trigger type shifters on a bosco

J Schwartz

Jun 24, 2020, 8:10:55 PM6/24/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Greetings
I'm considering putting a microshift 1x group on my Clem which has 52cm alu Bosco bars.  The shifter is a rapid-fire type of trigger shifter.
Looking at the bars and the angle that they come back, it visually seems like that may be pretty uncomfortable to shift.  I think all these types of shifters are generally used on more flattish bars.
Anyway, is anyone using this type of shifter on a 52cm Bosco?
thanks
JS

Deacon Patrick

Jun 24, 2020, 9:25:43 PM6/24/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
JS,

My proto GBW came with trigger shifter Shimano 1x11 with 58 Boscos and the setup worked as well as the kludgy shifter could work. I also used it on wavy and Jones bars. I shifted (pun intended, grooooaaaaan!) to Box 2 1x9 cassette, derailure and Riv's Silver Shifter 2 and am much happier, and would be on Boscos instead of Wavy if I hod those on there. Why? I much prefer friction shifting, and the Silver 2 is a delight and plays perfectly with the 9x, which has a heartier chain and better gear ratios for the riding I do. Far more flexibility in how to set up the shifter too.

With abandon,
Patrick

Weston Hein

Jun 24, 2020, 9:28:10 PM6/24/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've run Bosco's with Sram GX 2X10 triggers mounted in 2 different positions.

Originally mounted them right above the brake lever and grip, in the "standard" position. This worked fine for shifting from the grips and was comfortable but the shifter got in the way of wrapping my hand around my favorite hand position on the Bosco: the downward curve of the bar that's right ahead of the main grip area.

I then moved the shifters farther forward on the bar, past the bend and mounting them on the downward slope of the bar. Inspiration photo from Riv:

And WOW, do I love it. It's extremely ergonomic when riding on the curve of the bar (which I tend to be in most of the time). It allows you to fully wrap your hand around that curve and get some serious out of the saddle leverage (while still being able to shift) and it's not much of a reach from the swept back grip area.

Downside is that the shifters are a huge eyesore in that position and look really klunky/out of place, but whatever!

I also angle my Bosco's down quite a lot so that may play into it but I highly recommend giving it a go! I really like trigger shifters and think they function great on the Bosco (aesthetics aside).

Ed Carolipio

Jun 25, 2020, 2:25:37 AM6/25/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I tried a pair of Deore triggers on the wife's Clem and the 52cm aluminum version since she's got smallish hands, mounted in the standard spot with the brake levers and grips. Nope, nope, nope - just doesn't work great on grips that are parallel to the frame. Forward-and-down past the bend may be better but I didn't try it that way. Switched to the microshift thumbies and told the fam to work on their hand strength.

--Ed C.

J Schwartz

Jun 25, 2020, 10:09:39 AM6/25/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks Ed
this saves me the headache of finding that out for myself.
Those 52 Boscos come pretty far in.
best
Jason

Paul Clifton

Jun 25, 2020, 3:39:06 PM6/25/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
My wife likes the Altus trigger shifters on her small Clem L, but they don't work well for my mom. I think it comes down to thumb strength,  like Ed was saying, and range of motion, especially for shifting up a front ring. I don't know how wide my wife's Boscos are off hand, but I, personally, like the angle and ergonomics. It obviously doesn't work for everyone though, and adjustment is seriously limited by the shape of the shifter.

Here's how it looks. Thumb and finger land on the paddles in a plane parallel to the brake lever basically.
shifter-resize.jpg

Paul in Arkansas

Joe Bernard

Jun 25, 2020, 3:58:30 PM6/25/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I meant to answer this but somehow didn't hit Post so I'll try again (apologies if it came through somewhere and this is a rerun).

I've used triggers on various pullback bars including Bosco and they're fine, it just takes a little time to get the position you like. Microshift Advent worked a bit better than Shimano Deore for some reason, that's a really good shifter.