Experiences with Atlantis

Robert Gardner

Jan 5, 2020, 3:03:29 PM1/5/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hi all --

So, I'm thinking about a touring/gravel/all-road'y type bike I can put gigantic tires on, load up if I want, or not. I'm not a small person.

I'm also thinking about waiting for Crust to re-up their line, but I have a Quickbeam and a Roadini and I smile every time I get on either one of them (for very different reasons).

So, I'm predisposed towards building something I can ride from DC to Montreal if I wanted to, hitting every gravel road on the way.

Who has ridden an Atlantis? Who has toured on one? I'd appreciate your impressions -- AND -- if someone can talk me out of it (maybe I should by a Homer????)

Appreciate your experiences here all -- feel free to ping on list or off.

Happy New Year --

Robert

Joe Bernard

Jan 5, 2020, 3:20:27 PM1/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
A Homer would be more of a lugged Roadini, I can't see needing both. I only owned a MIT Atlantis for a short while but I think it would be a great gravel tourer. As long as you can fit the cockpit of one with decent standover clearance for serious dirt sections, I say go for it.

Frank Brose

Jan 5, 2020, 3:45:11 PM1/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've had 3 Atlantis' a 56, 58 and back to a 56. I just like the fit of a 56 better. I've been on a couple of 700 mile tours on mine and wouldn't think twice about taking it across country on any roads. I ride it locally and it's kinda like having a mountain bike with a generator hub and fenders. In my opinion (which isn't worth much) they are one of the finest touring/all around bikes made. I seriously doubt you'd be disappointed.
Frank
Tomahawk,WI

Steve Cole

Jan 5, 2020, 4:14:06 PM1/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Please do not send private messages on this topic.  There are many who would benefit from and appreciate the views shared.

dougP

Jan 5, 2020, 4:19:10 PM1/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Robert:

I bought a 58cm Atlantis in '03 & have taken it on numerous tours.  If you intend to load it down, it's the go-to Rivendell.  I have had up to 45mm tires on with, with fenders.  I think it's rated to 50 or 52mm.  40mm is my happy place (I weigh 170).  I bought mine based on a road test in Adventure Cycling by John Schubert.  Rivendell was super helpful in advising me on how to select components based on my intended usage.  When it arrived, I had never actually seen any Rivendell in the flesh.  I bought the bike built up per the recommendations, and 30 minutes of assembly & I was out the door.  Within 10 minutes I knew I'd made the right choice.  A few years ago, the bike had over 70,000 miles on it, before I stopped keeping track.

Obviously I'm not the guy who's going to try to talk you out of it.  Just do it.

dougP

Roberta

Jan 5, 2020, 8:16:06 PM1/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi, Robert.

Prior to Rivendell, my most expensive bike was $300 and I kept that bike for 30 years.  I couldn't imagine spending more than ten times that on a new one.  Then, I rode an MUSA Atlantis.  OMG, it was so wonderful.  But even more expensive then I could swing.  Then, I rode an Appaloosa and bought the floor model on the spot. I think it's close enough to the Atlantis to give my opinion, but beware, I'm not your bike-knowledgeable person that we have here.  I'm just someone who likes to go out for a ride.

I have a 51 Joe Appaloosa, similar to Atlantis, at home, and a 54.5 Homer at the office.  I also don't go on long tours.  My longest ride ever was 37 miles (so says Strava).  For me, that would be about 3 1/2 hours riding time.

I love my Joe Appaloosa and it is my preferred bike for longer, get out and just enjoy the day rides.  I can see myself touring on this, should I ever decide to do so.

I love my Homer, too, but I feel it is more for fun, light rides.  Doesn't take as wide a tire, either.

I hope this helps somewhat.

Roberta

dougP

Jan 5, 2020, 9:37:37 PM1/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Robert:

I should have also mentioned I've ridden the current iteration Atlantis with the longer wheelbase.  Rides even better and I cannot see what it gives up anything in handling.  The LWB also gives you extra clearance between your panniers heels.

dougP

Glenn's Bike Garage

Jan 5, 2020, 10:09:01 PM1/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Robert,

You can add my name to the responses that won't talk you out of an Atlantis. I have two that are both set up for fully loaded touring and I love them both.

One is a 58cm I've owned since 2002 with 700 x 35c tires (Panaracer Pasela) and fenders. It's been a very capable and reliable friend on tours. Very comfortable also.  This one does have toe clip overlap, so I have to remember that fact when maneuvering slowly and loaded down with bags.

The other is a 2017 59cm 650b Atlantis with 42mm tires (Hetres) and fenders.  Again, very capable and comfortable on tours. No TCO on this one and is more comfortable and inspires more confidence on gravel roads.

Hope that helps.

Paul

Bill Schairer

Jan 5, 2020, 11:38:09 PM1/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I purchased what I believe is a 2014 Atlantis second hand. I’ve taken it twice on 1 week tours on the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route, probably about 700 miles total. I also use it as a commuter and general all around hauler and have put about 6,000 Happy miles on it.

With front and rear Bruce Gordon racks i have hauled front only loads, rear only loads and front and rear loads. I will say that with a front rear load I have experienced some low and mid speed wobble that I have not experienced with front or rear only. This is not to be confused with high speed shimmy. It can be annoying but not frightening. Other than this I have been very happy with the bike and look forward to many more miles on it.

Bill s

Jonathan D.

Jan 5, 2020, 11:52:54 PM1/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
How about the new Charlie B Gallop that is coming out.

Drw

Jan 5, 2020, 11:55:10 PM1/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I also have 2. A 2000 toyo and a 2017/18 musa 650b. Both are great and both can do basically anything besides go super fast. I have stockpiled parts and an extra fork for the 650b Atlantis so I can ride it if the world ends. It’s a purchase I’d doubt many regret.

Jason Fuller

Jan 6, 2020, 12:21:29 AM1/6/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I too thought about the upcoming Charlie frame, even though we don't know everything about it yet.  I get the sense it's a re-invented Hillborne, which sounds more in line with what you need - the Atlantis might be a touch overbuilt based on your plans, while the Homer might be a touch underbuilt. The Hillborne would be perfect, so its replacement is probably perfect-er

Chris M

Jan 7, 2020, 11:47:56 AM1/7/20
to RBW Owners Bunch

My greatest regret is selling my pointy-lugged, made-in-Japan Atlantis. The Atlantis was forgiving of my inexperience and 2nd-rate packing job on my first multi-day tour in Wyoming back in 2008. I couldn't have had more fun or been more comfortable (though I've adjusted my saddle angle since then).

It made for a nice, zippy(ish) around-town bike unloaded and with lighter wheels, too. If you can find an old short-stayed Atlantis, I can't recommend it enough! But buy it fast, because I'm also looking for one...

Image may contain: one or more people, mountain, outdoor and nature

masmojo

Jan 7, 2020, 10:00:50 PM1/7/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Well, the Atlantis could certainly handle that. I have an older 53 Toyo (I believe) and it's phenomenal. Ideal for what you are doing. They had the newer ones on the floor the last time I was there, but for some reason I didn't try it. ?
I also have a Crust Bombora and it is an amazing bike as well. As you noted Crust is sold out of almost everything; Evasions are really slim pickings and I've been meaning to ask Matt if a restock is eminent. I would guess it'll be at least 3 months before Bomboras get restocked, possibly longer.
I am also curious to see what the next round of Evasions looks like.

Jason Fuller

Jan 7, 2020, 10:27:50 PM1/7/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Crust's business plan basically requires that Matt sells through a batch before they have the cashflow to buy a new run, hence the sporadic availability - but you can rest assured that most of the time, a new order is only 1-3 months away.  I love the Bombora, I actually debated between that and the Hillborne but ended up going Hillborne so I could keep my rim brake wheelset (and mindset!).  I really like the Nor'Easter too.

masmojo

Jan 8, 2020, 11:49:00 AM1/8/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yes, but he is ramping up production, he was having things done in small batches in LA; if I am not mistaken he's now getting larger batches out of Taiwan.

Yes, the Nor'Easter is sweet, but would basically be a duplicate of my Atlantis.

Tom Horton

Jan 12, 2020, 9:36:46 PM1/12/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
robert   I've toured from a few hundred to a couple thousand miles on my Japanese built Atlantis, a 68, lightly and heavily loaded, more pave than gravel, but it did fine on gravel.

it'll probably always be my go to bike for tours; only caveat, a small one, is it likes the weight more in back than in front, but I can always carry everything I need.

recently bought an MIT Atlantis 64, outfitted with bullmoose bars and moderately knobby tires for moderate offroad and I do love it for that; but still would take the old Atlantis for a true tour, I think.  and just to complicate matters, I recently spent eight days on the Erie Canal, lightly loaded, on a Joe App 62 and I believe it may be the equal of that Atlantis 68 for touring, but haven't really tested it...a fine riding bike though. I run the biggest schwalbe marathon supremes on the atlantis 68, 50mm I think; and g one all arounds, 57mm? on the atlantis 64....I have fenders on the 68 and clearance is adequate. compass antelope hill 55's on the appaloosa.  I weigh about 200 pounds.

MAP

Jan 15, 2020, 12:08:38 PM1/15/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm in a similar boat as Robert, the original poster, so thank you Robert and all for this discussion.

Does anyone know if the 56 cm / 650b (MiT?) Atlantis has a little more tire clearance than the 2.2" that is reported for all Atlantis (Atlantii?) on the latest spec sheet available online (https://www.rivbike.com/pages/geometry)?  In case I ever cross one.

And add me to the list of people interested in grabbing an older version Atlantis with shorter chainstays, although I'd like to know the tire clearance, which I understand was increased on the MiTs.

Thanks
- Matt
agonizing over my next bike purchase in San Diego, CA

Tony McG

Jan 15, 2020, 3:25:13 PM1/15/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've ridden thousands of miles of Midwest gravel on my Toyo Atlantis; 200 of them were racing the Dirty Kanza. I switched to a Salsa Fargo for serious gravel riding because of comfort, disc brakes, and tire clearance. I can barely squeeze 700x50 on the rear of the Atlantis and the brakes and kickstand bracket collect a lot of mud when things get nasty. If I were to choose a Riv for all road/gravel, it would be the Appaloosa.

Frank Brose

Jan 15, 2020, 6:10:09 PM1/15/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Matt,
I have an older Atlantis and have Compass Rat Trap Pass 2.3 on it with fenders.
Frank,
Tomahawk,WI