Lovely Blue Riv Custom

Ryan

Apr 15, 2023, 1:09:59 PM4/15/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Worth a look. The 2 Marks and Joe Bell have worked their usual magic.

I wonder if the custom program will ever return. I know Riv says it's a huge time and money sink, but I love seeing what people order for their customs and ogling the fine craftsmanship on display. Josh, whoever he is, must be thrilled after what was apparently a lengthy wait. But the result was worth it, judging by the pictures.

Just sayin'

Ryan

Matthew Williams

Apr 15, 2023, 3:36:55 PM4/15/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, that’s a beauty!

What is this star-shaped thing with threads, on the rear wheel?

wheel_star_thingy.jpg

Joe Bernard

Apr 15, 2023, 3:55:37 PM4/15/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Disc mount. Maybe he already had the hub on hand.

Ryan

Apr 15, 2023, 4:14:06 PM4/15/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Matthew...thanks for asking and Joe , thanks for answering...I was wondering that myself...my rear WI hub doesn't have that and since I own nothing with disc brakes I didn't even know what a naked disc-compatible hub looks like😊But you can see how the disc bolts on.

That bike almost begs for those madly expensive Onyx hubs...since I see the build is using what appears  to be a set of  Shimano CX-70 cantilevers. Or a garden-variety non-disc WI hub. But....I am nit-picking, I guess. If that's what I already had, given a bike north of ...8K at least

Joe Bernard

Apr 15, 2023, 5:23:43 PM4/15/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
I started with the proverbial "stuff I have" when I picked up my custom frame 3 years ago, I think I was rolling on the stock 650B wheels from a Clem. Later it got proper (non-disc) WI hubs laced to Velocity Atlas rims by the great Rich Lesnik 🙌

Ryan

Apr 15, 2023, 5:43:33 PM4/15/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
So did I for my A/R and Road. The mixte was pretty much all Riv-sourced as a complete build by Mark A and Rich-Lesnik built wheels... my retirement present to myself when I was flush enough to really push the boat out. I know that sounds indulgent but I don't regret it nor will I apologize for it.

brendonoid

Apr 15, 2023, 10:43:45 PM4/15/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
I really want to know more about this bike, Is it just an over sized Homer/sam or what is going on here? It is beautiful but seems to have way more clearance than is being utilised.

Joe Bernard

Apr 16, 2023, 1:51:45 AM4/16/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
It looks like my custom with a higher toptube..same lugs, same fillet BB shell, same road fork crown, same clearances. Mine was designed as a light-ish street bike that could handle non-touring loads and non-gnarly trails, with plenty of clearance for fat tires or narrower tires with fenders. I suspect this person's bicycle will see all that clearance filled eventually.

Joe Bernard

Apr 16, 2023, 1:52:37 AM4/16/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Screenshot_20230415_224405.jpg
Screenshot_20230415_224423.jpg

Eric Daume

Apr 16, 2023, 6:36:24 AM4/16/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
The external dyno wiring on such an expensive build looks... wrong.

Eric

E. Ricky Creek

Apr 16, 2023, 10:53:43 AM4/16/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
It has one of those new OEM Brooks B-68s. Jealous 😁

JohnS

Apr 17, 2023, 8:55:16 AM4/17/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
The color matched, with strips Silca Impero Ultimate frame pump looks great too!

JohnS

lconley

Apr 17, 2023, 9:33:55 AM4/17/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
I waited 18 months from order date to shipping date. I have actually spent more time assembling and changing parts than that. I still haven't posted a finished picture, as I have yet to tape the handlebars, still playing with stem length (90mm or 100mm Nitto lugged - ?).

I note that the blue custom is similar to mine (and I believe Joe's) in two ways - 1) no fancy Rivendell Custom lugs, just the standard Rivendell lugs and 2) a fillet brazed bottom bracket. I wonder if this is a result of Grant's evolving design philosophy - the existing stock of custom lugs no longer fit the new designs?

Laing

Joe Bernard

Apr 17, 2023, 10:08:15 AM4/17/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
"I note that the blue custom is similar to mine (and I believe Joe's) in two ways - 1) no fancy Rivendell Custom lugs, just the standard Rivendell lugs and 2) a fillet brazed bottom bracket. I wonder if this is a result of Grant's evolving design philosophy - the existing stock of custom lugs no longer fit the new designs?"

That was my guess, especially for my case where I requested a rather specific "make it extremely upright for my dodgy wrists" design.* I didn't know what lugs I was getting (didn't ask) and found that the simpler design plus fillets look great with the grey/red paint I requested. Don't tell anybody but I'd love to do another one with one color and all fillet joints.

*Fun fact: I started with a pic of a RANS Feet Forward bike as a design idea, Grant thought I was crazy 😂

Joe Bernard

Screenshot_20230417_070618.jpg

John S

Apr 17, 2023, 11:48:26 AM4/17/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
If you look closely, the hub is a White XMRT, which is their tandem hub (145mm spacing, QR, disk compatible). I wonder if the rear dropout has 145 mm spacing, and, if so, what the rationale was for designing it that way.