What saddles are women using on their Riv mixtes?

Linda G

Feb 2, 2022, 4:04:36 PM2/2/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I am curious about this because I have tried different saddles on my non-Riv (but similar) lugged steel Velo Orange mixte. What I am looking for may not exist but someone may know of or be using a saddle I haven't run across. I've tried a Brooks B17s, Terry Cite-x and an old Avocet women's touring saddle. The honey brown B17s looks the best but is just not that comfortable. The slippery finish and flared side skirts seem to be part of the problem. I don't really want to punch holes in the skirts and try to tie it together like some people do. The Cite-x is about the size of the Brooks and quite comfortable but looks like an overstuffed sofa. I don't mind the modern look of the Terry touring saddles I have on my other 2 bikes, including a Roadini, but I just don't like the look of the Cite-x. The touring saddles are a little too narrow for the mixte. I'm not interested in the Brookes with springs. If the Brooks Cambium came in a short version I would try that. Normal length saddles feel unsafe for me since I catch clothing like baggy shorts on the nose or it just makes getting on and off the bike more difficult. Any experiences or thoughts?
Linda

Joe Mullins

Feb 2, 2022, 4:07:02 PM2/2/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
My better half has a Brooks C-19 on her Platypus with albatross bars. She likes it!

On Feb 2, 2022, at 1:04 PM, Linda G <orego...@msn.com> wrote:

[...]

Jay Lonner

Feb 2, 2022, 4:09:38 PM2/2/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
My wife likes the B68S on her Cheviot.

Jay Lonner
Bellingham, WA

Sent from my Atari 400

On Feb 2, 2022, at 1:07 PM, Joe Mullins <jmlmu...@gmail.com> wrote:

My better half has a Brooks C-19 on her Platypus with albatross bars. She likes it!

lconley

Feb 2, 2022, 4:41:41 PM2/2/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
My wife has used a Brooks B-68S (which came with pre-punched holes from Brooks and various color laces in the box) and currently has an Ergon saddle of some sort. She prefers the looks of the Brooks - used the red laces to go with the red frame detailing and red cable housings, grips, and bag on the Betty. I don't think she finds any difference in comfort between the Brooks or Ergon. All of my Brooks Aged saddles came with pre-punched holes. I have been using the remaining laces that came with the B-68S on my other saddles.

Resized_20200330_120439 (2).jpeg

Laing

JAS

Feb 2, 2022, 4:50:23 PM2/2/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Linda!  I have used many different saddles over the years including Avocet and several Terry models.  I was never comfortable!  When I discovered Selle Anatomica, it changed everything.  It's the only saddle I ride now and have them on my Bike Friday with drop bars (touring bike) and both the Platy and Clem L.  I've always had the model with the steel rails (X1) and decided to get the newer version (X2) with the aluminum frame for my Platy.  OOPS!  The rail length is shorter on the X2 and I couldn't get enough set-back.  Rather than replace the seat-post, I ordered another X1 and am very happy with it.

Check out their website; they often have returns or seconds on their sale page under "garage sale."

If you're interested, I'd sell you my X2 (tan color "tool leather with silver rivets") for $100 plus shipping. I installed it, rode it for 10 miles and removed it from the bike so it's essentially brand new.  The underside has been waterproofed with SA saddle sauce, per manufacturer's directions.  I don't know the geometry of your bike so I can't comment on whether you'd have the same set-back issue that I had.  Contact me off-list if interested.

RivSisters,
Joyce

Bill Lindsay

Feb 2, 2022, 4:50:53 PM2/2/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Speaking for all humans who have had to search and search for saddles that work for them:  Once you've found a saddle that works, stop caring what it looks like.  If you are sitting on it, you aren't looking at it!  :)

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

Linda G

Feb 2, 2022, 5:13:07 PM2/2/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks for all the responses.
Bill: Excellent advice! I may end up following it.
Laing: That B68s looks very good but I don't think Brooks makes it anymore. It's not on their website that I could find. I seem to remember something from one of the Riv newsletters about it being no longer available.
Joyce: Thanks for your offer but I think the nose is too long on the Selle Anatomicas.
The other two ideas for Brooks saddles were also good. The C19 might work but not sure I would spend the money since it's not as short as I like.
Linda

lconley

Feb 2, 2022, 5:28:59 PM2/2/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yes, the B-68 is out of production, but I buy 2 or 3 brand new ones a year, they are out there - eBay usually and Bike Inn just had some a month or so ago. There is a brand new B-68 Imperial (with the laces) on eBay right now for an obscene price. I offered a $100 for it, which was rejected immediately. I have quit buying though - I have them on most of by bikes now. Once I tried a B-68 and decided it was the saddle for me, I kept an eye out for them.
I also have some Rivet Loveland saddles, which are basically the same size as the B-68 and have chrome rails. FYI - Rivet Saddle Works is owned and run by a woman if that is of interest.

Laing

Joe Mullins

Feb 2, 2022, 5:29:21 PM2/2/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Where do you live Linda? I believe Golden Saddle in Los Angeles has a C-19 demo saddle.

On Feb 2, 2022, at 2:13 PM, Linda G <orego...@msn.com> wrote:

Thanks for all the responses.

Ryan

Feb 2, 2022, 6:26:33 PM2/2/22
to RBW Owners Bunch

When I ordered my mixte from Riv late 2015 , I got the Brooks Select B-17 model.

Linda, I definitely hear you about baggy shorts catching on the nose of the saddle and I've done that more than once ; not a problem with a saddle cover in wet weather however. Not too much of an issue when I wear those Levi commuter shorts and I feel I really should acquire some more of those shorts; that gusset helps although a Google search reveals that I might be SOL .

That being said, I did use Avocet touring gel saddles in the late eighties but got to dislike them. I did like the Avocet racing saddle specced with the X0-1, however. Since 1997 I've been using Brooks B-17 Standards and the fancier ones, and I have an old Ideale 90 on my PX-10 , equivalent to the old Brooks professionals. I had a woman's model B-17 that I didn't like(too short, too wide) , and since it was in good shape, sold it to a list member. Aside for baggy shorts catching on the nose I do like B-17's a lot . I feel like the leather used on the new B-17's is not as robust as older models...as a matter of fact my early 70's Ideale is still in terrific shape with minimal maintenance. I remember when I had my Peugeot sitting in the bedroom under the south-facing window, I noticed the saddle looked dry, and smeared Vaseline over it , because that was what I had available. My son was just a baby then , hence the Vaseline.😊

Good luck in your search!

Lesli Larson

Feb 2, 2022, 6:44:43 PM2/2/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I used a wider Brooks saddle that was "pre-softened" and came with a slightly textured or weatherized top. I'm not sure if they still make this model. The only one I see with a similar profile comes with springs: https://www.flickr.com/photos/archivalclothing/2495391987/in/album-72157605078010434/

I tend to like the wider top of the Brooks for more upright city riding.

I also like the Pearl from Rivet cycles: https://rivetcycleworks.com/product/the-pearl/

Best,

Lesli

Richard Rose

Feb 2, 2022, 7:34:02 PM2/2/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
If you can find a dealer for SQ Labs I would check them out. At the very least you can give their website a look & order their free fit kit. I did the fit kit, figured out my suggested size & preferred riding position & found the recommended saddle. Then I stumbled into a used one. It is the most comfortable saddle I have used in 45 years of cycling. I know everyone is different but I would tell anyone to give them a try. I was really tempted to give a Brooks a try (based on looks alone) on my Clem but did not want to risk the $$$ when I had a saddle I liked so much.

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 2, 2022, at 4:09 PM, Jay Lonner <jay.l...@gmail.com> wrote:

My wife likes the B68S on her Cheviot.

Linda G

Feb 2, 2022, 7:47:04 PM2/2/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Lesli,
    That photo looks like it may be the B68S that is no longer available. A couple of others have recommended it as well. Too bad but I'll keep my eyes open for something similar.
Linda

Roberta

Feb 2, 2022, 10:09:25 PM2/2/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Linda
I found Selle Anatomica more comfortable than the Brooks B17. Then, my sits bones experienced a Brooks B68 and are really happy!  I have that on Homer and Platy, and B67 (same top as b68) on my mixte commuter.
Miles of smiles,
Roberta

Nick Payne

Feb 2, 2022, 11:38:16 PM2/2/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
After having tried quite a number of different saddles over the years, my wife has the Selle Italia Lady Gel flow saddle (in the 160mm wide L size) on all her bikes: https://www.selleitalia.com/en/saddles/lady-gel-flow-s/.

Nick

Sofie C

Feb 3, 2022, 9:03:36 AM2/3/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
On my platypus (soon to be on my Clem), I've tried the B17 regular, B17 special, B67s, and have settled on the speedy but comfier to me Gilles Berthoud Marie Blanque.

Linda G

Feb 3, 2022, 10:33:00 AM2/3/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks for all the good ideas. That Berthoud Marie Blanque looks good: leather with the shorter length I like.

John Phillips

Feb 3, 2022, 12:05:44 PM2/3/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
My wife like the B67 on her tiny 47cm Betty Foy and she uses the Nitto lugged seat post.

A lot rides on figuring out how wide your sit bones actually are. Mine are wider than average so I'm not comfortable at all on B17's or C17's. I like the wide Berthoud saddles, Aubisque & Vars, because I don't get thigh rub but they're wide enough for my sit bones.

John

Jared Wilson

Feb 3, 2022, 1:32:08 PM2/3/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Ariel is pretty happy with her Brooks B67s, but would opt out of springs if doing it again.

Jared

Sofie C

Feb 3, 2022, 5:36:42 PM2/3/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Oops I meant that the Marie Blanque is "spendier" not speedier! It's beautiful in person too.

Roberta

Feb 3, 2022, 5:38:32 PM2/3/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I think Rivet has some shorter nosed saddles, too.  Good reputation.  I've never ridden one, though.

Bicycle Belle Ding Ding!

Feb 3, 2022, 9:07:08 PM2/3/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
FECE4CC1-CCA6-48D0-A2BA-33437A674267.jpegI have a white leather Rivet on my raspberry Platypus! It is shorter, but also that means it cheats you of some setback on your seatpost. I love it for comfort though. Rivet Sonora.

Leah

Linda G

Feb 4, 2022, 12:16:59 PM2/4/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks for all the recommendations! Rivet does have a couple of models that are shorter and, though generally more expensive than Brooks, are not as expensive as the Gilles Berthoud Marie Blanque. As far as unsprung models for more upright riding, Brooks doesn't have anything currently available except B17S. I'm not sure the Berthoud is even available in the U.S. except by order from France. I haven't run across anything non-leather that would look good on the bike and be functional. One thing I learned from this search is to measure my sit bone width which makes the likelihood greater of having success from ordering a saddle I can't try in advance. Rivet does have a good return policy though.
Linda

John Phillips

Feb 4, 2022, 1:30:23 PM2/4/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Rene Herse sells the Gilles Berthoud saddles in the U.S.

John

Steve Cole

Feb 5, 2022, 8:03:31 AM2/5/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
And Gilles Berthoud also ships to the U.S.  Very good to work with and very fast delivery -- 2 or 3 days.  And likely to be less costly than purchasing stateside.

Steve Cole
Arlington, VA

Thomas Blak

Feb 5, 2022, 6:48:40 PM2/5/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
My wife has a Brooks B67 short on her Betty Foy and she doesn't complain. On her Brompton she has a Brooks B17 short.

John Hawrylak

Feb 5, 2022, 9:26:54 PM2/5/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Linda

Gyes makes leather saddles with a lace on the bottom of the skirt to minimize spreading.  If you like the B17, other than spreading, they may be worth a try.
Here is the link to their website   Gyes.   I do not know who sells them.

They made the VO Model 3, a B17 clone, which I am using and like better than my B17s.   The leather is thicker than B17 and does spread as much or need tightening as often.   They make Brookes clones and they make a '15' model which I think is a shorter B17.

Just a reminder, if your bars are at or below saddle height, a more upright saddle (e.g. B68 & its clones) may not work for you since you are less upright.

John Hawrylak
Woodstown NJ

Pam Bikes

Feb 6, 2022, 10:30:43 AM2/6/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
B68S on my Betty.  I'd post a picture but then I'd get all the comments about the nose being too up.  I have a spare for when I need to repair it.  Keep an eye out for them.  You may find one.  I've heard great things about Selle and Giles Berthoud too.  Keep adjusting it.  MM make a big difference.