Stuck shifter cable head

Pam Bikes

Sep 2, 2023, 8:25:15 PM9/2/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm trying to remove a shift cable from a Silver bar end shifter.  The head is stuck and I can't get it out.  Any tips?  Otherwise I'll need to drill it out.
Thanks in advance.

Michael Connors

Sep 2, 2023, 9:15:04 PM9/2/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Try leaving a 1-2 inch tail and using a pliers to twist it and push it out

Pam Bikes

Sep 2, 2023, 9:17:34 PM9/2/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm pushing it w/pliers and it is stuck.  Not moving at all.  I put it in the freezer hoping it'll come out tomorrow.  Any other ideas?  I need to use this shifter lever and this cable is too short.

J Imler

Sep 2, 2023, 9:36:19 PM9/2/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Try a pick. Worked for me on old Simplex stem shifter with likely original cables from 70’s.

Ian A

Sep 2, 2023, 9:37:05 PM9/2/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
I had this very problem, and the cable head eventually freed with persistent prodding with an awl. A search on the Triathlon forum showed others had the same issue and soaking the cable in lube/oil/WD40 overnight seems a good idea.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Wrench_help!__Cable_stuck_in_bar_end_shifter_P3348164/

IanA

Pam Bikes

Sep 3, 2023, 9:17:27 PM9/3/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Tried the awl, then a small drill bit from behind then the guy at REI put it in a vise and used a hammer and small punch to get it out.  This is a silver shifter that is ever so slightly smaller hole for the cable head.  Thanks all for your help!

p.s.  Now I have yet another front shifter w/another broken power ratchet. UGH!  Maybe I can make one good one from the 3 broken ones but how to keep it all together?  The plate w/the pressfit looking rivet - how do I do that?

Russell Duncan

Sep 4, 2023, 10:04:37 AM9/4/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
What about cutting the cable off flush and drilling down with a fine drill bit partway into the cable head and tapping it with a hammer, or perhaps using a very fine nail as a tap, holding it with pliers and striking the nail with a hammer. Have you tried soaking it in boiling water?

Russell Duncan
Saratoga WY

Mike Godwin

Sep 4, 2023, 6:26:16 PM9/4/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've stuck cable ends in the past, hate it, the worst problem I think. Started putting grease on cable ends and a little dab in the shifter hole.

Mike SLO CA

Pam Bikes

Sep 5, 2023, 4:12:35 PM9/5/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Took it to REI after trying the pick.  Guy had to hammer it out w/a small awl.  Then when I tried to install a new cable - the head wouldn't go down until I had tension on the cable then the old cable housing gave up at a weak point and bent.  Now I'll need new housing in addition to the shifter and cable.  And now twine and shellac.  And this is the simplest shifter.  I can't imagine the more complicated ones or internal cable routing, etc.

Nick Payne

Sep 5, 2023, 8:12:03 PM9/5/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Cables for Campagnolo shifters have a slightly smaller head than those for Shimano/SRAM, by about 0.1-0.2mm. If you install a Shimano/SRAM cable in a Campagnolo shifter, you'll have similar problems trying to extract it when it needs replacing.

Nick Payne

Russell Duncan

Sep 5, 2023, 8:31:42 PM9/5/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
I use current era Campagnolo shift cables for both Campagnolo and Shimano derailleur shifters, including on my bicycles equipped with Simplex retro-friction down tube shifters.

Russell Runcan
Western Massachusetts

Patrick Moore

Sep 5, 2023, 9:39:45 PM9/5/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Perhaps enlarge the hole in the shifter a wee bit?

Ian A

Sep 6, 2023, 5:53:30 PM9/6/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Pam,

Have you considered trying downtube shifters? I have always loved bar end shifters,  but one of my bikes has 9 speed downtube indexed (gasp!) shifters which are just wonderful to use, and are my current favorites. They are Shimano Dura Ace, but these seem unobtanium nowadays. Microshift and Suntour both have options though. Shifting both derailleurs simultaneously can be performed with one hand and the short cable run and absence of shifter housing (except at the rear derailleur) mean there is almost nothing to gum up with bad weather.

I have never had a cable head seize in a downtube shifter, but that could be coincidence. I really like the grease/anti-seize idea Mike Godwin mentioned.

IanA Lake Louise, AB Canada

Ian A

Sep 6, 2023, 5:55:39 PM9/6/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
*Sunrace (not Suntour!)

Bill Lindsay

Sep 6, 2023, 6:51:20 PM9/6/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
If you need to force the cable IN, then it will absolutely be a bear to get back out.  That's a guarantee.  If it were me and I felt I had to force a cable into a Silver shifter, I'd get another cable.  If I was determined to use that cable, for whatever reason, I'd give it a quick kiss on the grinding wheel until it installs easily.

I've got probably 8 different sets of Silver shifters in my stable, and my shop-box of shift cables is the generic Jagwire Sport, and they always slide right in. Don't force it!

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

Pam Bikes

Sep 9, 2023, 10:27:17 PM9/9/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Next time, I will grind it down but now it's already stuck in there again.  This is the only one I've ever had this issue with.  The cable head usually slides right in/out.