Saluki, first ride

Joel S

Mar 18, 2022, 3:25:31 PM3/18/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
94A4BDD3-7098-4E68-A063-89DFAD04AC39.jpegToday the weather was perfect, I had to stop to take off my windbreaker and I probably could have worn shorts.  So the bike is very smooth, I don’t remember how my too big 56cm rode anymore but this 54 is pretty much perfect.  Outfitted with everything from my 55cm Bleriot except the brakes.  I was quite surprised by the ride as if memory serves it felt different than the Bleriot.  Very stable (more surefooted than the Bleriot), no surprises in handling.  The one difference is that when I put the seat on this (which was always attached to the seatpost from the Bleriot the setback is a bit more).  I always ride with my seat set levels as this just works for me.I really have no idea why it felt so good but it had me questioning the Hillborne which always felt more sure footed than the Bleriot, but I will ride that after awhile on this one and see. After riding the Hillborne on rollers all winter the muscles that were not used are letting themselves be known.  I am very pleased that I bought this frame, just lovely in every way.

trim.1C5BE4B6-3B45-4803-9071-53DF24981CAA.MOV

Matt Beecher

Mar 18, 2022, 4:21:08 PM3/18/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
That's a nice bike and build. The Saluki is one of my favorite bikes, if not the favorite.  Congrats on the acquisition.

Best regards,
Matt in Oswego, IL

Jon Dukeman

Mar 18, 2022, 4:24:47 PM3/18/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Great News. Nice photo😀

On Fri, Mar 18, 2022, 1:25 PM 'Joel S' via RBW Owners Bunch <rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
[...]

Johnny Alien

Mar 18, 2022, 4:44:55 PM3/18/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm super pumped to see this working out for you!! Great build!

John Bokman

Mar 18, 2022, 5:02:48 PM3/18/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Sweet looking ride you got there. Congratulations.

JRStern11

Mar 18, 2022, 5:20:56 PM3/18/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks John.

Sent from ProtonMail for iOS

JRStern11

Mar 18, 2022, 5:23:25 PM3/18/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Johnny, it is working great.  At first I was a bit concerned because the steerer tube was cut shorter than my other bikes but no problem, bars are high enough for sure.  You did me right, thank you.

Joel

Sent from ProtonMail for iOS

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/1ee946de-d43d-4470-b0ac-e61b0508d750n%40googlegroups.com.

JRStern11

Mar 18, 2022, 5:24:56 PM3/18/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Jon.  My wife always wants a picture and video when the season starts.

Sent from ProtonMail for iOS

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/CAMO8PLgeukTjQ9-0Qkj4Y8zG0y4hNkc5C%3DPPLK6N3USw5ggwkA%40mail.gmail.com.

JRStern11

Mar 18, 2022, 5:26:34 PM3/18/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Matt.  I had mentioned to Johnny that if he was ever going to sell it I wanted it.  He remembered and was so overly fair.

Joel

Sent from ProtonMail for iOS

Matt Beecher

Mar 19, 2022, 9:52:26 AM3/19/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Joel,

I've had similar requests to keep others in mind if I sell mine, but I cannot imagine letting it go.

I'm a bit curious how many were made, but always assumed they rarely go up for sale because they are spectacular bikes.

Best regards,
Matt in Oswego, IL

Joel S

Mar 19, 2022, 10:47:55 AM3/19/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Matt, great link and beautiful Saluki.  Love the color.  I don’t think that many were made but just a guess as they rarely come up for sale.  Bleriots rarely come up for sale as well.  My first Saluki, the 56cm that was too large was green with sidepulls which I prefer but happy to have gotten any Saluki.  I prefer sidepulls due to hand issues and I find them easier to open up to remove a ties.  This was my first one…. I hope it is still with the second owner.  6FA629B9-74EE-44D9-84FD-CEDAA7366424.jpeg

J J

Mar 19, 2022, 12:09:23 PM3/19/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Fantastic Saluki. It looks like a perfect build. Congratulations on your first ride.

JRStern11

Mar 19, 2022, 1:11:23 PM3/19/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Junes, thank you. I love using NOS Suntour stuff whenever possible.

Sent from ProtonMail for iOS

RichS

Mar 19, 2022, 3:27:18 PM3/19/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Looks good Joel. Congratulations on getting the right sized Saluki the second time around. Nice front and rear bag combo too.

Best,
Rich in ATL
(Saluki and Suntour fan)

Joel S

Mar 19, 2022, 3:44:31 PM3/19/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks Rich.  I wasn’t sure if the bags would work when I got the frame but I like it now. The size is great, it would work for you too.

Jason Fuller

Mar 20, 2022, 1:45:32 PM3/20/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Excellent to hear it's working out as you'd hoped!  Looking forward to more photos and ride reports as spring and summer approach.

JRStern11

Mar 20, 2022, 3:20:31 PM3/20/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Jason, thank you.  I have a feeling this will move into #1 position.

Sent from ProtonMail for iOS