Billie Bar - stem length & wtb

J Schwartz

Apr 18, 2021, 8:49:11 AM4/18/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Greetings
I'm looking to try a Billie Bar on my App and unsure on stem length. I think I'm leaning towards a slightly more aero position and would like to have the grip/brake area not too far back.  I'd like to set them up so that position is comfortable and upright but not an issue for steering or knee hitting.  The issue is, I'm not all that long and general ride shorter stems .
* 9cm for Noodles on my S.H.
* 8cm for flat waive-like bars on my App currently

I don't think the "3rd" position in the rounded forward part of the bar is something I would use all that often but definitely the area in front of the levers appeals to me as a primary riding position that sort-of mimics riding on the hoods of a drop bar.

Does anyone have suggestions on how long of a stem works best with these bars?   My gut is saying 11cm but I'm concerned about purchasing such a long stem and it feel way too out there.  It's a 55cm App with a roughly 60cm effective top tube length

Also if anyone has a Bille Bar they would like to move on, please let me know
Thank you
JS

brendonoid

Apr 18, 2021, 5:30:44 PM4/18/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
This photo of my 60cm sam which has a 60.5cm toptube has billies with 130mm stem. The technomic is at almost max extension. It was very upright but not uncomfortably so. So imagine it 2cm further back than that. It's a long bar and it comes back a LOT. But stem length is one of those things that is so hard to make recommendations.
DSC_0872.JPG

Garth

Apr 18, 2021, 5:58:55 PM4/18/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
JS , without being you, all I can say is go long, a 12 or 13. I have a good selection of various open face stems so I can try any combo easily. I find a combo of a threadless adapter and some cheap threadless 0 degree or greater stems great for fitting and or keeping on the bike to ride. That said, I'm not a fan of negative rise road stems with a long quill for raising handlebars, it's self-defeating.

"Upright" is such a cliche' though and means nothing more than saying it. Unless you're face planted everyone who rides a bike is upright to some extent and it's always changing. People have different body types, different flexibilities and certainly different sensibilities about everything in general. How you're placed over the saddle and your foot placement has a big influence on the upper body, so just concentrating on the upper with considering everything else is misleading at best. Bike riding is a whole body experience, not to mention the "white elephant" in the room ..... which is we are not machines...mechanical.. material...... we are to put it blunty .... Infinity Itself.

Riding for joy of Riding Itself. ... Because We Are.

Brenden Perella

Apr 22, 2021, 12:52:04 PM4/22/21
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hey J ,

My name is Brenden and I have yet to post in the group yet but I do have a pair of Billie bars and a 12cm Tallux Stem to pair with it. I had the set up on my 59cm Atlantis and my 57cm Crust lightning bolt. If you would want to personally email me about price I’m more then happy to sell both the bars and stem to you!

Thanks
Brenden

On Apr 18, 2021, at 3:07 PM, Brenden Perella <brenpe...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hey J ,

My name is Brenden and I have yet to post in the group yet but I do have a pair of Billie bars and a 12cm Tallux Stem to pair with it. I had the set up on my 59cm Atlantis and my 57cm Crust lightning bolt. If you would want to personally email me about price I’m more then happy to sell both the bars and stem to you!

Thanks
Brenden

Doug H.

May 17, 2021, 9:50:23 PM5/17/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Brenden,
If you still have the bars and stem for sale I am interested.
Doug

Brenden Perella

May 18, 2021, 2:15:29 AM5/18/21
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Ed Carolipio

May 18, 2021, 2:37:48 AM5/18/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Maybe whatbars.com can help you make the choice? Noodles and Billie are in their database, but you'll have to pick a stand in for your Wavie bars (e.g., Surly Open, On One Mary). I use the comparisons to picture where my hand position would be on the new bars relative to where I typically place them on old bar, then I "shift" the bars mentally so the hand positions (new vs old) would be roughly the same distance from saddle-to-handlebar. That "shift" would be the difference between the old and the new stem.

[I went from a Billie to a Noodle on my Homer, so I dropped down from 110mm to 60mm, or about 50mm.]

--Ed C.

Joel S

May 18, 2021, 12:23:25 PM5/18/21
to RBW Owners Bunch

I went 2cm longer when I switched to Choco bars.

Jason Fuller

May 18, 2021, 6:36:31 PM5/18/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm not sure about your size, but in my size the App is about 1cm longer than the Sam.  Given that you're running a 9cm stem with Noodle on the Sam, I would personally go at minimum 11cm, but probably the full 13cm for a Billie bar! I run only a 5cm with my Noodle bar on my Sam, but in the hoods I'm 12-13cm ahead of that (so, 17-18cm full extension). To get that kind of forward position with the Billies I'd need a 12-13cm stem, since it curves only a few cm forward of the stem clamp. The grip area is so long that it's pretty forgiving if you're off by a cm or two though.

Doug Hansford

May 18, 2021, 8:24:29 PM5/18/21
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Is there much indication of use on the bar? Grip residue or scratches?
Doug

Sent from my iPhone

On May 18, 2021, at 2:15 AM, Brenden Perella <brenpe...@gmail.com> wrote:

Yes I do!