PSA: $700 Romulus (57cm) build in Hudson Valley.,NY

John W

Jul 20, 2019, 8:42:12 AM7/20/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
No affiliation. Seen on CL.

2001 Rivendell Romulus, steel frame made in Toyo shop in Japan.
I am 5'10 and you can see the setup for me in the pictures. Everything except the bags, pedals and bottle cages are included, even the bell. This is a wonderful country road bike, it will take 700x40c tires with the fenders off. A nice all day ride that can handle the hills, back roads, cow paths, and streets of the Hudson Valley and beyond.
It’s been a while since I posted anything to CL...so...if the ad is up it is still available, if thats all you want to know...no need to ask, I won’t respond.
Here is the build;
8 x 3 Shimano RSX (105) shifters
Nitto Stem
Nitto noodle bars
Nitto Seat post
Velo Orange hammered fenders
Sugino triple cranks, 170 arms,
Ckaris 8 speed front Der
Altus rear der
Leather Pearl Saddle
Shimano Ultegra hubs laced to Mavic Open Pro rims
custom bar wrap
Almost new Panaracer Gravel King tires

00e0e_83Ee6ZEwny6_600x450.jpg

Doug Bloch

Jul 20, 2019, 4:43:21 PM7/20/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Wow-screamin’ deal! Good thing it’s not local or my wife would be mad at me right now. My size even.

Doug
Alameda CA USA

Joe Bernard

Jul 20, 2019, 7:26:24 PM7/20/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Nice bike, odd listing. That sure looks like a 55 to me (I had one), and his seat height for 5'-10" matches my guess. Also there's no way that bike takes 40mm tires unless they're old Paselas with very optimistic labeling, and RSX and 105 are not the same model shifter.

Mark in Beacon

Jul 20, 2019, 8:42:21 PM7/20/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hopefully he'll take the proceeds and put it toward a bike that fits him better.

Kevin Mulcahy

Jul 20, 2019, 10:22:05 PM7/20/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Fit looks fine to me, and typical for many road bikes I’ve seen in this group.

Joe Bernard

Jul 20, 2019, 10:36:14 PM7/20/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yeah I think it's ok, it was a bit big on me (smallest they made). I'm just not sure that frame is a 57, but maybe.

John Woo

Jul 20, 2019, 11:17:52 PM7/20/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Quoting a message I received from the seller:

“the seat tube, measured from center of BB to top of top tube is 57cm“

> On Jul 20, 2019, at 10:36 PM, Joe Bernard <joer...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Yeah I think it's ok, it was a bit big on me (smallest they made). I'm just not sure that frame is a 57, but maybe.

spencer robinson

Jul 21, 2019, 6:15:27 PM7/21/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi All,
The bike that is listed on Hudson Valley CL is mine, you can ask me any questions you might have.
The bike is in fact a 57cm.
I am 5’10” tall and the bike pictured is setup for me, it fits beautiful. I have done all day rides on it and it has been my choice for high mileage excursions.
In a pinch for a second bike, in the 11th hour, I rode this bike in the Farmers Daughter Gravel Grinder, with the single track, mud and hills 2 seasons ago, I ran it with Clement 700x40 gravel tires, on Velocity A23 rims, with tubes. The fat tires had to be depressurized to pass by the calipers but they did fit. The bike was designed to take as much as 700x38 according the the brochures. 700x40 were very close, but only on the calipers, otherwise, it seemed fine.
The bike Is being sold with a very nice wheelset, the old style Open Pro rims with nice fresh gravel kings, the smooth ones in 700x32.
The shifters are vintage RSX, as I am sure that you guys know, RSX was a 7 speed shifter, however they share DNA with the 105 shifters. I sent these shifters down to Jim in Duncan SC and along with completely rebuilding them, he replaced the “guts” on the right hand with 8 speed 105. So now instead of a spacer on the free hub, it runs 8 speed on the rear....pretty cool trick, search Shimano shifter repair on facebook, you can find Jim on eBay as well. Sheldon used to use him back time.

Joe Bernard

Jul 21, 2019, 7:40:25 PM7/21/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
So it's actually an RSX shifter modified to 105. Well ok then!

Mark in Beacon

Jul 22, 2019, 6:48:18 AM7/22/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I did the Farmer's Daughter that year on a bike with centerpulls and 700 x 38-43 tires (can't remember which set I had on at the time). The main problem with a non-canti or disc setup is the mud buildup under and along the brake arms. I hosed off at the rest stop after partaking of the whiskey-soaked Swedish Fish and pickle juice.

I saw this when you first listed it and was tempted as it's a great deal and I am the same size.I think just too many similar bikes, (though this one outclasses them).

I suppose presumptuous of me to claim the bike was not a good fit. That would be based partly on my prejudices, including a dislike of super tall stems on a traditional drop bar bicycle.

I think maybe the angle of the photo, and the angle of the seat and the fact that the sides are cutaway, adds to the illusion that there is a decent amount of seatpost showing. My preference would be to have less seatpost so the handlebars could come down as well. I realize this is the Riv list and that amount of quill is not unusual.

Can you provide the saddle height shown in the photo?  I ride 57-59cm bikes and I'm the same height as you but don't have that much seatpost showing. All 5'10" people are not the same!

spencer robinson

Jul 22, 2019, 9:34:39 PM7/22/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Mark, measuring from the center of the crank to the approximate top of the saddle, measuring up the seat tube is about 79cm.
Stand over is around 81. Hard to get exact, trying to balance the bike and holding the tape measure, while not letting my reading glasses slide down my nose.
I measure the seat tube, center of crank to top of top tube to be 57 cm and the top tube center to center is over 56, maybe 56.5.
Best to see in person, if your interested, I am not that far north of Beacon, we could meet at the walkway over the Hudson, you can take her for a spin.

Mark in Beacon

Jul 24, 2019, 2:05:46 PM7/24/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Sorry for the tardy reply Spencer, just saw this. That's what I suspected, two different body types. My saddle is generally at 73 centimeters. Which means this bike I
s probably the perfect size for me. But as I said, I have other bikes that are too similar for me to be tempted by trying this one out. Hopefully I'll see you at the Meetup in Minnewaska this September!

spencer robinson

Jul 30, 2019, 5:18:07 PM7/30/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
The Romulus has Been sold