Gus/Susie presale is live this morning! New blog on Gus impressions!

499 vistas
Ir al primer mensaje no leído

Alex Wirth- Owner, Yellow Haus Bicycles

no leída,
18 nov 2019, 7:18:48 a.m.18/11/2019
para RBW Owners Bunch
Last winter I had about a week on a Gus Boots Willsen.  Here's the blog....I think it'll help if you're in the market or on-the-fence.

Cheers,
Alex in Rochester, NY

PaulS

no leída,
18 nov 2019, 8:57:57 a.m.18/11/2019
para RBW Owners Bunch
What rims were on the Gus? Cliffhanger?

Contemplating putting down for a Gus myself.

Alex Wirth- Owner, Yellow Haus Bicycles

no leída,
18 nov 2019, 9:40:59 a.m.18/11/2019
para RBW Owners Bunch
Paul, I'm 99% certain that's right.  They would certainly be a good choice for this bike.  Also, a less fancy/expensive non-MUSA choice would be an Alex DM25.

PaulS

no leída,
18 nov 2019, 10:02:37 a.m.18/11/2019
para RBW Owners Bunch
How was the Bb height compared to the ECR (which already has a low low BB). I’m sure it added to the feeling of stability as you said in the blog. Wondering how this bike would feel with 2.2” tires. If that would drop the BB too much.

Great write up, by the way.

Deacon Patrick

no leída,
18 nov 2019, 10:03:59 a.m.18/11/2019
para RBW Owners Bunch
Yes, Paul. Cliffhanger rims. (I bought the prototype Alex test rode). They are plenty wide (you may want to read Jan's take on rim width being a near non-issue in terms of squirmyness.).

With abandon,
Patrick

Alex Wirth- Owner, Yellow Haus Bicycles

no leída,
18 nov 2019, 10:36:25 a.m.18/11/2019
para RBW Owners Bunch
Deacon Patrick, you Wile E. Coyote. I thought that might have been you. When I tried to convince Riv it would make more sense to just let me ship that bike home, they indicated it was already spoken for. Outsmarted by another enthusiast 🙃

Paul, I won’t pretend to be able to make an educated response to that question. Comparing the bb drop of my demo with 27.5 wheels to the 29r ECR is beyond my ability. I will however say that Grant likely thought all that through to the ‘nth degree.

To boot, I don’t think I have an accurate geometry table for that demo model I rode.

Cheers,

Alex

Garth

no leída,
18 nov 2019, 10:47:15 a.m.18/11/2019
para RBW Owners Bunch

The Geometry page has been updated with Susie and Gus !

Myself I'll likely go with the Alex DM24 rims and T610 hubs from Rich@Riv as I don't ride tubeless and the Cliffhanger's tubeless design can be difficult to mount/dismount tires, according to a talk w/Vince.  That's what the possible new rim is about, tubeless capable but easier get tires on and off. They won't be available anytime soon though, "if" at all.

Chris L

no leída,
18 nov 2019, 11:07:56 a.m.18/11/2019
para RBW Owners Bunch
Definately a trail bike!  70mm of BB drop for a 29 x 2.8 tire!

Joe Bernard

no leída,
18 nov 2019, 11:13:18 a.m.18/11/2019
para RBW Owners Bunch
I can confirm the tubeless madness with Cliffhangers. My 27.5 set came (used) with tubeless tires mounted and one time I let the air get too low..can't get the front to seal up again. Now I've switched to bigger WTB Byways and they won't tubeless, either, I bought tubes. I give up!

Bill Lindsay

no leída,
18 nov 2019, 11:24:35 a.m.18/11/2019
para RBW Owners Bunch
What size compressor were you using when you tried to seat tires on your Cliffhanger rims without tubes?

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

Joe Bernard

no leída,
18 nov 2019, 11:30:12 a.m.18/11/2019
para RBW Owners Bunch
No compressor. I gave mine away because the neighbors and the cat weren't impressed with the amazing amount of noise; if I can't pump a tire with a good floor pump then I'm dealing with something outside the range of how I understand working on bicycles.

PaulS

no leída,
18 nov 2019, 11:49:49 a.m.18/11/2019
para RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks Alex. I forgot the original was 27.5, not 29.

70mm BB drop isn’t bad at all. 2.2” tires should work very well on it. I know some complain about the low BB on the ECR but I love it. Just watch the pedals riding through rock gardens. No issues.

Tubeless is simple. Good rim tape (Stans or Scotch equivalent) and you’re good to go. If the rim is being stubborn, use the split tubeless method. Works even on non-tubeless specific rims.

Joe Bernard

no leída,
18 nov 2019, 11:56:46 a.m.18/11/2019
para RBW Owners Bunch
What is split tubeless?

PaulS

no leída,
18 nov 2019, 12:13:41 p.m.18/11/2019
para RBW Owners Bunch
https://youtu.be/Omj1_-TNovg

Start at 2:20. No need for the camping mattress garbage (more beneficial for fat bikes). Just rim tape and tube over it. I don’t inflate it prior to cutting like this guy. Just cut down the middle, wash off the powder, spray with soapy water, mount tire and inflate. Done.

Make sure to get a tube with removable core. ie Q Tubes, and I think Specialized.

Joe Bernard

no leída,
18 nov 2019, 12:18:05 p.m.18/11/2019
para RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks! Now back to your regularly scheduled thread, sorry for the tubeless hijack 🙋‍♂️

Alex Wirth- Owner, Yellow Haus Bicycles

no leída,
18 nov 2019, 12:27:07 p.m.18/11/2019
para RBW Owners Bunch

I scored an orange Susie!!

officegif.gif

Wally Estrella

no leída,
18 nov 2019, 12:33:45 p.m.18/11/2019
para RBW Owners Bunch
On-the-fence? Yes, indeed I was.  Off-the-fence now.  And standing on the metalic green side of the pasture with an XL Gus!

Garth

no leída,
18 nov 2019, 12:39:19 p.m.18/11/2019
para RBW Owners Bunch

  Me too Alex ..... Bright Sun shiney popsicley ORANGE !!!!   Now all I need is some warmth with the Sun !!!! Oh Summer where are you ?  !!!!

Laing Conley

no leída,
18 nov 2019, 1:14:34 p.m.18/11/2019
para rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Green Gus – 54. Now I need to unlace the 48 spoke 700c Chukker rims from my 48 spoke 9 sp Phil/SON hubs and lace the polished 48 spoke 650b Cliffhangers on (special ordered these a while ago in anticipation). Let the parts reconfigurations begin!

Laing

Delray Beach FL

maxcr

no leída,
23 nov 2019, 2:20:30 p.m.23/11/2019
para RBW Owners Bunch
Just pulled the trigger on a small blue Susie for my wife. Earlier this year I got her a Jones for her birthday but the 29ers make the bike feel too big to handle for her so we’re going to sell that one in favor of the hillibike. My thought process is that she should have a better bike than I do to encourage us to go out riding together more often. We’re building it through James at Analog Cycles - the idea is to turn it into a do everything bike that she can use in the city and out in the trails. Im very excited to see it in person once built.

I rode a proto Gus when I was out in CA earlier in the year and it was amazing. Comfortable, stable, beautiful... I’m jealous but can’t justify getting a Gus for me when I have an awesome Hunqa which I don’t get to ride as much as I would want.

Max

Abcyclehank

no leída,
23 nov 2019, 2:57:11 p.m.23/11/2019
para RBW Owners Bunch
Looks like all the XL Susie and Gus frames are sold out.
Wanted a Green Gus but ordered the Blue because that was all that was left. Huge RBW blue fan so no biggie. Went back to order an Orange XL Susie for a family member but missed out. Planned to call Riv about paint options so they would not both be blue and the last one sold first 🤦🏻‍♂️.

Ryan Hankinson
West Michigan

Joe Bernard

no leída,
23 nov 2019, 3:26:49 p.m.23/11/2019
para RBW Owners Bunch
For all Gus/Susie orderers, you can always pay to have the frame driven over to D&D for paint from Rick Stefani. The only lug cutouts for cream are the seatlug on both and fork crown on Gus..the price for a top quality MUSA paint job should be very reasonable. I vote for yellow!

Edwin W

no leída,
25 nov 2019, 12:18:58 p.m.25/11/2019
para RBW Owners Bunch
I am having trouble understanding why they would put a cap on the number or preorders of any certain size, color, etc...

Maybe they already have the guy working on them and can't change the numbers?

Give the people what they want,

Edwin
Nashville

Joe Bernard

no leída,
25 nov 2019, 12:41:35 p.m.25/11/2019
para RBW Owners Bunch
Edwin, it's a pre-order price. I'm sure you can pay full pop for all the frames the guy can fillet once it's in production.

Bill Lindsay

no leída,
25 nov 2019, 12:43:56 p.m.25/11/2019
para RBW Owners Bunch
Yes.  They have to pre-order frames WAY in advance, and they have to pre-pay for all of them before they ship.  Their decisions on quantities were probably made 4 months ago.  The ordering quantum with their Taiwan vendor has traditionally been $30,000.  They normally order $30,000 worth of frames, and pre-sell as many of them as they can so they can pay the $30,000 bill.  They have to guess at the size distribution, and they often guess wrong.  They sometimes try to get some kind of votes out of people, but tons of people say they are interested and then don't buy, so I think Riv doesn't trust that kind of input as a predictor anymore.  It's a difficult business.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

PaulS

no leída,
27 nov 2019, 9:31:38 p.m.27/11/2019
para RBW Owners Bunch
Looks like Gus is almost sold out with 54 and 57 in Blue remaining. Suz is sold out only in the largest 59.
Responder a todos
Responder al autor
Reenviar
0 mensajes nuevos