WTB: mixte/step-through frame+fork or partial, for friend (also, wheelset?)

Patch T

Sep 18, 2020, 10:15:41 AM9/18/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hello Bunch!

On the hunt for a frame+fork/partial/complete to build up a commuter/fun bike for a friend. They're largely afraid of cycling, but we recently did a gentle 8-mile-each-way ride to the beach out on Long Island and they absolutely loved it, all of it, except for the bike, and I don't blame them! I won't talk trash on this bike, that's not very nice, but let's just say they're ready for a new rig :)

They strongly prefer a mixte or step-through, as they feel safer on one. No camping or loaded touring planned, but I'd love to rig a basket for their errands, picnics, commuting, etc. Planning a build very much in line with Rivendellish state of mind. Here are some further preferences/details I (we) have:
  • PBH: 78.75
  • Height: 5' 6.75"
  • likely 700c, but open to other (also possibly looking for a budgety wheelset!)
  • rim-brake
  • lightweight steel tubing (has to walk up flights of stairs to their apartment)
  • any rideable/reliable condition is great: beausage + "anti-theft aesthetic" welcomed
  • we're on a budget - I have spare parts and will be donating my time; a frame under 400 (post-shipping) would be a dream, less is even dreamier
  • can accommodate for gears, but we're open to different versions of gearing set-ups
  • what am I forgetting?
Meanwhile I'm closely watching the internet; but would also appreciate links to any candidates you may happen to see on your own bicycle perusings!

Thanks!
Patch
BK/NY
ptroffer at gmail dot com

Dave S

Sep 18, 2020, 11:45:42 AM9/18/20
to RBW Owners Bunch

IMG_5270.JPG

How about an as found, late 60's, dayglow orange (I think they called this color Lava) Atala?  Doesn't tick all the boxes but it's waaaay less than $400 and somewhat local.

Dave in NJ

Mark Roland

Sep 18, 2020, 10:21:51 PM9/18/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I like projects like this, because I get to shop and somebody else gets to spend the money and do all the work.
For somebody that size and disposition, don't rule out 26" vintage mtbs "ladies" frames. Here's one I fixed up for a friend earlier this summer:

IMG_20200420_083331_545(1).jpg

For 700C, the Schwinn Le Tours make a great townie:

IMG_20191018_133850795(2).jpg

IMG_0167(1).JPG

And if you can find a 1940s Bianchi 650B city bike, that makes a great platform!

MVIMG_20190112_144006008(1).jpg

Good luck,! Great project!

kim young

Sep 19, 2020, 9:26:20 AM9/19/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Gahhh—That was like hitting ‘mixte’ jackpot!
So fabulous.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/300878e4-9680-48b9-bba4-bb03eb353877o%40googlegroups.com.

Patch T

Sep 19, 2020, 9:58:21 AM9/19/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Mark - Thanks for the inspiration! I feel the same about these projects :)

Michael Morrissey

Sep 19, 2020, 10:09:31 PM9/19/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
https://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/bik/d/new-york-light-trek-21sp-tuned-like-new/7199441898.html

Get this! You can easily make it close to a Rivendell style.