eJoe

J Imler

Mar 12, 2019, 6:40:06 PM3/12/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
An eJoe is in the works. Has anyone tried an eJoe? I think it's gonna be great. I'm mainly doing so to hull my son up Mt. Diablo on the Burley trailer bike so we can bike camp together. It's not gonna happen otherwise. I'll report back as things progress... likely a hub drive rear wheel kit. I'm open to any ebuild advice.

Justin, Oakland

Mar 12, 2019, 6:54:36 PM3/12/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I’m jealous. I have dreams of an eClemL with discs modded on to haul my daughter.

-J

J Imler

Mar 12, 2019, 6:59:22 PM3/12/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
If you can dream it, you can do it. Walt Disney

Justin, Oakland

Mar 12, 2019, 7:39:15 PM3/12/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Walt Disney is welcome to bankroll this project. Or someone can buy my two extra frames and a stash of parts.

Dave Redmon

Mar 13, 2019, 11:50:17 AM3/13/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm in the market for a Riv e-bike mod of some sort, so I'm very interested in what you discover. Please keep us posted!

Joe Bernard

Mar 13, 2019, 11:57:46 AM3/13/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Joe Appaloosas are excellent candidates for rear- or mid-drive kits. It's a tough, stable frame with canti studs so you can get some strong brakes on there. Have fun!

J Imler

Apr 5, 2019, 7:52:36 PM4/5/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I couldn't go through with adding an e kit to my Appaloosa. I bought my son a 16in Specialized Hotrock and I got a 59 Grilver Clem L instead.

:)

Sam Kling

Apr 8, 2019, 11:45:22 AM4/8/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Does that mean we'll be seeing a e-Clem then? ;)

J Imler

Apr 27, 2020, 9:52:48 PM4/27/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
This project is back. I’ve got a mid-drive Bafang BBSHD (1500w capable) ordered. I plan on making some how-to videos during the install. I’ve read a lot, bought tools for the job including a 1970’s Impact Driver from Japan, mid-drive speciality components to protect the frame from torque overload, airplane grease, etc... My goal is to reach local regional or state park fun spots via bike with my boy in tow on his Burley trailer.

Any BBSHD owners out there?

Joe Bernard

Apr 28, 2020, 12:40:46 AM4/28/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Done it on a Cheviot and Clem, it's a relatively simple install if you're good with bike mechanics and follow the directions at Luna closely. I'm not sure what the impact driver is for, the only dedicated tool you need is the wrench for tightening the big nut and its locknut on the non-drive side.

One thing to note is the big washer those nuts butt up against is knurled to dig into the BB shell so the motor will (hopefully) not move under power. It's not a functional issue - I've removed motors and put the BB back in just fine - but it's a thing you can see if you put the bike back to unpowered later.

Joe Bernard

Apr 28, 2020, 12:45:24 AM4/28/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
"Straightforward" is the word, it's a pretty straightforward install. "Simple" will seem hilarious to anyone doing their first one, I've done five 😬

Rick Thompson

Apr 28, 2020, 7:04:33 PM4/28/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I did one, on a hardtail mtn bike which is now my commuter. As Joe says, the only special tools were to tighten those big locking nuts at the BB. I thought mine were tight enough first try, but the motor came loose and rotated down in under a thousand miles. I don't think you can overtighten. If mine comes loose again I will get one of those stabilizer bars that clamps to the chainstay, only about $20 and should work better. My other mechanical install issue was getting the chainring aligned, took a few trips to the local ebike shop for spacers at the BB and spacers on the ring. Each install may need some tweaks like that.

I think those high power mid-drives do need to depower when shifting, they are really hard on drive components. I did not use an inline shift cutout, instead use a cutout button. That has turned out to be useful as it works for shifting and also allows a quick way to go unboosted when maneuvering around cars or other objects at slow speeds.

Joe Bernard

Apr 28, 2020, 7:16:44 PM4/28/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yes, I use an inline cutout. The power cranking through the drivetrain is nothing to be trifled with.

Dave Redmon

Apr 28, 2020, 7:20:59 PM4/28/20
to rbw-owners-bunch
I have a Bafang front hub motor on my Sam Hillbirne with instrumentation and control by Grin Tech iof Vancouver, BC. With PAS as well as throttle, I can travel 28-36 miles on my 36V / 14.5 Ah battery. I have an anti slip lever attached to the front axle to retain the motor in my front dropouts. So far, I've found it to be a smooth set up. Grin does a good job with technical assistance.

Dave in Kansas

J Imler

May 5, 2020, 4:59:53 PM5/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I botched something up when I dissembled the motor for a gear greasing. It’s fully operational, and fun, but no speedometer reading. The 36t front ring helps for climbing but I see the 30t option down the road. Maybe a frame bag too.

We passed a roadie going uphill who seemed interested in a race of some kind. We came out on top and the boy sang songs most of the ride home after the park stop.
496691ED-3936-4A67-B31A-DDC9A9BD9747.jpeg
C7FCB7DB-5A53-4C2E-B310-74EA03C5C3E4.jpeg

Eric Norris

May 5, 2020, 5:41:35 PM5/5/20
to RBW
Wow. That does not look complicated at all.

On May 5, 2020, at 1:59 PM, J Imler <imle...@gmail.com> wrote:

I botched something up when I dissembled the motor for a gear greasing. It’s fully operational, and fun, but no speedometer reading. The 36t front ring helps for climbing but I see the 30t option down the road. Maybe a frame bag too.

We passed a roadie going uphill who seemed interested in a race of some kind. We came out on top and the boy sang songs most of the ride home after the park stop.

<496691ED-3936-4A67-B31A-DDC9A9BD9747.jpeg><C7FCB7DB-5A53-4C2E-B310-74EA03C5C3E4.jpeg>

J Imler

May 20, 2020, 3:36:00 PM5/20/20
to RBW Owners Bunch

cassette mod.jpeg

There were some questions regarding this cassette mod in the post ur riv thread so I'm bringing it back here.

This cassette modification is to help the chainline on the BBSHD with a less than 42t front ring.  I have a 36t front ring now, which moves the chainline to the right.  The BBSHD comes with a 52t (I think) front ring.  Since the 36t ring is smaller in diameter, and can't go as far left up over the motor, I moved cassette cogs around to manage the best possible chainline and gearing range.  It now has 5 gears, and the limit screws keep it from going to far inboard.  This cassette is the Sunrace 8 or 9 speed that came on my Clem L. There's a star screw on the back so you can unscrew that, then move the cogs around, with some limitations. I think I have all the gears I need now but I'd like to get the cassette 36t ring over to the right eventually.  I'll have to carefully drill some material from another cog to let the star screw sink in perfectly.  The BBSHD likes to spin, so a 1:1 ratio would be helpful climbing track or mountain roads.

J Imler

Oct 6, 2020, 4:18:56 PM10/6/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Ejoe has a new front end. Still working out the kinks but so far so good with geometry symmetry and loads of 40+ on the front.

IMG_2854.jpg

Patrick Moore

Oct 6, 2020, 7:33:51 PM10/6/20
to rbw-owners-bunch
I'd ride that bike! Very nice.

Patrick Moore

J Imler

Nov 1, 2020, 7:09:24 PM11/1/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
This AM was spent modifying an SKS Model B65 to fit a 20" wheel. Rivets were removed and hardware hacked up per usual, but I think it came out well. A dyno light was also installed.

IMG-3053.jpg

Patrick Moore

Nov 1, 2020, 7:19:11 PM11/1/20
to rbw-owners-bunch
Nicely hacked. Pray, what is the bike? Is it a folding bike or a "rigid"?

Although I sold my Dahon Hon Solo, I'm still tempted to get a Brompton, even though I don't (right now) have real use for a folder. But I can imagine that 60 mm tires make a huge difference with 20" or even more 16" wheels (don't know if Big Apples come in 16" size); the Hon took ~42s, and I installed Tioga Powerbands at about 40, and even these were far better than the ~30-32 mm OEM tires.

J Imler

Mike Godwin

Nov 4, 2020, 3:34:43 PM11/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I was eyeballing Mike Schiller's Breezer on ibob list for that exact purpose since it is disc brakes. But supply side economics is not in the right place right now.

Mike SLO CA

George Schick

Nov 7, 2020, 7:01:27 PM11/7/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have to admit that both creeping old age and ignorance may be playing a part, but I just am not understanding this thread.  For months now, maybe even years, Grant has ranted against the advent of the eBike for various reasons both environmental as well as physical.  Yet, here we are suddenly espousing it.  What gives?

Why this sudden embracing of this "new technology" with its dependence upon batteries and other components that make the use of "rare earth" elements, many of which, when removed from the ground either by direct force or by chemical extraction, have done major environmental damage to areas in China areas where such mining has occurred ( https://e360.yale.edu/features/china-wrestles-with-the-toxic-aftermath-of-rare-earth-mining ).  I thought the major thrust of Rivbike (and Grant) was to espouse the use of the human means of traveling.

Joe Bernard

Nov 7, 2020, 7:45:57 PM11/7/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
It's a matter of this isn't a Riv-sponsored group and some of us like these new lightweight motors and batteries on our bikes. They're not bicycles in the pure sense, they're a different thing that can be useful and fun. It just so happens that Riv frames make a very good base for a kit.

Joe Bernard

rlti...@gmail.com

Nov 7, 2020, 8:59:06 PM11/7/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Grant has ranted against carbs as well but we’re still eating bread.

In my case having an e-bike makes me take far fewer trips by car than I would without an e-bike. I’m not going to go car free because I like to drive but I do use my cars way less these days. I have a cargo e-bike so I am able to do virtually all of my shopping by bike. Including large Costco runs. I’m the dork with the huge package of toilet paper on the rear rack.

I don’t see myself ever getting a recreational e-bike anytime but that could change as I continue to age.

Robert Tilley
San Diego, CA

Sent from my iPhone