"Trust, but Verify"

Cyclofiend Jim

Nov 23, 2023, 1:11:02 PM11/23/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Putting on the admin cap this morning:

I had a couple of members reach out to me regarding some interactions following a "WTB/WTT" posting.

They were contacted directly by a "member" who had just what they wanted. Luckily, both of the original posters did a bit of due diligence and realized that the images had been pulled from other forums, and the person who contacted them had some fairly sketchy responses. Both individuals wisely stepped away from the transaction.

This is a reminder that it's up to you to verify the validity of anyone with whom you are dealing. One quick way to do so is by searching conversations in this group under the person's email address. In this case the "member" who exhibited hinky behavior had been in this group for all of 6 days. They had not contributed to any conversations and were still moderated.

Bear in mind that a moderated/unknown member can still contact you directly. That's what this individual did in these cases.

As a reminder, if you are engaging in transactions, the onus is upon you to confirm identity and validity of the person and conditions. Ask questions. Require an image with today's newspaper or some other verifiable, unique aspect. Search them in the group.
In other words, "Trust, but verify."

Thankful, as always, for all of you in this group.

admin mode OFF

Jim

JohnS

Nov 23, 2023, 4:13:57 PM11/23/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thank you Jim for the reminder and thank you for being our admin/moderator. Much appreciated.

BTW, Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

JohnS

RichS

Nov 24, 2023, 1:52:50 PM11/24/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Jim,

Many, many thanks for your continued diligence and efforts to be the good gatekeeper that you've been for so long!

Best,
Rich in ATL

Patrick Moore

Nov 24, 2023, 2:32:34 PM11/24/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
+1; thanks, Jim.

Patrick Moore

Executive resumes, LinkedIn profiles, bios, letters, and other writing services.

When thou didst not, savage,

Know thine own meaning, but wouldst gabble like

A thing most brutish, I endowed thy purposes

With words that made them known.

Bikie#4646

Nov 28, 2023, 9:22:59 PM11/28/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Please add my own thanks for your volunteer work Jim.
BTW, I still send folks to the old Cyclofiend.com site to see the bikes I was fortunate enough to add there. If you need contributions to help defray any costs of maintaining it in place, let us know.

Paul Germain
Midlothian, Va.