Selling a frame

John Aydelotte

Sep 17, 2019, 9:50:27 PM9/17/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Question for the group:

After 10+ years, I have decided to part with my Atlantis.  Many reasons, most of which I won't go into here, but this 56cm frame has always been JUST a bit too small for me.  I recently rode a bicycle which fit like a glove and realized what I'd been missing.

Here's the question.  Many of the parts are worn - I have ridden the heck out of this thing for years, as a commuter, randonneur, utility bike...you name it.  I'm keeping the racks, moving the wheels to other bikes.  So this is just a frame.  Should I paint and sell, or sell as-is?

This frame has a fair amount of what Grant calls "beausage".  Scratches, surface rust, nicks, rubs, etc...  No significant damage.  The perfectionist in me wants to send it to Riv, have them paint it, and then sell.  My practical side thinks I won't recoup the cost in the final price.  Someone may not care about the wear-and-tear and may even want to paint it a different color.

What's the group consensus - sell as-is, or get it showroom-ready?

Thanks in advance,

John

Sky Coulter

Sep 17, 2019, 10:20:27 PM9/17/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
As is.  I think its too much money and work to repaint.

Sky in new west

Jeffrey B

Sep 17, 2019, 10:26:24 PM9/17/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Concur with Sky. Let new owner decide if they want to refurbish or “just ride” at lower price.

Ed Carolipio

Sep 17, 2019, 10:27:11 PM9/17/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Agree with Sky, sell it as is. It'll be much easier to move.

--Ed C.

PaulS

Sep 17, 2019, 10:30:29 PM9/17/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
As-is for sure. I’m sure it’s got a real nice patina.

How much, by the way?

Mark Roland

Sep 17, 2019, 10:51:07 PM9/17/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yeah, definitely. You don't install a built in swimming pool or redo the kitchen right before listing your house. Paint job for bike equals major expenditure that will not increase the value enough to cover the cost of the paint job, never mind the potential aggravation.

Ed Fausto

Sep 18, 2019, 4:22:12 AM9/18/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
"Sell as is!"
Let the potential buyer know the original condition and he can later decide to ride it "as is" or have it painted.

John Aydelotte

Sep 18, 2019, 7:33:54 AM9/18/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Well, that's a pretty solid consensus as nobody thinks a repaint is worth the cost.

Someone asked price.  I have no idea what these are worth.  I've seen entire bikes go for upwards of $1500, but the only frame I could find was sold on eBay for $1900 but it was a different color and in almost new condition.  I've already had a private contact who thought $800-1000 depending on how it looked.  Is that close?

Joe Bernard

Sep 18, 2019, 10:04:26 AM9/18/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I would guess less than $800 in the condition you describe, but it's a wild guess without seeing it. I think you should pick a starting price you can live with and do a FS post with pics. You'll know soon enough if your number is too high.

John Aydelotte

Sep 18, 2019, 9:23:30 PM9/18/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks for the input.  It's completely stripped down as of this afternoon.  I'm leaving the headset in (Shimano Ultegra) as it turns very smoothly and there is no play, and I won't have to take it to a shop to remove it.

I'll clean it up tomorrow afternoon, and hopefully have pictures by the weekend.

Thanks, everybody!

John

Drw

Sep 18, 2019, 10:46:36 PM9/18/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I think 700-1000$ is a fair range for f/f/headset. I think I paid 800 for a not pristine Toyo Atlantis with a couple extra parts (bb, seatpost, brakes maybe) and felt happy with the price.

Adam Leibow

Sep 19, 2019, 7:57:17 PM9/19/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
sell as-is. for reference i just sold a toyo atlantis ffhs in seemingly similar shape as yours for $700.

Matt Beecher

Sep 19, 2019, 10:50:37 PM9/19/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
$700?!?! Anybody got a 58 for sale? I’d gladly pay that for a used f/f/hs.

Best regards,
Matt Beecher
Oswego, IL

Sky Coulter

Sep 19, 2019, 11:06:29 PM9/19/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I’m with Matt. Anyone have a 61cm atlantis frameset in that ballpark, i’d be a happy new owner.

Sky in new west

John Aydelotte

Sep 21, 2019, 4:38:53 PM9/21/19
to RBW Owners Bunch

Ok, pictures are up.  Link is HERE

Once the parts were off and the frame was clean, there were actually more scratches, nicks, and rubs than I remembered.  Notably there is some nasty chain-suck damage on the right chainstay (I think that was the day I dropped my chain three times climbing a mountain near Moab).

The last picture shows the bubble I made in the seat-stay bridge using a too-long screw during my first fender-install.  You never forget your first fender install....

If there are parts of the bike anyone would like more detailed pictures of, just let me know.

Also are any of the interested parties in/near Colorado?  I'm in Denver and would happily deliver (if close) or meet half-way if not-so-close.

Still trying to figure out price, but should have that by late tomorrow.

John

Joe Bernard

Sep 21, 2019, 5:14:57 PM9/21/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Oh, you oversold the damage by a lot. Sure, it could use new paint someday, but as is it would make a great town and dirt bomber without the dreaded "hope I don't scratch it" anxiety. Somebody buy this!

Joe S

Sep 22, 2019, 12:15:31 PM9/22/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
700c or 650b?

On Sat, Sep 21, 2019 at 5:14 PM Joe Bernard <joer...@gmail.com> wrote:
Oh, you oversold the damage by a lot. Sure, it could use new paint someday, but as is it would make a great town and dirt bomber without the dreaded "hope I don't scratch it" anxiety. Somebody buy this!

Drw

Sep 22, 2019, 1:12:07 PM9/22/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yeah that paint is fine/expected. Should be no problem to sell.

George Schick

Sep 22, 2019, 4:05:43 PM9/22/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Joe - that's a good question and it will be interesting to see what the OP has to say about it.  In the meanwhile, however, here is a geometry chart from Riv that shows the Atlantis was made to be set up with either 700c or 26" wheels, the break between the two being at 56cm, which is listed as 26" w/ a 2.35" max tire width: http://www.cyclofiend.com/rbw/geometry.html

Apart from that, I have to say that I've run into many riders over the years who covet the Atlantis and would love to have one, but balk at the price.  If this is listed as-is in the price range recommended by posters thus far, you should have no problem selling it.

On Sunday, September 22, 2019 at 11:15:31 AM UTC-5, Joe S wrote:
700c or 650b?

On Sat, Sep 21, 2019 at 5:14 PM Joe Bernard <joer...@gmail.com> wrote:
Oh, you oversold the damage by a lot. Sure, it could use new paint someday, but as is it would make a great town and dirt bomber without the dreaded "hope I don't scratch it" anxiety. Somebody buy this!

Chris L

Sep 22, 2019, 4:26:15 PM9/22/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
If the 26" version of the 56cm Atlantis had about three extra cm of effective top tube, I would be all over that.  That would be close to my grail bike.

John Aydelotte

Sep 22, 2019, 4:51:08 PM9/22/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'll have to work out how much to ship it, but I'll ask $750 for the frame, fork & headset as shown in the pictures.

And this is definitely a 26" wheel bike.

Thanks everybody for the feedback.

John

John Aydelotte

Sep 22, 2019, 8:14:05 PM9/22/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
It's gone, folks!  That was quick, but thanks for all the interest!

jamison brosseau

Sep 24, 2019, 6:58:01 PM9/24/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Sky, PM sent