New Sam Hillbornes

Slacky Mac

Dec 1, 2022, 10:04:00 AM12/1/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Anxiously awaiting the new Sams to land on our shores and am obsessing over the potential build.  Perusing these pages with all of your experiences have really helped.  I thought the lime olive was for me until I saw the early photos of the HiHo Silver.  Smitten.

Anyone going in on these?  I feel like I am on baby watch!

Eric Marth

Dec 1, 2022, 11:29:16 AM12/1/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm not getting a new Sam, as I've already got one, but these colors look great. I scraped the images from the instagram post Will linked in his last email from House of the Rising Sun in Jakarta.

sam limeolive.jpg

samsilver.jpg

Brian Turner

Dec 1, 2022, 12:29:14 PM12/1/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I really want one of these, because the lime olive is so gorgeous, but I don't think I'll be able to fund another Rivendell so soon after building up my Gus just a couple months ago.
I might try to pick up a used dark gold Sam sometime in the next year or so, or maybe if someone is selling one from this batch.

Anyone want to take any bets on whether or not they've made any changes to the geometry and sizes available?

-Brian

Keith Paugh

Dec 1, 2022, 12:46:24 PM12/1/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I've been on high alert since the beginning of November. Can't wait. We're almost there.
I thought I was going silver till I saw how the olive turned out... hard decisions to be made.

Message has been deleted

Eric Marth

Dec 1, 2022, 7:02:16 PM12/1/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm sure everyone's seen it but Will included some pics of Riv-built Sams in the new colors with today's email update. Always good to have some pics in our threads. There's also a geo chart.

unnamed.jpg

unnamed-1.jpg

unnamed-2.jpg
On Thursday, December 1, 2022 at 1:49:40 PM UTC-5 EGNolan wrote:
Brian asked "Anyone want to take any bets on whether or not they've made any changes to the geometry and sizes available?"

My best guess, based on the location of the chainstay indentions is that they've increased those to more closely match the rest of the lineup. I've got a LCS (long chainstay) Cheviot, which I absolutely love, and a more normal, but lengthy for the time Bleriot, which I also absolutely love. I imagine there will be some folks bummed at not having shorter chainstay options, but we all saw this coming (and they may have even said as much at some point and I either didn't see it or forgot about it).

Eric
Indpls.

John Hawrylak

Dec 1, 2022, 7:30:34 PM12/1/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
2 stand outs on this batch of Sam H's from the geo chart:

The seatpost is a 26.8mm,  NOT a more standard 27.2mm.   This indicates the 28.6mm seattube wall thickness is 0.8mm vs a more standard 0.7.   The Butted section wall is probably 1.1mm or thicker.  Seems like Grant likes thicker walls at the BB, as has been mentioned in a previous post.  I do not recall a 26.8mm seatpost in the past for the Sam H.

The Chain Stay LENGTH varies from 45.5cm (near standard) for a 48/51cm frame to 48.5cm for a 60cm frame.  Seems RBW is trying to locate everyone at the same spot along the chain stay.  This was mentioned in a previous post, but in a funny way.  Seems like they decided to go with it.  Tall riders may feel a change.  Short riders less so.

John Hawrylak
Woodstown NJ

velomann

Dec 1, 2022, 9:58:35 PM12/1/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
"I do not recall a 26.8mm seatpost in the past for the Sam H."

My Dark Gold Sam from the last batch 2 (3?) years ago has a 26.8 seatpost diameter, so this isn't new.

Mike M

J S

Dec 1, 2022, 10:10:59 PM12/1/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I’m with you.  I’d trade my near mint orange for a silver in a heartbeat.

J S

Dec 1, 2022, 10:22:26 PM12/1/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
My bright orange from the batch before the Dark Gold is 27.2.

Ryan Stanis

Dec 2, 2022, 12:15:26 AM12/2/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Confirmed in the email sent out today, no geo changes from last batch. My 2018 Sam is 26.8, so as previously stated, not a new development for the frame. Wish I didn't already have one, the lime olive is quite possibly my favorite riv color I've seen, second maybe to the green Hunqapillars.

-R

Bill Lindsay

Dec 2, 2022, 11:16:50 AM12/2/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
For the voracious and anxious waiters of shipping containers:  I've stumbled upon a Rivendell Sam Hillborne catalog.  It's from one of the sidepull brake variants of the Sam Hillborne.  If anybody wants it, let me know and I can mail it to whomever.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

Eric Marth

Dec 2, 2022, 11:59:17 AM12/2/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
If anyone needs any prodding to take Bill up on his offer of a free catalog, it's this one here:

Ryan Bolesta

Dec 5, 2022, 2:46:26 PM12/5/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've been eagerly awaiting the Sam drop for a few months now, the new pics have me so pumped! This will be my first Riv if I'm lucky enough to get one. Looking to get the LImeOlive 60cm. Seems like the 60cm frames have been hanging around on some of the other recent drops, so fingers crossed.

Eliot Balogh

Dec 5, 2022, 2:47:36 PM12/5/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
What size JS ? :)

Houston Wilson

Dec 5, 2022, 2:47:53 PM12/5/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Bill,

I'd love the catalog!!
Houston Wilson
Los Angeles, CA

Paul Clifton

Dec 5, 2022, 2:56:38 PM12/5/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm not looking to buy a Sam, but I just glanced at the size chart on Instagram, and, wow, the sizing has changed dramatically over the years. My PBH is 82cm. That puts me on a 51cm Sam for this current batch. When I test rode one of the originals with caliper brakes, it was a 56cm I believe, and it fit perfectly. I haven't kept up with the geometry changes, but I'd really like to see what it's like to ride a 51cm frame and be at the top end of a size range for once. I bet the reach would be sublime.

Paul in AR

Slacky Mac

Dec 5, 2022, 3:06:47 PM12/5/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Let's hope Wednesday proves to be a great day for all those interested!  I've studied the size charts and glad I did.  I have a 59cm RB-1 which fits fine, yet the 57cm Sam has a higher standover.  The charts put me on a 54 Sam.   These bikes have a big front end!  Save a Silver one for me, please.

Drew Henson

Dec 5, 2022, 3:21:08 PM12/5/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I am planning to grab a 54cm one to replace my 2019 homer (58cm). haven't decided on color yet and they both look so good.

will be whipping up a sales post later but if anyone browsing might have interest in the homer let me know. it's a sublime ride with swept back bars but i want to try out a sam.

J S

Dec 5, 2022, 3:30:16 PM12/5/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Paul, my custom was 56cm measured by Grant, my Hillborne is 51cm and fits as it should.

Eliot Balogh

Dec 6, 2022, 12:41:51 AM12/6/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Do you folks think they will sell out quickly ?

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/CAPjfky-GaJ8kp97_cPVd0X-6M-5j_wFWwMmX2egk2CTA-omV_g%40mail.gmail.com.

Joe Bernard

Dec 6, 2022, 12:52:36 AM12/6/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yep. The folks who will never ride a mixte/step-thru haven't had a lugged Riv on the block in quite a while and these colors are spectacular. Don't doddle!

Johnny Alien

Dec 6, 2022, 8:17:13 AM12/6/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
It will sell well but I don't think we are going to see immediate sell outs on anything the way it had been happening.

Doug H.

Dec 6, 2022, 8:59:32 AM12/6/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I agree with Joe on this one. If a mixte/step-thru isn't for you then the Sam seems to be a great option. Those lugs and those colors are nice.
Doug

Eric Daume

Dec 6, 2022, 11:09:31 AM12/6/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I’m with Johnny. I think the market is cooling down.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/5bdf9db6-1e47-42a8-960e-8910cca71d66n%40googlegroups.com.

Edward Garnica

Dec 6, 2022, 11:18:17 AM12/6/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
But that green is causing it to heat back up

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/5bdf9db6-1e47-42a8-960e-8910cca71d66n%40googlegroups.com.

Eric Marth

Dec 6, 2022, 12:22:35 PM12/6/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'll be interested to see how quickly these move. The Hillbornes are such great bikes, adaptable for many purposes. I could definitely see the paint colors this round getting buyers excited. Nothing against 'em but the RBW blue, orange and harvest gold didn't do much for me. New colors are reaaaal good.

J S

Dec 6, 2022, 4:05:44 PM12/6/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Eric, I agree.  I do like the blue, have an Orange that I bought as it was the only one I could find when Riv was out, it is ok but not my favorite color. Love that new Silver.  My favorite colors are the Black (like your repainted one) and the new Silver, absolutely beautiful colors. There are probably others I have not seen but that silver has my vote.

Eric Marth

Dec 6, 2022, 6:58:36 PM12/6/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Joel — I might be forgetting a color here or there but... I think these new ones plus the black are my favorite paint colors for all the Hillbornes :)

I think these new colors will look especially good with some kinda warm-tones saddle (tan, brown), nice big tires with gum sidewalls and warm bar tape and grips! Subtle, timeless warmth. Just me, that's my thing, maxing out the neutrals.

J S

Dec 6, 2022, 8:59:19 PM12/6/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I’m with you Eric.  My Saluki which I got last winter is a taupe and it looks great with brown and grays.  If I was ready to sell my Hillborne I would order a Silver tomorrow.  But it makes no sense.  If someone was hot for a bright orange I could be tempted.

Drew Henson

Dec 7, 2022, 3:16:25 PM12/7/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
just grabbed a 54cm silver. i went into thinking i'd go for a limeolive but something about the very understated silver made me change my mind at the last minute.

i have an 87 cm pbh so i could have fit the 57 but i wanted to fall on the upper end of the fit range. really keen to see how this rides differently than my 2019 MIT Homer. now the fun begins... finding all the build parts!

Slacky Mac

Dec 7, 2022, 3:21:29 PM12/7/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Nice Drew.  I nabbed a 54cm Silver as well.  Already spoke with Vince.  Since their parts bin is deeper than mine I am going to have them build it up and leave my RB-1 shiny bits where they are.  #2 in line.  Someone out there is faaasssst.  :-)

Keith Paugh

Dec 7, 2022, 3:30:11 PM12/7/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Might have been me?

I got a Silver 54 as well. First Riv.
Excited and relieved.

I wonder how they are moving this round.
k.

On Dec 7, 2022, at 12:21 PM, 'Slacky Mac' via RBW Owners Bunch <rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Nice Drew.  I nabbed a 54cm Silver as well.  Already spoke with Vince.  Since their parts bin is deeper than mine I am going to have them build it up and leave my RB-1 shiny bits where they are.  #2 in line.  Someone out there is faaasssst.  :-)

DavidP

Dec 7, 2022, 3:55:03 PM12/7/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Here's what's left after ~50 minutes:
48cm, 1 silver, 6 olive
51cm, 5 silver, 8 olive
54cm, 1 silver, 5 olive
57cm, 1 silver, 1 olive
60cm, 6 silver, 6 olive

Seem to be selling way faster than the Platys (assuming a similar # of frames available, which seems reasonable as I believe they've said this is the most popular model). And if colors are equal silver is very popular.

-Dave

Keith Paugh

Dec 7, 2022, 4:46:20 PM12/7/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Out of curiosity, how’d did up that info?

k.

On Dec 7, 2022, at 12:55 PM, DavidP <dphi...@gmail.com> wrote:

Here's what's left after ~50 minutes:

CC

Dec 7, 2022, 4:49:45 PM12/7/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Drew,
I have the same PBH and grabbed an 87cm, which I was hesitant to get and now you have me second guessing my size decision. Ughh.

CC

Dec 7, 2022, 4:52:50 PM12/7/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Keith,
If you click on a size and color and then put in a high quantity, it will tell you that you can only add so many to your cart.

Keith Paugh

Dec 7, 2022, 7:08:11 PM12/7/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Of course.
Crafty.

Good sleuthing!
k.

Drew Henson

Dec 7, 2022, 7:10:04 PM12/7/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Sorry about that! I based my decision with my experience with the fit of my 2019 58cm Homer. The 57 cm sam has a longer reach/effective top tube than my homer and i wouldn't have been able to use drop bars i don't think (but swept back bars would easily work).

Drew Henson

Dec 8, 2022, 5:56:36 PM12/8/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
props to Riv for getting my frame shipped already! i'm sure they have a long list to go through.

too bad it'll be a while before i can get it rolling but i love picking out components.

Guy LeVan

Dec 8, 2022, 6:12:29 PM12/8/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
The HiHo silver looks wonderful, and will be a neutral enough palette to absorb plenty of colorful bits.  It is nice to see a different color on the Sam.  I’ve seen the LimeOlive on the Clem L, and it is dazzling in sunlight.  Both color options play well with the cream highlight paint, and you can hardly go wrong with either.  Looks like only the 57 in LimeOlive has sold out at this point.  HiHo……!

Paul Clifton

Dec 8, 2022, 9:04:50 PM12/8/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
There is what appears to be a first gen Hillborne  on the Atlanta Craigslist. Nice build. I wonder who's it is: https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/bik/d/decatur-rivendell-hillborne-blue-and/7565756188.html

Luke Hendrickson

Dec 18, 2022, 1:47:38 AM12/18/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I just saw the silver and lime irl yesterday at Riv. Man that lime sure is nice in-person.

Edward Garnica

Dec 18, 2022, 2:57:20 AM12/18/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Just built mine up and took it for a spin around the lake chabot trails. Beautiful ride.

Luke Hendrickson

Dec 18, 2022, 3:18:17 AM12/18/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Ah that’s lovely, Edward! The rack with the added rails is a nice touch. 💅🏻

Guy

Dec 18, 2022, 10:39:50 AM12/18/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Great looking build!  How did the HiHo Silver look in person?  Curious….

On Dec 18, 2022, at 1:18 AM, Luke Hendrickson <phendr...@paulpath.net> wrote:

Ah that’s lovely, Edward! The rack with the added rails is a nice touch. 💅🏻

Luke Hendrickson

Dec 18, 2022, 11:40:51 AM12/18/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Like the color of my Atlantis, it’s hard to capture. The best I can say is that it’s almost … radiant? There’s a warmth to the silver that makes it look better than other silvers I’ve seen. Also, I was decidedly not a fan of the LimeOlive but then saw it in person and like it even better than the HiHo!

John Rinker

Dec 18, 2022, 1:48:53 PM12/18/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yowza, Edward! That's a really beautiful build. I love the flash of red that the chainstay wrap adds to the limeolive. Very cool. Your Sam's got all the right proportions and with those albatross bars I'll bet it is a dream to ride!

Nicely done!

Cheers.

Davey Two Shoes

Dec 19, 2022, 9:49:45 AM12/19/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I snagged the last 54 Lime Olive, should be getting here Jan 3 since I'll be away. Cant wait! Let the parts obsession begin.