Betty Foy Sizing & Search

matt miller

Oct 24, 2022, 3:00:06 PM10/24/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hello all,

I've been looking for a step-through for my wife. She specifically likes a Betty Foy, but really anything "pretty" would work. She's not really in to changing gears a lot, and this would also be for commuting and trail rides <10 miles. Does this crew have any ideas/bikes?

Also, it's tough to find sizing on the Betty Foy bikes. Does anyone have old material or could chime in with their size? I've searched and searched, but been coming up empty.

She's 5'4" with a 77 PBH.

Thanks,
Matt in STL
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Jeffrey Arita

Oct 24, 2022, 5:21:40 PM10/24/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
My wife had a 58cm Betty Foy.  She is about 5' - 6" tall and when we visited Rivendell, they advised that as her size.  We were a bit hesitant, but upon receiving the completed bike it fit her well since it is a step-through.  As noted, Riv recommended (at that time) Albatross handlebars - they come back toward the rider and it is nice and upright, so good fit is not too difficult.  Thus, I think your wife would fit a 52cm no problem.  My wife did use it for commuting purposes, too (until we plugged the plug).

Yes, I think it might be a bit hard to find a Betty Foy.  Maybe the Platypus?

Best regards,

Jeff
Claremont, CA

Bicycle Belle Ding Ding!

Oct 24, 2022, 7:22:23 PM10/24/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I’m 5’6” and my Betty Foy was actually a 55. Riv changed the sizing over the years; I think my Betty was in their final run. I think it will be really hard to find that bicycle, but a 50 cm Platypus is a wonderful bike, and it is available from Rivendell now.

Leah Peterson

Oct 24, 2022, 7:35:50 PM10/24/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
55 Betty vs 55 Platypus
image0.png
image1.jpeg

On Oct 24, 2022, at 7:22 PM, Bicycle Belle Ding Ding! <jonasa...@gmail.com> wrote:

I’m 5’6” and my Betty Foy was actually a 55. Riv changed the sizing over the years; I think my Betty was in their final run. I think it will be really hard to find that bicycle, but a 50 cm Platypus is a wonderful bike, and it is available from Rivendell now.

Doug H.

Oct 24, 2022, 8:48:39 PM10/24/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I agree the 50 cm Platypus would seem to be a fit. And, they are in stock as Leah said which is unusual as of late. Leah has shared her two builds, one fast and one for hauling stuff. They are so versatile!
Doug

Message has been deleted

John Hawrylak

Oct 24, 2022, 10:27:06 PM10/24/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Matt

Have you considered a 1986 to 1990 Schwinn World Sport or 1986/87 Traveler Step Thrus or a 1984 to 1987 Schwinn LeTour Step Thru??  The Step thru looks like a Betty but without the extra set of stays behind the TT/ST lug, scan of 1985 Schwinn catalog of a World Sport step thru

Both use 4130 double Butted TT/DT (lugged) and a 1020 tubular fork & have 27" alloy rims.   The LeTours used 4130 stays.  Craiglist is a good source with prices in the $125 to $250 range.   Common size frame size is 19" C-T (48cm) with some 21" frames.   A 19" should fit her 5'4".   Schwinn gave 26# for the LeTour and 27# for the World Sport.   Panaracer still has the Pasela in a 27" tire.

She may appreciate the lower cost.

The World model is a 1020 LUGGED frame and weighs about 28# which is not bad and have 27" alloy rims in 1985 and after.   There tend to be more World's vs World Sport/Traveler simply because they cost less

John Hawrylak
Woodstown NJ

John Hawrylak

Oct 24, 2022, 10:31:22 PM10/24/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Matt

The World Sport used 1020 stays.

John Hawrylak
Woodstown NJ

Garth

Oct 25, 2022, 6:07:05 AM10/25/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Here's the orignal geo for the Foy. Rivendell never posted any stack/reach info for the Betty. If your wife likes the Betty, stick with that.  I can see why as the paint job is awesome. There's nothing worse than asking for cookies and someone offers you saltines.
original_geometry.pdf

lconley

Oct 25, 2022, 8:48:17 AM10/25/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Those were the early Bettys. The later Bettys came in different sizes. Mine is a 60:
RIV.JPG

Laing

David Person

Oct 25, 2022, 2:31:01 PM10/25/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Eric Marth posted a really nice video of the SR mixte he rebuilt for his partner.  Converted the original 27" wheelset to 700c. Came out beautifully.  A good reminder of the utility of older bikes, if they were well cared for.

Brian Turner

Oct 25, 2022, 2:49:17 PM10/25/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Last year, we had a Soma Buena Vista mixte built up for my wife, and it is an incredible bike. So much so, that I often find myself riding it around the neighborhood when she's unaware. She rides the same size frames as me (54cm), but she doesn't like the height of traditional top tubes, so we looked for a nice step-through or mixte design and then found the Buena Vista. Nicely made with Tange steel and really cool details. Just something to consider.

Tom Wyland

Oct 25, 2022, 3:27:47 PM10/25/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I would recommend a Handsome Devil step-through aka She Devil.  It's going to have a little more lively steering than a Riv due to lower trail. The frame itself is also not as nice and a little heavier than a Riv Platy/Betty, but it still has very clean welds.  No lugs.  You could also build it with a IGH rear hub because it has semi-horizontal rear dropouts to tension the chain. The folks at Handsome are good people to work with. The Devil was originally a nod to Bridgestone bikes.

I had a Handsome Devil for years all decked out in Riv Style before I got my Platy.

Tom

matt miller

Oct 25, 2022, 10:23:44 PM10/25/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Wow. You all are amazing. I've got sizing info, plenty of other models to check out, and many ideas for builds. Those Soma are kind of cool. The Schwinn are available. Never heard of SR. I don't have Eric's skill, and I'm 100% she doesn't want me to commit the time to get there. (Although I some non-parenting quiet time in the basement over the winter sounds awesome!) I'll see what she thinks. She definitely wants a step-through. (I'm sure I'll be there myself in 5-10 years.)

Roberta

Oct 26, 2022, 6:57:09 AM10/26/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
It’s not a Betty Foy, but since you are open to different options, Platypus is available now and rides beautifully. I also have a She Devil that Tom mentions and it’s also a great bike that I use for commuting (I trade off with Platypus).

Roberta

Tom Palmer

Oct 26, 2022, 8:44:01 AM10/26/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I second and third the Buena Vista as I have 2. Very nice bikes from quick road rides to grocery shopping to gravel road rides.
Tom Palmer

original build.jpg
Port Mann 3.jpg

J S

Oct 26, 2022, 9:15:11 AM10/26/22
to RBW Owners Bunch

BRETT ROBINSON

Oct 26, 2022, 3:54:47 PM10/26/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have (or, my wife has) a Betty Foy, which I purchased here from Bicycle Belle Ding Ding. I'd consider selling (to fund a Clem or Platypus for her), feel free to email me.

BRETT ROBINSON

Oct 26, 2022, 3:55:09 PM10/26/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Ah, but what if he could find THAT actual bike!

Leah Peterson

Oct 26, 2022, 4:23:32 PM10/26/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Brett, What are the chances?!? The very bike!!! Aren’t the Riv mixtes sublime? Let me know if you get a Platypus. Will be fun to know where the Betz ends up.

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 26, 2022, at 3:55 PM, BRETT ROBINSON <bpro...@gmail.com> wrote:

Ah, but what if he could find THAT actual bike!

Roberta

Oct 26, 2022, 6:24:16 PM10/26/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Brett,

The ACTUAL BicycleBelleDingDing ex-Betty bike???  I think that was the most beloved Betty ever.  Matt's wife should get this, but ONLY if your wife gets the oh, so awsome Platy.

BTW, I never heard of Rivendell until my searches about 6 years ago found messages about the Betty Foy and how it was the best bike ever made!  I found one selling for $4k and everyone was raving about it (and I don't think it was on this board).  I WANTED IT,  but didn't have $4K.  Now, I'm the woman with a funny grin on my face riding a Platy.

Matt,  I live in the city and my 55 cm Platy with a wheelbase of 47" is too long for Philadelphia city-bus bike rack.  It's too long for Amtrak.  A 50 cm (your wife's size) might fit the bill, but if mass transportation is important to you, please measure.  Or, get Brett's Betty (measure wheelbase, but I think it will be fine.).

I love it when one person's happiness can become another person's happiness.

Roberta

Pam Bikes

Oct 26, 2022, 9:29:36 PM10/26/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Matt, not sure where you are but I'm in Charlotte.  I have a 47, 50 Betty, 55 and 60 Cheviots.  You're welcome to try them out to see which size.  I think the 50 would fit her but it depends on leg length (PBH).

Pam Bikes

Oct 26, 2022, 9:30:29 PM10/26/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Just noticed you're in STL but maybe you'll be nearby sometime.

John Hawrylak

Oct 27, 2022, 1:06:45 PM10/27/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Matt

Looks of good choices were mentioned.   All were long trail frames and the Rivendells were the only frames with 'relaxed' frame angles, placing you further back.   Here is an estimate of the costs for each:
                                                                                                             Frame/Fork                Ready to Ride
Schwinn World Sport or Traveler via Craiglist/yard sales/Goodwill                              $150 to $300 complete,  may need new cables, grease
(84-86 Traveler, 86-91 World Sport - Traveler & 86 WS are Panasonic,  87-91 WS are Taiwan (Giant??))

She Devil Frame/fork and complete bike by Mfg)                       $460 frame/fork        $1,000-$1,200 complete from Mfg

Soma Buena Vista  (F/F by Soma, you build it up)                      $900 frame,                 $2,000-$2,500 to Ride Away

Betty Foy (B Lindsay quoted $1,000 for F/F recently)                $1,000 frame               $2,500 to $4,000 for complete Bike

Platypus (F/F by RBW, you build it up)                                           $1,800 frame              $3,000-$3,500 to Ride Away

Toe Clip Overlap is likely on SMALL frames with 27" or 700C wheels.  650B or 26" should greatly minimize TCO concerns .

The Schwinn's use drop bars (and in small frames they tend to be narrow (38 or 39cm wide) with short stems), the others use more upright bars or accommodate both.  The Schwiins are Step Thrus while the others are Mixtes.  The Schwiinns are Standard diameter main tubes, while the others are or look to be OS main tubes.

The She Devil is an interesting item form a cost/value/ready availability standpoint

John Hawrylak
Woodstown NJ

Hoch in ut

Oct 28, 2022, 11:12:06 AM10/28/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
My wife is 5’6” with a 79cm PBH and rides a 52.
Size is perfect with 110mm stem and Albatross bars. I’d say your wife would fit on it just fine. Especially with a shorter stem and if needed, bars that swept back more (ie Bosco).

Best of luck.

John Hawrylak

Oct 28, 2022, 8:07:54 PM10/28/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Matt

Soma has a 20% sale until 10/30/22 if you are considering their Buena Vista  mixte F/F.   The coupon code is "fall20"

John Hawrylak
Woodstown NJ

Matthew Williams

Oct 28, 2022, 8:20:51 PM10/28/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

John Hawrylak

Oct 28, 2022, 9:09:02 PM10/28/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
The price looks very good if the 2 racks are included.   A 55 may be too big for Matt's wife

John Hawrylak
Woodstown NJ

zoomie z

Nov 18, 2022, 12:07:14 PM11/18/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Oh wow! So cool 💗
We’re  selling a Betty Foy 62 cm in excellent shape with albatross handlebars! I’ve tried to post here without any luck!

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 28, 2022, at 6:09 PM, 'John Hawrylak' via RBW Owners Bunch <rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

The price looks very good if the 2 racks are included.   A 55 may be too big for Matt's wife

Scott Luly

Nov 18, 2022, 12:39:39 PM11/18/22
to 'zoomie z' via RBW Owners Bunch
Contact info and pics?