rack for Wald 139

J Schwartz

Apr 11, 2023, 8:29:38 PM4/11/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Greetings
I'm interested in racking my Wald 139 big basket and am curious what ppl are using for a rack.
I just got an email that the basket rack is back in stock at RBW, and I'm considering just buying it but I'm really just not onboard with spending $288 on a front rack despite how well it's made and special it is..  I may pull the trigger on it anyway but wanted to check here to see what users of the 139 are doing to attach it to the fronts of their bikes.
I already have an old Nitto R14 "Top Rack" that I know some people have used in the front and zipped a 139 on top.  Mine is older and doesn't have any diving board provisions so it's only 4 struts but I assume it's strong enough if installed well.   My intention was to use that rack on the rear of the bike though.
Any suggestions for a support for the 139 that isn't $288?
thanks
JS

Nick Lindsey

Apr 11, 2023, 8:55:20 PM4/11/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Have you considered a “Soma Lucas 3”?  Approx. $60 I believe.   Comes in black and silver. I have one and use it with a 137 and like it a lot.  Might work well with a 139.

Do keep the amount of weight you might want to carry (for safety) in mind though.

Nick

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 11, 2023, at 5:29 PM, J Schwartz <jasonas...@gmail.com> wrote:

Greetings

J Schwartz

Apr 11, 2023, 9:09:08 PM4/11/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks Nick
I haven't seen tha, but looking at it, I think it may be too small ...
the platform is 9.5" long so the 139 would hang 3.5" off the front .
Definitely keeping weight in mind and also surface area below the basket.  I suspect something both wider and longer would be best.

Keith Paugh

Apr 11, 2023, 10:11:38 PM4/11/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I have a Sim Works Obento under my 139 Half basket.

It has a slightly wider footprint than the other racks I researched, and has been fantastic.

Very stable & light. I’ve been really pleased.

That being said, if I was going to do it again (and might do anyway), I think I’d get a Pass & Stow rack.

I love that you can run your generator light cable internally, and I think the welded support struts look stronger and more nicely laid out than anything else I’ve seen.

The times I’ve seen a photo of a bike and said “ooo, what rack is that?!” - it’s usually been a Pass & Stow.

k.

On Apr 11, 2023, at 6:09 PM, J Schwartz <jasonas...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks Nick

lucky...@gmail.com

Apr 11, 2023, 10:50:04 PM4/11/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I really like my big Pelago rack which…I’d send a pic but it’s between bikes. But I’d recommend this one as well.

On Apr 11, 2023, at 19:11, Keith Paugh <keith...@gmail.com> wrote:

I have a Sim Works Obento under my 139 Half basket.

J Imler

Apr 12, 2023, 12:07:14 AM4/12/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
5F374059-3AD8-473D-B57E-6824546D4FD1.jpeg
R14 139 setup working well for me.

lconley

Apr 12, 2023, 8:29:52 AM4/12/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
VO Porteur - $165.
IMG_1621LQ.JPG

Laing
Delray Beach FL

Brian Turner

Apr 12, 2023, 9:00:20 AM4/12/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Laing, that's the most gorgeous Clementine I've seen yet! Bravo. I like the addition of the the cafe lock, too!

-Brian

Mackenzy Albright

Apr 12, 2023, 1:47:07 PM4/12/23
to RBW Owners Bunch

https://mementocycles.com/en/products/atlas-v3-stainless-raw

handmade in canada - USD shipped is probably pretty reasonablePXL_20220913_220339252.jpg

Luke Hendrickson

Apr 13, 2023, 2:31:59 AM4/13/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
164BB9A1-C5FD-4DD7-9E6A-865A52AD8E2A.jpeg
Pass & Stow always and forever

J Schwartz

Apr 13, 2023, 3:14:09 PM4/13/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks for these suggestions.  I hadn't heard of Pelago.   It certainly looks like it could do the trick on a budget.
Yes the P&S racks seem perfect but they are even more than the Basket Rack.  I'm sure they are priced correctly just saying...same thing applies re: my original post.
I hadn't thought of the Obentu.  It's also small (8.25" square for a 13" x 18" basket) but has 5-way attachment to the bike so that should help.
Think I'll give my R-14 a try first even though there's no diving board.
My intention is to be able to carry 2 grocery bags up front and/or farmers market hauls which can get heavy and a few miles so need to be smart about it....which may mean just ponying up for the Basket Rack.

Thomas McCause

Apr 13, 2023, 4:57:53 PM4/13/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have the  Blackburn Local Basket Front or Rear Bike Rack, One Size on my Big dummy, and it is bomber (if a little heavy).  It's discontinued, but if you can find one, I think you'll really like it.  It perfectly fits the welded Rockgeist bag that is built for the 139 basket.

Thomas

Jake Watters

Apr 17, 2023, 11:49:18 AM4/17/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
I use a soma porteur rack with a 139 basket. It's about the same width and a little bit deeper than the basket itself. It has low-rider pannier mounts as well. I was able to get one lightly used on craigslist and while I generally like it I have been thinking about getting a rack with a smaller  platform just so it's a little bit lighter. I used to have a 137 on a little rando rack- totally different situation but it never seemed like that rack needed more support. I wonder how much more stability there really is when you have full support under the basket- thinking maybe a few inches overhanging the sides is probably not that much worse for most occasions.

Randy Spencer

Apr 17, 2023, 11:49:52 AM4/17/23
to RBW Owners Bunch

I use a pass and stow and am happy with it. It’s supposedly lighter than the rbw rack and has a dynamo light mount.

Chris Clodfelter

Apr 17, 2023, 11:49:52 AM4/17/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I use the Sunlite and the Soma Champs Elysees for my 139.

Luke Hendrickson

Aug 12, 2023, 5:19:50 PM8/12/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
image.jpg

Revisiting this. I second the choice of a Lucas and don’t think a narrow platform need be prohibitive. I just snagged a NOS Nitto Highrider (35F). I opted to zip-tie some 400mm Nitto rack struts along the bottom if my Wald to deal with that. Just a thought.

John Rinker

Aug 12, 2023, 10:38:44 PM8/12/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
After looking at Luke's basket setup, I was wondering if anyone else has experienced their rack breaking apart due to the attachment with zip ties? The wires in the base of my first Wald broke in many places, and I believe it was the combination of rough riding and the zip tie attachments.

Since this first basket I have used Voile straps to attach my baskets to a RBW52F on my Hunq and a mini-front 32F on the Atlantis. As a result the racks still take the same abuse but no longer break. I'm guessing this has to do with a little bit more flexibility in the Voile straps.

Anyway, perhaps this might be a PSA of sorts.

Cheers, John

Luke Hendrickson

Aug 13, 2023, 12:37:57 AM8/13/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
John-

That’s a great idea, especially since I hate using zip-ties. Do you ever have any basket shimmy where it moves around from being on rough terrain? I used some prototype straps from Matt at Pass & Stow to secure this basket to a five rail I have of his and it did that a lot. Admittedly, those were cloth rather than the rubber of Voilé straps.

Luke in San Francisco

John Rinker

Aug 13, 2023, 11:22:36 AM8/13/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hey Luke, I don't really notice any basket shimmy on rough terrain. On rare occasions the basket will cant slightly but that's not an issue because it's easily tugged straight, and it's better than broken basket wires. All in all, it's a better solution for me. As a bonus, the basket is very easily removed without creating a plastic waste.

IMG_1852.JPGIMG_1853.JPG
Cheers, John

Minh

Aug 13, 2023, 11:30:04 AM8/13/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
just adding my exp.  i've had a wald basket on nitto racks for 10ish years.   personally i think the 139 is too big for the narrow racks like nitto mini front, and even the big front is too narrow IMO.    the best/most stable i used was with the platrack.  i'm using a 137 on an simworks obento rack now and find its a good combo.

also concur that you do have to worry about shimmy and overloading as it risks snapping the welds on the rack.  IMO, front rack loads should be mostly for light bulky loads

Luke Hendrickson

Aug 13, 2023, 11:55:11 AM8/13/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Minh –

Yeah, I’ve heard this time and again with Nitto racks and it’s good reminder for me as I’m coming from a Pass & Stow rack. Those have a recommended load of no more than 25 lbs., are rated to 50 lbs., and can take 200 lbs. ( I’d never do that of course, but it means that they are what I’d call truly idiot proof). I’ve loaded mine up with complete bikes on three different occasions with no ill effects save for horrible steering lol.

F79C5DF6-477B-43E8-BF1A-57FC815F0B69.jpeg

John Phillips

Aug 13, 2023, 5:47:12 PM8/13/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
+1 for Pass and Stow racks.

Old Man Mountain is now offering a wider platform Pizza Rack, but haven't tried it.

I would also recommend using the widest bars you're comfortable with for riding with big front loads, but YMMV.

Confession: I do not like big front loads.

John

Michael Baquerizo

Aug 14, 2023, 7:50:30 AM8/14/23
to RBW Owners Bunch

Not aure id this still works, but when i purchasedy basket rack, it was cheaper, even with shipping to get it frok  boue lug  the plus was any small afditionals hardly added to the shipping cost, so it justified some toss ins. i’d imagine the prices are still similar, but it seems like there are a nice bit of options from you to choose from anyway.

separately, laing, i see you’re using the cell orange anti flop thing. i have one as well but it isn’t stretched out half as much as yours. would you say it works optimally that way? i’ve never been a big fan of its function

greenteadrinkers

Aug 14, 2023, 11:12:05 AM8/14/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Have you considered a couple of those inexpensive banjo brothers grocery store panniers and a rear rack? You mentioned wanting to carry two grocery bags worth of stuff or an equivalent haul from the farmer's market. I'm just thinking would easily solve problems related to having of a lot of weight above your wheel.
Best,
Scott

Michael Baquerizo

Aug 15, 2023, 9:30:41 AM8/15/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
iphone + google groups = tons of typos.

what i meant to say is (and now i see its currently out of stock) buying my basket rack from blue lug was cheaper despite the crazy shipping price from JP. allowed me to add some throw ins and justify the shipping for those. i'd like not have purchased anything otherwise.

laing - do you find the velo orange anti - flop thing works better with it stretched out as you have it? i've never been too happy with its function but mine isnt stretched out as much as yours is. i've actually stretched it more since initially installing it and i don't know i see the difference.

John Phillips

Aug 15, 2023, 12:27:18 PM8/15/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
   +1 for Voile straps for attaching baskets to racks.
I haven't broken any wires on my baskets, but my zip-ties seem to break on their own. I used to find broken zip-ties sometimes when I did a quick bike & rack check before heading out. The zip-ties never broke while I was riding, but would expire in their sleep between rides. Switching zip-tie brands didn't help, and always parked my bike inside.
I switched to Voile straps without any problems, and now it's quick to add or remove a basket in seconds any time I want.

John

Eric Floden

Aug 15, 2023, 12:47:04 PM8/15/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Here's an oddity. I bought a couple of Voile straps for future use, around 2019. I stored them atop the donut spare in our Forester. Last month, I accessed the space and both straps were broken. Not a clean cut, but close to it. I wouldn't suppose that it means anything for other users,  but that is my report...

So I tossed some other type of steap in there. I hope it holds up

EricF
Golden Lake ON

John Phillips

Aug 15, 2023, 2:00:35 PM8/15/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Eric, were the straps degrading, or were just broken, or cut, or?

John

Eric Floden

Aug 15, 2023, 3:15:21 PM8/15/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
No sign of degradation that I could see. I am sorry now I did not keep them. I  was packing the car for a drive across the country,  saw that damage, and tossed them. Hopefully a once-in-a-lifetime thing...