

Aug 8, 2022, 1:13:45 PM8/8/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
@Bob: Rough Stuff Goes West!

@Rich: Seems like Brandt was into traveling light even when touring. I like in the alpine reports where he talks about shipping his suitcase from one train station to the next. I just read a Tom Ritchey remembrance where he notes Brandt didn't even have bottle bosses on his frames. Seems he was partial to drinking from springs, stopping at stores and downing big milkshakes.

Eric Marth

Aug 11, 2022, 3:14:14 PM8/11/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I wish I'd titled this thread "Jobst Brandt rides and pictures." It's a better reflection of what we're sharing here.

Thanks to Rich I've been reading Ray Hosler's book of weekly ride reports from Sunday excursions with Jobst Brandt around the Bay Area in the 1980s.

On Ray's blog I found this account from his trip to the Alps with Brandt in 1986. I haven't even read it yet but I know already that it's going to be good. Halfway through his book I know his descriptions of bike rides make for fun reading. Lots of photos, too.

fontanatwo.jpg

R Shannon

Aug 12, 2022, 12:03:57 PM8/12/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks Eric. Inspiring stories to be sure. As frequently as Jobst and his riding buddies had to shoulder their bikes across streams and rough terrain they had to keep their rides light. No water bottles for Jobst!

Best,
Rich in ATL