MKS Bear Trap Pedals?

Justin Kennedy (Brooklyn, NY)

May 24, 2020, 8:24:33 AM5/24/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Anyone know what's up with the bear trap-like MKS's on this Wolbis from Blue Lug? Poked around the Blue Lug and MKS sites but couldn't find anything. They look pretty rad!

Screen Shot 2020-05-24 at 8.20.44 AM.png

Takashi

May 24, 2020, 10:04:20 AM5/24/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Blue Lug's blog says that they are new products from MKS, and says "Come to the store to see them."
So I think you will have to wait a while until they are listed on their online store.

Takashi

Justin Kennedy

May 24, 2020, 10:12:24 AM5/24/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Ah okay thanks. Hopefully in production and available stateside soon.

🤞

🤞

🤞

masmojo

May 24, 2020, 10:24:44 AM5/24/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
The bear traps are basically considered the first "mountain bike" pedals and they were basically IT until Shimano came out with their DX platform pedals.
I think most people love Bear traps until you've had them dig into the back of your calf a couple times. Also the rounded part on the end tends to get bashed in fairly easily.
It's a nice bit of nostalgia from people who are probably not old enough to remember them from 1981.

Justin Kennedy (Brooklyn, NY)

Jun 12, 2020, 10:35:18 AM6/12/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
In case you didn't see Will's email update yesterday, here are the new MKS bear trap pedals. Riv got 30 but only 8 left in stock as of this posting.

EricP

Jun 12, 2020, 10:22:57 PM6/12/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yes. My wife has a nice scar on the back of one calf from the Suntour version.

And with the DX pedals, I do believe they were available earlier, but only with 1/2" spindles for BMX. Those are still my reference for best early pedal. (Note, I never tried the Cook Bros.bear traps which had serious sharp points and which preceded all the others from what I can remember. California mountain bike experts will hopefully correct me on this. Was late to the party only getting my first mtn bike in 1984.)

Looks like Rivendell is already sold out. Hopefully they get more. Might get a set just for nostalgia sake.

Eric Platt
St. Paul, MN