Personal 'Grip of the Gods' variations

Jason Fuller

Aug 7, 2020, 2:53:44 PM8/7/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
So Grant swears by the cheap finger grips with felt and twine, but I have my own version I've finally perfected in my eyes. It's an ESI silicone chunky grip (which I love the feel of when dry, but they're dang slippery if they get wet or your hands sweat) with denim wrap. All the comfort of the foam grip, and a really lovely soft but grippy feel, both wet and dry. I had leather cord so that's what I used to finish it with. I haven't tried Grant's version, so I can't truly compare, but I am very happy with my version.

Do you have your own personal cobbled-together grip system that you swear by? I think the only prerequisite here is that it's a combination of things, not just a single product.

IMG_20200806_193757.jpg

Full bike photo attached is pre-denim when I was only partially happy with the ESI grips.
IMG_20200804_200453.jpg

Brett Callahan

Aug 7, 2020, 5:06:54 PM8/7/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
That looks amazing, and I bet it's as functional as it is good looking.

How's the denim do when wet? Is it denim bar tape?

Ed Fausto

Aug 7, 2020, 7:00:22 PM8/7/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
A bit off topic, what model are those handlebars?

Jason Fuller

Aug 7, 2020, 7:17:00 PM8/7/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Cheers Brett!  It's denim bar tape from Analog, although I bet you could do it with the leftovers of a jorts conversion if you don't mind some loose ends. The denim is great when wet - still just as grippy, soft, and a nice warmth to it. I live in a very wet climate so that's an important feature for sure!

Ed, the bars are MAP / Ahearne wide model (605mm).  I am quite pleased with them, the sweep is very ergonomic.

Andrew Turner

Aug 8, 2020, 9:47:48 AM8/8/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
My wife's bike turned out smarter than I was expecting! I used Vans /Cult grips but I cut a cm stripe off, then covered with newbaums. You can kinda see the flat spot it made where the cable would run so I can monkey with bar ends all I want without having to undo the grips.
Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 8.37.07 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 8.37.14 AM.png

tuolumne bikes

Aug 8, 2020, 7:33:09 PM8/8/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I don't have any special connections to the Gods, probably because of my cheapness, heresy, and laziness. Here's a couple things I've found work well with the foam/fake cork tape I find works so well.

A snip of inner tube turned inside out can cover the dreaded electrical tape with a mellower surface and no seam. When it falls apart, replace with another snip of tube. Stretch the tube over the bars, slip a small screwdriver inside the loop, and run it around the bar a few times to get the tube in place and even. The photo shows 28/35-ish tube. If you hate the look of black tape, there's a 50 percent plus chance you'll hate this too. Won't work well unless you finish at the ends of the bars.

Double sided carpet tape is incredibly sticky and a pain to work with, but it sure can hold bar tape in place. I've used it between a paddle grip and brake lever to hold a single loop of foam tape in place to match the foam tape wrapped forward of the lever. The foam is cut to length and width to fit between the grip and lever and around the bar with the seam facing down. The carpet tape is applied to the foam and trimmed before peeling off the facing and wrapping the foam around the bar. As long as the foam tape isn't stretched, it holds well. The carpet tape is also generally handy for spots where the bar tape needs some extra stick.

Carl
grip.jpg
carpet tape.jpg

Deacon Patrick

Aug 8, 2020, 8:27:14 PM8/8/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I don't like cushion or slippery grips, but I do like thicker grips than cotton alone. So I've settled for the past few years on a layer of cotton with a layer of leather. So far, very happy.

With abandon,
Patrick

Bones

Aug 10, 2020, 6:30:07 AM8/10/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I love newbaums wrapped bars but I can never stop monkeying with my cockpit and find myself wasting way too much time, money and material. So here is my solution, using an extra set of Lizard Skins Northshore Lock-on Grips I had lying around:
  • Pop off the lock rings
  • Remove the original silicone grip with a razor blade, cutting along the grid
  • Sand the remaining glue and gunk off
  • Measure a piece of felt or other padding material (also use it as a template and cut another one for the other grip)
  • Wrap the grip with electrical tape (inside out)
  • Apply the padding
  • Wrap with newbaums
  • Twine wrap the finishing end
  • Shellac
Now I can play with my cockpit whenever I want. I can also strip the tape off quite easily and rewrap them. Maybe someone sells these tubes and lock rings separately? If not they should...

Bones

Here are some pictures:

IMG_20200809_084900.JPG

IMG_20200809_085026.JPG

IMG_20200809_085255.JPG

IMG_20200809_085522.JPG

IMG_20200809_085655.JPG

IMG_20200809_090457.JPG

IMG_20200809_124110.JPG

IMG_20200809_125614.JPG

Kainalu V. -Brooklyn NY

Aug 10, 2020, 9:48:19 AM8/10/20
to RBW Owners Bunch

After a couple of years of wrapping Ergon grips with cotton wraps I've settled on a this checker/harlequin mashup. Harlequin is great for durability as it has that over/under that resists rolling of the edges and the checker end to deal with the inherent difficulties of wrapping the end of an already difficult shape. Changing colors is easy with the harlequin too, but it all ends up brown in the end...
-Kai
IMG_20200620_193557.jpg