Hillibikes are so close!

Ryan Frahm

Apr 28, 2022, 9:54:45 AM4/28/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have been wanting to post for weeks asking about builds to come. Hopefully they make it to port today and we will be seeing them soon! I had a pretty mellow Riv style build planned. While waiting, I’ve collected some other options as well. Can’t wait to put it together!
I’m sure everyone else waiting for one is as excited as I am. I look forward to seeing some great builds!

brendonoid

Apr 29, 2022, 2:14:17 AM4/29/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have had too long to think about my build. I now have 3 handlebars and 2 stems to choose from. Like, four? colours of brake cable and 7 colours of bar tape and I'm going crazy right here.

Ryan Frahm

Apr 29, 2022, 8:54:30 AM4/29/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Sounds like you might have too many choices when the time comes to assemble it! I picked up a tallux stem but then the new faceplate stems came out so I grabbed one of those. Still only have a Bosco to try out so far. I just went a bit crazy And got some White Industries cranks to match my Rich built WI/Cliffhanger wheelset. Might even have a Garbaruk cassette on order because I’m an evil 1X fan… It has been easy for me to spend more on the upcoming Susie since I haven’t bought anything for my current bike the whole time!

Erik

Apr 29, 2022, 2:33:30 PM4/29/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I had a complete build for my new Gus from a Susie that I sold in December.  The plan had been to simply buy a new stem but leave everything else as is:  WI/Cliffhanger wheel set from Rich, WI 1x cranks, Tumbleweed Persuader bars, Paul Motolite brakes and levers, etc.  But because I've had so much time to think about it, I've ended up with three bar options, a new Garbaruk 11-50 cassette and pulley kit, new shifters, a LOT of headset spacers, stem caps, bar tape color options, grips, etc.  It's going to be a beautiful build and I can't wait to get started.

I'm sure there will be a lot of pictures once it's all set up.  Hoping that the ship made it on schedule!

TP H

Apr 29, 2022, 4:39:55 PM4/29/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I too am pumped for these to arrive!  I'm hoping we get a newsletter email today from Will that confirms their arrival at port by yesterdays estimated date.  That will then only be topped by Riv's first shared photo of the actual frames - talk about a sight for sore eyes :)  This XL orange Gus is my first Riv, so its been a little hard to wait, but ultimately I understand the delay with how supply chain issues are going these days.  The extra time has been nice though to get parts lined up.  I found a NOS Nexave Rapid Rise derailer at my local tool/hardware recyclery/co-op for $12!  I eBay sourced an old XT crank set with quasi-unconventional 94/58 BCDs to run a 32/20 double.  That combo paired with a 7-speed 13-34 will allow me the climbing gears to get up my sometime steep trails here in Eugene, OR, while maintaining some top-end to make the descents nice, too.  Brooks B17, Velocity Cliffhangers, Bontrager 2.6 XR2s, 65cm Tosco bars, Soma High Rider stem, and a few purple (i.e., SimWorks bar end plugs, chain ring bolts, and Paul Gino mount) and blue (i.e., Koma tail light and Radavist stem cap) anodized bits round out the highlights.

Jared Wilson

Apr 29, 2022, 7:50:23 PM4/29/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Didn't see any mention in this weeks newsletter, I'm also patiently awaiting the arrival of my XL Susie.

It'll be similar to my V1 Susie, which I dearly miss and can't wait to see how the new XL treats me!

IMG_3321.JPG

brendonoid

Apr 29, 2022, 10:32:46 PM4/29/22
to RBW Owners Bunch

I had a thread about handlebar choice a few months ago, then Rivendell without any fanfare slipped a new Nitto bar into their lineup which basically filled all of my criteria. The new Bull bar seems to have gone under the radar, (it didn't immediately sell out) and is going to be perfect for my slightly too big XL Susie! I am going to wait until I have the bike in front of me to try all the options and see which one wins.
I am excited to see everyone else's builds, Some nice sounding parts lists going on here.
Was hoping for an update in today's email too and was a little disappointed.

Erik

Apr 29, 2022, 11:18:16 PM4/29/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
That's one of the bars I picked up as a possibility for the Gus.  I have the shifters and levers on it and installed it on the Paul Boxcar stem I picked up.  It's a really beautiful bar.  But I'll have to wait and see which bar wins out.

Ryan Frahm

May 1, 2022, 12:35:13 PM5/1/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Very excited to see these builds come together! I was also hoping for an update just to know they got to port at least. But I guess we should have an update by the end of he week, maybe… I’m moving in 5 weeks and I was hoping to get a nice couple night camp trip in with it before then! Getting a bit close though so we’ll see.
Message has been deleted

Valerie Yates

May 3, 2022, 8:51:44 PM5/3/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Just to add to your excitement, I have a Gus demo purchased complete from Riv from the first round and I love it.  In my garage, it looks so huge and stout that it can lead me to doubt its role in my life. But then I ride it and it is such a fun bike to ride. It is surprisingly comfortable and pleasant going uphill and truly fantastic -stable, intuitive, flowy - going downhill, paved or not. There is one steep downhill where my other bikes leave me feeling somewhat apprehensive about going too fast but I can sail down it confidently on the Gus.  It has expanded my comfort zone. I find myself thinking up routes to do with it.

Is anyone planning to tour with theirs? I wonder which racks would fit well on it.

Val in Boulder, CO

Wally Estrella

May 4, 2022, 7:52:08 AM5/4/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Is anyone planning to tour with theirs?
Yep, my Gus will be a commuter/grocery-getter/bikepacker ride -the guS-UV.   I'm planning on Tumbleweed racks for it. The TW racks are designed around modern wider hubs/frames, but I think it'll squeeze in OK to mount on a Gus.  I've seen a pic of a T-tack on a Gus, just need to find it again.

Ryan Frahm

May 4, 2022, 10:06:57 AM5/4/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Valerie, that is exciting but definitely doesn’t help the wait! Haha.

My Susie will be replacing my current bike. I only build one at a time in hopes to find one that I really enjoy more than any other. I have a feeling the Susie will be a keeper though. I have a Pass and Stow rack for the front that I hope plays nice with the steering. I do typically prefer a front load and just a saddle bag out back when needed.

I’ve been looking at the Erlen rack from Ocean Air Cycles or a Nitto R-14 or bag support for the rear. I have a field tan Fab’s chest on the way and I almost just went for the Pec Deck “rack”, we’ll see.

Ryan Frahm

May 4, 2022, 10:20:42 AM5/4/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Wally, sounds like what my Susie is going to be! The Tumbleweed rack should work out perfect! I have mounted one to a standard rear spaced bike as well as a new boost rear. They are a great rack. I just loaned mine to my cousin for the Colorado trail this summer or I’d be using it. Still might if he gives it back! I had the shorter version and it cleared 29x3 on a few different bikes so that is probably the size to go for.

Erik

May 5, 2022, 11:20:49 PM5/5/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I do plan to do some touring with mine.  That's the primary reason I sold my Susie and purchased the Gus.  I'm near the recommended weight borderline on the Susie and wanted to be able to add as much weight as I wanted.  I have a full complement of bags and racks.  The plan is to run the Tumbleweed T-rack to support some large saddlebags (Zeitgeist and/or a large Sackville) and to hold some RandiJo Big M.U.T. bags on the Manything racks I just ordered.  I love that the Tumbleweed rack has the three bolt attachments for the cargo cages.  I also have a GREAT frame bag that was custom made to fit a large Susie frame and will live on the Gus.  I have a front rack, too, but think I can get everything I need for a couple of nights in the woods with just the rear rack bags, frame bag, and a smallish handlebar bag. I don't like too much weight on the front on the trail.

Hoping we get an update soon.  I'll be done with my spring semester teaching in three weeks and have a couple of weeks off in late May / early June before summer school starts.  I'd love to spend all of it riding the new bike!

brendonoid

May 6, 2022, 2:13:45 AM5/6/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
The Hive mind here is real. I was thinking the T-rack would be perfect on the Susie since it isn't supposed to carry much weight. I thought a t-rack on the front fork (the strongest part) would be the safest way to have a basket and some manythings cages for a lightweight/overnighter/explore type of ride.
I hope there is some news in the email tomorrow.

Wally Estrella

May 6, 2022, 8:02:38 AM5/6/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
What about rim/tires?
For rims it'll be Velocity Cliffhangers.  For rubber it's either Schwalbe Johnny Watts or Surly Extra Terrestrials as options.
Here's hoping for an email update today...

Ryan Frahm

May 6, 2022, 10:46:37 AM5/6/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I think the Cliffhanger is about the only option for these things. I have a set of Teravail Ehline 2.5” mounted to mine ready to add tubeless sealant. Just a note, bot front and rear held air for over a week before starting to lose pressure without sealant. Very good sign I’d say.

I believe I read something where Grant said Velocity is working on a wider version of the Cliffhanger? Maybe I imagined it. But I would be interested in something like a 30i rim for going with a 2.8” tire in the future! Sometimes you want more float.

I am also hoping for an update today…

Kainalu V. -Brooklyn NY

May 6, 2022, 10:51:14 AM5/6/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
If anyone's wanting to tour with their hillibike and are looking for a Cliffhanger/SON dynamo wheel in 650b, look no further than here. I'm selling one for $3000 (Hubbahubbah attached, with all the other stuff you might expect)
-Kai

TP H

May 6, 2022, 7:21:58 PM5/6/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Made it to Oakland!

Richard Rose

May 7, 2022, 8:54:59 AM5/7/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I put a t rack on my Clem for this exact reason. Supports a Wald nicely & I can mount my OvejaNegra Bootlegger bags.

Sent from my iPhone

On May 6, 2022, at 2:13 AM, brendonoid <bre...@areyoualert.com> wrote:

The Hive mind here is real. I was thinking the T-rack would be perfect on the Susie since it isn't supposed to carry much weight. I thought a t-rack on the front fork (the strongest part) would be the safest way to have a basket and some manythings cages for a lightweight/overnighter/explore type of ride.
I hope there is some news in the email tomorrow.

Ryan Frahm

May 12, 2022, 4:53:09 PM5/12/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I keep checking my email and instagram to see if there is a picture of a ton of boxes delivered… I haven’t been this excited about a new bike in a while!

I did see the Sam frame that was just listed in the gold color my Susie will be. Their pictures look great and I think I might even be happy I ended up with the gold instead of the green! Ever more excited to see it in person!

Ryan Frahm

May 13, 2022, 5:50:23 PM5/13/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Later today, Monday at the latest! Who knows how long after that. But so much closer than before!

Erik

May 14, 2022, 10:13:20 AM5/14/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Well, if anyone was curious what the Gus would look like in Mermaid...the Blue Lug builds are starting to pop up on IG.  That is a seriously beautiful bike.  Can't wait for that phone call!

IMG_2622.jpeg
IMG_2621.jpeg
IMG_2623.jpeg

Johnny Alien

May 14, 2022, 10:45:54 AM5/14/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Beautiful

Hetchins52

May 14, 2022, 8:30:43 PM5/14/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Wow, that head badge "POPS"!

- David

Paul M

May 14, 2022, 10:57:45 PM5/14/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Looks like the instrument decals on the top tube are missing. Just wondering if the new frames are going to be that way? I just purchased a XL lime/green Wolbis frameset today- that's one big Hillibike!

Erik

May 15, 2022, 12:47:37 AM5/15/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
"Looks like the instrument decals on the top tube are missing..." Good question.  I don't see them in the other shots either, but these are not as detailed and don't really show that area.  But here is the full spectrum of colors.  I don't know how accurate the photos are to the colors, though.  I balanced them a little bit having seen all of these colors in person on other bikes but I know that photos don't do any of these colors justice as they all have subtle metallic elements and depth that doesn't come through.
IMG_2627.JPG
IMG_2629.jpeg
IMG_2630.JPG

brendonoid

May 15, 2022, 1:07:12 AM5/15/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
That is a good effort with the colour balance. Looks pretty spot on.

brendonoid

May 15, 2022, 2:38:50 AM5/15/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
The differences I can spot:
-The top tube decal has moved to the chain stay.
-The rear dropout is the new one that first appeared on on the Platypus, replacing the old one that had the ugly tube squish connection. There is a slight change to seat stay braze-ons positions probably due to this change.
-The Gus forks are no longer the complicated crowns of the original run (though I think that changed mid - original batch when there was a mistake with the forks sizes? my memory is fuzzy on this point.)
Is there anything I have missed? I wonder if there are any secret geo changes? Grant always seems to change something between batches, historically.

Paul M

May 15, 2022, 9:40:05 AM5/15/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
The musical instrument decals were originally on the top tube and non-drive side chain stays. Now the decals are on the drive side chain stays which a lot of riders wrap with cloth tape. You got to like the dark gold color and the Breezer style dropouts. Oh ya, and the dobro guitar decal. Thanks for the pictures!

TP H

May 15, 2022, 11:23:12 AM5/15/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
All the colors look amazing! I wonder if the GBWs will come with black headsets and the Susies silver? I’m hoping it’s a Blue Lug thing and they come silver through Riv.

TP H

May 15, 2022, 12:12:18 PM5/15/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
The more I look at it though, the black does compliment the black in the GBW head badge really nicely

Wally Estrella

May 16, 2022, 6:57:03 AM5/16/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yeah, it's growing on me w/ the black.  I went w/ mostly silver (black RD, cassette, chainring).  An all black component build would definitely be great!

Wally Estrella

May 16, 2022, 7:02:11 AM5/16/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
"The Gus forks are no longer the complicated crowns of the original run"
OH NOOOOO! The OG fork look was one of my favorite parts of the design!  Well, I'll just have to be happy w/ what's available and JUST RIDE!
Can't wait to get Gus in hand and build it up.

lconley

May 16, 2022, 7:57:06 AM5/16/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
The rear dropouts have two less threaded mounts (there are three on the original). Interesting how the smaller frame has the nicer scalloped seatstays at the seat tube connection. Note that the larger frames also have the extra water bottle mounts on the seat tube (both versions).

IMG_0675s.jpg

Laing

Joe Mullins

May 16, 2022, 11:49:12 AM5/16/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
If any Gus owners want a black Nitto threadless stem to match that head badge, I have one for sale! The ad is buried a few months back maybe I’ll bump it up.

Joe

On May 16, 2022, at 4:57 AM, lconley <lco...@brph.com> wrote:

The rear dropouts have two less threaded mounts (there are three on the original). Interesting how the smaller frame has the nicer scalloped seatstays at the seat tube connection. Note that the larger frames also have the extra water bottle mounts on the seat tube (both versions).

Ryan Frahm

May 18, 2022, 3:34:35 PM5/18/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Friday or Monday. Here it is Wednesday and I am getting anxious! I guess if it doesn’t get here before we make our move back north, I can swing by and pick it up on the way. Sure was hoping for a camp ride with it before we leave but that window is closing in a hurry. Sure hope we hear something soon!

Jared Wilson

May 18, 2022, 5:31:39 PM5/18/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
They made it to HQ on Monday, I'd expect you could call and arrange pickup as of now, I'll be grabbing my new Susie on Saturday!

Sent from my iPhone

On May 18, 2022, at 12:34 PM, Ryan Frahm <fra...@gmail.com> wrote:

Friday or Monday. Here it is Wednesday and I am getting anxious! I guess if it doesn’t get here before we make our move back north, I can swing by and pick it up on the way. Sure was hoping for a camp ride with it before we leave but that window is closing in a hurry. Sure hope we hear something soon!
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/54a7a27b-debc-4b77-8bfb-2dffd06f5b2bn%40googlegroups.com.

Ryan Frahm

May 18, 2022, 6:57:46 PM5/18/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
That is great news! If I was closer and/or had a car, I’d go get it!

Ryan Frahm

May 18, 2022, 6:58:19 PM5/18/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
And congratulations on your Susie!

TP H

May 22, 2022, 1:44:09 PM5/22/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Anybody got their’s yet?

Erik

May 22, 2022, 9:01:12 PM5/22/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yep!  Picked up the frame from headquarters on Wednesday, prepped the frame on Thursday, and finished the build yesterday.  Just got home from the first ride on my new large Gus and am in love.  I had a large Susie, but felt like I was too heavy for it.  I loved how it rode, but felt limited in how I could use it.  I sold it last December.  The Gus is a bit stouter and feels perfect.  I had an amazing ride and am blown away by how capable this bike is on technical single track and rocky trails.
Screen Shot 2022-05-22 at 5.52.32 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-22 at 5.52.50 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-22 at 5.53.14 PM.png

Ryan Frahm

May 23, 2022, 9:04:58 AM5/23/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Great looking build! Love all the Paul parts. Do you mind if I ask what your weight is that the Susie didn’t feel quite stout enough?

Erik

May 23, 2022, 11:17:57 AM5/23/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Don't mind at all.  I'm 210-215 most of the time.  I drop under 200 when I'm more active and can go higher when I'm buried at work and stressed out,  but the 210 - 215 range is more consistent.  The Susie didn't feel squishy or overly flexy in normal riding.  I was just aware of the give once I loaded it up and got it out onto more burly trails.  Some context for my comment: I bought these bikes to flesh out the void left by selling off my last mountain bike. I wanted something I could ride on the same trails I rode for years on bikes with suspension, mostly technical, very rocky singletrack.  I didn't really notice flex on the Susie outside of those specific conditions and it was likely just as much about my perception as it was about any actual flex.  It rode beautifully, I just wanted a little more room for gear and my own fluctuations in weight.   My office is a few hundred yards from the trailhead for Skyline Wilderness Park here in Napa.  The first mile or so of trails that I ride on a regular basis are really rocky and in bad shape as are some of my favorite trails deeper in the park.  Those sections of trail tend to define my off-rode bike preferences.

For context, this is the progression of bikes leading to the Gus: Seven Sola (titanium) > Salsa Horsethief (full sus) >  Susie > Gus. I liked oversize, stiff frames on my mountain bikes as the years went on.  The Susie was going to feel flexible by comparison on the same trails. I had originally planned on purchasing a Gus, but got impatient and found a Susie for trade from another member of this group last summer.  I took the Gus out on that first section of trail yesterday and had a blast.  As a steel bike it's more flexible than my titanium and aluminum mountain bikes, but a little stiffer than the Susie.  Not a huge deal, just a little point of preference!  The last shot in the attached photos is the Susie.  Same build as the Gus, except the stem.
Screen Shot 2022-05-23 at 8.02.05 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-23 at 8.01.29 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-23 at 8.02.44 AM.png

TP H

May 23, 2022, 3:00:14 PM5/23/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Looks and sounds awesome Erik - thanks for letting me live vicariously while I wait!

Ryan Frahm

May 23, 2022, 4:25:37 PM5/23/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Wow, thank you for all the detail Erik! Some beautiful bikes there but that’s Susie and your new Gus definitely look best to me. I can understand choosing the Gus at that weight with a load but I am happy to hear it wasn’t too bad still. I’m 170-180 lbs depending on how much time I can get out. My full camp gear isn’t more than 30 lbs on a heavier trip.  We have a 3 year old and I’m trying not to end up with a full on dad body! Haha. I am so excited for this bike! The new dropouts had me ordering a new extension hitch for my trailer. My daughter will be super bummed if it isn’t ready to roll right when I get it together!

Sounds like a beautiful place to get to ride regularly! Enjoy the Gus and keep some ride pictures coming, beautiful bike!

Paul Richardson

May 23, 2022, 6:54:48 PM5/23/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
frahm30,
can you say more about the extension hitch / trailer situation?  what is that, and why do you need it?  i hope to trailer up someday too.
thanks
paul
takoma park, md.

Paul Clifton

May 23, 2022, 9:49:21 PM5/23/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Some more really poppin' snaps  of Erik's bike up on Grant's Blahg: https://www.rivbike.com/blogs/grant-petersens-blog/eriks-large-gus

Amazing build Erik! It's really revived my excitement for the medium, orange Gus frame I have coming.

Paul in AR

Ryan Frahm

May 23, 2022, 10:10:52 PM5/23/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hey Paul,
have a Burley D’Lite single kid trailer. For quick release with hooded dropouts they sell an extension. I have been using thru axle setups with Robert Axle Project axles and they have worked great! I will report how this ends up working. Hopefully it works as well as expected!
Message has been deleted

Erik

May 24, 2022, 12:15:05 AM5/24/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thank you!  My boy and I stopped by the shop today in Walnut Creek with the Gus in tow.  Will helped me troubleshoot a slipping seat post and he took it for a spin around the building.  We discussed the build and he asked to take photos.  That was a huge compliment!  I love how friendly and nice all of the staff are any time I stop by.  It makes me so happy to support their company.

And the bikes aren't too bad, either.  I'll post up a ride report in a bit from my foray into the hills this evening.

Erik

Eric Daume

May 24, 2022, 8:31:59 AM5/24/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
What was the fix for the slipping seat post?

Erik

May 24, 2022, 11:16:15 AM5/24/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Knurling the seat post at the collar and about three inches down the insertion into the seat tube.  Worked like a charm.  I've had this done on a bike before when I was having a problem with slipping.

Wally Estrella

May 25, 2022, 12:51:16 PM5/25/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
My Gus has shipped!
MY GUS HAS SHIPPED!

MY!
GUS!
IS!
ON!
THE!
WAY!

Walnut Grove to Crusty Acres here in Maine! Which is typically 7 days.  Unfortunately I'm preparing for a three day bike trip next week-end, so muh Gus won't be ready for me to build up until I get back on June 6th.  That's going to be the longest three days.

Ryan Frahm

May 25, 2022, 1:06:24 PM5/25/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Great to hear they are starting to ship Wally! Can’t wait to see the build!

Did you have them prep it at all or just ship it as it came?

Wally Estrella

May 25, 2022, 1:12:26 PM5/25/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Vanilla order of just frame/fork, ship it out.
Add in a couple of days to frame save it, flip it, flop it, glop it up!   Here's hoping I get it by next Tuesday/Wednesday.  It'll leave me a couple of days to do that before I head out.  Then it'll be ready when I get back :)

Invisible

May 25, 2022, 1:45:50 PM5/25/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
This is the first I'm hearing that you can have tubes knurled on the aftermarket... how did they do it?

brendonoid

May 26, 2022, 1:42:11 AM5/26/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
My Gus has shipped!
MY GUS HAS SHIPPED!

I'm sitting here in the other side of the world wondering how much longer I have to wait for that email from riv. Then I have to wait for it to ship to the other side of the planet. Sigh.

Mackenzy Albright

May 26, 2022, 11:14:40 AM5/26/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I purchased a used Clem frame this spring. But my wheel build is finally being finalized at the shop. So I am just going to join in on the collective excitement of new bikes.

Doug H.

May 26, 2022, 4:47:15 PM5/26/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Tell us about your wheel build MacKenzy! I have a mismatched set on my Clem. The stock Alex rim on the rear and a Rich built Velocity Cliffhanger with a Kasai dynamo front wheel.
Doug

Mackenzy Albright

May 26, 2022, 5:47:38 PM5/26/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Since parts are hard to come by I had a bike shop friend help me scramble together a build. I had spline disc XTR rear hub in my possession, the shop had a lightly used SON disc hub, which was reasonably priced, and the only rims I could access to fit decent sized tires were Alex Adventurers 2. So that is how they went together! My friend had to cut all the spokes, I think just using what is laying around the shop. But this is the most bang for the buck option we could come up with - and think it will be entirely adequate and utilitarian!  I am trying not to build this bike up flashy at all. I cannot wait to see builds being posted. :)

Erik

May 27, 2022, 12:58:57 AM5/27/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Just the seat post, not the seat tube.

Wesley

May 27, 2022, 12:14:45 PM5/27/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yes, the seat post. Still, I wonder: how did they do it?

Eric Schoenfeld

Jun 2, 2022, 12:29:39 PM6/2/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I got mine on Friday!  Already had a few rides, and so far it's an absolutely perfect bike.  It's decked out for trail riding, as I'm going to try to keep up (ish) with some friends on their soft tails.

It's somehow both tank-like and nimble.  I dunno how that's possible, but I love it :).  Pic from Diablo area below:

IMG-1375.jpg

Michael Connors

Jun 2, 2022, 12:29:50 PM6/2/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I recently bought Atlas rims and Sapim spokes directly from the Velocity website for my upcoming Atlantis.

Ryan Frahm

Jun 2, 2022, 12:54:58 PM6/2/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Ordered some 2 piece Silver cranks when they came in stock. They were going to ship them with my frameset to save some waste. Got the shipping confirmation and was so excited! Looked at the package details and it isn’t heavy enough for both. The wait continues… At least I have another part to set on my pile and stare at when they show up today! Haha.

Wally Estrella

Jun 2, 2022, 1:35:38 PM6/2/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Lovely build!  is that an 11 speed cassette?  I'm going 1x11 with Shimano (11-51) cassette and RD.

GREAT NEWS! My Gus arrived yesterday (6-1).
VERY GOOD news! He's getting framesaved before this week-end.
Good news! I'm finally going on that bikepacking trip in Cape Cod that's been in the planning for a couple of months now.
News! That trip is this week-end
Bad news! No build up of Gus until Monday after work!

Ryan Frahm

Jun 2, 2022, 1:53:34 PM6/2/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Beautiful shot and build Eric, looks great! The color really looks nice in the sunlight.

Ryan Frahm

Jun 2, 2022, 1:54:19 PM6/2/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Exciting news Wally! Can’t wait to see it built up!

lconley

Jun 3, 2022, 1:02:59 PM6/3/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
This is a knurling tool from Stein Tools   - Riv sells the Stein headset presses  (shown knurling a headset crown):

Knurling tool.JPG

Laing

Ryan Frahm

Jun 9, 2022, 9:40:39 AM6/9/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
My Susie frame is on the way! Scheduled for delivery tomorrow. Unfortunately, I’m out of town for the weekend. Should be able to get it together just in time to put it on the rack and head to Washington next weekend though. If I’m lucky, it might fit in the moving truck. I hate the idea of putting it on the rack before I even get a real ride in! Either way, so excited for the bike. And the move back north.

Jared Wilson

Jun 10, 2022, 1:16:55 PM6/10/22
to RBW Owners Bunch

I figured we would have seen some builds by now, so I'll start us out :)

IMG_4667.JPG

Wally Estrella

Jun 10, 2022, 1:22:49 PM6/10/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Mine thus far….
Some frustrating moments  so I stopped while I was behind last night.   Attempting to finish it now…. :)image0.jpeg

Wally Estrella

Jun 10, 2022, 2:31:21 PM6/10/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Ok.  Just finished the initial build and trail trials for a few miles.  Add a few more trinkets, racks, basket, bag and I’m ready for an S24O
image0.jpegimage1.jpeg

brendonoid

Jun 10, 2022, 9:09:28 PM6/10/22
to RBW Owners Bunch

That XL limeolive Susie is so perfect! Mine is currently sitting in customs hopefully will arrive early next week. I am also surprised at the lack of builds being posted.
That Gus is looking nice too!

Ryan Frahm

Jun 15, 2022, 4:45:26 PM6/15/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
947F59C2-D03D-454A-A230-EA980F6701F4.jpegFF0B1F2D-CC55-43E6-8BE8-C980832454ED.jpegJust got back in town to spray the frame last night. In the middle of packing for our move Sunday so this is all I was able to get done this morning. The color is beautiful up close!

brendonoid

Jun 17, 2022, 7:57:45 AM6/17/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
It has been a crazy week but I managed to get a start on the build this afternoon. The fillet brazing and paint on this bike is truly amazing in person.
I am so glad that I'd missed out on the larges and been forced to go with the XL, turns out it is the perfect size for me.
Sorry for the poor photo courtesy of my fluoro tube lit garage.
DSC_0126.JPG

Ryan Frahm

Jun 17, 2022, 7:22:02 PM6/17/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Looks great Brendon! I like the purple bits with the green, very nice!

Wesley

Jun 17, 2022, 7:30:52 PM6/17/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Volvo 240 has got to be the Rivendell of cars.

Daniel MacPherson

Jun 20, 2022, 2:32:58 PM6/20/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Please see attached for my Hillibike. First time Riv Owner. I always wanted a Riv bike and finally pulled the trigger with the Susie. I will mostly use it for commuting but maybe the occasional gravel trail.

Daniel MacPherson
Tallahassee, Fl

File.jpg

Patrick Moore

Jun 20, 2022, 3:33:57 PM6/20/22
to rbw-owners-bunch
Brendon: A Riv cuddling up to a Volvo 240? That marriage will last.

I've never owned a Volvo, but my brother, who drives 35X more in a year than I do (me, no more than 500 miles per year), and traveled several times per year between LA and ABQ until he moved to latter, owned several of these, all hi-miles, and swore by them. Apparently, almost as good as old Toyotas.

What are those tires?

Daniel: G-Ones! I can't read the tire size; 650B or 700C? 60s for certain.

If those G-Ones are anything close to as nice as the ineffably wonderful lightest-model Big Ones, then those are very, very nice tires indeed. What model G-One, and how do you find them?

Patrick Moore, who just had a nice early-monsoon, cool-temp, mixed pavement/dirt ride on the 700C X 60 Big One-shod Matthews 1:1.

Paul Clifton

Jun 20, 2022, 6:11:37 PM6/20/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Lots of nice builds so far!! I'm have a hard time getting a good photo, but here's mine anyway. I assumed a black headset would come with black spacers, but no such luck. And the 90mm stem is WAY too short, so that's getting swapped too. Basically lots of dialing in, but from what I can tell this is going to be a most excellent bike.  Oh, and for the record, the bottom bracket cable guide screw is too long for 30mm crank spindle, so I had to cut that down, and the tires BARELY clear the Paul Motolite brakes and the Motolites wouldn't be a great choice for a build with fenders on this frame either. The head tube is the size of my forearm!

Gus-first-build.jpg

Patrick, since I know you'll ask :) Those are the 27.5 x 2.8" G-ones (Evolution so not light). I've been riding the 650 x 60mm Big Ones (light skin) for about 2 years and have a year on some 29x3.0 WTB Rangers. I'm pretty sure these 2.8" G-ones will handle the deep dry sand in Florida without any problem and roll about as well as either of the others. I think I'll like them better than the Rangers without giving up much, although the 29 vs 27.5 thing is going to play a roll in that. I also have a set of the 57mm G-ones for this bike, so I'll have more comments after I get some more miles in.

Paul in AR

Daniel MacPherson

Jun 21, 2022, 12:29:45 PM6/21/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
700cc tires. 2.3 inches  G-One Speed Light Tires. Very little tread so they are quick.

So far I love the feel of the bike (very comfy). It feels surprisingly light given its length and steel nature. My only issue is some self-steering issues while turning, but I don't know if that's due to headset issues, the design of the bike, or the tires. Anyone else experience these issues ?

Sincerely,

Daniel M
Tallahasee

Wally Estrella

Jun 21, 2022, 12:51:44 PM6/21/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
no issues on my Gus for self-steering.  I was riding no-hands on straights and even into a few gradual corners.

Daniel MacPherson

Jun 21, 2022, 1:13:47 PM6/21/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Okay. Maybe it is the headset. What tires are you using?

Daniel

Paul Clifton

Jun 21, 2022, 1:51:19 PM6/21/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Daniel,
I haven't had any self-steer on my Gus yet, but on my Baby Bike with 2.3" Big Ones, self steer was always when the tires were under-inflated. There's a sweet spot on those tires, but they're so big a plush that it's easy to ride them a little too low. I'd give them 5 more PSI and see how that feels (if the headset seems allright ...).

Paul

Joe Bernard

Jun 21, 2022, 2:39:04 PM6/21/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
This, and also per my brief dalliance with a Susie..the front end has a slack angle for trail riding which can feel a bit floppy if you're used to more road-oriented Rivs.

Joe Bernard

Daniel MacPherson

Jun 22, 2022, 4:21:29 PM6/22/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Okay. It was the headset. I got my mechanic friend (30 years of experience) to fine tune the headset and he did a marvelous job. Nice smooth ride, no more flop.  I decided grips instead of newbaums tape.
IMG_1198.jpg

Michael Baquerizo

Jun 22, 2022, 10:13:54 PM6/22/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I notice a lot of black cliffhangers being used on these...do people know something i don't, or are they just gonna let those brake pads run their course on the rim?

Richard Rose

Jun 22, 2022, 10:42:17 PM6/22/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Machined braking surfaces?

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 22, 2022, at 10:13 PM, Michael Baquerizo <mbaqu...@gmail.com> wrote:

I notice a lot of black cliffhangers being used on these...do people know something i don't, or are they just gonna let those brake pads run their course on the rim?

brendonoid

Jun 23, 2022, 3:41:58 AM6/23/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Re: the rims, Supply issues mean just getting what I can get and I'm happy. Non machined black 36hole was all I could get.
Honestly since using non-machined rims 12 years ago I have come to prefer them that way. Other than feeling the rim join during braking the first few miles it wears even and you end up with a set of rims that just plain last longer because there is more material to wear than on a machined sidewall.

Paul Clifton

Jun 23, 2022, 6:05:11 PM6/23/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I bought these wheels fully knowing that the brakes would scrape the black off eventually, and I'm totally OK with that. After I scored the frame in the presale, I started looking for wheels and found this Cliffhanger/Deore set at one of the usual spots for less than $250. It has disc brake hubs, but so what for that price. And the all black just kind of inspired the build anyway ...

I think this bike will break in nicely :) I hope the brake pads break in soon; the squeal is horrendous. Any tips for setting up Motolites with the Salmon pads that come with them?

I now know exactly why I chose the Gus over the Suzie. This bike will haul anything over anything.
20220622_223557.jpg
Paul in AR

Bill Lindsay

Jun 23, 2022, 8:45:42 PM6/23/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I ran salmon brake pads with non-machined sidewall Cliffhanger rims for a while on my 650B Atlantis.  The braking itself was horrible and the squealing unacceptable.  These were Salmon inserts on Shimano CX70 brakes.  I switched back to the stock Shimano black inserts, with no other brake adjustment at all (since it was just sliding in inserts), and the braking improved dramatically and the squeal was gone.

Salmon brake pads work well in most situations (in my experience) but not all situations.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

Daniel MacPherson

Jun 23, 2022, 9:04:43 PM6/23/22
to RBW Owners Bunch

Not many options for wide-rimmed tubeless compatible rims that can handle

V-brakes unfortunately. I had a QBP watchlist set-up between the cliffhanger rim and the Velo Orange Voyager rim. QBP received 3 cliffhanger rims one day in January and I snatched it up.

I’m having squealing issues as well with my kool stop pads. If it continues I’ll put back the stock black Avid pads.

Daniel M

Tallahassee

brendonoid

Jun 24, 2022, 6:30:18 AM6/24/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have found that the thin line salmons, when working, are great pads but by far the fussiest to setup. Getting them to be quiet can require such ludicrous amounts of toe-in that the pad wont last more than 1000 miles. One trick that has worked previously worked is cleaning the pads themselves with isopropyl and then with hot detergent water. Not one or the other. Both, in that order.
I am trying the grey cheapy pads that riv started selling with Neo-retros on my Susie and the setup was painless, and the braking is far improved to my previous experience with Neo-retros.
Sometimes everything just works, sometimes It doesn't, and if I could tell which was which in advance I'd never learn anything.

Wally Estrella

Jun 24, 2022, 7:59:35 AM6/24/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm running Paul Motolites and the Kool Stop mountain pads, in salmon, for my Gus.  No issues for fit or squealing.

Paul Clifton

Jun 24, 2022, 8:07:10 AM6/24/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Good to know the Salmon pads squeal for lots of people. This isn't my first fight with salmon pads on motolites, but it's the first time I asked about it. I'll just swap out the pads like usual, and there will prob be a free for shipping salmon pads post here once I get everything sorted out. I have at least 2 sets to get rid of now.

Wally, the dual compound mountain pads are my go to. I haven't had any problems with them squealing before. There must be something about the shape of the thinlines that leads to the squeal.

Paul

Joe Bernard

Jun 24, 2022, 2:21:20 PM6/24/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I use the "e-bike" Kool Stops on my Motolites which work fabulously, but they're thick and make pulling the front wheel on my roadish fork (Riv custom) a pain. I may try the short gray cheapies on the front, I'm tired of wrestling with these.

Ryan Frahm

Jun 25, 2022, 1:11:54 PM6/25/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
1DE74431-611C-4C5D-9711-56E530A91BA0.jpeg

Still have some fine tuning to do but it rides great! Could have probably gone for the longest stem. Older XT derailer I had planned on for the front was a no go. Hooked up my daughter’s trailer and did a neighborhood lap with it empty, so far so good. The bike feels like it has suspension over small bumps. Really looking forward to a real ride, hopefully in the morning!
It is loading more messages.