Northern Hemisphere Winter 2023-2024 Ride Photos

Ted Durant

Jan 1, 2024, 5:04:03 PMJan 1
to RBW Owners Bunch
Well, I guess I'm back up for starting the thread.

We haven't had much winter weather here, meaning no real snow, yet. A couple of days ago we had a beautiful, sunny day, temps around 40, and (for us) not a lot of wind. I took advantage and did the round-the-city-mostly-bike-paths loop. This is on the Hank Aaron trail. American Family Field isn't seeing much use these days, but it's just a handful of weeks before pitchers and catchers report down south.
IMG_1825.jpeg

A bit more blustery and a bit of sleet yesterday, but I managed to sneak in a bit of a ride. Today pal Kurt and I did a 100km effort. Forecast was for temps around 30 and some sunshine. You can see how that turned out. I'll take 100km on 1/1, though! Kurt's riding his Gunnar Sport. I bet that bike has over 30,000 kms on it, including an epic 200km on a bitter cold January 31st, to get him an R-12 just under the wire.
IMG_1829.jpeg

Ted Durant
Milwaukee WI USA

DavidP

Jan 1, 2024, 5:37:28 PMJan 1
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks, for getting us going Ted!

My last ride of 2023 and first ride of 2024 were both on a new single speed / fixed gear build I finished up last week (a Handsome Devil).

Yesterday was a shakedown ride of a few miles.

GR001-05061_handsome-1800.jpg

Today I got out for a mostly road ride with my son who is getting my previous single speed bike for the time being

GR001-05068_nat-1800.jpg

Happy New Year all!

-Dave (near Boston)

Bill Lindsay

Jan 1, 2024, 6:20:31 PMJan 1
to RBW Owners Bunch
I did a couple rides around and up Mount Diablo to finish up 2023.  The ride around Mount Diablo actually features steeper climbing than the ride up Mount Diablo, but they are both a good day's work.  I'm going to take a run at a Mount Diablo summit on Thursday.

Here's a shot of the Morgan Territory ride on 12/29: https://flickr.com/photos/45758191@N04/53428571996/in/datetaken/

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

Richard Rose

Jan 1, 2024, 7:01:23 PMJan 1
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Finished ‘23 yesterday with a 25 mile neighborhood ride with a touch of trail on Clem. Low 30’s (F) here in Toledo but dry. Got ‘24 off to a nice start with 20 miles on Gus, most of it on dirt. Same temps as yesterday but less wind in the woods. Nice rides both.
image0.jpegimage1.jpegimage2.jpeg
Sent from my iPhone

On Monday, January 1, 2024 at 5:04:03 PM UTC-5 Ted Durant wrote:
[...]

John Dewey

Jan 2, 2024, 10:58:49 AMJan 2
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Here’s CA winter yesterday…grey day by the bay.

Jock

John Rinker

Jan 2, 2024, 8:14:02 PMJan 2
to RBW Owners Bunch
Happy New Year to all! Already a great start to the Winter thread with some very beautiful bicycles. The color of the Ebisu is stunning! David, is that a Soma frame? Very lovely in white (or pearl, or snow, or tusk, or...)

Like everywhere, we are sorely lacking in proper Winter up here in BC. When we should be skiing we're still riding. Thank Thor, there's always riding! Here's a couple from my ramble along the Slocan River today.
IMG_2597.jpegIMG_2602.jpeg
IMG_2603.jpeg
Cheers, John

Sally Bidleman

Jan 2, 2024, 9:07:37 PMJan 2
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Deer Turkey J.jpg
Clem Platy New Year's Day 2024 J.jpgBottom photo ... Clem and Platypus...New Year's Day ... Redwoods at Cuesta...SLO...First Ride with the Platypus (if you don't count the ride through the rain from the bike shop a few days prior!)...Joy! Top photo is from today's ride...deer and turkey...backroads, etc., Cliff very happy because he found some mud, gravel and dirt:)

Cheers!

Bikie#4646

Jan 3, 2024, 10:05:10 AMJan 3
to RBW Owners Bunch
Jock Dewey, That bike is a vision of the perfectly proportioned bicycle in my opinion. Uncluttered, though there is a place for utilitarian racks, bags, etc. on bikes for other uses than the pure joy of riding. A lot of thought went into it, obviously, from the quietly understated color to the wheels, fenders, even the Acorn bag!  (Great backdrop too! How about a "Dewey bikes" calendar in 2025?)
Paul Germain
Midlothian, Va.

RichS

Jan 4, 2024, 3:50:08 PMJan 4
to RBW Owners Bunch
+1 on that Paul. Jock puts 'em together right!

Best,
Rich in ATL

John Dewey

Jan 4, 2024, 4:28:31 PMJan 4
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Paul & old pal, Rich. I appreciate the kind words. This all brings me great joy.

Jock

Tony Lockhart

Jan 5, 2024, 11:30:37 AMJan 5
to RBW Owners Bunch
IMG_2831.jpeg

Here’s a snapshot from this morning’s ride. Can’t resist stopping at the CalTech campus because of the variety in architecture.

New Leo is fully dialed in. Such a joy to ride.

Eric Marth

Jan 5, 2024, 10:29:36 PMJan 5
to RBW Owners Bunch
Nice pics everyone, always enjoy these threads!

Eric Marth

Jan 18, 2024, 6:53:16 PMJan 18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hello friends — Here is a pair of photos from yesterday and today's rides in Virginia. We got a few inches of snow earlier this week, overnight temps on Tuesday night got down to 9º. The roads are in pretty good shape without much slush or mess. More in the forecast for tonight and tomorrow.

IMG_9931.JPG

Cold ride, around 28º and 18 miles with nice sunshine.

IMG_9946.JPG

And today, overcast and a balmy 40º.
Message has been deleted

Steve

Jan 19, 2024, 10:14:18 AMJan 19
to RBW Owners Bunch

Eric, looks like you have some nice riding up there in VA (east of the Blue Ridge?)
Love the pic of the bike silhouetted against the cornfield. No snow in where I am (yet). Here's a pic from yesterday's ride (trigger warning - non Riv content):

0ADC8C0F-74C4-4086-B005-1D6F0F254F3A_1_201_a.jpeg

Steve in Asheville, NC

Eric Marth

Jan 19, 2024, 10:34:02 AMJan 19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Steve — Yep, east of the Blue Ridge in Fredericksburg.

That's a nice lookin' Ritchey, looks like a blast!

Stephen

Jan 20, 2024, 8:19:10 PMJan 20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Got to ride through a snowy central park on my way to work yesterday, its been fun commuting in the chilly weather this week but I'm lookin forward to some cozy 40 degree weather again..

central park.jpg

Elizabeth Zeeuw

Jan 21, 2024, 1:35:49 PMJan 21
to RBW Owners Bunch

Long time listener, first time caller! : ) I'm loving this thread so I thought I'd share some photos from a couple of recent rides in Maine. The first (on my Roadini) is from a 28-ish degree ride on Monday (most of the snow from the prior dump had melted) and the second is post-snowstorm, 22-ish degrees on an old Schwinn I had converted into a winter bike with studded tires. I'm looking forward to some chilly riding this weekend!
Schwinn.jpg
Leo.jpg

Charlie

Jan 21, 2024, 2:27:54 PMJan 21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi all,

We've had a few crazy storms up here in New England over the past couple weeks. Here's a shot near Hampton Beach, NH last week after the 2nd day of record high tides. A lot of Rt. 1A was flooded with quite a bit of damage as you can see where this parking lot used to exist.

The following day I rode up through York Beach, ME where the lawns and driveways of the ocean-front homes were completely covered in bowling ball sized rocks. Looked like every landscaper with a skid steer or excavator was on hand to dig people out. Pretty wild!

Not on my Sam Hillborne in this photo, but it is lugged steel!

IMG_4628.jpg

Charlie
Kittery, ME USA

Eric Marth

Jan 21, 2024, 8:26:08 PMJan 21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Ride 240121.jpg
Late afternoon, high-20s / low-30s ride today. Felt good to be out!

R Shannon

Jan 21, 2024, 10:45:54 PMJan 21
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Eric, you scored with that backdrop. Your Sam looks just right there. That run of black and cream Hillbornes was so good.

Best,
Rich in ATL

Steve

Jan 28, 2024, 10:29:43 PMJan 28
to RBW Owners Bunch
No snow  or ice around here, but we did have heavy rains last night. Knowing my usual woodsy routes would be a bit wet and squishy (aka Mud)  I elected to ride pavement today, though I did climb a short stretch of forest service road up to the Blue Ridge Parkway, then on toward Mount Pisgah. It wasn't a long one, but it gave me a chance to exercise my climbing legs; a bit over 1300' in about 7.5 miles for a 15 mile Out and Back.  Or  I could call it Up and Down.  The ride passed through two tunnels, including Pine Mountain Tunnel, the Parkway's longest at 1434'. BTW - that stretch of the Parkway is currently closed to motor traffic, making it all the better. I turned around at the Bent Creek Pass tunnel, which passes under the Parkway. I don't ride up there often, but every time I do there is new graffiti art waiting to be admired, or loathed, depending on your point of view.
2B1D9818-340E-4BA2-989B-8ABF5466F4F5.jpeg
49E61FF0-435A-44D4-A485-82FC3587107F.jpeg
E261E29F-7587-49DA-BE9F-115ACFAA7492.jpeg
67A1B987-260D-4A2A-ABBC-777A3D1CE8A6.jpeg

Heike Larson

Jan 29, 2024, 4:32:15 PMJan 29
to RBW Owners Bunch
Winter in Southern California can mean 77 degrees and sunny. I took my Appaloosa for a mountains-to-beach ride yesterday, with breakfast in a regional park in the foothills of Santiago Peak and lunch 22 miles and two hours later at a beach snack shack.

The whole ride - 50 miles with about 3,000' of climbing - was mostly on dedicated bike paths, with some non-busy neighborhood streets, and only maybe 5 miles along major arterials (sidewalk riding where no good bike lanes). Most people don't realize how many great bike paths we have here in Orange County!

IMG_2668.jpeg
IMG_2682.jpeg
IMG_2669.jpeg
IMG_2674.jpeg

R Shannon

Jan 29, 2024, 5:14:47 PMJan 29
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Heike, nice photography and Joe Appa. I envy you having such an attractive mix of terrain to ride and with good weather to boot!

Best,
Rich in ATL

Josh (BertoBerg)

Jan 31, 2024, 1:53:02 PMJan 31
to RBW Owners Bunch
My Homer overlooking the Sound. Mt. Rainier is in the background. An unusually warm January day for us!

14989057.jpg

John Dewey

Jan 31, 2024, 4:46:34 PMJan 31
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Your Ranier photo reminds me of this Tam photo. Distant relatives for sure.

Jock

On Wed, Jan 31, 2024 at 10:53 AM Josh (BertoBerg) <josh.yo...@gmail.com> wrote:
My Homer overlooking the Sound. Mt. Rainier is in the background. An unusually warm January day for us!

14989057.jpg

Josh (BertoBerg)

Jan 31, 2024, 4:51:40 PMJan 31
to RBW Owners Bunch
Cousins for sure! Good find.

Josh
Bainbridge Island, WA

Richard Rose

Feb 1, 2024, 1:50:54 PMFeb 1
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Stunningly beautiful pic & bike. I am no expert but that mountain looks decidedly inhospitable!
Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 31, 2024, at 1:53 PM, Josh (BertoBerg) <josh.yo...@gmail.com> wrote:

My Homer overlooking the Sound. Mt. Rainier is in the background. An unusually warm January day for us!

<14989057.jpg>

<14989057.jpg>

Kyle Cotchett

Feb 2, 2024, 1:57:14 AMFeb 2
to RBW Owners Bunch
Another homer has entered the chat. just bought and rebuilt from a fellow rbw owner here! Just did my first century on this steed and wrote up a little write report if you're interested! Happy riding folks!

DSC09521.jpg
DSC09523.jpg

Josh (BertoBerg)

Feb 2, 2024, 10:02:55 AMFeb 2
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Kyle-

I enjoyed the ride report. Looks like you guys made it through the locks. Lovely Homer! Maybe I’ll see you around Seattle.

Josh Youngberg
Bainbridge Island, WA

Patrick Moore

Feb 2, 2024, 6:52:40 PMFeb 2
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Perfect handlebar setup.

Kyle Cotchett

Feb 3, 2024, 3:28:07 AMFeb 3
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
glad you enjoyed it josh! we really are lucky with our routes out here in the PNW!

thanks patrick! i've become a real sucker for the twine and shellac. almost gone through a whole can between re wrapping my homer, my gf's atlantis, and my own atlantis the last few months!

Kyle

KYLE V. COTCHETT

An urban planner of sorts

kyleco...@gmail.com

(650) 863-0925

Keith P.

Feb 10, 2024, 6:57:46 PMFeb 10
to RBW Owners Bunch
IMG_3504.jpeg
Beautiful ride early this morning to the Point Vicente lighthouse.

I love a good lighthouse.

Keith
Los Angeles, CA

Eric Marth

Feb 10, 2024, 7:04:57 PMFeb 10
to RBW Owners Bunch
Looking very good Keith!

Here are a few from a grocery run.

IMG_0114.jpg
IMG_0132.jpg

Patrick Moore

Feb 11, 2024, 4:14:34 PMFeb 11
to rbw-owners-bunch
Well, we got a real snowfall yesterday, at least by our high desert standards; probably 2 or 3;" but it all melted on pavement within a few hours and mostly melted on dirt, only remaining this morning where trees blocked the sun. I rode the Matthews #1 ("road bike for dirt") along the usual ditchbank roads to church and negotiated many snowy stretches, about 1" deep, but the temps were just above freezing so the underlying and surrounding dirt had turned to mud; fortunately not very deep or, yet, thrashed up by other traffic, but enough to be slippery under the slick Soma Supple Vitesse 50s.

Aside, related, question: what would you choose for mostly sandy off road riding: 60 mm* Fleecer Ridges sans fender protection to keep the sand and, occasionally, the mud and water off you and your bike or, 50 mm* Oracle Ridges that you can probably use safely under the Kelpie fenders? I had decided to buy some Fleecers for a new wheelset but this morning's ride makes me think that 50s would be better all around. Second wheelset, with the Somas remaining for most all-rounder, country-style, hilly-bike on-and-off-pavement rambles (the Somas did surprisingly well in today's snow and mud).

* Per the specs, both 55 and 48 mm models in the EL casing ought to expand by several mms on 27 mm IW rims when installed without tubes.

image.png

Patrick Moore

Feb 11, 2024, 4:26:32 PMFeb 11
to rbw-owners-bunch
I should have added that each cm of width (with corresponding drop in pressure) adds very greatly to float over sand. 50s are the narrowest that I care to ride in sand, at 18 to 20 all round pressure; 60s are noticeably better at 17 or 18 all round; and the WTB Rangers at a non-full-expansion 72 mm at 13 psi were sit and push a 65" gear thru 3" sand that would have 50s skating and require deep downshifting, and require standing on the 60s.. I could grunt the Rangers thru 4" sand standing in a 65" single gear.

So, 60 vs 50 gives up a lot of float.

On Sun, Feb 11, 2024 at 2:13 PM Patrick Moore <bert...@gmail.com> wrote:
... Aside, related, question: what would you choose for mostly sandy off road riding: 60 mm* Fleecer Ridges sans fender protection to keep the sand and, occasionally, the mud and water off you and your bike or, 50 mm* Oracle Ridges that you can probably use safely under the Kelpie fenders?

Ted Durant

Feb 11, 2024, 6:57:34 PMFeb 11
to RBW Owners Bunch
I needed a break from Wisconsin Winter, so here I am in Pasadena, very glad to have some quality time with West Coast Sam.

Ted Durant

IMG_1890.jpeg

John Dewey

Feb 11, 2024, 8:41:34 PMFeb 11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Ted, you can ride laps around the Rose Bowl, one of my regular haunts. Then up through La Canada. No WI anywhere nearby ☀️🔥💥

Jock

Bill Schaefer

Feb 12, 2024, 9:18:21 AMFeb 12
to RBW Owners Bunch
Very gray in Pennsylvania this weekend, but not too cold, so I got out for some miles before the upcoming snow tomorrow.

IMG_4450.jpg

Chester

Feb 12, 2024, 3:47:03 PMFeb 12
to RBW Owners Bunch
We got a break in the recent rains and I figured it'd be nice to go for a ride during the Super Bowl, so went out on a not-long, flat loop to the Bay and the dirt/gravel Bay Trail, via a couple of the local paved MUP creek trails.

Rode past Levi's Stadium on purpose as a sort of joke for myself. We've got a lot of folks living in this area who are from other countries and not yet indoctrinated into the Church of Football, so the streets and trails didn't feel especially desolate for a Sunday around sundown.

PSX_20240212_115603.jpg

My saddle is tilted nose-high too high, but I was too lazy to adjust it and I guess it's not crazy high, since I rode 25 miles on it this way and it wasn't a big deal.

Chester
SF Bay Area

PSX_20240212_115801.jpg

PSX_20240212_115450.jpg

R Shannon

Feb 12, 2024, 6:15:29 PMFeb 12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Ted, your Hillborne looks like it sprouted from the desert! Nice bike and nice photograph. Have fun on your west coast sojourn.

Best,
Rich in ATL

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/d3802075-32d6-45a7-b368-fc7bb191441cn%40googlegroups.com.

Collin A

Feb 12, 2024, 7:38:19 PMFeb 12
to RBW Owners Bunch
A bit of a delayed post, but I swung up by Riv World HQ a couple weekends ago and got some moody mid-ride photos in. What isn't pictured is the muddy mess the bike was about 20-30 minutes later.

FYI, the cazaderos are not great mud tires...but most already knew that I'm sure
Riv Shell.jpg

Takashi

Feb 13, 2024, 10:48:41 AMFeb 13
to RBW Owners Bunch
We have very little snowfall this winter. I think I wrote the same thing in the previous winter, but even less snow now.
Anyway, here are a few photos from last Sunday.

Mt. Ontake:
DSC03502.jpg

Kiso Mountains:
DSC03509.jpg

Even with this little snowfall, I couldn't ride my bike on an unplowed road.
Here, my bike is standing without help of kickstand.
DSC03499.jpg

Takashi

2024年2月13日火曜日 9:38:19 UTC+9 Collin A:

Ted Durant

Feb 13, 2024, 4:05:33 PMFeb 13
to RBW Owners Bunch
On Sunday, February 11, 2024 at 5:41:34 PM UTC-8 John Dewey wrote:
Ted, you can ride laps around the Rose Bowl, one of my regular haunts. Then up through La Canada. No WI anywhere nearby ☀️🔥💥

Yeah, I could do that, but laps around the Rose Bowl get old pretty quick. Laps around Glendora Canyon and Glendora Mountain roads, on the other hand, ...
 IMG_1895.jpegIMG_1894.jpegIMG_1891.jpeg

Kyle Cotchett

Feb 13, 2024, 10:05:45 PMFeb 13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Love the photos from Japan! Thanks for sharing.

Tony Lockhart

Feb 24, 2024, 9:22:32 AMFeb 24
to RBW Owners Bunch

Early morning...Pasadena, CA
IMG_3410.JPG

Bikie#4646

Feb 25, 2024, 9:31:08 PMFeb 25
to RBW Owners Bunch
Tony, nice image! Just curious, is your bike a repaint? No cream head tube or accents?
I myself have a Homer which was restored and powder coated monochrome, except for modified decals. Since I also have a Sam Hillborne, it is nice to set it apart from that (and other Rivendells).
Paul Germain
Midlothian, Va.
IMG_7763.jpeg

John Rinker

Feb 25, 2024, 11:01:11 PMFeb 25
to RBW Owners Bunch
Among the Saguaro Sentinels. From a recent ride on The Queen's Ransom in the Sonoran desert.
IMG_0427.jpeg

John Dewey

Feb 25, 2024, 11:39:14 PMFeb 25
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Winter on the left coast.

Screenshot 2024-02-25 at 8.37.45 PM.png

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/0a798dae-c680-41d9-bc92-cb92b85b618bn%40googlegroups.com.

Tony Lockhart

Feb 26, 2024, 12:40:45 AMFeb 26
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hey Paul,
Beautiful Homer that you've got! I really like the bags and mustache bars.

I bought my Sam in December of 2009.....maybe in the first couple of runs? I'm not entirely certain. At any rate, those early ones didn't come with the accent head tubes. I've been daydreaming about getting the Sam repainted to a celeste or Homer blue....maybe even change ditch the canti posts and change over to side pulls. Haha, I know....sacrilege!

Paul Germain

Feb 26, 2024, 9:02:37 AMFeb 26
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Tony, Thanks for that bit of Hillborne history.  I

As to the brake change, if pulling a wide tire without deflating it, the Paul centerpulls open wide.

Paul

Drew Fitchette

Feb 26, 2024, 2:31:06 PMFeb 26
to RBW Owners Bunch
73 and sunny here in Atlanta. Snuck out on my lunch break for a quick ride on the Holdsworth. Swapped the Atlantis over to Toscos, and put the Albatross bars on this golden oldie.

Holdsworth Alba.jpg

Takashi

Feb 29, 2024, 8:17:37 AMFeb 29
to RBW Owners Bunch
Couple of photos from last Saturday.
Trees were white with snow, but hardly any snow on the road.

DSC03515.jpg

DSC03519.jpg

Takashi

2024年2月27日火曜日 4:31:06 UTC+9 drewfi...@gmail.com:

Tony Lockhart

Feb 29, 2024, 3:15:09 PMFeb 29
to RBW Owners Bunch
Lovely scenery, Takashi!

John Rinker

Feb 29, 2024, 6:03:16 PMFeb 29
to RBW Owners Bunch
Takashi, In the past week I've seen 3 things that make me remember Japan so fondly. I saw a lovely 'Rider's Lens' on Bikepacking.com of a quirky Japanese family who take brilliant photos, a video of an English fellow riding from Sapporo to Kyushu, and now your photos of very familiar roads and scenery. Perhaps one day I'll enjoy your beautiful country again. Cheers, John

Josh C

Mar 14, 2024, 9:54:33 AMMar 14
to RBW Owners Bunch
IMG_1170 Large.jpeg
I always forget that I have a kickstand on this one.

Eric Marth

Mar 14, 2024, 12:46:31 PMMar 14
to RBW Owners Bunch
A few from our ride in Louisa, Virginia yesterday. We did a nice 30 miles with perfect comfy and sunny weather :0)

Greg's 2009 Sam Hillborne and my Appaloosa.

240313 07 .jpg

240313 08S.jpg

240313 06.jpg

Tony Lockhart

Mar 18, 2024, 10:58:57 PMMar 18
to RBW Owners Bunch
IMG_3624.jpeg

I took Leo on an out-and-back, 36-miler from Culver City to Hermosa Beach earlier today. I stopped at the halfway point to enjoy a snack, watch the waves, and take in the sea breeze. I’m really enjoying this bike, and it’s official—I like it more than my Sam. 😯

Tony