Platypus/Clem sizing

522 skatījumi
Pāriet uz pirmo nelasīto ziņojumu

Keith Swanson

nelasīta,
2022. gada 25. apr. 22:38:2225.04.22
uz RBW Owners Bunch
I have a 52 Clem L that feels a bit large for me and am trying to decide whether to replace it with a 50 Platypus or a 45 Clem L (If anyone has a 50 Cheviot frame in silver or blue I would be interested).  Does anyone know if there's much of a difference between the two sizes?  The 52 Clementine I test rode felt much different than the one I have now.

Joe Bernard

nelasīta,
2022. gada 25. apr. 23:38:1725.04.22
uz RBW Owners Bunch
This is strictly hearsay because the geometry charts are gone and my memory skills are questionable but I'll start here: the current Clem L is crazy longer in the effective toptube than the originals. I believe the 52 is now 65cm ETT and the 45 is 62cm ETT. If I recall correctly - maybe Leah can help us here - the 55 Platypus is about 62cm ETT, matching the 45 Clem L. I have it this way in my head because I have a 79PBH and concluded I would ride a 45 Clem (current) and 55 Platy.

Conclusion? Don't listen to me, call Riv!

Joe Bernard

Bicycle Belle Ding Ding!

nelasīta,
2022. gada 26. apr. 07:27:5326.04.22
uz RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Keith, I have the 52 Clem and the 55 Platy. They are completely different bikes and the sizing is confusing because the 52 Clem feels bigger than the 55 Platypus. I am 5’6”, with an 81 cm PBH. Technically, I would be sized for the top end of the 50 Platy, but I like to size up if I can. I have very little seat post showing, but I can’t imagine riding the smaller-sized Platypus. I love how the 55 Platypus fits me. The Clem also feels right to me, but it took a lot of experimenting with stems before I settled into it. I think I have an 80 on the Clem and a 100 on the Platy. After riding the Clem, my Platypus will feel a little cramped to me at the start of the ride. I think a 50 would definitely feel too small after riding a 52 Clem.

It would be helpful if you could test ride, but these bikes are rare as hen’s teeth, aren’t they? People are really nice about letting other Listers test ride a Rivendell, so maybe post a “Want to test ride” thread? There might be someone with a 45 Clem L or a 55 Platy in your area who would let you throw a leg over it for a hot minute…

Do you have any leads on the bikes you’re considering?  I hope so! I don’t often see Cheviots or Platypuses for sale and it will be a long wait until Rivendell gets their next shipments.

Leah Peterson

nelasīta,
2022. gada 26. apr. 07:30:0426.04.22
uz rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Keith, here’s a photo of my Platypus; you can see how little seat post is showing. But I promise it’s the right size!

image0.jpeg

On Apr 26, 2022, at 7:27 AM, Bicycle Belle Ding Ding! <jonasa...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Keith, I have the 52 Clem and the 55 Platy. They are completely different bikes and the sizing is confusing because the 52 Clem feels bigger than the 55 Platypus. I am 5’6”, with an 81 cm PBH. Technically, I would be sized for the top end of the 50 Platy, but I like to size up if I can. I have very little seat post showing, but I can’t imagine riding the smaller-sized Platypus. I love how the 55 Platypus fits me. The Clem also feels right to me, but it took a lot of experimenting with stems before I settled into it. I think I have an 80 on the Clem and a 100 on the Platy. After riding the Clem, my Platypus will feel a little cramped to me at the start of the ride. I think a 50 would definitely feel too small after riding a 52 Clem.

Doug H.

nelasīta,
2022. gada 26. apr. 08:23:0626.04.22
uz RBW Owners Bunch
Keith,
I ride a 52 Clem and am 5'10" with an 83 PBH. I could ride a 59 I think but I prefer the 650b wheels. The 45 Clem has 26 inch wheels while the 59 has 700c. It's so cool that wheel size scales to frame size! That you can ride multiple sizes is one advantage (of several) to the low top tube bikes. Here is a photo of mine set up for me and you can see I have plenty of seat post showing.
Doug

Clem L.jpg

Joe Bernard

nelasīta,
2022. gada 26. apr. 11:28:3226.04.22
uz RBW Owners Bunch

To clarify, the 45cm Clem L is a 27.5/650b bike now. And longer ETT than the old 26-ers.

Doug H.

nelasīta,
2022. gada 26. apr. 11:34:3226.04.22
uz RBW Owners Bunch
Good catch Joe. I think that is a good change and makes sense with the loooong  chainstays.
Doug

Mackenzy Albright

nelasīta,
2022. gada 26. apr. 11:50:4526.04.22
uz RBW Owners Bunch
I've been enjoying the builds of "mack's bikes and goods" on instagram. They have a variety of step through  Rivendell setups that use swept back bars with fairly short stems in comparison to what Rivendell recommends. (maybe 60-80) Why not try a shorter stem before replacing? I actually think they look quite nice. Tjhere's a rosco bubbe (baby version?) on the page that is a personal favorite.

Johnny Alien

nelasīta,
2022. gada 26. apr. 13:12:0226.04.22
uz RBW Owners Bunch
I have a 52 Clem L and would ride a 50 Platy. I am at the top of that size based on my PBH but because with the long Riv reaches I prefer to size down rather than up when I am in the middle like that. I use a pretty short stem with a sweptback bar (tosco) on my Clem and it works great.

Joe Bernard

nelasīta,
2022. gada 26. apr. 13:15:2026.04.22
uz RBW Owners Bunch
I wish they would cut this part from the product description:
  • 45cm / 27.5-inch new mountain bikey size wheels. Typical rider height: 5-0 to 5-5
  • 52cm / 27.5-inch new mountain bikey size wheels. Typical rider height: 5-5 to 5-11
It's from the first batch and doesn't even correspond to the PBH recs elsewhere in the description. Nobody 5 feet tall is riding a current 45cm Clem L.

Leah Peterson

nelasīta,
2022. gada 26. apr. 14:06:2826.04.22
uz rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Sofia is! She has a blue Clem from the lottery and I don’t think she is 5’1”.

On Apr 26, 2022, at 1:15 PM, Joe Bernard <joer...@gmail.com> wrote:

I wish they would cut this part from the product description:

Joe Bernard

nelasīta,
2022. gada 26. apr. 14:25:3726.04.22
uz RBW Owners Bunch
So I'm wrong. This happens occasionally! 🙃

Doug H.

nelasīta,
2022. gada 26. apr. 14:30:1126.04.22
uz RBW Owners Bunch
Low stand over. Short stem. Swept back bars. Should work for an untall rider. ;)
Doug

Sofie C

nelasīta,
2022. gada 26. apr. 15:09:2026.04.22
uz RBW Owners Bunch
Hi all! I'm 5'1.5 and shrinking lol. I ride the current 45 clem and it is a perfect fit. I could ride the 50 cm platy bc of the low standover but it did feel like a bit of a stretch, reach-wise. Changing from loscos to boscos (thanks to Leah!) helped it feel more comfortable -- and perhaps if I had tried a shorter stem (?), that would have helped even more. Alas I decided to sell the platy after I felt the perfect fit of the 45 clem.

Sofie C

nelasīta,
2022. gada 26. apr. 15:11:0226.04.22
uz RBW Owners Bunch
P.S. I have the stock complete 45 clem with toscos...

Sofie C

nelasīta,
2022. gada 26. apr. 15:11:3726.04.22
uz RBW Owners Bunch
And I've got a 76.5" pbh...

Richard Rose

nelasīta,
2022. gada 26. apr. 15:23:0426.04.22
uz rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Interesting observation. I love the fit of my 52 Clem but wonder if I “should” be on a 59? A little more than a fistful of seatpost showing and with a 130mm (I know!) FacePater & 650 wide Tosco. The stem is as high as it can go. So a 59 could work I guess but with a much shorter stem? According to the size suggestions you reference I should definitely be on a 52. But based on PBH I could probably be comfortable on a 59.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 26, 2022, at 1:15 PM, Joe Bernard <joer...@gmail.com> wrote:

I wish they would cut this part from the product description:
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/93e3ae75-47e7-46c0-9c9d-deadef519eean%40googlegroups.com.

Doug H.

nelasīta,
2022. gada 26. apr. 15:45:2326.04.22
uz RBW Owners Bunch
When I spoke to Grant about the Clem a few years ago he suggested the 59 would work well for me but I decided on a 52 in large part for the wheel size. But, that conversation may have been based on the first gen geometry which has changed.
Doug

Joe Bernard

nelasīta,
2022. gada 26. apr. 16:10:3926.04.22
uz RBW Owners Bunch
Basically the trick to purchasing any Clem - especially used - is to get the effective toptube number and start from there. I know Grant hates this advice but you gotta have some kinda guideline if you're not able to ride it first.

Richard Rose

nelasīta,
2022. gada 26. apr. 16:24:0326.04.22
uz rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hmm, not sure how that would have helped me? I’d of had no useable frame of reference. The Clem is so long I might have discounted it out of hand. I was trying to get more comfortable while upright & would not have thought it possible given the effective top tube measurement. And then on top of that the bike I was considering came with a 13cm stem! But a few pedal strokes wa all it took.:)

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 26, 2022, at 4:10 PM, Joe Bernard <joer...@gmail.com> wrote:

Basically the trick to purchasing any Clem - especially used - is to get the effective toptube number and start from there. I know Grant hates this advice but you gotta have some kinda guideline if you're not able to ride it first.

Joe Bernard

nelasīta,
2022. gada 26. apr. 16:43:0726.04.22
uz RBW Owners Bunch
Well I'm just trying to offer a basic guideline for one particular model whose dimensions have changed a lot over the years. It would appear I'm trying too hard in a thread that doesn't need my input. I'm out! 🙋‍♂️

Roberta

nelasīta,
2022. gada 26. apr. 18:44:1226.04.22
uz RBW Owners Bunch
If it's any help, I'm 5'7" with an 83cm PBH and ride a 55 Platy perfectly!  I have a little more seatpost showing than Leah's  I'm using a Billy Bar with a 10cm stem.

I would have taken a 52 Clem.

Roberta

On Monday, April 25, 2022 at 10:38:22 PM UTC-4 Keith Swanson wrote:

Richard Rose

nelasīta,
2022. gada 26. apr. 18:48:0426.04.22
uz rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Don’t get me wrong, your advice seems sound. Mine was a personal experience only without any prior Riv sizing reference.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 26, 2022, at 4:43 PM, Joe Bernard <joer...@gmail.com> wrote:

Well I'm just trying to offer a basic guideline for one particular model whose dimensions have changed a lot over the years. It would appear I'm trying too hard in a thread that doesn't need my input. I'm out! 🙋‍♂️

Keith Swanson

nelasīta,
2022. gada 27. apr. 08:44:0727.04.22
uz RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks for all of your input-it helps a lot.

Leah Peterson

nelasīta,
2022. gada 27. apr. 09:32:4827.04.22
uz rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Keith, I hope you find exactly what you are looking for - either model, Clem or Chev/Platy is worthy of adoration. I have sworn the Clem was my favorite and then said the same of the Platy. I do currently give the edge to my raspberry Platypus because I’ve been taking it on club rides and it has been great fun. I wouldn’t try that on my Clem. Anyway, so much can be addressed with simple stem swaps and I hope you find just exactly the right one. There’s an extra-tall Nitto on SomaFab that I have on my Clem - it’s 280mm tall and that lets you get the bars nice and close if you are feeling like your Clem is a little big.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide.
Leah

On Apr 27, 2022, at 8:44 AM, 'Keith Swanson' via RBW Owners Bunch <rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Thanks for all of your input-it helps a lot.
Atbildēt visiem
Atbildēt autoram
Pārsūtīt
0 jauni ziņojumi