New Frame Day - Rivendell Mixte "Cargo" bike

lconley

Sep 3, 2020, 8:17:50 AM9/3/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Last March Grant had this frame on the Blahg and I knew that I had to have it, so I pestered Riv until they sold it to me. I consider it to be a true mixte - low twin top tubes. My plans are to make it my commuter bike with an extra huge Wald 157 giant delivery basket on the front rack. I already have 650B 48 spoke polished Cliffhanger rims, SON Classic front dyno hub, NOS Sanshin large flange tandem rear hub with NOS Suntour 7 speed Freewheel, Shimano Altus M310 RD,  Wavie bars on my Nitto stem with double clamp bolts, Brooks B68 aged saddle. I had Riv install an IRD NeedL BlastR headset with the lower roller bearings - that head tube is too long for my headset press. I also have an NOS Vetta locking rear rack box (in orange) that may find its way onto a rear rack.

Rivendell wouldn't put a Rivendell headbadge or decals on it because it does not have a Joe Bell paint job, so I opted for a Rosco Headbadge with no decals. As for decals - I still have the decal letter set that Riv included upon request with the first batch of Clementines, so who knows.  Maybe I should have asked for a Platypus headbadge?

So here it is:

IMG_0683.jpg

IMG_0684.jpg

Laing
Delray Beach FL

Marty Gierke, Stewartstown PA

Sep 3, 2020, 9:13:07 AM9/3/20
to RBW Owners Bunch

Last March Grant had this frame on the Blahg and I knew that I had to have it, so I pestered Riv until they sold it to me.

This is one to watch! Really interesting one-of-one frame. Cool factor X11!

Kainalu V. -Brooklyn NY

Sep 3, 2020, 9:43:57 AM9/3/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Super cool. You're putting a rear rack on it? I wonder how it would feel with a heavy load up front and in back? I put some ridiculously heavy loads on the front of my "mixtes" (one having been Marty's in the past!) avoiding the addition of rear loads for fear of frame waggle and what that might mean for structural longevity. I'm curious how the twin tubes do in that regard. Seems, as they are outboard of the center line that they'd do much better than a centered single tube. One thing's for absolutely sure, they look stunning!
Enjoy it
-Kai

Kainalu V. -Brooklyn NY

Sep 3, 2020, 9:45:08 AM9/3/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
P.S.- Knicks fan?

lconley

Sep 3, 2020, 9:47:00 AM9/3/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Go Gators.

UF graduate.

On Thursday, September 3, 2020 at 9:45:08 AM UTC-4, Kainalu V. -Brooklyn NY wrote:
P.S.- Knicks fan?

lconley

Sep 3, 2020, 9:51:31 AM9/3/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Rear rack would only be for Vetta Box, not a big load.

Capture.JPG

Laing

Alex Wirth- Owner, Yellow Haus Bicycles

Sep 3, 2020, 10:08:26 AM9/3/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
So cool!!!!!!

I hope they do a cargo-specific design some day...

Roberta

Sep 3, 2020, 12:00:12 PM9/3/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Was this to be the original Anniversary bike?

It's LOVELY.  Happy hauling!

Roberta

Patrick Moore

Sep 3, 2020, 12:14:45 PM9/3/20
to rbw-owners-bunch
I dunno about engineering criteria, but Grant sure does design some frames that hit all the aesthetic criteria!

Kai: Regarding rear loads: Is "tail wagging" bad for the frame, or just another version of what you do to the frame when you pedal hard on it? My very best rear load carrier of all time was a very light, standard gauge, all-531 racing frame, 1973 Motobecane Grand Record, with an 11 oz Tubus Fly rack. I carried 45 lb loads on it. Sure, it waggled under 40-45 lb if you were clumsy in the seated-to-standing transition, but only briefly as you got back into rhythm, and it was noticeably better than my Ram and my 2003 custom Road, or my 1958 Herse, for that matter, and with 30-35 lb it was rock steady. (That genre came after ska.)

As for front loads, I've never ridden a bike that handled well with more than 20 lb in the front, and those 20 lb had to be balanced L and R. Even the lowish trail Herse didn't carry heavy front loads well (tho' it was not a porteur).

I recall grunting 45 lb up a very steep 4/10-mile hill in a 67" fixed gear at 20 rpm on that Motobecane, back when I was a spry 50-something.

Patrick Moore

lconley

Sep 3, 2020, 12:46:01 PM9/3/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
No, this was a Grant designed custom built by Nobilette for Kevin, a former Riv employee, several years ago that evidently didn't get built exactly as intended. Earlier this year, Riv sent it to Taiwan to get standard Riv paint and then sold it to me.

Laing

lconley

Sep 4, 2020, 8:33:03 AM9/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I finished building the wheels for my Riv custom, so I decided to try them on the Cargo bike to see how big of a tire I might be able to fit. The tires are 650B x 48 Switchback Hills on Velocity Quill rims and there is plenty of room to go bigger. the limitation is the width between the chainstays. In the Blagh, Grant said it was designed for 2.2s and that is what I will try first. If I have the correct spokes, and I think I do, I am planning on building the wheels for the Cargo this weekend if I don't get too involved with trying different handlebar/stem setups on the Custom.

IMG_0685.jpg

The Cargo frame is kind of the max size I can ride - the actual seatpost that I use will be very short - the seat will be just above the frame - very little seatpost showing, that is good because the handlebars will be nice and high without a lot of stem, As close as I can measure, the ST is 24" center to top and the effective TT is about 23"-23.5" center to center - I like long top tubes which is why I like step-thru frames - I can oversize the frame to get the longer effective top tube.

Seat post.JPG

Laing
Delray Beach FL

Steven Sweedler

Sep 4, 2020, 9:16:20 AM9/4/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Laing, could you post a close up picture of how the rack attaches at the headtube, Thanks, Steve

Steven Sweedler
Plymouth, New Hampshire

lconley

Sep 4, 2020, 9:41:10 AM9/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
This is from the Blahg that shows the four mounting points on the head tube. Basically they used the Clem head tube "napkin rings" and mounted the rack mounting points to the napkin rings:

XK_frame_head_tubex_2048x2048.jpg

XK_fork_crownx_2048x2048.jpg

Also from the Blahg - the rack and its four mounting points:

xk_rackxr_2048x2048.jpg

I can take some more pictures this weekend that show the rack mounted to the bike.

Laing

On Fri, Sep 4, 2020 at 8:33 AM lconley <lco...@brph.com> wrote:
[...]

Je Mar

Sep 4, 2020, 9:46:53 AM9/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
That is cool as heck. Congrats.

Rocky B

Sep 4, 2020, 11:13:05 AM9/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Sounds like its going to be a perfect fit for you!  Cant wait to see the finished build.  Such a cool, cool bike!

Deacon Patrick

Sep 6, 2020, 1:42:12 AM9/6/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I imagine the swoop of the top tube matches the golden curve. It is beautiful. Let us know how it rides with a load!

With abandon,
Patrick

lconley

Sep 8, 2020, 8:03:17 AM9/8/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
IMG_0686.jpg

Sorry for the sideways picture. This shows the rack bolted to the headtube mounts.

Note the twin clamp bolts on the Nitto Stem. Bought this years ago from Rivendell and this seem to be the perfect application for it, it doesn't have a lot of stem height, but this frame has such a tall head tube, I don't need a really tall stem.

Laing

Joe Bunik

Sep 8, 2020, 1:12:55 PM9/8/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Nice bike/build, Laing.

Just a reminder to be careful with shorter-quill stems, that the wedge
isn't landing in the threaded portion of the steerer.

=- Joe Bunik
Walnut Creek, CA
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/5fb5e7c2-e51b-40e1-beb6-aad18da94e59o%40googlegroups.com.

lconley

Sep 8, 2020, 1:24:04 PM9/8/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yes, especially on Rivs which have longer threaded sections on the fork, due to the extension of the steerer above the headset. I hold the stem up to the bike to see where it must be to get the wedge below the headset. Usually need to drop the stem another 1/4" to 1/2" below the minimum insertion line.

Laing

On 9/8/20, lconley <lco...@brph.com> wrote:
> [image: IMG_0686.jpg]
>
> Sorry for the sideways picture. This shows the rack bolted to the headtube
> mounts.
>
> Note the twin clamp bolts on the Nitto Stem. Bought this years ago from
> Rivendell and this seem to be the perfect application for it, it doesn't
> have a lot of stem height, but this frame has such a tall head tube, I
> don't need a really tall stem.
>
> Laing
>

> On Friday, September 4, 2020 at 9:16:20 AM UTC-4, Steven Sweedler wrote:
>>
>> Laing, could you post a close up picture of how the rack attaches at the
>> headtube, Thanks, Steve

Paul M

Sep 8, 2020, 8:02:02 PM9/8/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Good to see this frame reappear after Grant's posting several months ago. I was very intrigued by it. What is the headtube length out of curiosity.  Thanks.

☆ Paul ☆

Sep 8, 2020, 8:31:47 PM9/8/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Laing,

Just want to say — that frame is BEAUTIFUL and I love the rack up front.

Can't wait to se this bike all finished.

Awesome!

Paul

lconley

Sep 11, 2020, 8:09:08 AM9/11/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
The headtube measures 12-1/2".

Got the seatpost in and mounted the Brooks B-68 aged saddle in position. The handlebars have plenty of height.

IMG_0691.jpg

Laing