Raid Bill's Stable: Nine bikes available For Sale

Bill Lindsay

Feb 5, 2020, 2:43:50 PM2/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
My stable is stocked with a whole bunch of sensational builds.  Executing sensational builds is maybe my favorite bicycle related activity.  I've got another build (or two) on the horizon that I want to do, and I'm able to do, but I just don't have the space to put them once the builds are done.  These builds have a fair bit of overlap and redundancy.  I love them all, but none of them is entirely indispensable.  So, just in case somebody wants a slightly used spectacular build for less money and less waiting than a brand new one, then here's a pizza menu for them.  Rather than make this a hugely long post with descriptions of each, I'll be super brief and list what it would cost to relieve me of any of these great bikes.  All of them fit me perfectly for the application for which they were built, and I'm 5'10" with a 75.5cm saddle height.

1. Turnkey 57cm Legolas Cyclocross Racing bike:  $4250
2. 59cm Roadeo complete:  $3500
3. Turnkey loaded touring build of a 56cm canti-Sam Hillborne (with single TT): $3000
4. Monster-commuter, or Swiss-Army-Knife drop-bar, 56cm 650B MIT Atlantis:  $2600
5. XC Racing carbon hardtail Niner Air9 mountain bike: $4500
6. Deluxe derailer-less two-speed custom Gunnar Crosshairs: $1600
7. Vintage Rossin 650B conversion road bike: $1000
8. Turnkey Eroica 1985 60cm Univega Gran Premio: $500
9. Rosco-Bubbe Road (blue lift-a-tube) complete: $950
10. Niner RLT9 650B Road Plus: $2600

If anybody has any interest in one or more of the above, please let me know.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

Ahmed Elgasseir

Feb 5, 2020, 4:17:05 PM2/5/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Wow!!! Impressive! I’m interested in the 56 Sam. Would you mind sending me some pics?

Thanks so much
Ahmed

Ahmed Elgasseir

Department Chair, Visual and Performing Arts

Castilleja School

1310 Bryant Street

Palo Alto, CA 94301

P (415) 654-7977

E aelga...@castilleja.org

www.castilleja.org

Follow us on Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

Women Learning. Women Leading.

Bill Lindsay

Feb 5, 2020, 4:53:40 PM2/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'll post photos of Sam Hillborne tonight.  It has some really great details.  Here are a bunch of words on what is included

Sam Hillborne frame and fork.  56cm Orange.  Purchased by me new from Riv in December 2009
Velo Orange Rinko Headset

SON Deluxe front hub, White Industries MI5 Rear hub.  HED Belgium C2 Plus Rims.  Gravel King 700x38 semi knobbies.  9 speed 11-32 cassette

Sugino Mighty 900 crankset (172.5mm arms, 22/32/42 rings).  Shimano single sided SPDs.  Deore XT Rear Der (modified for Rinko).  Campagnolo Mirage Front der.  Silver Stem Shifters.

Nitto Crystal Fellow Seatpost, Avocet O2 saddle.  Nitto Pearl stem.  Nitto Soba Noodle handlebars.  Dia Compe 980 brakes, Shimano 105 aero brake levers.

Nitto Campee F27 front rack.  Ostrich Panniers.  SON Edeluxe 1 headlamp.  Velo Orange aluminum fenders, modified for Rinko.  SON Edeluxe wiring with inline magnetic connectors to alternatively accept Sinewave Revolution charger (included).

Ostrich Rinko bag, Bell, two King Cages

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 11:43 AM Bill Lindsay <tape...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Ahmed Elgasseir

Feb 5, 2020, 5:57:19 PM2/5/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Incredible build! That must have been fun! I await the pics. Thank you!

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/5f271bfe-bf2e-4c4e-8940-a9caac8cd0e1%40googlegroups.com.

Joe Bernard

Feb 5, 2020, 6:09:30 PM2/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
There's a lot of bikes on that list without sizes.

Bill Lindsay

Feb 5, 2020, 6:18:16 PM2/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
They are all my size :)

1. Turnkey 57cm Legolas Cyclocross Racing bike:  $4250
2. 59cm Roadeo complete:  $3500
3. Turnkey loaded touring build of a 56cm canti-Sam Hillborne (with single TT): $3000
4. Monster-commuter, or Swiss-Army-Knife drop-bar, 56cm 650B MIT Atlantis:  $2600
5. XC Racing carbon hardtail Niner Air9 size Large mountain bike: $4500
6. Deluxe derailer-less two-speed custom Gunnar Crosshairs 58cm: $1600
7. Vintage Rossin 650B 59cm c-to-c conversion road bike: $1000
8. Turnkey Eroica 1985 60cm Univega Gran Premio: $500
9. Rosco-Bubbe Road (blue lift-a-tube) 58cm complete: $950
10. Niner RLT9 59cm 650B Road Plus: $2600

BL

Joe Bunik

Feb 5, 2020, 6:27:52 PM2/5/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I believe a $24.5k FS post is a new [RBW] list world record! ;-)

=- Joe Bunik
Walnut Creek, A
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/b26a1856-adae-4cae-8c6f-13e1d8840d0d%40googlegroups.com.

WETH

Feb 5, 2020, 6:30:34 PM2/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Bill,
Any pics and info on Rosco Bubbe road? Each batch was a bit different. Was this a road batch? Horizontal rear drop out?
Thanks,
Erl
Ps: your size is my size :)

christian poppell

Feb 5, 2020, 6:35:29 PM2/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Quite the list Bill! What bikes are you keeping? What inspired this massive sell?
Christian
Berkeley, CA

Christopher Cote

Feb 5, 2020, 6:40:58 PM2/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Is the Atlantis a Waterford or MIT model?Do you have a link to the geometry? The current chart on Riv's website doesn't list a 56cm model. Thanks!

Chris

tc

Feb 5, 2020, 7:09:47 PM2/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Wow!  And I thought Leah was asking only $1800 for her Betty!

Tom

PS. Good luck!

On Wednesday, February 5, 2020 at 2:43:50 PM UTC-5, Bill Lindsay wrote:
My stable is stocked with a whole bunch of sensational builds...

Bill Lindsay

Feb 5, 2020, 7:23:04 PM2/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Erl

Yes it was a roadish geometry setup.  It does have a horizontal rear dropout.  I'll take pictures for you when I'm back up in Arnold (where the bike is currently).

Bill
Message has been deleted

Bill Lindsay

Feb 5, 2020, 7:25:23 PM2/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Christian

I'm only intending to sell 2 or 1 (and zero is OK also).  The untouchable today is my Norther-Lyon brevet bike, but I suppose I could have listed it for $6000.  Everything is for sale at the end of the day.

Bill

Bill Lindsay

Feb 5, 2020, 7:27:40 PM2/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Chris

Item number 4 on the list, described as a MIT Atlantis, is Made In Taiwan.  I don't have a link to geometry handy, but I imagine one could find it with the wayback machine.  Let me know if you need help with finding it.

Bill

WETH

Feb 5, 2020, 7:32:05 PM2/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Dear Bill,
Thanks for clarification. I own two Rosco Bubbe’s; they’re great bikes. Pics at your convenience is fine.
All the best,
Erl

Bill Lindsay

Feb 5, 2020, 7:32:45 PM2/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Chris asked for a link to the geometry.  I indicated one could find it with the wayback machine.  I went back to May 2019 and found it:

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

Applegate

Feb 5, 2020, 7:55:56 PM2/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I would very much love to know more about the #4 special. Thanks in advance!

Karl

Feb 5, 2020, 9:36:45 PM2/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
This is where I hate that you are my size Bill! I do not need a Legolas....I do not need a Legolas

Karl
Nash, TN

phil k

Feb 6, 2020, 11:47:57 AM2/6/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
This is quite the stable you've built up over the years! Your Legolos with the matching stem has been one of my favorite builds on this group.

Andrew Huston

Feb 6, 2020, 2:52:54 PM2/6/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Bill, could you send over a few photos of the roscoe?

stoker

Feb 6, 2020, 4:32:07 PM2/6/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
PM sent
Message has been deleted

Bill Lindsay

Feb 6, 2020, 7:49:21 PM2/6/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
A few people are waiting for photos of my 56cm Single TT Cantilever Sam Hillborne.  Somebody else asked about approximate standover height.   I'm calling the standover height at just a hair under 84cm.  I've attached one.  I apologize if Google rotates it.  You will figure it out.  I also posted a few more photos on my Instagram.

By far the most interest has been in the Hillborne and the Atlantis.  I'm kind of reluctant to sell them both, but I imagine I can get over it...

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

SH#4.jpg

Bill Lindsay

Feb 6, 2020, 7:59:31 PM2/6/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
For those who are interested in the Atlantis, here is the build info I've shared over email to a couple of you:

I don't have a great For Sale photo but it's been featured prominently on my Instagram lately.

It's a 56cm MIT Atlantis.  Stock Riv issue headset.

Wheels are Cliffhanger black rims (32 hole), Shimano Deore XT M750 (Japan) black hubs + skewers.  DT spokes.  Duro Miner 650B x 2.0 tires, with tubes.  Shimano HG50 11-32 cassette.

Shimano XTR M985 crankset and BB (172.5mm arms, 44/30 rings).  MKS pedals.  SRAM 1070 chain(s).  Deore XT rear der.  Microshift 10sp barcon shifters.  Shimano CX70 front der

SRAM S500 brakelevers.  Shimano CX70 brakes.  Nitto lugged stem (painted orange).  Nitto 48cm Noodle handlebars.  Nitto Crystal Fellow seatpost.  Brooks saddle.

Accessories included:  custom Haulin-Colin mini porteur rack, WALD basket and Swift Sugarloaf bag.  Small Sackville Saddlebag.  Three King Cages.

I will add/repeat that this Atlantis has been used as my commuter for a few months now.  I rotate ~5 bikes in this commuter role.  The Atlantis has been locked to metal bike racks on the UC Berkeley Campus several times, and as such there are plenty of small nicks and scrapes on the paint.  Definite beausage in my book, but not showroom.

Bill

Bill Lindsay

Feb 6, 2020, 8:11:46 PM2/6/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Correction on the build list.  The dynamo front hub is not a SON Deluxe.  It is a Kasai Dynacoil like Rivendell sells.  I used that one in part to facilitate a slightly easier integration with the magnetic interconnectors that drive the USB charger.

Bill

Bill Lindsay

Feb 6, 2020, 8:27:57 PM2/6/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
To be completely clear, it is the 56cm Sam Hillborne that has a Kasai Dynacoil dynamo front hub.

Sean Steinle

Feb 7, 2020, 9:16:39 AM2/7/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
It's a good thing the Ebisu isn't on this list or I might be in trouble!

Bill Lindsay

Feb 7, 2020, 9:53:26 AM2/7/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
The Ebisu is on extended loan in the family. It is untouchable for that reason.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito Ca

Justin, Oakland

Feb 7, 2020, 11:58:11 PM2/7/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Bill is not a great person to have nearly identical fit to.

Let me tell you

-J

Bill Lindsay

Feb 11, 2020, 1:23:17 PM2/11/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
There's been some interested emails but nothing serious has materialized yet.  The bikes for which there has been zero interest is interesting to me.  Nobody wants a light carbon mountain bike, which is not a big surprise in this group.  I was a little surprised that nobody wants a dialed in Roadeo, or an Eroica-ready bike, or a 650B road bike for 1/5th the price of a typical MUSA Saluki.  I guess Eroica bikes and 650B conversions are fun because they are projects.

I think the 650B Rossin is a really sweet bike.  Standard diameter tubing. Pretty thinned lugs without being flamboyant.  Classic robins egg blue.  Timeless 2x6 friction drivetrain.  Low Q classic cranks in 172.5mm.  It's really close to perfect.  It took P-clamps to get fenders on, so that's a mark against it.  Here's an album:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/45758191@N04/albums/72157713069028537

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

Matt Beecher

Feb 11, 2020, 4:02:26 PM2/11/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I sent an email about the roadeo, but got no response.

Best regards,
Matt in Oswego, IL

Bill Lindsay

Feb 11, 2020, 6:14:30 PM2/11/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Matt

You emailed me a year ago about a single speed but I haven’t received anything from you lately.

Bill

Matt Beecher

Feb 11, 2020, 6:23:33 PM2/11/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I just sent a private reply. Can you please reply if you got it?

Thanks,
Matt

Bill Lindsay

Feb 11, 2020, 7:14:10 PM2/11/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Matt

I did receive your test message and I replied to it.

Bill

John G.

Feb 11, 2020, 10:45:50 PM2/11/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm grateful I'm not Bill's size. That Rossin looks delightful, and the Univega is a STEAL at $500, especially considering the level to which Bill maintains his stable.

Karl

Feb 12, 2020, 8:24:30 AM2/12/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I still do not need a Legolas.... but it’s my size.... doh!

Karl
Legolas-less in Nashville, TN

Bill Lindsay

Feb 12, 2020, 9:37:27 AM2/12/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've got the Legolas set up with 700x35 (37mm actual width) Bon Jon Pass Extralights right now, and have been using it as a road bike while the trails are still soupy.  I've taken both the Legolas and the Roadeo (with 700x32 Stampede Pass EL) on my typical ~40 mile hilly road routes.  They are both fun, both fast, but the Roadeo is decidedly more stable.  The Legolas is a fair bit twitchier and more nervous.  It's particularly notable when I'm pedaling hard at high cadence.  Like descending at ~30mph, and then you hit a short flat or rise and want to carry speed to the next stretch of descent.  Pedaling hard in the saddle to carry my momentum the front end reacts with a wiggle to every pedal stroke.  The Roadeo tracks straighter and takes that input in a more stable way.  On steeper descents I also feel more stable and in control on the Roadeo.  I feel alot calmer at 45mph on the Roadeo than I do on the Legolas.  The Roadeo feels like a stage race road bike, and the Legolas feels like a crit bike.  Cyclocross racing kind of is a dirt crit, so it makes sense to me.

I do still think that a Nobilette Roadeo with cantilever brakes could be close to the ultimate.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

John G.

Feb 12, 2020, 8:29:13 PM2/12/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
What I really like about Bill’s Legolas vs Roadeo analysis is that is focuses so much on handling, rather than trying chase down some feeling based on tubing. I’ve never ridden a Legolas, but his description of how a Roadeo handles is dead on. You will be faster on your Roadeo than your other bikes, and you will feel really confident while you’re at it. The only reason I would ever sell my Roadeo is to size up to a 63cm.

Bill Lindsay

Feb 14, 2020, 2:51:33 PM2/14/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Update regarding the Sam Hillborne.  I rode it on my 40 mile hilly commute to the office this morning and I'm reconvinced that I radically underpriced it at $3k.  It's perfect.  I'm taking it off the market and putting it in the 'Not For Sale' pile.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

On Wednesday, February 5, 2020 at 1:53:40 PM UTC-8, Bill Lindsay wrote:
[...]

Mark Roland

Feb 14, 2020, 4:32:32 PM2/14/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Better not ride any of the other bikes to work for a while, Bill.

Bill Lindsay

Feb 14, 2020, 5:43:28 PM2/14/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I make a point to use them all.  They are all dialed.  My stable is dud-free right now.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

Bill Lindsay

Feb 14, 2020, 6:53:24 PM2/14/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
More updates:  I bought a couple parts here on the list for small tweaks to my Roadeo and my Atlantis, so I'll declare that those two bikes are also no longer for sale.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

Mark Roland

Feb 15, 2020, 8:17:50 AM2/15/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I wasn't implying duds--just the opposite, i.e, as you rode each bike, you become re-enamored with it, and take it off your list. It was a compliment and a mild bit of humor all wrapped up in one neat package (or so I imagined!) Keep dialing, Bill!

Ken Yokanovich

Feb 15, 2020, 1:40:54 PM2/15/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Seems like every time the irrational thought to sell a Rivendell strikes, I go for a ride and change my mind.  Not so much with other brands, in fact mostly the opposite. Good luck with sale or riding - whatever mood strikes

Bill Lindsay

Feb 15, 2020, 2:09:53 PM2/15/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
There were a few folks asking for photos of bikes #9 and #10, which are up in the Sierra Foothills.  I'm up here for the weekend and took a few photos.  Here is the link to the flickr album:

Bike #9, a 58cm Rosco Bubbe is $950 without the rack/basket/bag pictured
Bike #10, a 59cm Niner RLT9 is $2600 as pictured

Let me know if you have questions about either of these machines.

Bill Lindsay
Arnold, CA

Christopher Cote

Feb 15, 2020, 5:40:27 PM2/15/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Bill, what are the bars on the Roscoe Bubbe?

Chris

Surlyprof

Feb 16, 2020, 8:37:34 AM2/16/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have the same model 56 Hillborne. Not quite as high end build as Bill’s but dialed for me. Everytime I ride it I come to the same conclusion... I can never let go of this bike. Very reassuring that Bill, with his extensive experience, comes to the same conclusion.

Good luck with the sale of those other bikes that would fit me perfectly. I hope they move quickly out of the range of temptation.

John
Niles, CA

Bill Lindsay

Feb 16, 2020, 9:37:36 AM2/16/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Chris

The Rosco Bubbe has Jitensha bars by Nitto. They are 26.0 clamp diameter.

Bill

Jonathan D.

Feb 16, 2020, 12:05:01 PM2/16/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
There are several bikes I would love to buy but can’t justify right now. Do you have a pic of the Univega? I have a frame I want to build up and curious to see your build.

Bill Lindsay

Feb 21, 2020, 9:28:49 AM2/21/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Jonathan requested photos of bike #8, my Eroica-ready Univega Gran Premio.  This Suntour Cyclone Mark II stuff was really a benchmark in performance per dollar.  I've always been a big fan of the self-trimming front derailer, and the through the center cable routing on the rear der.  The brakes and crankset are timeless shapes, and the sealed bearing hubs will outlive us all.

flickr album
El Cerrito, CA

Keith Weaver

Feb 21, 2020, 11:31:42 AM2/21/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I have to say, I love this bike. I had a Univega touring bike in the same color, circa 1982(?) It was my first brand new road bike. I remember poring over the Univega catalog and really wanting one of those top of the line racy road models. I keep an eye out for them on Craigslist, but don't know if I could justify more space taken up  in the garage by another bike. Luckily for me, 61 is about 8-10 cm too big for me, so I can let this one pass me by.

Cheers,
Keith

Mike Godwin

Kiley Demond

Feb 22, 2020, 1:38:42 PM2/22/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
One more for the Gran Premio. It was my first lightweight road bike (Raleigh and Motobecane were its predecessors); I rode my bike everywhere, even to work when the weather was good (and the Bay Area is the good weather capital of the world). My trusty steed in my one-and-only triathlon. I lived in Menlo Park right on the Sandhill Road bike loop and a housemate, a very serious cyclist, came home after bike shopping and told me Palo Alto Bicycles had a bike that might fit me (I was much taller than he) in the window. I think it was a 57cm or 23", or something like that. On sale. As a woman, that four-letter word was all I needed to hear. Something in the geometry made it fit me perfectly (I'm guessing it wasn't as stretched out as most men's road bikes). I rode it everywhere for years until something made me believe I needed a hybrid once I had kids. Thanks for the reminder!