ISO: Riv 50/52 Step Through (Platypus, Clem L, Cheviot)

Johnny Alien

Mar 18, 2022, 8:31:30 PM3/18/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I was planning on taking a shot at a Rosco Platy but now it sounds like they are pushed until May. It's still a solid plan and I will wait if need be but I am going to throw out a feeler as well. Would prefer just a frame as I have all of the parts but could be fine with getting one more complete if its the right thing.  I would need a 50 Platy or Cheviot (they came in the same sizes right?) or a 52 Clem L. I need something with V brakes so I think those are the only step throughs that use them.

Johnny Alien

Mar 19, 2022, 10:09:15 AM3/19/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I got a hot tip from Leah on a Platy in Cambridge however it is being sold as a complete and the price is fair but since I have so many parts its a pain to pay the higher price and try and offload a bunch of parts to compensate. If anyone is interested shoot me a message and I will give you the info. Or if someone wants to buy a bike load of nice Riv pats/wheels etc let me know and maybe we can partner up.  Otherwise I am still on the hunt. :)

Doug H.

Mar 19, 2022, 3:02:29 PM3/19/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Is the Platy is Cambridge a 50 or 55?
Doug

Johnny Alien

Mar 19, 2022, 3:29:41 PM3/19/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
50cm. And a very nice build. Pretty much new.

Johnny Alien

Mar 19, 2022, 3:31:35 PM3/19/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I talked to them so more about it but it just doesn't make sense for me financially right now. Parting it or selling the parts that I had set aside for this build would end up with me paying more for the frame then I would for a new one. But for someone needing a complete its a fair deal.

Doug Hansford

Mar 19, 2022, 3:40:03 PM3/19/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I think I’d need a 55 but I don’t see a listing for that bike anywhere.
Doug

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 19, 2022, at 3:31 PM, Johnny Alien <johnny....@gmail.com> wrote:

I talked to them so more about it but it just doesn't make sense for me financially right now. Parting it or selling the parts that I had set aside for this build would end up with me paying more for the frame then I would for a new one. But for someone needing a complete its a fair deal.

Dorothy C

Mar 19, 2022, 3:46:03 PM3/19/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Johnny, the Platy/Cheviot sizing is a bit different in the middle size. The 55 Cheviot is 650b wheel size, but the 55 Platy is 700c.
I have a 55 Cheviot and I am 81cm pbh, but I would have been better off on the 50cm Platy had I decided to switch bikes.
Will mentioned the size difference somewhere

Johnny Alien

Mar 19, 2022, 3:51:20 PM3/19/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks for that info!! It sounds like I would be in the same boat. So I could potentially do a 55 Cheviot but would probably prefer a 50. For sure don't want to go to a 55 in the Platy

Johnny Alien

Mar 22, 2022, 8:00:31 AM3/22/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I passed the info along about the complete so hopefully someone from here grabbed it. It was decked out nicely so didn't work for me with my stockpile of parts.  All taht's to say...still looking! Thanks

Johnny Alien

Mar 23, 2022, 10:42:38 PM3/23/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Crust listed some complete Clems and I was able to grab one. Since I have some parts I wants to use I am going to be listing up some parts from this soon. If anyone is interested in a silver crankset or the new 650B wheelset on this thing before I list them feel free to hit them up. I am probably going to sell the derailers too because I have an Altus rear that I am eager to try.

DD

Mar 23, 2022, 11:15:09 PM3/23/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Johnny, thanks for the tip on Crust stock. Tempted to grab a 45 for my spouse.

Does anyone know the timeline for Riv to get Clems in again? And do they only sell Clem Completes now? Or can you still grab just a frame from time to time?

-Danny

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/a22c9fae-c717-4d6f-8838-ad892f7064d0n%40googlegroups.com.

Jacob Lopez

Mar 23, 2022, 11:46:12 PM3/23/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Dee Dee, I think Clems are going to be available again toward the fall of this year (?).   Someone correct me if I'm wrong.  I think somewhere on the site there was a rough estimate for availabilities written on a piece of cardboard or something lol.

Not sure if this is the place to post this, so let me know if I'm wrong.  And sorry if I'm preaching to the choir, but I just wanted to share in case it is useful, because I found it to be useful for my own edification.  But regarding the Clem L's (since I too was searching for a great while before I found one) I wanted to say that the early Clem L's have a shorter wheel base than the more recent ones of the last couple (few?) years.  Apparently they are really different bikes altogether because of the different wheelbases and slacker headtube (?)!  There is a great discussion in the group about Riv's expanding wheelbase throughout the years especially on the Clem L.

Bicycle Belle Ding Ding!

Mar 24, 2022, 6:56:29 AM3/24/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Jacob, I bet that was my thread. Yes, I was completely shocked. I got a 52 from 2019 after having ridden my mother-in-law’s 1st gen Clementine and they were DIFFERENT BIKES. I have the 52 and had to get a longer bar for the vehicle bike rack and change the stem because the reach was too long. I was frustrated getting it set up because the darn thing was so foreign compared to the bike I knew. BUT I will say that now I adore the Clem. It’s very long but it is my most comfortable bike. Just takes a while to get it set up correctly.
Leah

Johnny Alien

Mar 24, 2022, 8:06:33 AM3/24/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
@Dee Dee, Rivendell only sells these as completes now. It will likely be awhile before these are available through them again. It looks like they still have both colors in the larger sizes but only one lime green in 45 and 52.

DD

Mar 24, 2022, 9:18:09 AM3/24/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for replies. Ordered the 45 in lime green for her :)

She road one at Riv hq a few weeks back and loved it.

Joseph Albert

Mar 28, 2022, 11:22:02 AM3/28/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks so much for the heads up on the Crust stock as well, Johnny. I ended up getting the last 52 cm Lime Green and I'm very excited though I am only now realizing that perhaps, I should've checked out the quirkiness in sizing a bit more. I have a PBH of ~76-77 so I seem to be ok on a 52cm but of course, I'm feeling a tinge of regret at not considering the 45cm.

Johnny, are you sized similarly to me? And to the rest of the community, can I rest east knowing that I'll be able to ride this Clem in commuter mode (a.k.a not fast at all).

Johnny Alien

Mar 28, 2022, 11:33:12 AM3/28/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I am in the 80-81 range so I sit in the middle of the 52cm range. Your measurement is not at the rock bottom so I think you be fine. With a Clem I think its probably better to go a little big then a little small. You will likely need a much shorter stem than what's included to bring the bars back some.

Joseph (Bay Area)

Mar 29, 2022, 11:53:27 PM3/29/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks for the heads up. I've been riding on a bit too big for me XO-3 with an 80CM stem so will try it out at first. I'm also tempted to try one of the other sweptback models but will try out the Toscos first.

Johnny Alien

Mar 30, 2022, 8:06:26 AM3/30/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I figured I was going to ditch the Toscos but instead I really liked them. I am going to give the slightly wider 60cm version a shot. I use Losco bars on my Gallop and I was a bit surprised how different the Tosco bars were.  I just assumed they were the same with a bit more rise. Other than the money it takes its a load of fun trying out the different sweptback models.  The Bosco and Chocos (and the related moose versions) are the only ones I have not tried.

Joe A.

Mar 30, 2022, 1:21:19 PM3/30/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Then color me even more excited to try the Toscos. I've been using the Loscos too and have been searching for something a little different.

How's the Clem so far? Crust shipped mine today so I imagine I'll get to build it up in about a week. What build did you settle on? I believe you mentioned you set it up to do some MTB-ish work?

Richard Rose

Mar 30, 2022, 3:17:25 PM3/30/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
The Tosco’s are amazing. I got very lucky as my Clem came with the 65 wide Tosco which has a 31.8 clamp size. It also came with a FacePlater stem. The combination is really nice. Out of the box this combination has been perfect. The bike is so comfortable & the handlebar is a huge part of that comfort.

Sent from my iPhone