Lookie at my new to me Saluki!

Justin Schoop

May 8, 2019, 7:56:50 PM5/8/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Received this beautiful Saluki today. My favorite frame that Rivendell has produced and I'm so thankful to have this canti Saluki. I love the setup for kid hauling and family cruises. I intend on adding a few things like fenders and a dynamo but other than that, I think it's perfect for what I was looking for. It's serial # is SA0013, lucky 13! I'll take some time this weekend to take nice pictures if the weather cooperates.

Justin
good.jpg

Tim Bantham

May 8, 2019, 8:35:44 PM5/8/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
That is a lovely bicycle. Congratulations!

jeffrey kane

May 8, 2019, 9:08:09 PM5/8/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
That's a good one, alright: great color AND canti bosses!

Karl

May 8, 2019, 9:33:12 PM5/8/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Beautiful!!

Karl
Nash. TN

Hetchins52

May 8, 2019, 10:09:05 PM5/8/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Looks gorgeous! Just out of a time capsule?
Big frame -- What size is it?

David
Berkeley, CA

On Wednesday, May 8, 2019 at 4:56:50 PM UTC-7, Justin Schoop wrote:
Received this beautiful Saluki today. My favorite frame that Rivendell has produced and I'm so thankful to have this canti Saluki. ....

Justin Schoop

May 8, 2019, 10:23:00 PM5/8/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I am the second owner and I don't believe the original owner used the bike that often. Definitely out of a time capsule. It's a 62cm

tc

May 9, 2019, 8:45:56 AM5/9/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
A really eye-catching bike.  I don't think I've seen one that large.  Awesome green, too.  Congrats Justin!

Tom

Justin Schoop

May 9, 2019, 8:53:40 AM5/9/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm in the East Coast. But I want to say the owner of Rivelo in Portland has the same frame,size and color.

M G

May 9, 2019, 10:03:38 AM5/9/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
The Saluki is a great and interesting bike for sure.  I had this one for awhile, bought from a list member, and then i sold it to another list member [Rob Harrison - do you still have - are you still here?] - it was Saluki #1.  Curious to know where it is now. Anyone?  Lots of kid hauling, grocery hauling and so on.
IMG_1296.jpeg

Justin Schoop

May 9, 2019, 10:08:31 AM5/9/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I had a butterscotch 62cm Saluki before, which I loved but parted with over a year ago.

This new Saluki is definitely going to be a kid hauler and light tourer. I mainly use my lightning bolt for longer touring. The Saluki really completes my stable as of now. Being a comfy "cruiser" country bike.

Justin Schoop

May 9, 2019, 10:13:44 AM5/9/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
MG, did it by chance have a dent in the downtube near the top water bottle cage bolt? If so, I owned that same frame. I believe I bought the f/f/h, cranks and brakes. I can post a pic later.

M G

May 9, 2019, 12:54:28 PM5/9/19
to RBW Owners Bunch

On Thursday, May 9, 2019 at 10:13:44 AM UTC-4, Justin Schoop wrote:
MG, did it by chance have a dent in the downtube near the top water bottle cage bolt? If so, I owned that same frame. I believe I bought the f/f/h, cranks and brakes. I can post a pic later.

I don't remember a dent there;  though there might have been one.  I think that when i shipped it to Rob (on the west coast) - i didn't do a great packing job, and it arrived with a dent from a loose piece in the box; and he was [rightly] upset, but it was ok.  Or that could have been another dent, or something subsequent to my tenure.

M G

May 9, 2019, 1:19:17 PM5/9/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
He sold it to a guy in Maryland (i just pinged him and asked). So....

Justin Schoop

May 9, 2019, 1:30:59 PM5/9/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I'm the guy in Maryland.

Justin Schoop

May 9, 2019, 1:53:00 PM5/9/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Our past saluki.

On Thursday, May 9, 2019 at 1:30:59 PM UTC-4, Justin Schoop wrote:
I'm the guy in Maryland.

On Thursday, May 9, 2019 at 12:54:28 PM UTC-4, M G wrote:

On Thursday, May 9, 2019 at 10:13:44 AM UTC-4, Justin Schoop wrote:
MG, did it by chance have a dent in the downtube near the top water bottle cage bolt? If so, I owned that same frame. I believe I bought the f/f/h, cranks and brakes. I can post a pic later.

I don't remember a dent there;  though there might have been one.  I think that when i shipped it to Rob (on the west coast) - i didn't do a great packing job, and it arrived with a dent from a loose piece in the box; and he was [rightly] upset, but it was ok.  Or that could have been another dent, or something subsequent to my tenure.

IMG_0535.jpeg

REC (Roberta)

May 9, 2019, 5:10:44 PM5/9/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hey, Justin.

First, congratulations on the new ride.  The Saluki and the AHH are supposed to ride the same, but have a better name?  Is that right?

I expect to be at the Baltimore Biking Spring Fling with my Butterscotch Appaloosa.  Any chance you'll be there?  It would be great to meet others from the board and see your Saluki in person.

Roberta

Justin Schoop

May 9, 2019, 8:54:18 PM5/9/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
REC, thanks. I won't be at the B-more spring fling. I'm in silver spring, right outside of DC so I do most of my riding through DC and surrounding areas. I did get wheels built by Baltimore Bicycle Works and highly recommend that shop.

phil k

May 10, 2019, 10:31:46 AM5/10/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Nice! I've always been on the look out for a green canti Saluki. I almost ordered a Waterford AHH, and requested Riv to put Saluki decals, canti, and paint it Saluki green. But the modifications added up, and I decided against it.

Hope you have fun with it!

Justin Schoop

May 10, 2019, 11:51:33 AM5/10/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Phil, thanks. From what I understand, the original owners wife had a rive mixte painted the same green and had saluki stickers and head badge applied by Riv because they owned salukis(dogs). The color is outstanding, with a really light sparkle to it in the sunlight.

I'm now trying to figure out racks/fenders/ and that sort of thing.

M G

May 10, 2019, 11:55:46 AM5/10/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Ha! you're a multiplicity of  Saluki.
Interesting that you went back to it.
For sure it's a great 'light hauler'
I found i loved it when it had 20 - 40 lbs on it.
Unladen, it was less sprightly.
I used it a lot for work, which at the time involved carrying a lot of renovation supplies and tools.
I too would think about another one, but i still have my very similar Kogswell P/R which i use for same.
Enjoy the new one! (and vbrakes - so excellent)