Is an Atlantis Worth It?

max.c....@gmail.com

May 22, 2024, 11:44:35 AMMay 22
to RBW Owners Bunch
First: I realize I am asking this to an entirely biased group of people and I'm okay with that!

For years I have casually dreamed of owning an Atlantis. I commute 4 miles each way by bike, ditched my car a few years ago, and love riding, but I do it pretty casually. I'm not racing or doing endurance rides. I just like riding my bike and I do it whenever I can.

I don't need the nicest bike in the world and have been fairly satisfied with my 1988 Schwinn Cimarron that I've made a fair approximation of a poor man's rivendell (somewhat out of date pic below!). However, I've always had the itch to upgrade.

Recently, I received an unexpected influx of cash and want to spend it on something fun. I'm wondering: how much will I noticeably appreciate the difference an Atlantis would bring if I were to spend the money? I'm especially interested in the input from those who have gone from the 80s era rigid MTB with swept back bars that approximate a Riv (and Grant's ethos from Bridgestone) to the real deal. Was it worth the money? Do you think you could have gotten by on that 80s frame?

Thanks in advance!
Max

Gordon Stam

May 22, 2024, 12:13:16 PMMay 22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Well, there's something to be said for getting to your destination, hopping of your bike and looking back at it thinking, "man, nice bike!" - every time you ride it. That's worth something.
Also the resale value on Rivendells is really, really good so if you end up regretting your purchase (which you won't, unless you get the wrong size) you won't be out that many $$s

Kim H.

May 22, 2024, 12:14:07 PMMay 22
to RBW Owners Bunch
@Max,

FWIW, I had a 1984 Raleigh Elkhorn for short time. I really never fell in love with it.Two years ago, I had some extra monies, I decided to buy a Rivendell Clem Smith Jr. "L" bicycle. Today, I am very happy with it as a senior cyclist after all my personal upgrades.  I am very happy with having a step-through frame ( I am unable to swing my right leg over the back end of a bicycle anymore) the smooth ride with the elongated chain stays and an upright riding position. My Clem is my retirement bike in RBW blue.

I am happy that I spent the money in purchasing my Clem as a treat to myself.

'Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt." -John Muir

Kim Hetzel.

Matt Beecher

May 22, 2024, 12:28:44 PMMay 22
to RBW Owners Bunch
If this is just meant for a 4 mile commute, I would look for a different bike.  I have an Atlantis and it weighs a ton.  It is great for real touring, but it doesn't sound like you plan to do that.  I imagine that you would likely be better off with a Homer, or maybe some sort of high-end 1970's bicycle, when they still came with fender eyelets.

Victor Hanson

May 22, 2024, 1:04:18 PMMay 22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Max,

Sure, a newer frame will have newer touches.  Don't forget a lot of late 80's and even early 90's frames are 130mm spread in the rear triangle.   Thus, is upgrade fever is your forte (a whole different discussion by the by) you w

VIctor R. Hanson
Gen Mgr
Schmier Industrial Properties

Mathias Steiner

May 22, 2024, 1:08:46 PMMay 22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Max,

My knowledge of the Atlantis comes from drooling over it around the time I first discovered Rivendell -- early aughts maybe? I don't remember -- plus one ride of a few miles when I swapped bikes with a friend while on an organized multi-day tour. Luggage was transported by truck, so this was not a touring situation.

As it happened, I was riding a stiff steel touring bike myself (2010 Bruce Gordon BLT), and we both had 46 cm Noodles on our bikes.
I was disappointed in that I didn't feel anything "special" when riding the Atlantis. It felt just like my own touring bike, never mind pedigree or lugs.

And how could it be different?

Same head tube angle (72 degrees, like 98% of the tourers and sport tourers out there), same medium fork rake, same 45 cm chain stays... there is no magic, geometry is geometry, and we touch our bikes in five places, or four while climbing. Put a light set of wheels with 30 mm tires on it, and it'll feel quite a bit different, but it'll still be a stiff-as-heck touring bike.

A little give in the frame is nice but not really necessary, and you want your touring bike to be strong. Horses for courses.

Meanwhile, I use my Gordon a lot for commuting, and while it's overkill for that, so what? It is a fine-handling bicycle with no vices, the "weight" is a water bottle's worth of extra steel vs. a sporty road bike from the 80s. In fact, the bike IS somewhat heavy, but that's because of how I've set it up with a dyno hub, fenders, racks, strong wheels.... it's ready to go touring as quick as I can mount the low riders.

It's hard to build a bad bicycle, and on top of that, humans are adaptable. A few years ago, I'd alternate between a criterium road bike and a tourer, and by the time I got to the end of my street, I'd stopped noticing the difference in handling.
"Just ride," as a wise man once said.

Here's what's important:
>> For years I have casually dreamed of owning an Atlantis.

What price love? If you want one, and you can afford it, go get one. My friend from above loves his and wouldn't think of riding anything else on a long ride. Before that, he rode a Bridgestone RB-1, so he knows from road bikes. Me, I'd ride the RB-1 on a supported tour. I think. But I wouldn't worry about it.

You might give the Sam a thought, since it's more middle-of-the road a fine bike in its own right.
But it's you, and if you love the Atlantis, go for it.

cheers -m

Victor Hanson

May 22, 2024, 1:10:15 PMMay 22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Max,

If upgrade fever is in your make up, you'll want a newer frame.   Because, taking a late 80's or 90's frame and upgrading the parts pick - opens all sorts of other problems which you won't want.   Don't forget even the late 80's early 90's there still was vodoo magic running around eg: 11t home made cogs to convert 7spd to 8 spd speed.  XT shifters carefully filed to take advantage of the mystery 8th click on xt shifters....ect ect ect....blah blah blah......

VTW

Bill Schaefer

May 22, 2024, 1:56:09 PMMay 22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Max,

As someone who purchased an Atlantis about a year ago, I would say that you should absolutely go for it. I also pined after one for years, and I'll second what Gordon stated and say that every time I go outside and see it I get a smile on my face (and how can you put a price tag on that). I do agree it is a very heavy bike, although I never really feel that or think about it unless I am picking it up to get over an obstruction in the trail or end up in a hike-a-bike situation. It is a joy to ride. If you do want something a bit lighter and faster there are plenty of other Riv offerings that I am sure you would also end up loving.

Bernard Duhon

May 22, 2024, 2:14:13 PMMay 22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

This link has a good review of the Atlantis. He says it weighs 23.8 pounds.

That seems a little light but it is in the ballpark not a heavy bike.

By comparison of Fuji touring bike tips the scale at 31 pounds and not near as solid, durable or pretty.

Atlantis by Rivendell Bicycle Review - Road Bike Rider Cycling Site

Yours sincerely,

Bernard F. Duhon

Edwin W

May 22, 2024, 2:19:27 PMMay 22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Max,

If you can ride one first, that will help you come to an answer... I had heard about Rivendell for many years, but it was not until I visited the Bay Area and went out to Riv HQ and rode a few bikes that I really understood how magically comfortable they feel.

If you cannot get there, often there are people on this list not too far from you who could help you out.

Edwin in Nashville, if you are nearby..

Christian B-H

May 22, 2024, 2:31:49 PMMay 22
to RBW Owners Bunch

Hi Max,

I used to have a  1990’s GT Karakoram with swept back bars which I used as my “around towner.” I kinda wish I still had it, but I would never trade my Platypus for it which in now use every single day to get groceries or take my kid to school or just to ride for fun. I wanted an Atlantis BADLY but missed the sale, then bought this Platy locally when it became available. I think you’ll definitely notice a difference between an Atlantis and the commuter you already have, even if that difference is mostly as many people here state, “how you feel about the bike.” If you ride every day and have the $$, don’t hesitate to buy the Atlantis.

Christian in Boulder, CO

Brian Turner

May 22, 2024, 2:56:38 PMMay 22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I have always wanted to own an Atlantis or an All Rounder. Since like, the early to mid 2000s. To me, they were the quintessential Rivendell bikes to own. I loved the timeless, classic look and have always loved touring bikes built for whatever. However, the current version of the Atlantis does not hold the same appeal to me as those classic Rivs did. That’s why I searched for an older model that I’m very happy to have found.

Brian
Lexington KY

Neale S.

May 22, 2024, 6:44:56 PMMay 22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Max - if you've been yearning for an Atlantis, you probably won't regret getting one. I think it will feel like an upgrade over an 80s mtb conversion, mostly in the advantage of a longer head tube and sloping top tube making it easier to get the bars to a comfortable position.  I do think a lot of the other bikes in Riv's lineup are also worth a look as others have mentioned. I own the current-gen Atlantis and it's very capable, but it's also almost identical to the Appaloosa, and both are on the more stout/cargo-capable side of the lineup. They also might not have any new frames in stock any time soon. A clem could be a very cool all-rounder, the platypus has some kind of magical, irrational appeal that exceeds the sum of its parts, the sam and homer are also worth a look. Happy to answer any questions about my Atlantis if you have them.

Sarah Carlson

May 23, 2024, 9:04:12 AMMay 23
to RBW Owners Bunch
YES, you should get one. It's a lovely bike and capable of so many things. If you want to be able to go from road to gravel and wherever you want you should get this bike!

Bruce Byker James

May 23, 2024, 10:05:24 AMMay 23
to RBW Owners Bunch
I was in a similar situation to you not long ago. I had a heavily Rivendell-influenced Fuji touring and a Kona Smoke. Last summer I was able to stop by Rivendell and ride a Clem and an Appaloosa. I loved them both about the same, except that I'm not crazy about the look of the step-thru Clem. I get that it's super practical, but I wanted something I would also love to look at. I lock up my bike in the city a decent amount, so it couldn't be too flashy. I had some unexpected money, but not very much, so the Appaloosa was out of range. I started paying close attention to the used market, came across a Clem H in my size and purchased it in March. I LOVE it!

Without the unexpected money, I definitely would have kept enjoying the bikes I already had, but the Clem leveled-up my bicycle riding joy and so far it's made me spend more time riding.

 - Bruce

Hoch in ut

May 23, 2024, 10:38:04 AMMay 23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Mostly everyone is responding with their  heart, which is expected.

Atlantis is a touring bike. Heavy duty frame, large tire clearance. Exceptional bike. I had two Hunqapillars, which I see as equivalent to the Atlantis. For touring and/or slower long distance rides, I’d say go for it.

For a 4 mile commute? Stick with your bike. I don’t know what the other person was talking about. There are plenty of parts to upgrade a vintage bike. Or if you really want a Riv, get. Homer, Sam, or another lighter duty bike meant for commuting. I think you’d enjoy it more.

I have a similar 3 mile commute. I rode my Hunq for a few months but eventually built up an old Fuji road bike. Then happened upon a Clem for a good deal which I rode for a few months. But as much as I wanted to ride it for the commutes, it was just too much bike. The old Fuji was better.

My current commuter is an unknown vintage MTB frame with 26x1.75 slicks. I honestly don’t miss my Riv’s on the commutes. Now, if a Homer were to pop up for a good deal……..

Mathias Steiner

May 23, 2024, 12:06:42 PMMay 23
to RBW Owners Bunch
@Hoch -- A 3 mile "commute"?  That's what I've got and I might ride three different bikes in a given week.. it's more about fenders and lights when needed than the riding experience. What "riding experience?" As soon as it starts, it's over, I don't even get warm on a cold day until I'm mostly there. So literally any functioning bike will work, and a Homer is as much overkill as an Atlantis would be.

None of this is an indictment of using whatever bike one enjoys.

@Brian T

>> However, the current version of the Atlantis does not hold the same appeal to me as those classic Rivs did.

What is an Atlantis? The modern version is  much closer to the Appaloosa than it is to the original Atlantis.
I'm leery of meter-long chain stays, so I'd go the used route here, too. But I have no actual experience to back it up.

However: if it's gonna be an Atlantis, I think we can all agree that it MUST be Atlantis green. Accept no substitutes.

I can't quote it but I believe that Grant has said at various times that there's always going to be an Atlantis, and that it's always going to be made in the U.S. -- and then things changed, and Waterford closed its doors, and something had to give. Which is why we have the oddity of Appaloosa and Atlantis being produced side-by-side in Taiwan.

cheers -mathias

Ryan

May 23, 2024, 12:19:34 PMMay 23
to RBW Owners Bunch
I know this has come up before regarding Rivs (or other artisinal bikes) and commuting but....if you really want that Atlantis AND you can keep it secure during the workday go for it...or can you justify an n+1 and keep the Schwinn for commuting/errands...or can you live with/plan for (insurance rider) that said Atlantis could be stolen?

Josiah Anderson

May 23, 2024, 12:55:34 PMMay 23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hi Max,

I've done quite a bit of commuting on my Gus Boots-Willsen(s), and although I haven't ridden an Atlantis, I'd imagine the Gus is even more overkill than an Atlantis for commuting. I really, really like that bike, so even though I have others that are theoretically faster on pavement, the Gus is often what I choose. I'm now almost two years in after getting my first Gus (which got wrecked by an idiot driver and replaced with another Gus) and I still stop to look at it when I'm walking past, I like it that much. Same with my Crust Lightning Bolt that I've had for just over four years now. That just doesn't happen with my "beater" commuter bikes. People can try to reason it out all they want but there's something to be said for choosing a bike by instinct rather than with logic. If it were a very specific special-purpose bike (e.g. time-trial bike) that you were thinking of, I could see the argument against it, but there are not many things outside of racing that it seems like an Atlantis would be bad at. If you want an Atlantis, I'd say go for it - I don't think you'll regret it. And if you do, resale value is excellent.

Josiah Anderson
around the PNW somewhere, currently Tacoma

lucky...@gmail.com

May 23, 2024, 1:07:24 PMMay 23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
You should get an Atlantis and if it’s too heavy to commute, sell the Cimmaron (they’re very collectible too) and get something lighter for commuting. Or keep them both and get something lighter also! I have an Atlantis and it’s my lifetime bike, best bike I ever had.

Liz in Sacramento

Michael Morrissey

May 23, 2024, 1:08:42 PMMay 23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi! To answer your second question, no you cannot make an 80s bike into a Rivendell. I have an 80s Mountain Bike and an Appaloosa. The Appaloosa is great, and it fits me a lot better than the 80s mountain bike. The 80s mountain bike is 80% of a Rivendell, but it's that diminishing return, that difference that makes it a Rivendell. I commute on the Appaloosa and yes, it is overkill. It's heavy (Rivendell is the only bike company that doesn't publish what their frames weigh, AFAIK) and I'm slow but I like it anyway. Please consider what bike will fit you best. I wanted a 29er 80s mountain bike, and that is essentially what the Appaloosa is. I bought mine in 2016. Since then, there are a lot more options for "gravel" bikes and bikes that are similar to the Appaloosa.

If you've got the money, go for it. If you're in NYC I'll let you take my Appaloosa for a ride to test it.

Brendan Willard in SF

May 23, 2024, 5:42:14 PMMay 23
to RBW Owners Bunch
YES!    Be happy every time you see your bike!
IMG_6261.JPG

Eric Daume

May 23, 2024, 8:07:51 PMMay 23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I'm going to be the contrarian here. My experience is that I tend to enjoy the "cheap and cheerful" bikes more than bikes that were more expensive with greater expectations. I look at my little bike fleet, and sometimes think I could sell off a good chunk of them and buy something "nicer," but in practice, this doesn't work for me. I've owned a handful of Rivs over the years, but my current favorite bike is a 40 year old Trek that I paid $200 for, set up as a simple fixed gear.

I'll also add that in my experience of flipping many bikes, Rivs don't hold their value better or worse than any other more mainstream frames; they're just more expensive to start with. Buying used is always the best way to avoid any tears here.

Eric